IJN Musashi by cog - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC - old tool

WOW Carl, that's all I can say. I need an optiviser looking at those pics ^_^

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice work Carl, plenty of detail and well worth the frustrations.

Mark - I wouldn't recommend wax of any type unless you are absolutely sure you will get it all off before painting?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Started priming some of the parts, they're drying now, dropped one which I can sand and repaint, fortunately not the tower ... or some of it's parts. So before getting all ... you know what, I cleaned my airbrush, and made myself a log bench from a piece of cherry ...

IMG_0382.thumb.jpg.14b43933056b7ed05c4fb8ac8f614886.jpg

Needs some smoothing, but we can sit, and I can ponder on my multitude of building erros ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, very nice work. I don't think they make strong enough meds for the migraine I would get trying to work with parts that small.  

Regarding the tweezers and Marks candle wax idea, would tool dip work? You should be able to thin it down. Or maybe a rubber cement like Barge?  You can think that way down and get a thin coat that might work. 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

HI CARL

NICE TO SEE YOURE STILL TOILING AWAY SHIPMATE.

I HAVE A NICE 4" BELT SANDER ,WITH SOME 60 GRIT BELTS,THAT WOULD FLATTEN THAT GARDEN BENCH A TREAT!!!

PITY I CANT DO MY GARDEN...RAINING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACTUALLY GOT SOME TIME OFF SO WILL BE DOING SOME BUILDING MYSELF FOR A CHANGE.

MUSASHI LOOKING GOOD....WELL FIDDLY ALL THAT PHOTOETCH.....BLACK CARPET THE ORDER OF THE DAY FOR ALL THE BITS THAT PING OUT OF THE TWEEZERS.

CHEERS FOR NOW...ALMOST RATION TIME.....MICK

Thanks for your concerns gents, and your support(!) it is well appreciated

Sam, I bought meself 3 detail up sets, Pontos, Fly Hawk, and Eduard. Now I can have some of the tiny parts jump around like fleas without me worrying about loosing a piece :D

Mick, Maybe you should come over - jump the creek - and have a go at smoothing out my bench ... You can do it in the garage,. dinner included, just let me know your preferences ;) - I know a few persons whom would like to trade places ... How's moving, and settling in going?

Carl

Some samples of my priming work, three to four layers each to get it covering the plastic. I'll be adding some dark tones to get some depth in the final layer(s). Right now it is a bit "sterile"

(Piet, hope these cause less "anxiety" on your fragile eyes ;) )

IMG_0416.thumb.jpg.31e1872ac484ad8ae81d6b328db0ce9d.jpgIMG_0417.thumb.jpg.02a65efc101beee372eafd68f15463ab.jpgIMG_0418.thumb.jpg.3452b67557c40661d2d2291a53ea23a2.jpgIMG_0420.thumb.jpg.5ab5ea981ff5aa1038bbc7950f4afe5b.jpg

Still some more airbrushing to do. Enough practise with this build(!)

Carl

Nice work, Carl.  It really shows when the image is clicked and enlarges.  (Piet..  hint.. hint... great for tired eyes).  I forget to click on the first batch above... my bad.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice airbrush work, Carl. What paint are you using and what pressure for your spraying.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken. I used vallejo air primer (airbrush ready mixture),pressure about 10psi, and use a double action airbrush. I would like to get one with a bigger cup for the quantity I need to prime, right now I keep on filling it: Spray a few items, refill ... and repeat ...

I kept about 4" - 6" space between the nozzle and the item, but for the narrow nooks and crannies, for those 2" with low pressure

Edited by cog

Carl

I have a gravity feed.....but I don't use it.   I like the siphon feed better.   I have one that has different size 'feed' bottles,  but I'm still using the Testor EZ airbrush set up.   it uses the bottle that the paint comes in {1/4 oz},  and I can do pretty much the entire job with it.   your paint work looks great......glad to see your getting in some build time :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Dennis. I like the double action on the gravity feed airbrushes, especially with the mesh in the PE. I can blow out the paint which forms a skin over the opening in the mesh. So far I haven't seen a syphon feed with double action. Although I've got a syphon feed type, I never used it. I should have a try with the one I've got even if it is merely for large surfaces or priming ...

Yesterday evening I found I had still some additional pieces for the funnel and the barrels on the turrets. Got the knife out and tweezers for another PE session ... don't be afraid, still lots of PE left :wacko:;)

Carl

not sure that there is,  since the paint doesn't get routed through the nozzle...although I think it does with the Aztek 320.   I have this one......with extra bottles and at least two of each tips........probably $400.00 for the whole shoot'in match.........and it sits in my closet.   here I am using a cheap $30.00 set up.........it does the job though,  so I can't complain,  I guess.

remember to blink every once in a while.....OK! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Carl,

Nice work, looks even better on a big monitor! AS far as double action siphon feed air brushes, what about the old Pasche vl work horse? I have one sitting in my tool box that I rarely use anymore. Never used anything else so I can really compare.

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/discount-class/u/VL-SET

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

These were sprayed at 20 psi, trigger pulled half open (thanks Pat) a lot less paint loss

IMG_3167.thumb.jpg.59c81e82794a773f2b267d12ea54e47c.jpgIMG_3166.thumb.jpg.726b6ad91b414c719990f8ea28da7024.jpgIMG_3168.thumb.jpg.d046b62a76da930cdf2cb88ac6a4c43c.jpgIMG_3169.thumb.jpg.48b083fcc9d75109d4a994288e3e0903.jpg

IMG_3180.thumb.jpg.1d5b3c9b8b78b23edbf4a75b768d91ad.jpgIMG_3181.thumb.jpg.690001b9673ec650b3beae6044d51076.jpgIMG_3182.thumb.jpg.4389a456d90260b7bc6196edddb8091a.jpg

And naturally, to keep my finger's dexterity into shape ... PE cutting and folding ...

IMG_3171.thumb.jpg.01c05e0fdd4b3d7492e5dc81ab45e6ca.jpgIMG_3170.thumb.jpg.491cd504c3ba74ded436cc6a1f5a6bbf.jpg

There is more where this came from ........

Carl

Nice even coverage there Carl; looks good.

I like the third-hand too :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat. Your information on the pressure worked well. That 3rd hand ... looks familiar ...?

The only thing I need to get beter at is my usage of CA, although, it has gotten slightly better ... less blobs ... at least when you look at the funnel (first thing of the build with hughe blobs) and the tower later build with less enormous blobs ;)

Carl

No showable progress. Presently I am making the tripple 25mm AA guns ... 29 of them, each 17 pieces :huh: I cut them per type, batch production, I am at the second piece which needs to be bent into shape ... there are only six pieces which do not need to be bent ... at least I will have a couple of nights "bendertainment" ... see y'all soon ... in about a week and a half, two weeks ...

Edited by cog

Carl

nice bit of progress there Carl.  what color are you using?  quite a P.E. task you got going there ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Dennis,

Thanks! This is just grey primer from Vallejo ... the grey top layer will be darker (IJN Grey).

PE, well for this tool version there is a heap. I found out that the kit expected the tripple 25mm AA guns to be the covered type. So I got my new AOTS on Yamato and Musashi out, and it appeared that from the thirty five tripple AA guns only six are the covered type. The Fly Hawk set only has PE for eight uncovered, and for twenty seven covered (plastic & a bit of PE), the Pontos set has twenty nine uncovered. So that was an easy choice, at least to get all looking a like ... The difference between eight or seventeen pieces ... why take the easy way out ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

Nice progress Carl and your airbrush work loos super. Even with clicking on the pics I still had to use Gwen's binocs :P

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks my friend, still a ways to go, although the sheets with PE are showing lots of empty spaces ... Darn, must ask if I can upload larger pictures for you Piet ;)

Hope you and Gwen are living on the sunny side of life again!

Edited by cog

Carl

On 9/10/2017 at 3:56 PM, cog said:

three to four layers each to get it covering the plastic.

Carl,

Even if i was adept with an airbrush each piece would appear to be crying with all the runs. Caught your build late must have been asleep, by the way fantastic build first class.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Welcome aboard mate.

Thanks, very much appreciated. You might be astonished with yourself if you give it a try. To be honest, so was I when I first started :) If you do it regularly, it is "a piece of cake", although, I do not know about Greg (RGL) his magnificent weathering, looks far more challenging than a plain spray job ;)

Cheers

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Got the perforated beams for the "flight deck" in place (need to take a picture during day time). Finished the covered 25mm AA (12x), and have all parts for the uncovered cut and bent. Remains to put them together. Easier said than done ... Unfortunately life keeps on getting in the way: Had to work last weekend again, so little progress (start to sound like Sam [src] ;) )

59d2b12294005_IMG_3190copy.thumb.jpg.e029d5e7f3364cdf22ff1f8789b10d9c.jpg59d2b12fc38e4_IMG_3189copy.thumb.jpg.1484e4d2d8a150b39f78d3f471b98578.jpg59d2b115926b1_IMG_3192copy.thumb.jpg.6cb1b63b29537a25f206997719478e32.jpg

Carl

as they say....any progress is good progress :)   nice work on the guns.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: