US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

With all the manipulating the hull while planking, the center section of the transom came un-glued. It'll be good the get the transom planked to protect it.

damaged transom 001.JPG

Here I'm bending and twisting a plank in several directions so it will easily fit on the hull. Most of the planks from now on will need the same treatment.

bending and twisting 001.JPG

Now I'm shaping the first garboard plank. It goes from vertical to past 45 back to vertical

shaping garboard plank 001.JPG

I just finished gluing the port and starboard garboard planks. By pre-shaping them, they just snapped into place.

port and starboard garboard 006.JPG

1/8" a day. That's slow planking. So, I'm still bending, shaping and gluing planks. Pre-shaping the plank on the hull really makes the gluing part easy. No forcing at all.

eigth of an inch a day 001.JPG

eigth of an inch a day 002.JPG

I'm showing pictures of plank progression since the plans do not have detailed pictures as the planking progresses. The center part of the hull is always the trickiest part, so I will take photos along the way so maybe it can help others building this kit.

more plank pictures 001.JPG

Moving right along! Well done.

Are you planking from both the keel up and the bulwarks down at the same time?  

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Another plank. I'm showing all progress in case someone really wants to see how long this planking process takes me and why. On many logs they show the beginning of the planking process...then wham....they show the whole hull planked. If it only was that easy.

another plank 001.JPG

I love the way my planks fit into place after all the pre-bending, twisting, beveling and wet pre-fitting I do. The fully prepared plank virtually snaps into place even without glue. I've come a long way from the first models where I wrestled with planks forcing them into place.

planking technique 002.JPG

planking technique 001.JPG

While the glue dries on my last plank, I'm wet pre-forming two planks putting the last bends, twists and curves before beveling and later tapering.

wet pre forming 001.JPG

Another pair of planks. so far so good with just the usual problems attached to planking

slow but sure 001.JPG

The first picture is of a pre-bent, pre-twisted, pre-beveled plank. The next photo shows this plank freshly glued in place. Notice...it doesn't need clamps!

pre-bent twisted plank 001.JPG

pre-bent twisted plank 004.JPG

I just discovered your build Rich. I'm joining in and following along.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Pre-shaping two planks at a time. I have also started tapering the planks as I run out of open hull space for full planks..

pre shaping two at a time 001.JPG

Nice job so far, Rich. I can't tell from your photos but have you lined out the hull. It looks like you're going to need some serious drop planks at the bow!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I agree with Greg.  The good thing is that all of the planking below the water line will be covered with coppering.  And the coppering is easier to do than you might imagine.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Greg, Gary,

You are correct, but I'm finishing this hull with veneer instead of painting, so as long as I have a nice smooth surface, I don't care.

More pre-bending. I'm using various methods to hold each plank since the places to hold them keep changing and shrinking. I use rubber bands, clips, nails or anything else that will hold the drying planks. After they dry I will bevel them to fit.

more pre bending and clips 001.JPG

more pre bending and clips 002.JPG