Sovereign of the Seas by Hennie - Sergal - 1:78

Hi all!!

Finally my kit arrived yesterday evening. I had to wait for her for 8 weeks:angry:. I wanted to take a picture of all what is in the box but my hobbyroom is simply not big enough to show it all:D.

Sergal renewed the building inscription, now also in Dutch:):).

I putted my new topic on the wrong place and also dubble:default_wallbash:, so I had to delete it all, so:

@Jörgen and @Sjors, you both have to renew your follow and @Eddie, thx for the tip. I hope I did it right now:)

Some pictures...

IMG_1528.JPG1.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG2.JPG

Holy cow Hennie, Thats huge!

"It's better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it"

Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Agustus McCrea in Lonesome Dove"

"Long may your big jib draw" 

An old greeting between sailors, of best wishes and the hope for good wind . 

Oh, the rollin' of the sea is beckonin' to me

Powerful first line of a song that best describs me.

Congratulations Hennie! And welcome to the wonderful world of the Sovereign! The wait will be worth it, I've enjoyed my build of her significantly. Mine is from the original Sergal production but basically the same kit. 

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

hey howya goin Hennie mate, welcome, yeah you got it right. I do love it when people show whats in the kit, best of luck mate.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

@FrozenRabbit: eehh, not your real name, is it:D. She isn't as big as my last finished ship (HMS Agamemnon - Caldercraft) which was 130cm, but still big enough. I dont like building small ships(my hands are too big:D).

@Anton: I always wanted too build this one. I remember a kit of the Sovereign of the Seas from the eighties in the last century. The ship was resting on two bronze wales and all the ornaments were real bronze. Could be Mamoli?? The kit was at that time very, very expensive. In your valuta about 1850 Australian Dollars and that was 35 years ago!! Nowadays probably double that price or more. Its very pity that It doesnt exist anymore.

@Eddie: And its just half the kit what you can see :D

Everyone out of my way please !

I see a nice seat over there.

Good luck with this beauty Hennie....and you know....when I'm coming, there should be a popcorn machine so.....

Sjors

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

Good luck with your SoS Hennie. It's a beautiful galleon. I will be following with interest. I just want to ask that why delivery took 8 weeks? Isn't it too long? Where dit it come from?

Best regards,

Mustafa

Looks like a fun build, Hennie! If all of those green boards are decorations, you must have a lot of painting ahead of you :D!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

19 minutes ago, Sjors said:

The kit came from the moon Mustafa :D:D:D

And the space shuttle runs out of fuel.........( sorry )

Sjors

Sjors, it would come even faster from the Moon :)

hello Hennie........a very nice kit indeed.  should be an interesting build :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, Hennie said:

@Anton: I always wanted too build this one. I remember a kit of the Sovereign of the Seas from the eighties in the last century. The ship was resting on two bronze wales and all the ornaments were real bronze. Could be Mamoli?? The kit was at that time very, very expensive. In your valuta about 1850 Australian Dollars and that was 35 years ago!! Nowadays probably double that price or more. Its very pity that It doesnt exist anymore.

I don't ever remember mamoli producing a Sovereign kit only Sergal. I still have my fathers catalogues from the 70's and 80's haha 

Are your decorations not real bronze? My sergal pieces are but saying that my kit is of the 80's vintage possibly late 70's judging by the box art and instruction booklet.

Anton T

Current build

plastic kits are usually date stamped ......one can figure out the production and mold.   as the molds are improved and updated,  they change the date.   wooden kits are hard to discern,  we can only go by the box,  whether it is laser cut,  or if there is a date stamp on the instructions or QC production card.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Hennie 

You will thoroughly enjoy building this ship.

I am currently working on my version of the SOS by De Agostini and am up to the rigging stage.

look up my Snoepert version if you are interested.

Gr,

eddie

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

Current Projects: Souvereign of the Seas by De Agostini

Sciabecco. By Amati

Finished projects: Port Jackson by Modellers Shipyard

Botter boat by Amati

King of the Mississippi by Artensia Latina

Endeavor by Artensia Latina

G'day hennie, not sure what path you're contemplating with the sovereign but just for you're interest I've added a couple sketches to show the main changes I made to mine to modify her. These will need to be taken into consideration before planking etc so thought I'd point them out to you.

As I've made my gun decks straight and not following the sheer line (the false decks for the half guns are still fine, however you need to adjust the position of the wood blanks to take the barrels.) All upper decks, f'cstle, half deck, quarter deck need to be laid level so trimming of the frame notches are required here. Only the poop keeps the original incline. The forepeak deck is raised by 7mm total height including deck planks. 

Staying with the upper decks, the quarter and poop will need to be trimmed down to match the stern facia if you're changing this to match the Ley painting. Also the frames 10-12 will need to be faired quite a bit to suit the new run of the planks. (This is only the upper parts of the frames from the middle wales. Below this the hull I haven't changed) 

brings me me to the stern. The whole face is reduced in width and taper. The curve of the transom is changed from a large curve and a smaller curve above to one continuous curving transom. And the overhang of the stern galleries are removed. Sergal builds the stern as a wrap around gallery connecting with the quarter galleries so another thing to keep in mind if you want to modify. :) 

Hope it's not too daunting! Below a couple sketches, the black shows roughly the sergal hull - the redmy modifications 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anton T

Current build

@mtbediz: dont know why it took so long. Perhaps they thought it was space-ship instead of a sailing-ship and send it to the moon like Sjors said.

@Sjors: thx. I unpacked the whole box today to see if nothing was damaged and all is there. Seems ok to me. I also noticed the decorations of the Sergal SotS is totaly different. And I also had to go to the Gamma today, to get some stuff to put everything in the right angle. I dont have Lego blocks anymore:angry: I had over 10000000 once, but the kids toke it all with them, when they went living on there own.

@Elijah: thx. But I will not paint the decoration. Its all brass. I looked at several SotS buildings of Sergal and it looked very nice to me, if not painted.

@Jörgen: thx, still seats available for watching:D

@Popeye: I agree, cant wait to start, but I want to study the instructions first.

@eddie: I know you're building the SotS. I studied your blog. I want to paint my ship the same as yours.

@Anton: thx for your info. Still its a pity its not for sale anymore. In my memory it was also a bigger scale than our ships. I saw it finished in a modelshop arround 1980. I remember they told me, it was

insured for 10000AUD at that time. I cannot use your modification because there are woodprints -if that is the right word for it- of all the gunports. When I use your mod., it wont fit anymore. Just like you mentioned in your own blog, I dont like the way Sergal prefabt the decks, so I ordered at Cornwall Model Boats in England Tanganyka Strips 0.5x4mm to planck the decks.

Hennie

Hennie, i am looking forward to watching as you create the beautiful ship that is hidden within all the parts spread out on your worktable. I have been following Sjors as he built the Agamemnon and his current SOS build. I have learned a lot from his posts and I am sure I will learn just a much from you. Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship with us!

Donn

Congrats on finally receiving your ship and fine one it is.  Safe me a seat okay?  I'll be following your progress. At least Sjors is pushing his popcorn machine over for us, what a guy!

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

@Donn and @Piet: thank you both for your kind words. Sure we can learn from each other. When I was building the HMS Agamemnon, I frequently looked at the buildings of other people and it kept me many times from making mistakes. And the same now with my SotS.

Allready made a mistake at the beginning as the picture show. Glad I could fix it. Also I noticed a difference between a model of Caldercraft and this ship from Mantua. Specially the way it all fits. The instructions are not as clear as I used to with my Aggy. So I will frequently as you all for help:)

Still it will become the most beautifull ship I ever build....

Some pictures:

IMG_1534.JPG1.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG2.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG3.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG4.JPG

Looking good Hennie! I highly recommend the use of fillers at the stern to get the correct shape of the rounded transom. It's a real pain without any, though it is quite a sharp curve nonetheless especially compared to your aggy.

Anton T

Current build

What a fine start you have made. I wish you best of luck through the steps. It's looking very good. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Don't forget the stern also, my kit didn't provide anything below the transom and it's easy to plank it with too sharp a curve upwards.

Anton T

Current build