HMS Bellerophon by flyer - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - scale 1:72

Peter,

V. Nice indeed -- PS: I learned something watching a youtube plastic model ship channel regarding flags.

The builder used aluminium foil glueing the flag to the foil. Then adding another flag face to the other side of the foil. This allowed

the builder to create very realistic folds of the flags. Yes working with much smaller "bits'. But I may try this later on my current project.

Would like the flags to actually hang limp from their staffs - something that I still have difficulty achieving even after using fabric starch.

Regards as always,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Chuck of Syren fame on his Cheerful build printed the flag on tissue paper then used a spray fixer.  Looked so realistic -- on the Syren website you can down load the last pdf pages which shows how it is done...

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thank you all for the great feedback and all the likes.

First of all I must apologize for the wrongly set spanker. I had it reversed and with the upper side (stay) against the mast. Put up correctly it is placed a bit lower and with the lower side more horizontal. But the distribution of the sails is about the same and thus the overall impression.

I appreciate the inputs with the printed tissue / alu-foil flag and did check how Chuck does it.

So far I used self painted flags, made from the same thin cotton I used for the sails, and I think I quite tolerably got the hang of hanging them. So I stay with that procedure but I could anyhow try to print them.

As for sail material - I checked MSW for silkspan sails and the making of them and admire how they look. But I still hesitate to try that rather complicated process. On the other hand I found some cotton fabric which is lighter than what I used for Pickle and America and has an even higher thread count. After the initial washing it is half transparent and has a colour of light eggshell or ivory which does away with the necessity of additional dying. I believe I even could attempt brailed up sails with that stuff.

A first try with the spanker will tell.

The sails and yards on that Gardner painting are arranged in a way which seems to indicate that they came in with a following wind with yards squared and spanker brailed in (it wouldn't draw with a wind from dead astern) and now they seem to stop the ship by taking in more sails and then probably backing some.

However I want to brace the yards to reduce the space used by the model and to create a dynamic impression. But then you would be on a course with a more quartering wind and the spanker would draw and should be used - probably also to balance the jib. The one topgallant sail I would like to set fully because it would emphasize the enormous height of  the whole sailing machine. Hence the proposed changes to Gardener's painting.

Again thanks

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I just came across a a new documentary on the anatomy of HMS Victory that I thought might interest you and other followers of this log. There's enough similarities between Vanguard and Victory that this was well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61SYvhojGvg

Complete:

OcCre HMS Beagle 1:60

Amati Victory Models HMS Pegasus 1:64

In Progress:

Amati Victory Models HMS Vanguard 1:72

After lots of agonising I started with a couple of furled sails..I will do a mix of full and furled..   so thanks for your great dry runs with the paper..super idea

IMG_20220831_153110738.jpg

IMG_20220831_153057188.jpg

Edited by Ian B

Hi Techtonic

Thanks for that great video. There was quite a lot of information in it and hearing the correct pronunciation of many things was an additional bonus.

Did you already decide which variant you will build?

Hi Ian

Your sails look good!

Me, I'm currently setting up the spanker and should have some pictures in a few days.

Cheers

Peter

13 hours ago, flyer said:

Did you already decide which variant you will build?

My current leaning is towards HMS Bellerophon since I like the mythological link with my previous HMS Pegasus build. A month or so back I painted the transom decoration and figurehead. I followed your lead with the transom decoration and modified the Elephant resin one. Here is what I ended up with:20220902_212241.thumb.jpg.57e023ac3f6868b91083cf77a2d423b3.jpg

I like the result - but I noticed a problem when trial fitting it to the boat. My intended resting place for the boat will have it viewed mainly from the port side, which means the figure head is looking away from the viewer, which is not his best side. So I may end up switching to doing HMS Vanguard instead.

Here's a couple of other shots of my progress so far. I've just finished doing the dummy lower gun carriages and gun port linings:

20220902_212730.thumb.jpg.194abfe96b6be651a55762e0c004e9fa.jpg20220902_212751.thumb.jpg.99faeda513398b6aa90dc3e763646a42.jpg

Complete:

In Progress:

14 hours ago, flyer said:

Your sails look good!

Me, I'm currently setting up the spanker and should have some pictures in a few days.

I found this log a few days ago which includes some nice details on making furled and set cloth sails - I thought the end result looked very good. I'm definitely considering something similar for when I get to the sails. https://modelshipworld.com/topic/3741-queen-annes-revenge-1710-by-shipmodel-finished-136-scale/page/6/#comment-283055

Complete:

In Progress:

Techtonic, your transom really will look good. Well done!

The ship is coming along nicely too - it's a pity I can't find your build log.

As some food for thought I have a picture showing our hero's left side. It doesn't look bad and with all the rigging also being prominent in view, I think you need not to base your decision about which variant to build on that view of the figurehead alone. And resting places may change...

IMG_2544.jpg.70e0320d22f4385b197a3cf02ffc706f.jpg

I am in complete agreement with Flyer .. but then I will always chose the flying Bellerophon when offered a choice.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

13 hours ago, flyer said:

Techtonic, your transom really will look good. Well done!

The ship is coming along nicely too - it's a pity I can't find your build log.

As some food for thought I have a picture showing our hero's left side. It doesn't look bad and with all the rigging also being prominent in view, I think you need not to base your decision about which variant to build on that view of the figurehead alone. And resting places may change...

Thanks for the port side pic, it doesn't look bad - just doesn't look as interesting as from starboard. I'll probably stick with Bellerophon but I've got a while before I need to commit.

I considered doing a build log but never pulled the trigger on this one.

Complete:

In Progress:

sails

The first sail I made was the spanker. I found really light and yet dense cotton which has a natural, light yellow color after washing. So I decided to make cotton sails the same way I did for the last builds.

The seams of the cloths are just penciled on with a medium soft pencil.

The bolt rope is laid into the hems with cringles formed by leading the boltrope in a short bow outside of them. Clews are small loops of the bolt rope at the corners. The hems are glued with a textile glue which is fixed with a heated flat iron.

Reef bands and linings are also glued onto the sail. Holes were prepared for reef points and lacing the sail to yards, gaff or mast. Finally reef points were put in.

While setting up gaff, boom and spanker I found it preferable to attach the stern lanterns - at least provisionally - to avoid them conflicting the boom or any rigging.

They were soft soldered. From some thin cellophane I cut 'glass' for the windows. However this is hardly worthwhile as the 'glass' is only barely risible.

IMG_2527.jpg.6d176452f7d5d997fd87fee5b0632a0f.jpgIMG_2519.jpg.cb40841ac818d790d2b00fa6b1f98c5d.jpg

sail maker at work

IMG_2526.jpg.c74b2bb6146612166bbc4a69872223c7.jpg

spanker hanging on main topmast stay - just to check its appearance

IMG_2539.jpg.50e94707258d9431b8db39c1911e0016.jpg

lantern parts

IMG_2529.jpg.1c0e2312b0b1c32badcb3bcdbfce4c21.jpg

lantern substructure before soldering

IMG_2532.jpg.42bfac8180942fb944e37f5b64cd922b.jpg

ready to put up the lantern...

IMG_2546.jpg.11778ab115e96bac880099ea31caf22a.jpg

...and provisionally installed

Edited by flyer

The spanker looks great Peter!

What material did you use? And how did it compare to the material supplied in the kit? A week or so back (I know I'm a long way from the sails stage, but nothing like planning ahead!) I searched around Joann's, which is a large fabric store chain over here in the US. I bought a sample of the finest cotton they had. But when I got it home and compared it to the material in the kit, it was no finer and had more imperfections in the weave.

While I was there I did also get some cream plain bridal veil netting which looks like it will work great for the hammock cranes, etc. So not a complete wasted visit.

Complete:

In Progress:

It's natural cotton found at a local fabric store. After explaining what I was looking for, the owner helped to search the finest, nearly unbleached natural cotton. After washing it was still a little whiter than the kits fabric. It is less transparent but much denser woven - a valuable find.

For this build I omitted the staining of the cotton with a mixture of black and sage teas. But pencil grit from marking the seams smudged the finished sail nicely.

IMG_2557.jpg.43808d9dbe2f30290f7c0c4ea771ab3f.jpg

my cotton on the left and what was in the kit on the right

Peter - also very nice work with your sails.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Beautiful work Peter!  Turning into a magnificent model!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 9/6/2022 at 10:12 AM, flyer said:

It's natural cotton found at a local fabric store. After explaining what I was looking for, the owner helped to search the finest, nearly unbleached natural cotton. After washing it was still a little whiter than the kits fabric. It is less transparent but much denser woven - a valuable find.

For this build I omitted the staining of the cotton with a mixture of black and sage teas. But pencil grit from marking the seams smudged the finished sail nicely.

IMG_2557.jpg.43808d9dbe2f30290f7c0c4ea771ab3f.jpg

my cotton on the left and what was in the kit on the right

Thanks for  the side by side pic. Your cloth is a surprisingly big improvement on the kit cloth. A pity I couldn't find anything like it at my local fabric store. I don't suppose you recall if the material had any specific name? That would make it easier to find in online stores.

Complete:

In Progress:

I'm afraid there wasn't any specific name - just the 'lightest, densest cotton you have'. I think the owner mentioned that it's used to make light blouses. Unfortunately they don't have an online store.

spanker

The spanker was laced to the gaff and the mast.

The finished model should depict a situation where light winds from the aft port quarter just ceased for a moment (I don't want to show the sails swelled up because I consider  this rather difficult and additionally would mean Bellona couldn't be on an even keel). So gaff and boom are swung to starboard but the sail as well as parts of the rigging are hanging limp.

While belaying the various lines I found that although the belaying pins look a bit plump, the holes for them are still  too large and the pins have a tendency to jump out and get lost. On former builds I could push them into the holes with a little force and they were just jammed tight. Diluted glue was necessary here to keep the pins in.

IMG_2566.jpg.a9ad4dfc0527b19f3018f53c1b26af1c.jpg

spanker set

IMG_2564.jpg.b76921f857057139e1290df9c86b4462.jpg

sail laced to gaff and mast

IMG_2561.jpg.21dcf2b5a46731a92223b6611d75def0.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg.d372d96413fc6bfee969421728ef665d.jpg

spanker viewed from port and starboard

Edited by flyer

That looks superb..roll on the other sails 

16 hours ago, Techtonic said:

A pity I couldn't find anything like it at my local fabric store.

Techtonic

If you would rather go with cloth such as Egyptian cotton instead of non-woven material such as silk span, look for very high thread count sheets or pillow cases.  They come in a variety of colors which is a plus so you may not have to dye anything.   The tighter the weave the more expensive, but this could be the answer for you.  There is a bit of controversy over thread count definitions, but the best thing is to go look at it at a store to actually see how fine the weaves are side by side.  Before switching to silk span a few years ago, when I would shop for cloth I would take a magnifier to compare different cloths.  Keep in mind that machine sewing cloth at the scales we normally see in this hobby is going to be out of scale.  Pencil lines for the cloths' seams and hand stitching for the bolt rope are alternatives that can work well.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...

crossjack, mizzen topsail yard and sail

First thing was the making of the mizzen topsail. It is penciled and glued according to the kit's plan - a great help and a mark of the quality of the kit.

Setting up the crossjack was pretty straightforward. In order to create a more dynamic picture and to save space I braced the yard. Trying not to put too much pressure on shrouds and other standing rigging and to get a noticeable effect I settled for an angle of about 20°. Before fixing the running rigging accordingly, I put up the topsail yard as well to check the feasibility of the whole arrangement.

A few forgotten blocks on the yards were easily added. Another problem was the block for the topsail yard lift which suddenly appeared on the plan for rigging stage 5. It must be spliced between the first two shrouds of the mizzen topmast and should better be included, when setting up those shrouds.

As always I didn't use separately made rope coils but did make coils with the actual ends of the threads. It's a bit tedious and looks less uniform and tidy - in my eyes more naturally (Bellerophon isn't actually ready for an admirals inspection but just in an everyday state). Those coils are fixed with diluted glue. An additional benefit - which I was already glad to have several times - is the possibility to soften the coil with water and reset a rope with some additional length available.

490057145_IMG_2578(1).jpg.2d22e32879d041852c8dddfea1deaabc.jpg

sail in the making

IMG_2570.jpg.9f43d00cdadcad78290d2bc57a4db5a4.jpgIMG_2571.jpg.a8e060173b082ed64478a2e943cbcafd.jpg

crossjack in place

IMG_2579.jpg.800ebaeaeeb194e1f2170fdd53b48b15.jpg

block for topsail yard lift wedged between the shrouds

IMG_2581.jpg.c08ca04d89f233f90a26bbcf41063ff4.jpgIMG_2583.jpg.dae3081cd6d33f426d3b222e20594754.jpg

mizzen topsail set

IMG_2590.jpg.57d9689b4eac76f6aebf412a76ef0b9d.jpg

the pin rails are filling up

IMG_2595.jpg.14d6732e9729a6dfd92b2396b88b8ca9.jpg

the mizzen top - one of Stephen Maturins favorite places

IMG_2585.jpg.42fcaffc166cf87c8a3efd3a8b3ac529.jpg

the sails begin to draw

Excellant photos!

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

On 9/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, Techtonic said:

I just came across a a new documentary on the anatomy of HMS Victory that I thought might interest you and other followers of this log. There's enough similarities between Vanguard and Victory that this was well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61SYvhojGvg

FYI the second episode of this is now available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrC3yMMDsc8 and just as interesting as the first.

HMS Bellerophon even gets an honorable mention at around 27:15.

Complete:

In Progress:

• 2 weeks later...

the new crew from Vanguard Models

After seeing Chris Wattons crew figures I had to try and hire a few of them. In my opinion, they surpass all expectations. The lively and individual stance of the figures makes them come alive. The details, such as faces with individual features, are just unbelievable - true works of art - and this in scale 1/72!

I read what Chris Watton wrote about having more figures sculptured and the cost of each individual masterpiece, but -

"Chris, if you ever have time to think about making more figures available, I humbly suggest to make a few more working seamen doing everyday work , such as a lookout or one climbing the rigging or scrubbing the deck. You should be able to sell more of them, than of costly individual figures of heroes - after all one skipper per ship is sufficient but you need hundreds of seamen. (However a captured Napoleon in 1/72 on the poop deck of my Bellerophon would just look great...)"

Back to Bellerophon: There seems to be a problem with carronade number 5 on the poop deck. A gunners mate is discussing it with the gun captain while two of his crew await orders. The skipper is watching the proceedings from some distance. A very quick and moderately able painter was fortunately there to catch the scene.

The figures are painted with standard admiralty paint. Initially I wanted to remove the bases but was afraid of some involuntary foot amputations. After painting the bases yellow ochre they are quite unobtrusive and blend in with the deck sufficiently to let them stay for the time being.

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg.f7a007f0a822d04ff7908c6460ec1f8c.jpgIMG_2623.jpg.614ccf8bf037d623e9f2bd1f49d3d6a3.jpg

that seems a rather engaged discussion

IMG_2628.jpg.463ee4d40cde6bae1b6c9782aada7607.jpg

the skipper looks quite content with his new uniform

Edited by flyer

mizzen topgallant yard and sail

According to my sail plan the mizzen topgallant sail is furled. Zu Mondfeld recommends to reduce the area of furled sails by about one third - to get a smaller coil of sailcloth.

This I followed and made a smaller sail, however with the same width of head and foot. Seams were penciled on and the hem was glued as usual, but no reef bands ore linings were put on. Also the boltrope covers only the head and the clews to further reduce the bulk of the furled sail.

The sail was then bent to the yard and tie, clew lines and simplified bowlines added. Now the sail was furled as tight as possible - but no harbor stow fit for an admirals inspection - and bent to the yard.  The clews are hanging down on the forward side as seen on various illustrations.

The yard was put up with its tie and fixed to the mast with a simple truss parrel according to Lees. A whole arrangement with parrel ropes, rips and trucks - as shown on the kits plans -  seems to me too bulky for such a light spar and out of proportions.

Now lifts, braces and sheets were installed and balanced against each other to have the yard horizontal and braced parallel to the topsail yard and the crossjack. The clew lines were set up to fix the clews against the pull of the sheets.

Each pull on one line of course sets up the balance and requires adjusting of several other lines - a heartwarming procedure which gives a lot of joy and generates a peaceful mind. (...)

The bowlines were set rather taut and help to fix the position of the yard.

Not all belaying points were marked on the plan and I had to change a few and find some new ones. As far as possible I used Lees as a help but sometimes I differed and looked for a simple and yet logical solution.

Lines were only provisionally belayed until all lines and forces were balanced (or nearly so) and then fixed with diluted white glue and the ends coiled up.

Now the mizzen mast is fully rigged except for the flag line and the next step awaits me - the mighty main yard with its furled mainsail and as an extra the stowed yard tackles.

IMG_2602.jpg.7b4a09e7b528fae570b668eaf3d85748.jpg

reduced sail marked in blue on the plan

IMG_2598.jpg.c3cb3e4f87a850ad276d716c3d5e9a5b.jpg

first side of sail marked on cloth

IMG_2605.jpg.340e8c765e58e1fe7e86af161ed51c5e.jpg

sail with lines attached - ready to furl

IMG_2610.jpg.bd2028723741a9a4d771a8ace789d01b.jpg

yard with furled sail, ready to hoist

IMG_2637.jpg.24ebe486c42c69134921ba2a4a7b9b6f.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg.6b40fcb81a40f49a3bfec5b98e5896eb.jpg

topgallant yard in position

IMG_2634.jpg.556f18eccfeb44b294713225958f1f64.jpg

mizzen mast with all spars on

IMG_2639.jpg.dbfcb6e6bde9841c47e4c665be956ae1.jpg

the poop deck gives now a properly busy impression

I find it interesting how you reduced the sail area... lowering the head, as I had seen this once before where the fellow scalloped the foot.

The end result is all that matters, and yours look pretty darned good!

Well done.  You taught me something today.  Thank you.

I imagine play rope snugging tag is as much fun as you make it out to be

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Thank you, Alan.

To reduce the sail area this way was just a random idea which for once seems to work.

I'm afraid I'm unable to express the real amount of fun I had setting up all those lines - there might be readers of minor age. Frankly, it wasn't too bad but a bit tedious.

After seeing my photos I had to start - as it very often is the case - to rework the sail stowing. The starboard clew looked to loose and was tightened.

Thanks again for the positive feedback. It's always a big motivation.

Peter

I used the technical I saw else where on here.. sorry I couldn't remember where..this gives a good nice shallowing towards the yard ends .

IMG_20221027_113351681.jpg

IMG_20221016_100501540.jpg

IMG_20221016_101126518.jpg

IMG_20221015_130959515.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Flyer,

As you might have seen I'm also building the Vanguard and I've been following your build for several years now and I,m still about a year behind, but your build has been a great source for inspiration and advise.

Right now I'm at a stage where I'm starting to plan the mizzen mast and I ran into something strange. The lower section of the mast is according to the specifications on the drawing (nr. 6) 387 mm long, and the part below deck seems to be 120 mm. But in reality as well as on the drawing nr 4 the part bellow deck is only about 97 mm. Did you shorten the bottom section of the mast with the 23 mm?

BR

Björn