IJN Mikasa by CDW - Wave Models - 1:200 scale - PLASTIC

you have both of those kits.........now I'm jealous!:o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

19 hours ago, CDW said:

Yes, the very early Revell kits had pre painted copper hulls below the waterline. Darn good paint, too. It held up just fine after all these years in the box. Box is in tatters, but box art still visible. Will take the kits out for some pictures when I can get around to it. 

One time years ago, a fellow sent me a ton of great information and line drawings of the Kearsarge. I have looked and looked for that package he sent but cannot find it yet. It had everything I needed to make corrections.

CDW, look forward to those images. If you can't find your line drawings for the Kearsarge, holler at me. I can probably get some copies of the plans also. Blue Jackets has a kit also which I believe we could get plans for also. Is the Kearsarge kit 1/96 also?

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

1 hour ago, Jonathan11 said:

CDW, look forward to those images. If you can't find your line drawings for the Kearsarge, holler at me. I can probably get some copies of the plans also. Blue Jackets has a kit also which I believe we could get plans for also. Is the Kearsarge kit 1/96 also?

Yes, it's 1/96. 

I need to do a side by side comparison of the Alabama and Kearsarge hulls/decks. It's been my understanding for a long time that Revell based one off the other and this leaves one of them (can't remember which) less accurate than the other. When I get them out to compare, will take some photos and post them.

Having had a few of both of these I googled "Revell CSS Alabama vs Kearsarge" and got a few good hits.  This one at the Steel Navy website is about the best and shows references for their conclusions  http://www.steelnavy.com/Alabama&Kearsarge.htm   I purchased the CI stuff and Scale Decks, someday might even open the box.........:P although that's against my rules - well,  I meant to post this on Jonathan's Alabama log - sorry, but you guys brought it up! :wub:  Steve M

55 minutes ago, coxswain said:

Having had a few of both of these I googled "Revell CSS Alabama vs Kearsarge" and got a few good hits.  This one at the Steel Navy website is about the best and shows references for their conclusions  http://www.steelnavy.com/Alabama&Kearsarge.htm   I purchased the CI stuff and Scale Decks, someday might even open the box.........:P although that's against my rules - well,  I meant to post this on Jonathan's Alabama log - sorry, but you guys brought it up! :wub:  Steve M

That's an excellent reference Steve, and I sure do appreciate you sharing the link with us here. 

Yes, as the reference article points out, the original hull design was for the Kearsarge, then it was adapted for use as the Alabama. I knew it was one way or the other but this straightens it all out.

What do you think of the Scale Decks? They sure do look good in pictures on Ebay.

They do look very nice, and they come with photo etch gun tracks to replace what you scrape off the kit deck to install them - I especially like the different color strips representing the planks, not just one monotone color.  Here is a YT video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCeLakDC1E  and another deck worth considering is the HIS Model version - this link shows the different items they have available specifically for the Alabama, which includes pre-sewn sails among other things  https://www.hismodel.com/articles-category-13  one thing you might notice is that their decks include treenail detail.  I've been meaning to order one for a side-by-side comparison......Steve M

I did wooden decks for my United States model........quite a chore.  had to do a second set because I've taken so long to continue the build.   I acquired the Constitution last year and was contemplating doing them for it also,  but I found out that there is a wooden deck set for it.  I'm sure they would have worked for the United States,  but I did them before I knew about the scale deck offering.  I've always hated the multi section assembly.

I'd probably never see either of those kits in my lifetime ;)   I believe that the Alabama had a shorter hull that the Kearsarge.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

44 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I believe that the Alabama had a shorter hull that the Kearsarge.

For the scale purist, I know that's a big deal and great modelers go to extraordinary lengths to correct those types of deficiencies. But to me, if I get it 90% close to the real thing, I would be happy as heck. I'm one of those who is more concerned with a different aspect of the model...the visual appearance. A hull could be 10' off in it's scale length and that wouldn't phase me none whatsoever. Unless someone pointed it out to me, I would never know and wouldn't care. I admire those who do care and fix those problems, but I just wouldn't be happy chasing that rabbit.

Hi everyone. I apologize for the lateness of this post - I had it bookmarked but as you'll see in the next paragraph there are reasons for it.

My wife is in the US Navy and we've *just* returned from our second tour in Yokosuka, Japan. I got back three weeks ago and got Internet access (and my computer back from our household goods shipment) yesterday.

The base is a 10-minute walk from the Mikasa and I've spent many a day there wandering her. I became good friends with CAPT Kouta, the president of the Mikasa Preservation Society, and he and I spent quite a few hours discussing the ship, her construction, and her history.

I have a collection of around 400 high resolution photos I've taken of her from stem to stern the past few years, including the still accessible below decks areas. It's a big set but I'll put it up on my Google Drive and send the link to anyone who might be interested. Anyone can email me at adrian.smith1@yahoo.com if you'd like the link to the photo set. It may take me a few days - I'm still unpacking.

CDW, your Mikasa is gorgeous. I plan on building the same kit with the Pontos PE in the next year. Thanks for you build log!

The only thing I can offer immediately is that I built the Hasegawa 1:350 Mikasa a few years back and presented her as a gift to CAPT Kouta. He immediately took great pains to point all that I'd done that was historically inaccurate! LOL! His biggest gripe was my paint scheme - I'd painted her in the black hull and striped stacks. He told me (and I have no reason to doubt him) that the ONLY time she was painted in this scheme was immediately after her launch in 1900 and during her transit to Japan. As soon as she arrived in Yokohama she was repainted in her grey scheme.

I look forward to being part of the community. Thanks!

-Adrian

16 hours ago, Adrian Smith said:

Hi everyone. I apologize for the lateness of this post - I had it bookmarked but as you'll see in the next paragraph there are reasons for it.

-Adrian

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your post and kind words. I had also read what the captain told you, that the paint scheme was only used when she was first built. But I still liked it and wanted mine to be dressed in a scheme I liked. I wold certainly love to see your photos when they are available.

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to MSW.  Once you get settled, a good place to put a link to them is here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/4-nautical-general-discussion/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Craig sorry to bump this thread but I have looked through the whole log and I couldn't find a paint reference for the superstructure grey - would you be able to advise please.

Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Thanks Craig

After reviewing your log at the weekend noted a lot  of discussion re rigging.

Not sure if someone had already pointed you in the direction of these - perhaps a bit late now?

Really liked your rigging deck attachment idea. I will do similar.

Richmond

1-350 Hasegawa Mikasa Instructions.pdf

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• The title was changed to IJN Mikasa by CDW - Wave Models - 1:200 scale - PLASTIC