Ship paintings

Vegaskip

Thank you Jim

Like the others I like your what I think are White Tailed Eagles. (I am not a bird expert) I suppose I should have realized that of course you paint other subjects than those with ships. As far as I'm personally concerned they are as interesting as your pictures with ships.

I had to privately laugh a little at the fact that you do paintings and seascapes and ships but your play toys are tanks. Well I suppose they are sometimes called  Landships. Years ago I was pretty heavy into RC ships yet I have almost never been on a large ship in person.

I know that people use models to form a reference for paintings Per. I once loaned the gunboat USS Oahu model I made from plans I was able to get from the Smithsonian Collection years ago. He pretty much set it up on a table and took a number of pictures at different angles and then used them for his painting. Even using his method or yours I would probably just create something that could be better done by a five year old. I can and have done drafting work and consider myself reasonably adept. But when it comes to forcing perspective I stink at anything more complex than a set of straight railroad tracks going to the horizon. Art with me is just like music. I can enjoy works done by others but can only produce the same effect by using a radio, record/tape/CD/MP3 player, or other like device.:(:blush:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The thing I like about the model Tanks is that their 'performance' is scale and they an be run almost anywhere and tine. The other thing is, my building days are long gone now, and these come ready to run, but of course I can still get the fun of 'Kit Bashing'. My ones come with Sound, smoke, BB firing ( with recoil) and two with infra red. They can even withstand a 'dusting' by my wife. My painting is my substitute for model ship building, they are very similar.09EEC980-4236-477C-BEAB-3078AF4035F2.thumb.png.a207b1f319239916e22b193b92a9abe2.png

'The thing I like about the model Tanks.... '

That is quite a tank... if you photoshopped that in to a Russian landscape I wouldn't doubt it was real. 

Be careful though....you might get a Russian knock on the door asking for their tank back!

And please keep the paintings coming .... they are as enjoyable as the builds.

Regards,

Richard

My wife and I were fortunate to be invited to take part in Dervish75. The 75 anniversary of the arrival of the first Convoy to Russia. A week of events in Arkhangelsk and St Petersburg we made quite a few friends, so I wouldn’t be surprised if one turned up at the door. ( don’t know if Auchtermuchty is on Russian Satnavs!!)

Jim

Jim,

That sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable visit.

I've never been to Russia but have had a very liquid 'lunch ' with some Russian pilots and engineers at the Farnborough Airshow...they were great guys and had some some amazing stories to tell - nothing sensitive, just Vodka talk.

I've found that almost all nationalities get on with each other...it's just respective Governments that muddy the waters.

I wonder what fishing boats were historically used in Arkhangelsk? OK, off on another Google search....;-)

Regards,

Richard

Edit: Those cod fishing boats look quite spectacular...https://www.romanovempire.org/media/cod-fish-fishing-boats-port-of-arkhangelsk-archangel-on-white-sea-northern-9ef98b

Edited by Rik Thistle

A highlight for me was a trip from SPB aboard an RF Navy auxiliary (Navigation Trainer) to Kronstadt! The Mariners Cathedral. But of course I knew something of the history of the place, and about  the raid by the CMB'S BY Capt Agar. Even had a friendly discussion about it with an ex soviet Sub, Capt. Who pointed out the various landmarks .

Jim

Edited by Vegaskip

...the raid by the CMB'S BY Capt Agar

You got me reading up on that.

Commodore Augustus Willington Shelton Agar VC, DSO, RN and Sir Paul Henry Dukes KBE sure lived life to the full. I don't know if they make them like that anymore.

Richard

On 12/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, Vegaskip said:

East Coast Convoy assembling off Southend Pier

Looks like a good poster for Ducks Unlimited. (A local local wildlife preservation organization.)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

"What did you do in the war daddy?"

"Oh I just went around and handed out balloons on a string."

Not necessarily the most glamorous job of the war. You see them in all so many pictures but never give a thought on how they got there in the first place. I always just thought that they were inflated on deck and just floated up like flying a kite. Who said paintings can't be educational as well. I learned something new in addition to getting to admire another masterful painting.

Thanks Jim 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Balloon Man 2
Convoy assembly area off Southend. Balloons being delivered to ships
W/C 16,5” X 10.75”

The Royal Air Force had several Balloon Squadrons equipped with truck mounted winches ( some  used for launching Gliders in the many Gliding Clubs which were formed post war) They were fitted out with all the equipment for maintainence and gas storage.

Schooner iced up.

A stunning painting yet scary at the same time. Another one of my favourites 🙂

Richard

Edit: I see the icebergs have arrived...now it's even colder!

Edited by Rik Thistle

Really captures the icing conditions. Looks like one of the Alaskan crabbing boats from "Deadliest Catch". They fish in November thru February, I think, and icing up is a big threat. All their traps are carried on deck and they can become too top heavy with accumulated ice..

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild