Ship paintings

Vegaskip

I am absolutely blown away by your artistry. I have spent a large portion of my morning going through these pictures and will need to do it several times more. The detail and color you get from these water colors is magnificent! I am in awe.

Thank you for sharing your talent.

The Old Curmudgeon.

Current Build(s):

Cutty Sark by Photo Bud - Revell - 1:220

Endeavour by Photo Bud - Amati - 1:80

I especially liked your pictures of the Flower class corvettes as one of my favorite WWII naval books is "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat. The (badly worn) cover of my copy from 1951 had the cover designed by John O'Hara Cosgrave II. I have to say, I prefer yours!

OM4n4I9.jpg

The Old Curmudgeon.

Current Build(s):

Cutty Sark by Photo Bud - Revell - 1:220

Endeavour by Photo Bud - Amati - 1:80

HMCS Comox (J64) (Fundy-class).  Commissioned on 23 Nov 1938, HMCS Comox was stationed at Esquimalt at the outbreak of the war, and carried out local patrol duties until Mar 1940, when, with HMCS Nootka, she was ordered to the east coast.  Arriving at Halifax in Apr 1940, she spent the entire war on local minesweeping duties with Halifax Local Defence Force.  On 15 Jan 1945, with HMCS Fundy, she rescued survivors from the US liberty ship Martin van Buren, torpedoed off Halifax.  She was paid off 27 Jul 1945.  Sold for commercial use in 1946 she was converted to a tug and re-named the Sung Ming.

A929CA58-B265-49DB-8705-35A142D49FE3.jpeg

Along this line of thought, I came across my pencil sketch of the Monitor and Merrimac battle in Hampton Rhodes in the civil war.  It was taken from a term paper that I wrote back in High School.  (Just a few years ago) :huh::D

100_6395 (2).JPG

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Jim, your pictures are up to your usual excellent superb standard.

Dave, I do like the fact that most of the scene in your picture is obscured by smoke. I'm sure that's how it would have been.

Just a dumb question from a person who has no painting artistic talent at all Jim

How do you get the detail and perspective for your ships? I know you do Corvettes a lot, do you have a Corvette model sitting in your studio that you can "pose" or do you work from photos or just do everything from a mental image? I suppose the same question would apply to all of the other ships you portray often in great detail and accuracy.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, 

it's not that hard even you can create a simple model, doesn't have to be a ship or such..... take a shoe box or something similar.

Place it in an angle you prefer and start using paper and pencil.
All it takes is practice, practice and more practice..... our eyes sees in 3d, translate that to a perspective view on the paper. 
As for me, I would never be able to create these amazing paintings.... the details along with life in the paintings that comes alive.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Lou, thanks for commenting. No I don’t have a Corvette model in the house.( in fact I have 4 RC 1/16th scale Tanks Tiger,Sherman,T90, and T34. RC boats need water. I can run my Tanks in the garden!) I could paint most well known WW2 RN ships from memory, but I do use photos. I like painting 'small' ships, they can get up to all sorts of things. I really don’t like painting 'a ship'. I much prefer painting a story with ships in it. I can’t really explain how I paint, I just do it. I’m 80 next year so I’ve been 'at it' since I was about 5!. The first pic I can remember was a Tractor with hills behind it on a blackboard when I started school. Don’t suppose this helps but at least it’s a bit of background.

jim

ps White Tail Sea Eagle 

1523AA1F-FAE6-4C5F-976D-48D0E9D217E5.jpeg

1F25B98A-216E-4F6F-B09D-AB9F835838B1.jpeg

Edited by Vegaskip
Spelling