Charles Martel by Haze Gray - 1/72 scale - RADIO - 3D printed - French Battleship

Hello Max,  when you are ready please share your you version of the Charles Martel - I will be happy to see how you design it and hopefully it will be more accurate than what I have ! - I really wish there more information available on this ship.  

Here's another French Ship relaxing on the table waiting for more parts.....

PENF0466.thumb.JPG.e225322c574863766f48c588a9faefba.JPG

My Current Builds:

The USS Maine - 1/72 3D printed Armored Cruiser (1889) USS OlympiaUSS TexasUSS New York, HSwMS TapperhetenCerbere 

Ships I am currently designing or have completed in Fusion 360:

German: SMS ScharnhorstSMS Kaiser Sweden: Svea, Gota, & Thule (both early and later versions), Flygia

France: French battleship Charles MartelDupuy de Lôme, Faucon (aviso), United States: USS Katahdin (1894) Ram ship, USS Monteray USS Oregon Japan: Mikasa, Fuso Russia: Izumrud, Novgorod Spain: Pelayo Great Britian: Turbinia (1894) - First ship with Steam TurbineHMS Edinburgh (1882) DenmarkTordenskjold

Ships I intend on designing & building in the future:

French JauréguiberryMassena Bouvet United StatesUSS Virginia USS Brooklyn, USS Minneapolis USS Ericsson
Russian:  Rossiya Peresvet Bayan SlavaTsesarevich 
BrazilRiachuelo SpainEmparador Carlos V

Putting a render here won't be off topic since it is part of the Charles Martel.  Also, it fits in with "methods" for building the model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Steven,  some of those pictures I had but some were new to me - many thanks for the link (every photo helps!!). 

My Current Builds:

The USS Maine - 1/72 3D printed Armored Cruiser (1889) USS OlympiaUSS TexasUSS New York, HSwMS TapperhetenCerbere 

German: SMS ScharnhorstSMS Kaiser Sweden: Svea, Gota, & Thule (both early and later versions), Flygia

France: French battleship Charles MartelDupuy de Lôme, Faucon (aviso), United States: USS Katahdin (1894) Ram ship, USS Monteray USS Oregon Japan: Mikasa, Fuso Russia: Izumrud, Novgorod Spain: Pelayo Great Britian: Turbinia (1894) - First ship with Steam TurbineHMS Edinburgh (1882) DenmarkTordenskjold

French JauréguiberryMassena Bouvet United StatesUSS Virginia USS Brooklyn, USS Minneapolis USS Ericsson

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What a lovely ship you've created Haze Gray! I've just joined the forum due to your beautiful work here. If you consider offering this or a 1/96 static model of the Charles Martel for sale I would be proud to own one! You aren't alone in adoring a tumblehome hull!

Jim

image.jpeg.2f4728cbc6e72ad79c6b1d8818d13400.jpeg

Edited by JREEVES
photo

On 5/20/2022 at 9:45 AM, JREEVES said:

What a lovely ship you've created Haze Gray! I've just joined the forum due to your beautiful work here. If you consider offering this or a 1/96 static model of the Charles Martel for sale I would be proud to own one! You aren't alone in adoring a tumblehome hull!

Jim

Thanks JReeves - good to hear from another tumble home adorer!   A 1/96th static model would be 2 inches shy of 4 feet long and ~ 8 inches wide.  This is something I could probably print but I need to make some adjustments to the model.  I'm going to be moving to a new place so 2-3 months before I even get things setup to make an attempt at that scale. 

I do have her sister ships in mind to do as well (Messena, Brennus, Bouvet, Jaureberry, and Carnot (yes...Carnot!.... this one will be huge challenge!).  

My Current Builds:

• 1 month later...

Thought I would provide an update on the Charles Martel - been busy studying lots of photos since there's a lack of complete drawings (especially for structures above the deck).  Happy to report that I am starting to understand a lot more about the ship and making changes that the cad model reflects. 

image.thumb.png.7ea0496ec470ad74e06c7b1ac65b7f59.png

Still much to do but here's a look at the actual model progress thus far:

2030992195_CharlesMartel0.thumb.jpg.a9cdb8a1b781fa48de030709a87ad7da.jpg1921006468_CharlesMartel1.thumb.jpg.347af14a8de682fa4b8a79c56c315d12.jpg

527607189_CharlesMartel4.thumb.jpeg.e32888af3111870b29dc6ef236dbc1c4.jpeg

Charles Martel

My Current Builds:

Amazing progress. She is really starting to show some of her over all design concept and how much of the old and the new were incorporated in the same ship.

Hard to believe you are able to create all this from photos!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've been keeping the printers busy......... but I think I have about 100+ more parts to design and print (at least)...

image3.thumb.jpeg.c2fd086c04374f0f27cf51346b5098f6.jpegimage2.thumb.jpeg.3cf9629965a9afe8b75250fd36cbcd28.jpegUntitled.thumb.png.4059c10854c8645728d647f6c9a6570e.pngimage1.thumb.jpeg.890e7fdb5672cfa1e60f4068fa9b5cdc.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.c2fd086c04374f0f27cf51346b5098f6.jpegimage4.thumb.jpeg.a1df5980bc7c84b7d49d109648646b2d.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

My Current Builds:

That is why your ships are so fantastic. When others would reach this point they would say that the 3D part was over and start the scratch building part. You just lean back and casually say "Only another 100 parts or so to go!":stunned:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Lou - I think the term masochist applies in my instance 😃 

My Current Builds:

Hadn't thought of it that way! Could be true, but either way you need to keep it up, you are creating some truly unique masterpieces.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, Haze Gray said:

Thanks Lou - I think the term masochist applies in my instance 😃 

If that's the case, then everyone here is a masochist.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

Masochist, well that's probably true ...😈

It would take me years to get that far building it the traditional way ... I would probably give up, getting lost in the complexity of the project.

Hi Wefalck -  I will say that it's a lot easier to make mistakes in CAD but also much faster to correct them in CAD - sometimes I don't notice a problem until I actually print out the parts and realize they don't fit/look like they should...   While I've never had to re-print a hull (thank God) everything from the deck up has a strong chance that I'll need to re-print after correcting/modifying them.   I think that with a complete set of plans and traditional construction techniques could be just as fast or faster than what I'm doing.  While I've created 973 Bodies in fusion many have been combined so by my count, I've only actually printed out 112 thus far. 

Here's what the Charles Martel looks like at this stage....

IMG_1773.thumb.jpg.4c16a49c170140231be4d595c19acb69.jpg

My Current Builds:

So, I really like how unique the French armaments are - here's the Canon de 65 mm Modèle 1891 - love it!   I can't design it exactly per its real configuration since even with resin printing some accommodations need to be made but happy with the result. The Charles Martel had four of these on board. 

image.thumb.png.516d0fb7567dbfd44fe8c8ff11151d18.png

My Current Builds:

6 hours ago, wefalck said:

It would take me years to get that far building it the traditional way

I know as one of the proud owners of one of Haze's fantastic ships that it does take him years to build them. It just takes that long mostly on the computer before it is possible to make plastic dust!

They not only have incredible accuracy to the prototype but he has gone to considerable engineering effort in designing the attachment points and mounting areas that are needed to make the model. 

HG

The more you get done on this the more I like the ascetics of the ship. The real ship may have had its issues, but it still has a certain flow to it that is pleasing to look at. Kind of like a ship of the line. Slow and cumbersome in real life, but still possessing a grace and majesty and presence beyond the pure functional.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

HG, are you working on your knees on the floor? if so you're much younger than the most of us. Truly a lovey model. 

Edited by Keith Black

43 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

HG, are you working on your knees on the floor? if so you're much younger than the most of us. Truly a lovey model. 

Yes, my knees are being "utilized" but at the moment I'm just placing parts one by one - so they only take abuse for 15-30 seconds.... My knees are in fairly good 'nick' but I still take it easy. 

My Current Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I have always found these French ships to be a bit of a designer dogs breakfast. While not a fan of the aesthetics I do find them really fascinating. Hence I am enjoying your excellent build.

I see the big advantage of the printer approach -------- you are allowed to make it on the lounge carpet. My dusty wood approach would never make it to the lounge during construction.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Speaking of floor games, I used to play Avalon Hill's game of the battle of Jutland in a large living room.  One maneuvered cardboard pieces of the British and German fleets with a ruler (and a radius piece for turning ships) - rolled dice for hits and damage according to results tables.  A game would take hours.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, just an update - all I've printed all the major components I'm starting down the path of putting together the assemblies and getting things ready for painting.   Here I'm gluing the 3 parts of the spar deck together - the kitchen is a great place to do so since the granite countertop is quite flat and there's a wide variety of heavy objects that I can use to hold things in place :) .... while the epoxy is curing I can also make a sandwich so kitchens are a real win-win scenario in my opinion!

image.thumb.jpeg.a787dcddcace742d37d1642cb6f1ff33.jpeg

and finally the completed part: 

image.thumb.jpeg.a6ad5d1bee835cc08610836dfe4cd39e.jpeg

My Current Builds:

• 3 months later...

I loved the look of this ship too, I started my own Charles Martel about a year ago. I'm at about the same place you are in this post, so no doubt behind you by now. This ship sure is a fun challenge (mostly do to lack of good pictures!). Mine isn't RC or anything and only 1/200 scale so considerably smaller than yours. I'm using Blender and An Elegoo Saturn. Fantastic job so far eager to see the finished model.

Joe-

I think the gherkin clamps are particularly inspired. 😀

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Just an update - painted the hull back in October.   lots of parts not shown.... they are all stuffed inside the hull while I wait for warmer weather to paint more. IMG_2197.thumb.jpg.6bb7ccf09a4180c1678fcd386699144d.jpgIMG_2385.thumb.jpg.29f0c5cc6b9f5077d93ae292d19ca311.jpg

My Current Builds:

• 4 months later...

I absolutely love this project, and joined just to comment on this. Though of course now I've got a place to start posting my (very basic, wargamer perspective) builds.

I actually want to attempt printing this myself, specifically at the current massive scale.

My wife and I just had our first child a couple weeks ago. I would love to build this as he grows up, and when he's old enough, it would be something we could enjoy together!

If you are considering offering/selling STLs, please let me know!

On 4/27/2023 at 6:15 AM, GreaverBlade said:

I absolutely love this project, and joined just to comment on this. Though of course now I've got a place to start posting my (very basic, wargamer perspective) builds.

I actually want to attempt printing this myself, specifically at the current massive scale.

My wife and I just had our first child a couple weeks ago. I would love to build this as he grows up, and when he's old enough, it would be something we could enjoy together!

If you are considering offering/selling STLs, please let me know!

Hello GreaverBlade - I do get inquiries from time to time about the 3D/STL files but at this time I don't have plans to make them available (maybe some time after I finish the ship!)  I will say that the major sections of the hull are fairly large, the stearn section is 375mm in height and maybe 290mm at it's widest....so typical printers like Ender 2/3 are not going to work.  

However, for those of you that are interested in building some of the ships I design I usually print a 1st draft to prove out everything fits, etc.  I do sometimes make those drafts available to interested modelers provided they cover whatever the cost of the filament & shipping of the components would be. 

I have this ship that I've been tinkering with but it's been slightly challenging. 
image.thumb.png.fef4370abbcf0b4ceffa79c2855897b0.png

My Current Builds: