HMS Triton by Jasseji - 1:64 - POB - CANCELLED

Hello,

I am planning to build the Triton in 1:64 with the POB Plans, i am at the moment redrawing some of the plans in AutoCAD to prepare them for laser-cutting (yes, i am lazy :P).

Just have a few questions if someone maybe can answer them:

1. Quarterdeck and FC Beam Camber - is it the same as for the Gundeck or does anyone have a plan which is showing this ?

2. Hanging knees for QD and FC - i am planning to make the same as for the Gundeck - any objections ?

3. Stern Timbers - to what are they attached (on top of the wing transom ?)

I assume a lot of more questions will come up later but at this stage i am trying to find out what i have to cut from what wood in order to start ;)

Oh, Materials ordered and Building Slip prepared (some lime for the first planking and other wood just to start):

20180723_111210.thumb.jpg.f4072c63edaf5937ad6834a204e3dfb0.jpg

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

26 minutes ago, knightyo said:

Hi Jacek,

I am also hopeful for responses to your questions, as I have the same questions! I'll be plodding along behind you as life allows me free time to build...

Alan

i decided to plan for now same camber on QD and FC - i'm getting those beams laser-cut but if at any stage i decide otherwise, i'll just make new ones the traditional way, there\s a looong way before i am even close to fitting the top decks

Same for the Hanging knees.

As for the Stern Timbers i am fairly certian that i guessed it right ;) (at least if i'm judging correctly from SternParts.pdf)

As for my progress, i sent the redrawn bulkhead plans for laser cutting and as soon as 6mm plywood will be restocked, they will be cut for me ;)

i like your Basswood fillers btw ;) Might go similar on some parts

I'm making my life miserable - i actually plan to populate the lower deck :P

Jacek

7 minutes ago, BubbleHead said:

Yes to Q. 1,3 and no to Q. 2

no means no objections ? ;)

PS: i received confirmation that the Bulkheads are already cut, shipping out on Monday ;)

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

that was the questions intent :D

11 minutes ago, knightyo said:

It's going to be a lot of fun to see the bulkheads assembled!  Hopefully I'll be back home in a month or so, and can make some progress as well..

I'm hoping the "fun" will be fun and no irony :D

Jacek

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Subscribed to this 🍿

Nooo, not you :P

Anyway, couldnt resist, frames are removed from the sheets and pre-positioned, the shorter ones are not damaged of course - that's where some of the Gunports go.

Only one frame was damaged but managed to repair

20180801_214159.thumb.jpg.4b5b672336bf0f8ac7db4c34ef3f1f48.jpg

I also ordered AotS Pandora which is a very similar ship, only a bit shorter.

BTW @James H, i can send you guys the DXF files i created for these from the plans - might save someone the trouble if they want to laser-cut and dont know CAD (to include them in the downloads section)

Jacek

11 minutes ago, knightyo said:

Hi Jacek, 

I can't wait to see how your lower deck fits between the frames, especially in the bow section.  I had "challenges" in that area..

Alan

yes, it doesnt fit :P

but i plan to do inner planking which will cover that

Jacek

33 minutes ago, knightyo said:

Hi Jacek, 

I can't wait to see how your lower deck fits between the frames, especially in the bow section.  I had "challenges" in that area..

Alan

actually now i am more concerned how to fit the stern timbers ;)

Jacek

The stern timbers were kinda fun.  On mine, I inserted "filler" limewood pieces between each timber, which made it pretty easy to achieve a smooth surface for future planking.  The photos in my journal look horrifying, but the surface is actually very smooth. 

Aaln

so, 1st strake of the main wale is in as a test, i am bending the planks with the wirecutters technique, although i found that the plywood i have for the frames is so brittle, i cant really fair them correctly so i'm left with gaps at the bow between the plank and frame 😕

20180802_201816.thumb.jpg.efd36a149538d282ddb68bea479eae23.jpg

Also it slighly affects the shape of the bow.

20180802_201842.thumb.jpg.2338e7e95a6b5753d5a98dba9482cb3d.jpg

I am waiting now for new wood to be delivered, will have to think about it if i can live with this or try to fix this somehow :(

Jacek

34 minutes ago, James H said:

Can you not fit some props between the deck and the thin frames, until the planking is complete?

These can then just be removed.

20180802_201842.jpg.299c4982edd3580ccc53e90c304f9b97.jpg

Those you marked are actually not a problem, it's the 3 bow frames which would require sanding/filing down to an angle but i tested on scrap Wood and each Time i try to file it, the plywood layers come apart even with a fine nail-file - i dont think it Will matter on the finished ship, it's Just a bad technique

Jacek

Main Wale, 3 strakes out of 4 done, ran out of glue

20180803_141017.thumb.jpg.c82186fa7c045277caa13c89953e96df.jpg

20180803_141029.thumb.jpg.f6700512bcee666ded7baffd10b15ecb.jpg

1.5x5mm Lime - I think it doesnt look that bad, will be Sanded to shape and covered with Walnut Veneer (or maybe Mahagoni even)

Waiting for thinner Lime for rest of hull and internal planking (although i'm tempted to do all internals with Tanganika which is 25% cheaper...)

Jacek

Hi Jacek,

By looking at the templates (Stern Part Legend, SternParts & Upper Counter Planking), you should be able to mark out the stern areas pretty well.  The below pic also shows the numbers of planks in each area on a similar sized ship.. (similar, but definitely not exact).. Not sure if the number of planks in each area of the Triton would be the same, but I think it would be pretty close..  I don't have the Anatomy of a Ship Series covering frigates, unfortunately.  I'll bet that would show the exact planking structure....(Hint for anyone who has that book to please look :) )

Alan

HMS-Surprise.jpeg

(Photo reference is from http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/yimcatholic/files/2011/10/HMS-Surprise.jpeg)

Edited by knightyo
Giving credit for photo reference

well, i figured something out which in my oppinion looks decent enough and fits with the main wale quite ok - i am now fitting the 4th strake of the main wale and will post a pic later when i finished (starboard done, port last strake left to do)

Jacek

Hi Jacek

I'm not sure if its the pictures but the counter should also have a camber to match the decks, yours looks like it curves the wrong way and should be higher in the middle, similar to the picture of the surprise Alan has posted

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

yes, on this pic it looks like it's curving the wrong way but it's actually straight - i am adding camber via an additional plank cut in a curve - the lime wood i have doesnt want to bend on such short planks - but veneer layer later on should fix this visually

Jacek

I found the best way to bend small planks is to leave them a lot longer ie twice as long, bend carefully with heat and then use the piece in the middle where you have the correct curve that you need

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁