Micro drills?

I am planning on getting a pin vice/drill but was wondering which would be best if I only got one or two.

A spiral drill.

post-1993-0-71414500-1366837256.jpg

A chuck for my dremel.

post-1993-0-80300100-1366837268.jpg

A mandrel for my dremel.

post-1993-0-72277300-1366837279.jpg

Or a pin vice.

post-1993-0-44253500-1366837292.jpg

Lextin AKA qwerty2008

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

I can see the usefulness of each of these however if I had to pick one hands down it would be the pin vise!

I assume you are just looking for a drill for general every day model building and not a specific task?

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

I assume you are just looking for a drill for general every day model building and not a specific task?

Yes. but I will be using modified needles as drillbits until I get money to buy drillbits. One more question would the Dremel mandrel work as a pinvice?

Edited by qwerty2008

I stopped by harbor freight today and bought some tiny drillbits 30 for 3 dollars the smallest ones are 0.5 mm. Thank you for the advice I will try to get a pinvice as soon as possible. I will check out model expo if I need more drillbits down the road, too late now that I already bought some.

My only comment is that I have a problem with 4-head pin vises because the tiny bits tend to slip out of the vertical more than in those with three heads. But maybe that's a problem only for me!

Tony

I rigged up a pinvice from a peace of dowel and a sewing thimble it worked very well but being home made it was far from perfect, I will definitely need too buy a real one. I thought that it would be hard to spin by hand but it was really easy and drilled a hole trough the wood very quickly.

Hi

I use pin vice/drill and 4 head pin vice.

I think that if you use the good twisted drills, you can do a lot with these

I use the ones that are in the pictures and are all OK

Hope you chose the correct ones for you

post-425-0-40052700-1366891745_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-30459500-1366891765_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-07209600-1366891782_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-88955900-1366891811_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-32680800-1366891839_thumb.jpg

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

very clever. i have a set but the cover is hard to open so they are all mixed up :( now i need to check each time to find the one i need

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I have both a pin vise and the spiral drill, as well as the mandrel for a Dremel.  The problem that Tony points out can be annoying when you're working with tiny bits, like a #80, so I use the pin vise for one size bit and the spiral for another (usually smaller).  And I've chosen bits that I use a lot, so that I don't have to change them.  -- I also found, though, that it's important to have a good secure storage place for them, because when they fall with the bit in them, you break the bit.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

If you need any drill bits, try THIS link.

Thanks for the link, I tried, but it expensively and easily breaks.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

I realized that I already had a pinvise well sort of my 30 year old (was my dads) Xacto knife has a 4 head chuck and works pretty good. I will still get a pinvice and twist drill but will wait until we get the money from selling our other house.

post-1993-0-41018000-1367366819_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-62810300-1367366823_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-62962100-1367366839_thumb.jpg

Edited by qwerty2008

You can't beat drill bit city for selection and price. They all dome on a 1/8" shank which works particularly well on rotary tools.

https://www.drillbitcity.com/Default.asp

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I use a pin vise similar to this one.  The only real difference is the handle is wood and not plastic.  I got it from a friend not sure where he got it.  

555-010.jpg

You can get this one here for $4.49

http://www.cmlsupply.com/pin-vise-hand-drill-bit-chuck-ball-head.html

What I like about these is you hold the ball in your palm and turn the vise.  It's more comfortable and help keep me more accurate.  You don't need the drill to spin fast if your just going through wood.  The bits are small and sharp and will sink into the wood pretty quickly just turning by hand.  

Edited by DSiemens

• 2 months later...

That drill is cool.  Let us know how it works out.

The spiral drill is a piece of junk but still usable it had burrs (I removed them at the destroying an Xacto blade in the process) in the chuck preventing the drillbits from going in straight also its bent where the chuck is attached to the handle. The pinvice on the other hand is excellent and works great holds the drillbits nice and straight the head swivels effortlessly. As I was writing this post the swivel head on the spiral drill popped off :( . I might buy another pinvice from that company but I will never buy another spiral drill from that company again.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

Lextin,

I agree with you about the spiral drill, I got one try it once and it is in a junk box. I also have to agree with Greg about drill city. I have bought a few sets from them and will buy more when needed.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I have a pin vice and picked up one of the spiral drills form Amazon. I've had the pin vice 40 plus years and it works great. Squeaks when you turn it though..:)

The spiral drill works pretty well when I drill plastic, but would not want start a precision critical location hole with it. The chuck is not that accurate. Still it works fast if you need to drill a lot of holes.

Also have used with a T pin filed flat on opposite sides, stuck in a slot cut in the end.a dowel rod.  That actually did pretty well, best part of that arrangement is it is tapered so you can go very tiny on the hole size.

I find a pin vice to be a must have.

When drilling on the bench most options work fine, I use a dremel mostly.

But for there are occasions when you need to drill a hole directly on the model.

When that model has furniture and rigging to aviod you really dont want a clumsy dremel plus wizzing collets.

So threading your hand in carefully and slowly using a pin vice seems to get the job done in the safest manner.

Nick

Carbide drills of thei size are not ideal in hand held drills - simply they break to easy, they are meant for machine use at high speed in applications like drilling PCB's - I know this as I spent almost 2 years in that industry years back.

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

I have a cheap spiral pin vise, and after a 20 holes, the part that you will have to push down to drill just got wider and now is just doesn't work. So if you are buying cheaper pin vise don't choose spiral, they made from a cheaper material off course. Just my two cents..

Greetings, Sinan :pirate41:

Build log:TRITON POB 1:72

logo_phpBB.gif

Lextin,

A good source for cheap drills and other funky-but-useful tools in the US that will not fry your Dad's credit card is Widget Supply. For awhile, I was going through #80's at an alarming rate, found Widget by accident, and now am a regular customer. But I like your innovative spirit, Young Blood!! A lot of fine models have been built by those willing to create their own tools from unlikely materials, so keep thinking as you're thinking. Don't be in any great hurry to be a slave to credit cards, either, like many of us old fools who've sold our souls to plastic!! Plenty of time to worry about THAT problem in your life.

Oh, Man! Henceforth, call me "The Preacher"........

john