Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - FINISHED - scale 1:75 - Russian Cruiser

Valeriy, this is so unbelievably well done that I'm left almost speechless. 

Edited by Keith Black

At some point words are just not enough. You reached that point long ago Valeriy! Truly a masterpiece.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

your very close to Mariupol...has your city sustained any damage?   so sad what's going on :(

your ship is amazing!  you've done so much since I last looked in! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Without wishing to get involved with politics, I hope my next question won't be misinterpretated.

As this is a Russian ship and knowing how enthusiastic the modelling fraternity is in Eastern Urope and western Asia, what 'local' feedback your model has has generated, Valeriy?

Like many others here, I wish you and yours well.

7 hours ago, shipman said:

As this is a Russian ship and knowing how enthusiastic the modelling fraternity is in Eastern Urope and western Asia, what 'local' feedback your model has has generated, Valeriy?

During the Russo-Japanese War, there was still no modern division along the national lines of the former Soviet republics.

But it is better to talk about politics in other forums. We're here to build ship models. ;) 

1 hour ago, Valeriy V said:

But it is better to talk about politics in other forums. We're here to build ship models. ;) 

Agree 120%. I was followed an other, russian modeling forum. I thought that the modelers are smarter than politicians. Well, on that forum the vehicles section flooded with Z trucks, and the comments are cheers the occupants, 'our heroes' and so forth.
To be honest, i found it disgusting, and i'm not a member anymore. Also, i have to tell you that in the shipmodels section no any politics occur.

Valeriy, my question was intended to find out if your work was appreciated in your part of the world.

NOT stir the hornets nest of politics.

My first line ... ('Without wishing to get involved with politics, I hope my next question won't be misinterpretated.') ... was an honest statement.

Please accept my apologies, my motives clearly not understood.

I continue to be among the folk here who admire your excellent interpretive modelling skills and do grasp how unpleasant and difficult your circumstances must be. Your modesty is a lesson for people of all walks of life.

May you have a long and happy life.

1 hour ago, shipman said:

Please accept my apologies, my motives clearly not understood.

Shipman!  I misunderstood you, so I must apologize but not you. :) 

Valeriy, my question was intended to find out if your work was appreciated in your part of the world

The model is not finished yet and only my close friends modelers can see it.

May you have a long and happy life.

Please accept my sincere thanks. :) 

2 hours ago, Veszett Roka said:

I thought that the modelers are smarter than politicians. 

It depends on the person.
For example, for me, building a model is an opportunity to escape from the ongoing horror. And for some, this is an opportunity to find another reason for conflict.

13 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

Yes, I can do the simplest electroplating on my own at home.

Back to the searchlights. Aren't they painted on the real ship? I think everything on board exposed to salt sprays must be protected from corrosion any way. Well, nickel plating is good for it, but the searchlights i saw on other ships (actual museum ships) were all painted.

I've found this color photo, most probably a colorized one, so more fantasy than reality. This shows the searchlights on lower position as black (or gray?) and on mast mounded ones as ochre (possibly brass?)
52niw1r8uav01.jpg

Edited by Veszett Roka
addition

50 minutes ago, Veszett Roka said:

Back to the searchlights. Aren't they painted on the real ship? I think everything on board exposed to salt sprays must be protected from corrosion any way. Well, nickel plating is good for it, but the searchlights i saw on other ships (actual museum ships) were all painte

I wrote about it on the first page of the topic. :) 

Your reasoning is completely correct for the NAVIGA rules.

But I work in a completely different model concept. We usually call it "museum style", but you can call the style "shipyard building model".

For an example of this style, I show a photo of the armored cruiser Asama, which was the main enemy of the Varyag in his last battle.

Asa1.jpg

Asa2.jpg

Asa3.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V

Valeriy, I have just been catching up, so apologies for all the likes. Wow you have been accomplishing an amazing amount of superb work, with difficult news all around. Your attention to the small details are what make your work so compelling to study.  I am sure that for some of the small repetitive details it is like a meditation, that carries you away.

An exquisite body of work so far on this model, you raise the bar high for all of us.

Stay safe

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

12 hours ago, shipman said:

Varyag certainly got around. Imperial Russian Navy, Imperial Japanese Navy then Royal Navy who managed to 'lose' her off the coast of Scotland. Wasn't she finally scrapped in Germany?

You have a small mistake. The life cycle of the Varyag is as follows:

Imperial Russian Navy - Imperial Japanese Navy - Imperial Russian Navy.

In 1920, the cruiser was sold to a German company for cutting into metal and, while being towed from the Clyde, sank near the city of Girvan. The remains of the cruiser lie there at the bottom and now.

12 hours ago, shipman said:

Like the look of Asama, I assume that's the builders model; Valeiry would you let us know where you found it, please.

Don't tell me that's another of your own models 😄

No, I have not built Asama's model yet, but if someone wants to order such a model, I can build it. :) 

This model, made by Armstrong's modellers, is kept in the Maritime Museum of Istanbul.

Thank you, Valeriy.

The Wiki page incudes this.... 'On 8 December 1917 she was seized by a detachment of British soldiers. Assigned to the Royal Navy in February 1918, she ran aground while under tow off of Ireland, but was refloated and used as a hulk until 1919'.

Then scrapped.

In the countries of the former Soviet Union, the Varyag cruiser is, for obvious reasons, very popular. His fate has been studied by historical researchers very thoroughly. Several very detailed books have been written. Briefly from these sources:

- April-December 1917 the ship's crew was disbanded, the flag was lowered, the cruiser was taken under British guard
- 1918-1920 sludge ship at a dead anchor on the river Clyde
- 1920 sale of the ship for the debts of the tsarist government, towing and grounding in the Firth of Clyde
- 1924-26 ship dismantling at the accident site

There is no information about the inclusion of the cruiser in the Royal Navy. And if this happened, it would be impossible to sell it for other people's debts.