Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - FINISHED - scale 1:75 - Russian Cruiser

In 2003, a diving expedition was carried out at the place where the cruiser ran aground. The remains of the hull were found at a depth of 8-10 meters. In 2006, a monument to this ship was unveiled on the shore.

http://www.clydesideimages.co.uk/varyag-shipwreck-memorial.html

8 hours ago, shipman said:

Thank you, Valeriy.

The Wiki page incudes this.... 'On 8 December 1917 she was seized by a detachment of British soldiers. Assigned to the Royal Navy in February 1918, she ran aground while under tow off of Ireland, but was refloated and used as a hulk until 1919'.

Then scrapped.

One does need to be careful with Wiki and use other references to verify.  Wiki can be changed by just about anyone and too often misinformation gets posted.  I've been burned more than once taking Wiki at face value.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark! In the Wikipedia entry for the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 there is an incorrect date for the first time a surface-to-surface ARM missile was successfully used in combat. The date is wrong by about a year! I was the officer in charge during that shot and remember it well. I have documented the date, and I have corrected the error several times, but someone keeps changing it back to the wrong date!

Quite a bit on Wikipedia is just speculation and not researched well.

• 1 month later...

Valeriy,

Good to hear from you again!

Very nice work! Your model is beautiful. I only wish I could see it in person.

Glad to hear from you again!

Varyag is looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you all for your feedback and concern for me. Everything is fine with me, sometimes cruise missiles fly over the city, but they are not a hindrance to my work.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Dr PR said:

I only wish I could see it in person.

Phil, no problem. If you come to Europe on business, you can also visit me and see the model. :) 

440.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It is good to hear you are well Valeriy.

Your work is simply exquisite.  Looking at images like the one above, I have to remind myself of the small scale that I'm looking at.  Every detail is just so perfectly executed, clean and precise.  Inspirational.

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Valeriy - beautiful detail.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

How fortunate we are to be able to be watch Valeriy's masterpiece come to life.  

Again magnificent work. Valeriy must have the most detailed plans for Variag. That coupled with incredible craftsmanship results in his museum quality plus work. Our hobby is proud of people like you. 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

so glad to see you are well and safe my friend! :)   such stunning progress you've made on your model,  under such circumstances......   your model is truly amazing!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Valeriy is obviously a very experienced model maker. In addition to the clean crisp lines I am impressed that he really understands the order that the assembly needs to go together. And he doesn't forget to clean off the dust before he takes his photos!

4 hours ago, Ras Ambrioso said:

Again magnificent work. Valeriy must have the most detailed plans for Variag. That coupled with incredible craftsmanship results in his museum quality plus work. Our hobby is proud of people like you. 

Thanks Ras! There are actually not very many blueprints for the cruiser. But photographs help a lot and many details have to be done precisely from them.

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

so glad to see you are well and safe my friend! :)   such stunning progress you've made on your model,  under such circumstances......   your model is truly amazing!

Thanks Popeye! The situation so far allows you to work, but things can change quickly. ;) 

1 hour ago, Dr PR said:

Valeriy is obviously a very experienced model maker. In addition to the clean crisp lines I am impressed that he really understands the order that the assembly needs to go together. And he doesn't forget to clean off the dust before he takes his photos!

Yes Phil, you are absolutely right, you have to fight with dust all the time.  :(  :) 

Valeriy, this is beautiful.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...