L' Hermione by MESSIS - Artesania Latina - 1/89 - 2nd build

Rebuilding the same model again it may sound -at least- boring or surely not exciting. But for me this time its  not the case

The first time I started Hermione was in 2017. I finished her in late 2018. It took me about 18 months and 600 hrs.  So why do it again?

In all this time,  studying  before, during and after building the model and ofcourse my  visit to the replica Hermione in Rochefort in 2017, gave to me a whole different perspective of the project.

Although A/L made and offers a good kit, still the kit of A/L represents the replica of L' Hermione and not the original ship.  Ofcourse, though already  during the first  building of the model, I tried to take distances from the replica and build the original ship.... my historical  knowledges did not  allowed me to do so.

Now I am more confident. Now I am aware, with more accuracy, of the distance, between the original ship and the replica. Its not only the coppering  or the flag, or some detail on the deck.... its more to it.

Among others, -for example- the modern health and safety regulations that the replica designer had to be in line with, have produced a lot of deviations,  by adding to the original design or by leaving behind, elements and materials that were originally part of the ship's design. 

So here I am to make an effort correcting my build. Hopefully I will succeed to that.... but I also have in mind to avoid all the bad craftmanship and build errors of my first build, hopping that the gained experience and my better skills of today will able me to build a decisive improved model.

Christos

IMG_8102-2.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

You are a braver man than I am. Still finding it hard to complete my own Hermoine and one of the reasons is that when I first purchased the AL kit I was expecting the pre-modern replica version, was surprised by what I recieved. Should have returned it but it was a gift and I was eager to start building just about anything. Did you try to find an old version of the kit?  

My dear old friend.... I am happy that you dropped by again....!

Dont look for the old version. Its not available any more and its not the quality of the new version ( new version its of very good quality). If some materials and items are not of best quality.... then replace them. This is what am doing now.

And just concentrated your self on what you already have and work on it. I believe the replica kit  can be successfully modified to the original ship. It needs some study though. I did some and am going to try this in my new Hermione project. 

So just go on and try... I did it, though unsuccessfully the first time. This time I am confident its going to be successful. Why dont you try it as well?

Christos

Well Cyprian, I’ll take a seat for this one. Building the same ship twice must be love for the ship!

this 2nd kit of AL comes with paint and Figueres?

good luck and you are on a quick start allready.

@Katsumoto no dutch friend I bought the figures separately, though they are produced specifically for this model. No paints included, but in the kit there is a table included with the ships authentic paints. A gentleman from A/L was kind to send me the valejo paints that correspond to this table.

Thank you for dropping by and keeping in touch

Christos. 

Edited by MESSIS

The modern version of Hermione is, I am quite sure built using the La Belle Poule drawings, as both are near identical, even in decoration.

I did this a few years ago, it was the Hemione but after much research, I used all of the J. Boudroit plans to develop the model.

Never released, as far as I know...

Hermione complete 1.jpg

Hermione complete 6.jpg

Hermione hull complete 4.jpg

Hermione prog 10.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Chris, looks like you have one of your next kits ready to go then !! 😀😀

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

45 minutes ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Chris, looks like you have one of your next kits ready to go then !! 😀😀

If only - was designed and developed for another company (72nd scale - I think, may have been 64th, cannot remember)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Mind you I would even consider building a French ship if it looked like that! @chris watton

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

@chris watton though to be exact, L'Hermione was disgned by Henri Chevillard. With the same drawings were  builted in Rochefort four frigates in total (12 lb. Frigates-class Concord).  The frigates La Concorde,Le Fee, La Couragese and ofcourse L'Hermione.

The replica of Hermione was builted using among other documents, mainly according to the drawings of La Concord. These drawings are preserved in Greenwich Museum since 1783, when the British Royal Navy captured La Concord and established new drawings of the ship..

Edited by MESSIS

9 hours ago, MESSIS said:

@chris watton though to be exact, L'Hermione was disgned by Henri Chevillard. With the same drawings were  builted in Rochefort four frigates in total (12 lb. Frigates-class Concord).  The frigates La Concorde,Le Fee, La Couragese and ofcourse L'Hermione.

The replica of Hermione was builted using among other documents, mainly according to the drawings of La Concord. These drawings are preserved in Greenwich Museum since 1783, when the British Royal Navy captured La Concord and established new drawings of the ship..

The one I was asked to develop was a model of the modern full size replica of Hermione, that is the one I am talking about. I was surprised to find that even the smallest detail in decoration was the same as seen in J. Boudroit plans - like the patterns on the quarterdeck rails, overlooking the waist.

logo.jpg

@chris watton

Yes you are right to be surprised,  its amazing to see even small details to be identical. But thats not the only case. J.M. Ballu in his book "Lafayette's ship of 1780" refers further to Hermione's "two very similar half sisters". That is Charmante and the Jiunon, also launched in 1777. Again as Concord class, 32-gun 12lb frigates.

So it seems it was a time when France was building intensively... or better "was mass producing" war ships!

La Belle Poule was launched at Basse Indre later in 1801. She belonged to the Virginie class. Was a frigate class, this time, of ten 40-gun 18lb. frigates designed in 1793 by Jacques-Noël Sané.

Edited by MESSIS

I'll be following this build with interest, Christos. I think that we'd all like to have a second go at models we've made, if only to correct the mistakes we made the first time - and to improve the accuracy in line with what we've learnt since building the first one.

This is a very attractive ship to be modelling, and I think it will be well worth while. It will be interesting to follow the new insights you've developed since your first build.

Steven

@Louie da flyThank you very much Steven for commenting on this new "correction" project of mine.I hope that there is realy  a difference waiting for me to be made, by this 2nd attempt . I also  hope you are not going to be disappointed and its going to worth following it.  

Edited by MESSIS

Planking the gunwale. Planks 2x5x300. Well soaked and then just bending on a cylinder similar to the radius of the ship's bow. So far 14 planks. But shipyard closes for next week and the finishing of the gunwale will be delayed for a week.

20190316_084829.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Here's a note from another Dutch friend. What a marvelous idea! It so happens I own the old AND new version of the kit. I still have some time to decide which one I will start first. It will take a while though before I start. Still working on the Polotsk. In the meantime I will enjoy your second build :)

Sail on. I say!

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

@Dutchman how wonderful to know we have the same love!

The new version Its really a great  kit. Has a good quality of materials and its not bad designed. The frame and the planking could still have been a little better designed (you can see that on the pictures above of @chris wattondesign - thats a design!)And ofcourse the luck of drawings its a minus. Now, I cant tell about the old version. But from pictures am looking to, its not bad either, though the AL people say that its not to be compared with the new one which "is definitely one of their best models ... by far"!

Wish you lots of fan with this wonderful kits. Enjoy our great hobby Dutchman... after all this is another way of sailing.... in the naval history! 

Christos

Ps. The original colours of the ship are those of the new kit.The old version was wrong in this.

Edited by MESSIS

@chris watton Chris I was  above  just mentioning to @Dutchman your build of La Belle Poule. I was talking about the quality in design, which your design undoubtedly not only  has, but even more that is of a higher standard. Saying that, I thought that its a pity that such a model was abandoned. Still,  Is there any kit  of yours, of similar design quality, out there in the market, which I could purchase? 

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

If you manage to astonish us as with your previous build, I will enjoy this one very much ... good to see you at the shipyard

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Gunwale almost done with 14 planks in total. Though today the shipyard, as I already mentioned, has closed for two weeks.... the shipyard master will be busy by the visit of his grandson -a three months old petit officer, not of the Cyprus Navy, he is a British subject.

Limassol its now spring over 18° C. and the colours of the sea are beautiful! (picture: Limassol Port, harbor tugboat is piloting Natural Gas Drill  platform)

20190319_075610.jpg

20190316_174301.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

27 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Gunwale almost done with 14 planks in total. Though today the shipyard, as I already mentioned, has closed for two weeks.... the shipyard master will be busy by the visit of his grandson -a three months old petit officer, not of the Cyprus Navy, he is a British subject.

Limassol its now spring over 18° C. and the colours of the sea are beautiful! (picture: Limassol Port, harbor tugboat is piloting Natural Gas Drill  platform)

20190319_075610.jpg

20190316_174301.jpg

Lovely site, just stunning! Have fun with the visit of your grandson! What a gift that must be...😉

• 2 weeks later...

You are suddenly in a hurry.  I hope next time I visit you won't be starting to rigg!

Carl

@cog 😂 In the last two weeks I was enjoying the visit of my son and grandson (they live in the UK) and now as they left, it seems good opportunity to change mode through shipbuilding. You see model shipbuilding is an outstanding and enjoyable psychotherapy. 😀

What are you saying!? You need a psychiatrist after your son with your grandson have been down at your place for two weeks?

Carl