Flat Bed Wagon by Dan Vadas - Modelik - 1:25 - CARD - FINISHED

superb job with the logs.........the added detail is awesome!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

We have an outdoor railway at my train club. They have one set of tracks, but run equipment in scales from 1/20.3 scale to 1/32 scale. The garden folks don't get too wrapped around an axle about fidelity to prototype. They're outside running trains and they're good with that. And they have lots of space to install big speaker systems in their engines, generating all appropriate steam or diesel sounds. Darn things sound like the real thing.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

danny, as usual, marvelous job.

I would like to point my nit-picking finger at something my steam junkie friends at our Slovakian forum been discussing for some time.

shape of buffers.

apparently, buffers have specific shapes. one has got shape of mushroom, and the other one too, just inverted. they fit into each other, a bit like a joint into its socket. this is done for purpose of wear and also to protect buffers from damage in curved parts of the track.

have a look here:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-gwr-1400-class-0-4-2t-no-1466-stands-outside-the-shed-at-didcot-railway-173369438.html

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=680&picture=steam-train-buffer

https://www.alamy.com/close-up-of-buffers-on-a-derelict-diesel-locomotive-train-at-the-cambrian-heritage-railway-museum-in-oswestry-shropshire-uk-image213540210.html

on modern gear this is sorted with differently shaped rectangular buffers.

I don't mean to cause any headache or sleepless night to you. at this scale you could as well just leave it as it is...

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Thank you Ken, my mind was on a different type of "Garden Railway" - the kind you can actually ride in :D .

Pav - I'm aware of the different types of Buffers and I'll sleep just fine, as these ones are slightly convex (bowed) as per the original. Perhaps that didn't show up too well in my other pictures so here's another. Thanks for the links.

IMG_6447.JPG

BTW - the buffers on the "next" wagon are NOT inverted (concave) but convex like these, or even just flat. It would be a VERY difficult task to sort out each wagon into "innies" and "outies" every time they were coupled. One could argue that the ones on the front were convex and the rear were concave, but the wagons do get turned around frequently. The convex buffers actually allow for a smaller turning radius, preventing "buffer lock", where one buffer can get caught behind the other and possibly cause a de-railment. I've never seen a concave buffer (or "innie") :D .

You'll have to excuse me - my daughter just informed me that my Bulgar Loco has arrived at last - ordered on July 4th. I thought the ship had sunk :D. Looks like I'm about to get busy :) :) . Yaaayyy.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I don't know how it was/is done in eastern parts of europe, but here it is not both buffers convex on one side, and both concave on the other side: it is a left/right business: the left one (when standing in front of the wagon) being the mushroom-one, the right one flat. So, there never is any problem when turning around, or sorting.

Good to hear your loco finally made it to australia !

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Just went through this build Danny, beautiful work!

Mike

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 months later...

I mentioned earlier in this build log that I would need to modify the trucks to suit the standard gauge rail of the rest of this train. Now that the loco is finished I could work out the correct height. It looks a bit weird, but all is as it should be :

IMG_6856.JPG

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

awesome job Danny.......your command of the paper medium is off the charts!  I have to ask.......you have the loco,  the tanker,  and the flat car with logs.........must be what looks like a large diorama.  where are you displaying them?  love to see the entire display  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There's also a Beer Wagon in progress at the moment :) . I've made 2.5 metres of highly detailed rails (in two pieces for easier transport) which will hold the lot.

IMG_6893.JPG

IMG_6894.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny