Flat Bed Wagon by Dan Vadas - Modelik - 1:25 - CARD - FINISHED

Hi all,

My next major model will be a German Steam Locomotive built between 1931 and 1943 designated "Bulgar". The model itself still hasn't arrived from MODELIK in Poland, so I bought a Modelik Flat Bed Wagon which will be displayed behind the loco along with two other wagons. I got this one from Fenten's Models in Brisbane to give me something to do while I'm waiting. It only took a few days to arrive, pity they didn't have the loco in stock :( .

Here's a pic of the cover art and another of several views of the completed model :

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

I started with the wheels. The construction of these is different to any other wheels I've made in the past. A good design, but some of the parts weren't a perfect fit (more about that below). Here are most of the parts for them, which I've already prepared :

IMG_6376.JPG

The kit suggested building a jig to assemble them, another good idea which I've adopted :

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

To roll the rim edge I used a socket of the appropriate size :

IMG_6375.JPG

Nearly all done. The parts that were a bit narrow were the outer rims, missed by about 0.5mm :( :

IMG_6379.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

If i may suggest Danny, the top quality locos are considered to be Angraf. I have had a look through a few of them, nearly half a thickness of a Bible. And beautyfully drawn. Mostly without any problems from what i heard.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

3 hours ago, maaaslo said:

If i may suggest Danny, the top quality locos are considered to be Angraf. I have had a look through a few of them, nearly half a thickness of a Bible. And beautyfully drawn. Mostly without any problems from what i heard.

Thanks Pav. I'd never heard of Angraf - a bit late now, but I'll see if I can find their site.

EDIT - Found one : ANSWER MODELS. I looked at some of the models and agree with your assessment.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Here's a site i just bounce'd across while looking up angraf.......... maybe i'll make one of these and hang it from the p-26🙂                                                      https://www.ecardmodels.com/product/1-24-little-boy-atomic-bomb-paper-model/     i did'nt see this at first but they got this one also https://www.ecardmodels.com/product/1-24-fat-man-atomic-bomb-paper-model/

Edited by TOM G
updated

Did you order the laserset that goes with the loco? 

Saves you time, as it incluses the spoked wheel and the frames (as far as I understood in a card-forum). It is a serious locomotive: you'll need some shelve-space when finished :)

Jan

Edited by amateur

On 9/2/2019 at 3:18 AM, amateur said:

Did you order the laserset that goes with the loco? 

Saves you time, as it incluses the spoked wheel and the frames (as far as I understood in a card-forum). It is a serious locomotive: you'll need some shelve-space when finished :)

Jan

Sure did Jan. I usually always get any available laser-cut sets with every card model I buy. In addition to the wheels etc I also got laser-cut rivets and bolt heads - somewhere around 7,000 of them :D.

It's big all right - around 750mm long. Add to that the three carriages that are behind it and the display will be nearly 2 metres long :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

sounds like a very interesting model.......do you have the others on order?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

14 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

I also got laser-cut rivets and bolt heads - somewhere around 7,000 of them

I guess this officially makes you a “rivet counter” Danny! 😀

When you receive the kit, can you give us some of the history?

Fentens advertises it as a Polish machine, named Bulgar, sometimes it is referred to as a German machine, but the pics in the internet suggest that it is a Bulgarian one (build in Poland, nicknamed 'Mother Bear')

(registration number 46.03)

bulgar.jpg.89788f474d75dbae239ebba0551b615c.jpg

(btw nice pattern for the rivetting :))

Jan

you'll be doing an entire tutorial just on the wheels!   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

On 9/2/2019 at 10:04 PM, Dan Vadas said:

It's big all right - around 750mm long. Add to that the three carriages that are behind it and the display will be nearly 2 metres long :).

So, what are you going to start building next? I assume this all will be finished by xmas...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

On 9/3/2019 at 9:14 AM, popeye the sailor said:

sounds like a very interesting model.......do you have the others on order?

They are all coming together, when they EVENTUALLY get here. I ordered them 2 months ago - coming by Snail Mail :(.

"When you receive the kit, can you give us some of the history? Fentens advertises it as a Polish machine, named Bulgar, sometimes it is referred to as a German machine"

Yep, I'll post that in the loco's build log. 20 of them were built in both Germany (8) and Poland (12) between 1931 and 1943. Some did indeed go to Bulgarian Railways.

BTW - nice picture. Thanks for that. :).

"I assume this all will be finished by xmas..."

Maybe a bit longer - there are 32 A3 size pages of parts, plus all the laser-cut ones.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Or maybe a helper engine pushing heavy trains up hills. Hope it had a stoker appliance to push fuel into the firebox, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I haven't updated for a while but I've been busy building :). Here's the main bed :

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

The start of the suspension. This was very tricky to work out as the instruction pics were rather vague. This is one of the 8 axle boxes :

IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

The  brackets that connect the left and right suspensions. The instructions said to paint the back side of each piece, but I printed out some thin paper with a matching pattern that I drew up in Paint. This was glued to the back of each piece after I'd cut and folded it. The edges were deliberately left long and I trimmed them after the glue dried :

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

Danny 

Cheers, Danny

The suspension in stages of construction :

IMG_6393.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6396.JPG

The paper parts in this pic are the springs. I made my own from softened 0.5mm brass wire :

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

One of the finished suspensions :

IMG_6394.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

the brass axles is a nice touch......not part of the kit,  I would imagine.   definitely will add to the strength of the truck  ;) ......    the springs look good too.......as well as the 'I' beam construction........looks quite real  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The wagon is finished. I've given it a couple of coats of semi-gloss clear.

I'll have to do a modification to the bogie mountings later, when I know how high to make the the buffers sit. I have to wait on the rest of the kits to establish that. The difference is that this wagon was a narrow-gauge one and the loco and other wagons are standard (European) gauge so they are different heights. This occurs in "real life" as well - when shifting a wagon from a narrow gauge track onto the main line standard gauge the bogies are replaced with specially modified ones, which usually takes less time than unloading and re-loading the cargo. This is common practice in Europe and several other places in the world. HERE is some information about the process.

Here are the final pics :

IMG_6403.JPG

IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

nicely done Danny........I see the trucks move as well.    you did a super job with this one :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I see the trucks move as well.    you did a super job with this one :) 

The wheels also turn :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

STILL WAITING for my Locomotive kit :( , I decided to enhance the wagon with a load of logs. I downloaded some pictures of real logs and modified the sizes in Paint.net to suit the wagon. These took me quite a while to make, but it's filled in the time :) :

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6436.JPG

I made them in four size diameters :

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

To save on paper and ink I only made the middle logs 20mm long :

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

I also made up some lashing chains and tensioners :

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Danny, nicely done. Very credible garden railway scale logging car. We've got a few at my rail club's outdoor railway. And an often used trick with the short logs. Looking good. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

38 minutes ago, Canute said:

Very credible garden railway scale logging car

Thanks Ken. "Garden Railway" ??? It's a bit smaller than that - 1:25, which I think is "1" Gauge or a bit bigger ;) :D .

Danny

Cheers, Danny