Benjamin W Latham by jwvolz - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48

6 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

Crisp and clean, so nice!

But how did you persuade the anchor cable to lay so naturally? It really looks, uhm, real.

Good question actually as it did take some effort. Each loop is individually glued down with white glue and then a weight was put on until dry. I repeated with each subsequent layer. Wouldn't stay put otherwise and gave much better control of the lay. 

Thanks to everyone else as well, and the "likes".

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Love the "look" of her Joe, those shots really highlight not only your focus on the detail but also the way you've tied everything in together and achieved a very realistic scale look.  Definitely something to aspire to.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I love what you have done with this model. When I first looked at it, I took it as something I could aspire toward, but probably would not be able to reach.  Having worked on my schooner for a year now (very slowly) I know that the “aspire” ain’t ever going to happen!  Your level of detail and quality is really good!

• 6 months later...

Well, bit of a long overdue update.

I've been super busy at work, spending time outside over the summer, then I had Covid. So even though I've worked on the model a fair amount I haven't posted anything in quite awhile. Here we go.

I've completed nearly all of the rigging on the Latham. One thing I wanted to touch on first was the baggywrinkle. I puzzled long and hard over how to make this neatly and in scale. I am a fly fisherman/fly tier and it eventually hit me to use peacock herl, which is used for certain fly bodies. I used my serving machine to wrap it around the rigging line, and then subsequently painted with tan paint. Really happy with the way it came out. I'll have more updates over the coming days. 

bwl75.jpg

bwl76.jpg

bwl80.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Looks great Joe.  Way to think outside (inside?) the tackle box. 😆

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

More update photos as promised. These show the gaff rigging and some of the topmast rigging. As mentioned earlier, these are Bluejacket blocks and Syren line. 

bwl77.jpg

bwl79.jpg

bwl81.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Looking really sharp. Nice paint work and the blocks and baggywrinkle work very well.

You're on your way to a real beauty.

Jim

My Current Project is the Pinky Schooner Dove Found here: Dove Build Log

Previously built schooners:

Benjamin Latham

Latham's Seine Boat

Prince de Neufchatel

11 hours ago, jlefever said:

Looking really sharp. Nice paint work and the blocks and baggywrinkle work very well.

You're on your way to a real beauty.

Jim

Thank you Jim.

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 4 months later...

I just read over your build log again, Joe. Gorgeous, meticulous work! Any further progress on this wonderful model?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 1/29/2022 at 2:42 AM, Retired guy said:

Brilliant rigging Joe do like your baggywrinkle do have a few to make for the Bluenose, do you have a drawing how you made them.

Did you use the rope from the kit or did you buy or did you make your own.

Regards

Richard  

Richard,

Thanks.

The rope is Syren. For the baggywrinkle I simply placed the appropriate length of rope in my serving machine, and then attached the piece of the peacock hearl with fine thread. I then wrapped it around the rope for the distance necessary and seized it off on that end again with fine thread. Final step was to paint with diluted tan acrylic paint. It's actually incredibly simple. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

On 1/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, BobG said:

I just read over your build log again, Joe. Gorgeous, meticulous work! Any further progress on this wonderful model?

Thanks Bob. She's actually finished, and has been for a couple of months. I just need to get this log caught up. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

What a marvel !!! Your work is so meticulous and precise. I love it.

Yves

Thank you very much.

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful model, wow!! Very clean, nicely done.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• The title was changed to Benjamin W Latham by jwvolz - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48