Benjamin W Latham by jwvolz - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48

Finished the seine boat. I did not take in-progress pictures past that initial one on the build board. Let's just say the process between there and finished was not pretty, but in the end came out reasonably well. The plans themselves are very good, it's the method MS gives you to get there that isn't...

There is still a good bit of finished detail to add, but I'll leave that for later on at this point. 

thumbnail_20200402_123338.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123351.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123357.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123416.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I'm currently working on some plastic models as well as the Latham, so things aren't proceeding as rapidly at the moment. I did get the cap rails installed and the hull painted. Hull was painted with the airbrush. I was going to scribe the cove as per prototype, but tests showed that was not going to work very well in the basswood so I decided to just paint it on, which turned out much better. 

I used water slide decals from Microscale for the name. I couldn't find gold in the font/scale I wanted so had to use white. 

BWL29.jpg

BWL30.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

You did a great job with the airbrush the paint looks super!!! How did you handle the top edge, where the black meets the white on top of the rail. Were you able to tape that off on top of the rail and use the airbrush or did you use a paint brush along the edge? Beautiful work :) 

Edited by NovaStorm

11 minutes ago, NovaStorm said:

You did a great job with the airbrush the paint looks super!!! How did you handle the top edge, where the black meets the white on top of the rail. Were you able to tape that off on top of the rail and use the airbrush or did you use a paint brush along the edge? Beautiful work :) 

Thanks.

I taped the top of the rail and airbrushed the vertical surface. Used Tamiya tape, which is really good stuff, been using it for years. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

25 minutes ago, jwvolz said:

Thanks.

I taped the top of the rail and airbrushed the vertical surface. Used Tamiya tape, which is really good stuff, been using it for years. 

Joe thanks for the response. I suspected you had and I was going to try that on my bluenose but brushed the edge with so so results, only because it was my first time airbrushing. Cheers thanks for the conformation on a better way to go!

On 4/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, jwvolz said:

Finished the seine boat. I did not take in-progress pictures past that initial one on the build board. Let's just say the process between there and finished was not pretty, but in the end came out reasonably well. The plans themselves are very good, it's the method MS gives you to get there that isn't...

There is still a good bit of finished detail to add, but I'll leave that for later on at this point. 

thumbnail_20200402_123338.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123351.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123357.jpg

thumbnail_20200402_123416.jpg

Beatifull work,!

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on the chainplates last couple of days. I made the strop rings by creating a small jig to bend brass wire around, forming a loop on each, which were then cut and soldered closed. The chainplates were made from sheet brass, with a loop soldered in the top. I used some brass nails cut to simulate to bolts to attach the strop to the chainplate, and once painted it all looks reasonably good. 

BWL32.jpg

BWL33.jpg

BWL34.jpg

BWL31.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Chainplates are installed on the hull.

Rather than try to carve slits through the two rails, I decided to cut appropriate full-depth gaps. Not a big deal since it all gets painted anyway. After the chainplates were glued and pinned in place a small piece of wood the width of the rail was glued over the top. I then puttied with Tamiya putty. Once all this is dry I'll sand it smooth and touch up the paint. Since there will be a final overall flat coat it should blend in just fine. 

This all had to be done after overall painting, as there was no good way to mask and paint the cove stripe with it being under the chainplates. 

BWL35.jpg

BWL36.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished cleaning up and repainting the chainplates. . I also painted the decorative element around the hawse hole. A nice 20/0 brush and a careful hand got it looking good. This wasn't the first attempt, but re-doing acrylics is easy. The really hard part was getting both sides to look the same doing this free hand. 

bwl37.jpg

bwl38.jpg

bwl39.jpg

Edited by jwvolz

Joe Volz

Current build:

Hello Joe

Top quality work on all all skills, ship builder, painter, sign writer, metal worker.

Too many skills needed in this caper!

The Seine boat looks like the real thing I hope my small boats come up as good.

Cheers Chris

The Latham carried a dory in addition to the seine boat, to secure the other end of the seine as it was circled around a school of fish. There is a plan for one included on the sheet with the seine boat, but it is not very complete. I found a plan online that was noted as "free". I scaled it to 1/48th and printed it out. A simple building board will be constructed and frames made out based on the plans. Shouldn't be too bad to build as it has a flat bottom. I'll build it out of basswood, since it all gets painted anyway. 

Free-Dory-Plans-1-resized.jpg

BWL40.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

There are only a few frames on the dory plans. I traced those onto some basswood sheet to make formers, and also installed the transom at the correct angle. Small strips were bent to shape to form the frames (very severe bends at bottom), and the hull was planked with basswood strips. As the dory has a flat bottom, I did not worry about taper, as it gets sanded flat before the bottom of the hull is installed. It was more important to get the uppermost plank fitted correctly to the sheer. 

BWL41.jpg

BWL42.jpg

BWL43.jpg

BWL44.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

I've finished most of the main work on the dory. Bottom is installed, sheer rail,intermediate frames,  interior details etc... Everything will eventually be painted and final details added such as thwarts, rope coils, oars and such. 

BWL45.jpg

BWL46.jpg

BWL47.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build: