Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

Ekis,

I tried to respond to this about 3 hours ago on my IPad, typed it out hit send, and I don't know where it went because I lost my internet connection, so I'll try again.

EG is entirely correct. You were entirely correct. The only place I've actually heard the Lord's house ( with a capital L ) mentioned was actually in church and was called that by the priest or pastor conducting the service. That's why the connotation immediately came to my mind. Also, I haven't met too many actual lords around where I live, definitely in my particular neighborhood. There are some gated communities though, which I'm not allowed into so maybe some live there. I'll never know.

As far as the structure goes I guess around where I live it would probably be thought of as a noblemen's house (we don't have any of those either). I would normally think of it as a manor or mansion or an estate. Ordinary people live in a house, the gentry in something much grander. (( not that any of us is ordinary, especially you or me! (sarcasm) )).

Again, none of this was a criticism in any way.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

14 minutes ago, Waitoa said:

What did you use for the lattice work in the windows, can’t seem to find anything readily available.

These are very thin transparent protective sheets for pharmaceutical patches ! 😁
It so happens that the relief cross of these sheets perfectly matches the cross-mounting of the glasses of the time on the windows !
But you can find a slightly tinted rhodoïd paper on packages of all kinds of products when you do your shopping ! 😉

@Kurt Johnson In fact, it's exactly the same thing in French!

If a religious person speaks of the "Maison du Seigneur", then everyone will understand that it is the church... But if we say the "logis du seigneur" , then there's no doubt about the most luxurious house of the local owner...

(And don't apologize all the time for the second degree in your posts, I can very well tell the difference between a serious person and a note of humour...! Even in English). 😂

12 hours ago, Ekis said:

🤣
Oh, that's a good question for a french guy like me !
How does a British and an American/Canadian translate the house of the local lord in this type of village?

Is there a difference in words?

I suppose Manor House would be a close approximation.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

No, right now, I'm brushing the stones, and I wash them with water with a brush.  And as I age the buildings after the wooden pieces are laid, I can't put anything in until everything is done, including the vegetation. :)

PS: I've taken a few days of vacation, the village will be on break for 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Before continuing with the lord's house, I started work on a connecting building between the fortified gate and the Manor. 

Not only to continue the wall, but also to build a barn-drying shed. I saw this construction this summer in the south of France, I thought it would be quite suitable...

After some research, it is indeed a building of the 14th century, I adapted all this to my fortifications. 

The photos are visuals of the building site: it's not finished at all!   😁

There are still the doors of the stables, the covering of the upper part which must be partly closed, some details.

p9010010.jpg

p9010011.jpg

p9010013.jpg

p9010013.jpg

p9010014.jpg

p9010015.jpg

p9010016.jpg

p9010017.jpg

p9010018.jpg

p9010019.jpg

A small precision of its location :

p9010020.jpg

p9010021.jpg

p9010022.jpg

p9010025.jpg

p9010023.jpg

p9010024.jpg

your village looks better and better every time you show your progress :)    the detail you add is awesome..........really nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Seems like even when you are gone someone is still adding structures to your village. Are you keeping little Keebler Elves around the house? I recognize the bin full of hay, but what are the other two bins full of? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

No, I don't have elves, but the structure of the first floor in cardboard was indeed made at the same time as the 18th century crane presented in another thread.
For the filling of the barn, it is indeed hay (in fact hemp cut in very small pieces), potatoes or apples, and other vegetables... (in fact, they are millet seeds for the birds and coriander seeds)! 😁

So if I understand it, the upper level is just a platform over each doorway and each item is no deeper than the upper floor. At first I thought that they were more like silos where the items would be stacked all of the way down to the lower floor behind the closed doorways. Possibly OK for something light like the hay. But the apples and such would be apple sauce at the bottom of that stack! Possibly the potatoes as well. What was the space behind the doors used for?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

In fact, there are a number of things you can safely leave to dry for several weeks. Potatoes, nuts, hay of course, for example. But you can also leave apples without any problem, just long enough to sell or distribute the harvest.
Underneath, you can either have stables for cows, sheep or, as was often the case in the Middle Ages, a pigsty.

In front of the building there may be one or more pens for the animals. Here again, in the villages, the animals lived in the middle of the village with the inhabitants... ;)

Ekis, 

Do you think that a number of buildings would completely change their purpose from the intended one over the years? I would think they did. Or maybe have a collapsed or fire damaged building, or for that matter a new one under construction. Just a thought. 

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Yes, of course!

Buildings have always changed function according to the needs of the moment, except for churches, of course.
But from there to making a building burnt down, or completely under construction, I'm not sure.

I think that I am already going to make sure that I put the whole thing in place, to go through some ideas to present and age this village.
Later, if I make extensions, I will still be able to transform certain parts. 😁

1 hour ago, Ekis said:

I think that I am already going to make sure that I put the whole thing in place, to go through some ideas to present and age this village.
Later, if I make extensions, I will still be able to transform certain parts. 😁

Thank you for your reply on the drying buildings.

Extending the village at a latter date by adding new structures and roads would not be out of place either. Most villages grow over time and become towns and even sometimes cities and the original boundaries are overrun with little regard to the original town plan if there ever was any.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The beautiful work continues.  Your town is growing and looking great Ekis.  So interesting and fun to follow.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I progressed on this building: Addition of pillars on the facade, cladding on all sides of the first floor, beginning to install wooden spikes instead of tiles (rather long to do, that ...).  😁

p9060010.jpg

p9060011.jpg

p9060012.jpg

p9060013.jpg

p9060014.jpg

p9060015.jpg

p9060016.jpg

Mind blowing. There is now a serious risk that I will get bored with building boats😄

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, ready to start build))

Thanx Waitoa ! :)
I use AK interactive's Wash for Wood which I dilute differently on wood or stone. Then I add a little mold in places with the Slimy Grime Dark from the same brand.
If it's too dark, I brush with a dry brush.

And for wood, I first stain it with a dark wood stain (rosewood for example) before applying the same AK products, and I bleach some places with acetone. ;)

Hi Kurt and thanx for keeping this thread alive! I really appreciate it. 😃
For the name of the village, we'll see that at the inauguration: I'll find a name close to the south of France...
And no, there will be no barracks other than the watchtower already made: the main part of the defense being ensured by the villagers themselves, contrary to a lordly fortress or castle of the time.