Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

😁 I don't even know what and how to answer you, Kurt!

Come on, let's say he's neither good nor bad, he's a very small baron, he's poor and above all vassal of the Maison de Toulouse in that year 1361... But the whole County has just been attached by King Jean II Le Bon to the Kingdom of France. Nobody knows what will become of this little unknown nobleman of the French court. This fortified bastide is only a small part of this distant province of Paris. The English claim the right to administer the whole county, but the King of France ignores them. 🏰

Ekis,  I apologize to you. This was completely misconstrued. I was trying to be light hearted. Please disregard my post, I was not construing any negative intent. I was being flippant if that translates correctly. 

Regards, 

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Kurt, I had understood the second degree side of your post! 😁
... And after wondering how I could answer you in the same tone, I wrote how I build this village: all my answer is based on real facts with real names (Jean Le Bon was really king of France), but this village doesn't exist... But it could have existed exactly as I do!
And above all, please, keep intervening as you do, I will answer you with real pleasure and a real smile (which you obviously don't see...) ! 😂

can't say anymore that hasn't already been said..........your village is coming out superb!  some really nice shots too..........sweet! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Absolutely stunning! What will be the overall dimensions of the village if I may ask?

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Nice! At 1:87 scale it is still looking very detailed but not to bad to handle and store. At 1:48 you would need an extra room to store the village. Are you going to put it into a clear case after finishing it?

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Well, I haven't thought about how I'm going to protect him when it's over. For several reasons: I haven't yet started finalizing the pedestals until all the buildings and fortifications are done, maybe I'll have to lengthen the pedestals a little bit to put things outside the walls... ☺️

The next building will be the lord's house. The cardboard base suits me quite well, I just changed the height of the roofs like the other buildings. But I'm keeping it for the layout, reinforcing it a little inside, of course.

p3270014.jpg

Where I think it's going to get a little tougher is the upgrade of the facade... (knowing that I have 2 or 3 things to add for the other sides too !) I'm starting from this:

plan_b10.jpg

...and the project is something like this:

plan310.jpg

Well, let's be clear, I think I'm going to lighten up a bit, but overall there's a bit of work to be done, so I'm going to take it easy, and do 2 or 3 tries on the hard parts...

But it's worth a try ! (not even afraid to show you the project before actually realizing it...!) 🤪

Wow, you're not going down the easy route, it'll look superb when you've put your stamp on it😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That's an awful lot of very fine timbering... A true manor house....

Have you decided what you going to use for the slightly off white mastic between the timbers yet? 

It's going to be spectacular truly fitting for the Lord/Baron/wealthiest man in town.....

Impressive...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanx ! :)

41 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Have you decided what you going to use for the slightly off white mastic between the timbers yet? 

Yes, I'm going to use a very thin Gap Filler Mastic that I've been using to make the joints between the stones since the beginning. But this time, it will be mixed with the stone dust I keep in a jar. ;)

2 hours ago, Ekis said:

Well, let's be clear, I think I'm going to lighten up a bit,

Too late you've shown us the plans...

2 hours ago, Ekis said:

not even afraid to show you the project before actually realizing it

Well that was a bit silly...😋

Besides you clearly love a challenge...and you certainly have the skill level... K. I'll stop now😁

Nick

On 7/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ekis said:

Where I think it's going to get a little tougher is the upgrade of the facade... (knowing that I have 2 or 3 things to add for the other sides too !) I'm starting from this:

Just adding two or three things?????  😲

It will look fantastic when completed.  Looking forward to watching the changes.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Great progress Ekis!  I really like the communal oven with the smoke stained bricks. Nice detailing everywhere.  Such a fun build to follow.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Come on, first try ! Here are the half-timberings of the first central floor on the right, and a filling try on the left with my mixture between the half-timberings on an exercise square.

p7160010.jpg

p7160011.jpg

We will have to wait for it to dry, of course, before sanding and finding all the wooden structures...Then will come the time to stain all this properly. 

But visually, it does it, once sanded ! 😛

p7170010.jpg

gonna be a nice looking home........I was wondering if your saving any of the stone dust.   I do the same with sawdust....makes a good filler as well ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ekis, 

Once again this building appears to be the most interesting one of all. Based on your drawing of it, it would even be nice as a stand alone project, maybe in twice the scale of the village. That would be of course in addition to the present one. That would make a cool  vignette. Just the buildings facade in a shadow box. I might try something like that. Not anywhere near as ambitious, but with a greater likely hood of completing it. You have got me thinking ( a very unusual  occurrence to be sure.) 

Do you have any particular pictures of your inspiration to show us like you did with the oven?

Looking forward to the next update.

Regards,

Kurt

I love the line drawings! I used to do some arcitectectural renderings ( actually modify them) when in college for an architect my best friend worked for. Naturally way before computers. I always admired how some people could make a pencil or pen create magic. My niece is extremely good at it. Actually is your own drawing done on computer? I actually had gotten Blender to try and teach myself but never went anywhere with it. Maybe I should look in to it again.

Kurt

The idea to make this lord's house is simpler than a complete creation: I use pieces of real and still existing houses, and I make a Photoshop montage of them to try to have the right proportions... The point is simply to be as close as possible to what existed to build correctly. But I have to use the constraints of my stones and the cardboard base, even if I transform a little to make the whole thing look good...
And like you, I love architecture, whatever the period!
As long as it's creative and adapted to life. 😉

Lots of houses like that in both Warwick  and Stratford on Avon   here in the UK.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It’s kind of humorous, in the US and I’m guessing Canada too, the Lord’s House would automatically infer a church. The L would be capitalized of course. There’s no misunderstanding your meaning though. 

This isn’t a criticism.  

Kurt

23 minutes ago, Ekis said:

🤣
Oh, that's a good question for a french guy like me !
How does a British and an American/Canadian translate the house of the local lord in this type of village?

Is there a difference in words?

No, no difference in words. Just a difference in meaning based upon context or subject matter.....

Also in American usage I've never seen an example of "The Lords house" used as the subject of a conversation. When directly referred to it is referenced as a church...  "The Lords house" in reference to a church is an inference or metaphor used in describing an ideal rather than an actual object..

I know it's technical language usage which is a very droll subject, but it is the truth.....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"