Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

9 hours ago, Ekis said:

It would be a pleasure for Kurt to see the village, but for the moment it is only visible in my studio. And there are no plans to have a public place of exhibition... 😉

You mean, that if we showed up on your doorstep, you would turn us away??????????😭 I think I could spend hours just looking through the streets and buildings and never get bored.

Don't you think the village is getting large enough to have a name now?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

But what if Ekis puts trees in, then what?:P

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

You mean, that if we showed up on your doorstep, you would turn us away??????????😭 I think I could spend hours just looking through the streets and buildings and never get bored.

Oh no, I wouldn't leave you at the door, but this village is for the moment in my workshop attic ... And it's not really a museum open to everyone! 😁

1 hour ago, Veszett Roka said:

Let me give a name: Le village Sans Arbres :)

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

But what if Ekis puts trees in, then what?:P

And indeed, it is well planned to put a little vegetation around and in this village ... All the trees are still waiting in a box under the desk!
So for the name, I will search a bit more. Especially if one day I decide to enlarge and add a port on the edge of a river, then the name would surely be something like "La bastide sur l'eau" or "Le village sur <name of the river>" ... 😉

3 minutes ago, Ekis said:

Oh no, I wouldn't leave you at the door, but this village is for the moment in my workshop attic ... And it's not really a museum open to everyone!

Well, it is just us, and we are used to hanging from the rafters.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

By your fingers or your toes?

The village is coming along superbly. Great job. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Attached with a left handed monkey wrench and secured with 100 feet of flight line.

Sorry, I'll go quietly.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

When it's  quiet you can hear rustling as they change from toes to fingers, I personally sling a balloon gondola from two of Jack's sky hooks ;). I've already got my coat🙄😬

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Before finishing the current house (there is still the roof to be done), I wanted to attack the next one, which is attached.

The stones used for the facades on this one are 3x3x6mm... No half-timbering this time, just stone. And I didn't choose simplicity for the openings ! Fortunately, the sides will be blind (glued against the inn on the left, and on the right, well... surprise!).  😁

Here is the beginning to show a little bit the raw side of the construction:

PB140001.JPG.72d405c5fe761696222758a9893924c7.JPG

PB140002.JPG.7e5689d5f4ac55ad7e5896c7d06d40aa.JPG

PB140003.JPG.1ed218c494f7aec00a38416740c3f4e7.JPG

PB140008.JPG.4469f261a5c399f728202195c4b09337.JPG

38 minutes ago, Ekis said:

glued against the inn on the left, and on the right, well... surprise!

Well, you gots to have a place to get a brewski..... No surprise there..... Of course I"m not that old, but if I ever saw an old world tavern, that's it....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Hey,

Why don’t we all meet at the Inn to get pissed before Ekis takes us on tour of the village? He must include those hanging upside down in the rafters or we will be done with him. There are other villages out there, or so I think. They might not be anywheres near so splendid, but he can’t take us for granted,

People have told me that this Ekis is a very very fine fellow. He is definitely an architect of extraordinary talents. However, if he excludes our rafter hangers this should not be tolerated no matter how splendid this village maybe. This is my opinion alone and should not reflect MSW in any way.

Kurt

Actually in an effort to be fair, I am of those who think Ekis is an exceedingly fine fellow with extraordinary talents. Therefore, I really doubt there will be any problems. So you should probably disregard the entire response. 

Lets meet at the Inn anyway. The rabbit stew has to be the experienced ( something to do with local spices) I have been informed from reliable sources. 

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

36 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Why don’t we all meet at the Inn to get pissed before Ekis takes us on tour of the village?

That is why he probably keeps it secure and remote in his work room and away from us! He doesn't want a bunch of soused rafter hanging Ding Bats wandering around his village wining and wenching like a bunch of pirates. (But to me it has become real enough over the last few months to see myself doing just that!)

I do have a question though Ekis. When you have two buildings joined like these with no space, would it be common for both to have their own wall on the joined side or would it be more common for the later structure to be built using the common wall of the first? With proper compensation of course if there were two owners of the joined buildings.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

A friend of mine years ago owned a small 16th century cottage in Suffolk (England), built between two even older houses. The place was perhaps 12' 0" wide (4 m) with one room up, one room down. The adjacent buildings' walls were common to his 'new' house. A quaint feature was the upstairs room, nominally the bedroom. The ceiling was perhaps 5' 6" high at the walls. However, over the centuries the ceiling had sagged so that it was more than a foot lower in the center of the room. It gave the impression of a large canvas sail or hammock.

Bathroom? Septic system out back and an outhouse. I helped him dig out for the tank. The ground was heavy clay. I was 19 at the time, thank goodness!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Maybe they'll serve us a venison stew? Had a great one in a tiny gasthaus on the German/Luxembourg border. The facility was rather modern, but the food was traditional. My Dad had pictures of Bitburg when he was there in 1945. All the stuff I saw in town 28 years later was about my age or newer at that time.

Ken

1 minute ago, Canute said:

All the stuff I saw in town 28 years later was about my age or newer at that time.

That's unfortunately true all over Europe and parts of Japan as well..... 

Quote:

We used to live in a haunted 17th century cottage  with that exact same sagging roof  and old leaky windows.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

lining the windows and doors with wood will accent the building greatly.....it will look like a continual ;)   ......I'll go for the 'pulled boar' ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

wouldn't have it any other way  ;)    certified 'rib' man here..........and I wear it well too!  

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ribs are good, as is brisket. Or pulled pork. Our big argument is the appropriate sauce to apply. We have East(vinegar base) and West(tomato base) North Carolina sauces and some parts of South Carolina favor a mustard base. :D

Ken

:P:PThe mustard sauce would also be ideal mixed with honey and used as a baste for the hog roast, mmmm crispy crackling :P

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

wife has bought me a few of these kits for Christmas, but they are a smaller scale, looking forward to something a little different

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Ribs are good, as is brisket. Or pulled pork. Our big argument is the appropriate sauce to apply. We have East(vinegar base) and West(tomato base) North Carolina sauces and some parts of South Carolina favor a mustard base. :D

You will have to share recipes, with the lockdown I am trying to master American style bbq, not great starting this in the middle of a UK winter

As for the sauces, over the years I've had all three types... doesn't matter, bring on the roast beast and sauce it as the chef prefers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Isn't that what France is famous for? :D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I don't think BBQ is part of French Haute Cuisine. Many other great dishes, which this Yankee won't even attempt to spell.

Ken