Medieval Fortified Village by Ekis - 1/87 scratch base kit Aedes Ars

Ekis

This is evolving into a superb work of architecture. I almost feel like you are allowing us to walk down the streets and admire your creation.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks all for your follow and much appreciated comments!

That's a good question, Kurt. But to answer it, you need to know a little bit about feudal organization in 14th-century France.
I'm not going to give a history lesson here, but simply try to make sense of this little village back then...

There is here a church, not very important, and a very small monastery symbolized by the cloister and outbuildings. So, a handful of monks (a maximum of ten) with an abbot at the head who also does the service every day.
A seigneurial lodge is also planned, thus a residence for a small nobleman of the region.
A few houses leaning against the walls, a market place (thus a commercial activity).
One can thus think that the village was founded in agreement between the religious authorities and the little nobleman of the province who share the incomes of the trade and the harvests... A Baron or just a Squire who received this piece of land as a reward.
But it's really a very small country hamlet, with some defences.
We are not at all in the seigniorial castle belonging to a powerful Count.
It's all very modest.

And no, I haven't even looked up a name for this bastide yet. 😁

Sorry for the translation can be a little bit risky from DeepL, I don't really know if everything is well written in English.

6 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Superbe. On se croirait a Carcassonne!!!

Merci ;)
En beaucoup, beaucoup plus petit alors !

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

This is evolving into a superb work of architecture. I almost feel like you are allowing us to walk down the streets and admire your creation.

Thanx !
I hope to show you around a bit. And to show the idea I have of this time as close as possible to the reality of that time! 😊

Edited by Ekis

Ekis,

Thanks for the explanation. 
If you’re using a translator, it works very well. Everything sounds very natural and flows well. It’s not the least bit awkward. I only know a few phrases in a couple of languages, and of course they would definitly get me trouble using them.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Félicitation Ekis !       Ah ...enfin quelqu'un qui aime le moyen-age  🙂 j'adore le cloitre et le fait d'utiliser la pierre donne tant de réalisme...Moi-meme  je suis sur un projet du moyen-age ..la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris..j'ai fait aussi un vitrail..Notre-Dame de la belle verrière...dont voici quelques photos en bas...si je ferais comme toi mon projet en pierre,cela me prendrait au moins 20 ans...c'est pourquoi je la fait en bois...Ce que je trouve merveilleux aujourd'hui  c'est le fait d'avoir accès a plusieurs matériaux différents , des outils aussi  comme proxxon ,   dremel sans oublier le banc de scie de jim byrnes qui est d'une remarquable qualité.Tout  le monde ont leurs projet....avions,navire  etc...mais quelqu'un qui fait un projet comme le tient ,c'est rare et c'a prend beaucoup de temps et de patience...Ce que j'aime de ce site a part you tube,c'est d'avoir acces  a beaucoup d'informations sur des techniques différentes ...c'est très rare sur internet. Les gens sur ce site s'entraide beaucoup et sont très respectueux.......................J'espère voir d'autres projet de ta part et bonne continuation...........Pierre  ton petit cousin du Québec😁.

English Translation:

Congratulations Ekis! Ah ... well someone who loves the Middle Ages 🙂 I love the cloister and the fact of using the stone gives so much realism ... Myself I am on a project of the Middle Ages .. the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral ... I also made a stained glass window ... Our Lady of the beautiful glass roof ... here are some pictures below ... if I would do my stone project like you, it would take me less 20 years ... that's why I made it out of wood ... What I find wonderful today is the fact of having access to several different materials, tools also like proxxon, dremel without forgetting the bench saw by jim byrnes which is of a remarkable quality. Everyone has their project .... planes, ship etc ... but someone who does a project as he wants, it is rare and it it takes a lot of time and patience ... What I like about this site apart from you tube, is having access to a lot of information on different techniques ... it's very rare on the internet . The people on this site help each other a lot and are very respectful ....................... I hope to see other projects from you and good luck ........... Pierre your little cousin from Quebec😁.

image.jpeg.024df803baa976c6d422f8defd070fa1.jpegimage.jpeg.dd47bfb087e95a957fb524b4b584038e.jpegimage.jpeg.9e880593d8b3ccf245ea6d1f03fab497.jpegimage.jpeg.f74cd8ef572cf3aab3ec298f232331f1.jpegimage.jpeg.29947001aa9305f7572ed392b2e47346.jpegimage.jpeg.caafdac0a2dc87d627d4361072bd4d9f.jpegimage.jpeg.6fc2ff5acd7f4c0fd035616de4846e43.jpeg

2 hours ago, agamemnon9 said:

Félicitation Ekis !       Ah ...enfin quelqu'un qui aime le moyen-age  🙂 j'adore le cloitre et le fait d'utiliser la pierre donne tant de réalisme...Moi-meme  je suis sur un projet du moyen-age ..la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris..j'ai fait aussi un vitrail..Notre-Dame de la belle verrière...dont voici quelques photos en bas...si je ferais comme toi mon projet en pierre,cela me prendrait au moins 20 ans...c'est pourquoi je la fait en bois...Ce que je trouve merveilleux aujourd'hui  c'est le fait d'avoir accès a plusieurs matériaux différents , des outils aussi  comme proxxon ,   dremel sans oublier le banc de scie de jim byrnes qui est d'une remarquable qualité. Tout  le monde ont leurs projet....avions,navire  etc...mais quelqu'un qui fait un projet comme le tient ,c'est rare et c'a prend beaucoup de temps et de patience...Ce que j'aime de ce site a part you tube,c'est d'avoir acces  a beaucoup d'informations sur des techniques différentes ...c'est très rare sur internet. Les gens sur ce site s'entraide beaucoup et sont très respectueux.......................J'espère voir d'autres projet de ta part et bonne continuation...........Pierre  ton petit cousin du Québec😁.

Congratulations Ekis!
Ah ...finally someone who likes the medium-age 🙂 I love the cloister and the fact that I use stone gives so much realism... I'm working on a medieval project myself... the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral... I've also made a stained glass window... Notre-Dame de la belle verrière... here are some photos below... if I did my project in stone like you did, it would take me at least 20 years... that's why I make it in wood... What I find marvellous today, it is the fact of having access to several different materials, tools also like proxxon, dremel without forgetting the saw bench of jim byrnes which is of a remarkable quality. Everybody has his own project... planes, ships etc... but someone who makes a project like yours, it's rare and it takes a lot of time and patience... What I like about this site, apart from Youtube, is to have access to a lot of information about different techniques... it's very rare on the internet. The people on this site help each other a lot and are very respectful... I hope to see other projects from you and good continuation... Pierre, your little cousin of Québec😁

Merci Pierre !
J'ai également regardé avec attention ton chantier : tu t'es lancé dans un projet totalement fou... Mais que tu as l'air de vraiment maîtriser.
Je vais suivre assidûment la suite et la construction.
Notre Dame mérite vraiment qu'on y fasse attention. J'ai vu l'incendie, et j'ai malheureusement été spectateur des dégâts... Redonnes lui sa splendeur, même en bois et en plus petit !

Et tu as raison, ce forum contient absolument tout ce que j'aime aussi : les talents, les cultures différentes, des projets incroyable et une créativité sans limite !

Thanks Pierre! 😊
I also watched your construction site carefully: you've embarked on a totally crazy project... But you seem to have really mastered it.
I'm going to follow the continuation and the construction assiduously.
Notre Dame really deserves our attention. I saw the fire, and unfortunately I witnessed the damage... Give it back its splendor, even if it's made of wood and smaller!

And you're right, this forum contains absolutely everything I like too: talents, different cultures, incredible projects and boundless creativity!

Bonjour à la Belle Province ! 😁

Gentlemen,

If you wish to use French, please include a translation into English (use Google Translate if you like).  MSW is an English language site.

Thanks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/15/2020 at 5:49 PM, Ekis said:

Thanx ! 😁

The final version of this part. On the left, will come the door of the village...In the meantime, some pictures :  😎

p5150012.jpg

p5150011.jpg

p5150010.jpg

p5150015.jpg

p5150014.jpg

p5150013.jpg

p5150016.jpg

p5150017.jpg

p5150018.jpg

p5150021.jpg

p5150019.jpg

p5150020.jpg

p5150022.jpg

Hello

I admire your work from the beginning when I came to this forum. I have been looking for this model for a long time. I have only 30 numbers myself, so my construction will probably end at the monastery. I would like to ask what are you doing greenish aging of buildings? Is this some kind of paint?

All the Best!

Mateusz

I went for the front door. The first elements are being put in place, the whole is a personal assembly, nothing more like what the kit had planned.

And to remain consistent with this fortified bastide (and not a castle!), doors will close the enclosure instead of a drawbridge. 😏

p5170010.jpg

p5170012.jpg

p5170011.jpg

p5170013.jpg

p5170014.jpg

16 hours ago, Mateusz said:

Hello

I admire your work from the beginning when I came to this forum. I have been looking for this model for a long time. I have only 30 numbers myself, so my construction will probably end at the monastery. I would like to ask what are you doing greenish aging of buildings? Is this some kind of paint?

All the Best!

Mateusz

Sorry Mateusz (and thx for your reply ;) ), I missed your post and therefore to answer you...
To age the buildings, I already use a diluted wash from AK Interactive that I usually use to age the boats (Wash for Wood), then I mix it with the Slimy Grime Dark from AK.
For the moment, that's all, but when I'll go to the pedestal mounting, I'll redo the whole thing with these products, plus the vegetation between the stones, and surely some very very diluted India ink for the darkest places...

you latest section is a work of art........I love the integration of wood and metal!  gaps in the boards.........peep holes in the ramparts.....adds so much to your hamlet :)   I do have a question about the main gate.......are you allowing enough of an opening for carriages or carts to pass through?   or...is there a separate storehouse outside the perimeter that supplies the hamlet?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye! 😊

The fortifications of a bastide of that time were all made for the same things: to prevent hordes of horsemen, war machines, and the invasion of a large troop that would invade the interior... it was necessary above all to protect oneself with the means available.
So, we built high enough and with different defenses to slow down or even prevent access.
We had to be able to close quickly with not too huge doors, an effective portcullis to stop intruders...
The men of the village serving as a garrison against danger.

In addition, the door was the right size for the entry of goods on an ox or horse cart to go to the market place or to store in the attics.
When this village is more advanced, I have carts to put in place (I will build other things if I can).

It also allowed to control, to check, but also to tax one by one everything that could enter.
The herds did not enter these villages, except for the markets. Here again, a narrow gate made it possible to count and manage animals.

thanks for the explanation........you are the grounds keeper  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Some views of the progress of this door. Quite a lot of work to anticipate the construction. No plan, everything in the head, you have to be a little careful so that everything is well in place at the end... 😁

p5220010.jpg

p5220012.jpg

p5220011.jpg

p5220013.jpg

p5220014.jpg

Just catching up Ekis and I see you have been busy.  Your village is coming along great.  This is such a fun build to follow. Thanks for sharing your progress with us. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

You are going to start your own guild hall correct? collect apprentices and train them, right?

A master mason you be, I tell you.....

Beautiful work my friend...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you all ! I love to read your reactions and all these comments !

I will soon be able to show you the village gate with the stone base that is going well (except the towers that still take a lot of time...).

For the town fool (in French, we say the "village idiot"), I don't have a name yet, but the craziest one for the moment is me for having launched into such a project ! 😜

As we say here... "so many idiots, so few villages".   I also qualify for the job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

As we say here... "so many idiots, so few villages".   I also qualify for the job.

And as we say here...”that person is depriving some village of its idiot”.....

Well, you can try and at least be a useful idiot.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

well ........ if your going to argue .........

you couldn't be the idiot Elkis........to assemble something like this takes brains.   you've done a spectacular job here :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: