1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

lmagna

Possibly a little more dark and depressing than I like to remember in the selected memories still in my head after all these years, but also possibly truer than those same memories I choose to occasionally view. I think you of all people know what I mean Mark. I think the saying goes something like "They were very good times and very bad times, but together they were our times."

I really need to get back to this build. There is so much more that needs done to show a little of the story of 50 years ago.

Thanks for the link and thinking of me to share it with.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Guts ball, Mark. I salute all you guys, serving in the close support roles. As some wise one said, all gave some and some gave all. 👍👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Possibly a little more dark and depressing than I like to remember in the selected memories still in my head after all these years, but also possibly truer than those same memories I choose to occasionally view. I think you of all people know what I mean Mark. I think the saying goes something like "They were very good times and very bad times, but together they were our times."

I really need to get back to this build. There is so much more that needs done to show a little of the story of 50 years ago.

Thanks for the link and thinking of me to share it with.

I think your saying about about "good times" and "bad times" pretty much sums it up, Lou.  Our memories are selective, that's for sure.    The only difference between what we did was I was in a bigger target and our idea of a hot zone was a little less fire coming at us

.  Reminds what someone once said: "When the nightmares go away, you've done a lot of healing."   They still sometimes come back though.  I went through a bout of them doing my CH-53 build.  

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

Guts ball, Mark. I salute all you guys, serving in the close support roles. As some wise one said, all gave some and some gave all. 👍👍

I agree 100% Ken.  I view the guys on the ground to have been the heros though.  But maybe that's just perspective.  And yes, most of our brothers gave some.  Too many gave all.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think we really work at burying the bad times in our subconscious, because they were that bad. I don't talk about them with most folks, they weren't there. The old concept of seeing the elephant.

The good times get retold and we keep them much fresher. My Dad had a bunch of tales that I can remember; most were funny, goofy GI stuff. There were a few that he and I discussed, after I came back from Viet Nam and before I went to Germany in '73. They were new for me. Enough moroseness (is that a word?).

Hope you're feeling better Lou.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

3 hours ago, Canute said:

I think we really work at burying the bad times in our subconscious, because they were that bad. I don't talk about them with most folks, they weren't there. The old concept of seeing the elephant.

This is a concept that many don't understand.... I'm dealing with some of this today with the race riots and beatings, burnings and bashings..... Like getting shot with a shotgun because of who I was walking down the street with, ducking a 2x4 swung from the back of a passing truck, being called a N*****-lover..... Drinking from a water fountain marked "Black Only" and getting the crap beat outta me for it....

Then being told a few months ago to go to the back of the crowd cause they wanted to put a black face on their march.........

I had a chance to talk with my father about it back before he passed, and he was proud of me and He brought up "seeing the elephant", something he just started talking about.... there was no explanation needed he seemed to know exactly what I needed to hear. That is when I saw him as more than just an obstinate old man, I think that is when he saw me as more than just a punk kid.... There was a respect and understanding afterwards that just wasn't there before... it didn't need to be said, it just was....

I wasn't in the Army, I didn't go to Vietnam, but what I seen and experienced here in the good old USA could of sure passed for it....

Mucho respect for those who served abroad, in the service and at home.....

It was one hell of a time.....

Recent events have brought a lot of those memories back.... I sure hope we don't have to go through it again....

Would love to see more on the Huey Lou, if you feel up to it....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

28 minutes ago, Egilman said:

This is a concept that many don't understand.... I'm dealing with some of this today with the race riots and beatings, burnings and bashings..... Like getting shot with a shotgun because of who I was walking down the street with, ducking a 2x4 swung from the back of a passing truck, being called a N*****-lover..... Drinking from a water fountain marked "Black Only" and getting the crap beat outta me for it....

Then being told a few months ago to go to the back of the crowd cause they wanted to put a black face on their march.........

I had a chance to talk with my father about it back before he passed, and he was proud of me and He brought up "seeing the elephant", something he just started talking about.... there was no explanation needed he seemed to know exactly what I needed to hear. That is when I saw him as more than just an obstinate old man, I think that is when he saw me as more than just a punk kid.... There was a respect and understanding afterwards that just wasn't there before... it didn't need to be said, it just was....

I wasn't in the Army, I didn't go to Vietnam, but what I seen and experienced here in the good old USA could of sure passed for it....

Mucho respect for those who served abroad, in the service and at home.....

It was one hell of a time.....

Recent events have brought a lot of those memories back.... I sure hope we don't have to go through it again....

Would love to see more on the Huey Lou, if you feel up to it....

Respect and understanding  to you EG  for talking about that, and also  warm wishes to our brothers  Lou, Mark and Ken   and all the others who experience things No human should have to  - one thing  fot sure  here we have a gentle understanding  place of understanding and friendship. 🤜🤝🤛

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I agree with both Mark and Ken. We mostly try to remember the "good" times and not so much the not so good. I think I was younger than most of you and it was also my coming of age time and did much to form what I would be for the rest of my life.

I also agree that I felt the ground pounders were the really brave guys out there. They would go out for sometimes a week at a time looking at who knows what at any given moment. I also feel that the troops today are even more astounding. They have gone back on tour after tour in some cases to face it all again year after year. THAT has to be rough!

Not certain what you have experienced EG but I am certain that in some ways all of us have our own stories that bring us into uncomfortable memories. All of our lives are after all individual experiences and we react accordingly.

I need a little more healing before I can sit at modeling for any length, plus I need to get thigs set up again a little, (That's what happens when you use the end of the dining table as a work shop and leave it unattended for a while). But with some work i am getting a little better, slower than I thought I would, but better none the less. Not everything is quite the struggle it was even a week ago. I was even able to figure out how to put both of my socks on by myself this morning!:36: 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I agree with both Mark and Ken. We mostly try to remember the "good" times and not so much the not so good. I think I was younger than most of you and it was also my coming of age time and did much to form what I would be for the rest of my life.

I also agree that I felt the ground pounders were the really brave guys out there. They would go out for sometimes a week at a time looking at who knows what at any given moment. I also feel that the troops today are even more astounding. They have gone back on tour after tour in some cases to face it all again year after year. THAT has to be rough!

Not certain what you have experienced EG but I am certain that in some ways all of us have our own stories that bring us into uncomfortable memories. All of our lives are after all individual experiences and we react accordingly.

I need a little more healing before I can sit at modeling for any length, plus I need to get thigs set up again a little, (That's what happens when you use the end of the dining table as a work shop and leave it unattended for a while). But with some work i am getting a little better, slower than I thought I would, but better none the less. Not everything is quite the struggle it was even a week ago. I was even able to figure out how to put both of my socks on by myself this morning!:36: 

Oh, while you guys were marching and flying all over SEA fighting the good fight, I was doing it all over SE Missippi, 'bama and Gaw'Ga as they pronounce it there...... A long haired freaky person that didn't know his place... (or that his race or anyone else's made a difference) Fighting abject irrational hatred is a war that never ends given the things that are espoused today...... But nothing like the fight you guys went thru....

I'm very happy that your recovering brother, when we get to our age there always seems to be things we need to recover from.... and then get the motivation to pick up where we left off.......

Real life is waning for me right now as well getting my space reorganized also, but it's tough, this place and you guys have/has been an inspiration to keep pushing forward.....

Wishing your recovery comes sooner rather than later my friend, you are missed....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, lmagna said:

if you liked We Were Soldiers, and Das Boot then you will like this movie as well. It is REALLY good! It is an emotional movie and if you are like me it WILL affect you in places,

Speaking of emotional war movies, I just saw American Sniper, a Clint Eastwood film staring Bradley Cooper.  Clint has starred in or directed quite a few other good war movies like Heartbreak Ridge, Flags Of Our Fathers, and Letters From Iwo Jima in which he explores the combat of course, but also the effects on the participants themselves.  But if you need a good laugh there is also Every Which Way But Loose and its followup Any Which Way You Can where he plays second banana to an Olymia beer-guzzling orangatan named Clyde. 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Like I said EG we all had our own path that we needed to follow and that path affected us pretty much forever to one degree or another. 

I am doing OK in my recovery from more resent events and as the struggle to overcome some of the limits imposed diminishes with time and exercise then so to will the ability and desire to get back to more stimulating pastimes like models and such. In the meantime I am trying to get my daily fix vicariously through the efforts of those here on the forum. Thanks for thinking of me though. I guess I am doing OK as my wife went away for a few days to spend with one of her girlfriends, leaving me alone to take care of the kids house, and pets! So instead of feeling she needs to be here every second to take care of me she is back to finding every excuse possible to get away from me! That should be a good sign I suppose.

I agree with you on the "Any Which Way" movies Dave. I enjoyed them both. I have been a longtime fan of Clint Eastwood with possibly one exception. Almost all of his Dirty Harry movies came out in the years when I was an active police officer with the exception of the original Dirty Harry. I enjoyed that movie but could not watch the others until after I retired and had space enough between the real world and Hollywood to enjoy the rest of the movies. That was possibly with the exception of the last one, Dead Pool. I don't think I liked that one much at all even today. It had Sandra Locke in it as well.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

EG,

I daresay that we all have our traumas and everyone's may appear the same, the reality is, they are all different and everyone's response is different at least internally.  And like Ken said, we suppress the horrible and what floats to the top is the good ones.

Now that we're older (many of us), sometimes memories seem to me to be different, almost dreamlike.  Maybe it's perspective, maybe it's age.  

Enough philosophy from me.    Models to build, life to live.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yeah, you guys, go make sawdust or resin dust or plastic dust. No sniffing glue though. We've killed too many brain cells already. :P

I think those of us who went thru that particular wringer (combat, civil rights activity) have some variation of PTSD. Luckily, those of us here have this modeling "gene" to allow us to create miniature things to relieve stress.

Ken

1 minute ago, Canute said:

allow us to create miniature things to relieve stress.

Or make even more stress, depending on the model!:ph34r:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, Canute said:

Yeah, you guys, go make sawdust or resin dust or plastic dust. No sniffing glue though. We've killed too many brain cells already. :P

I think those of us who went thru that particular wringer (combat, civil rights activity) have some variation of PTSD. Luckily, those of us here have this modeling "gene" to allow us to create miniature things to relieve stress.

Dont worry  - I have 800 jokes and gags  I can throw at you guys..............:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Or make even more stress, depending on the model!:ph34r:

I think we should all start with the same kit  - must build it blidfolded  (no cheating)  have a  couple of days to build  then compare  - the worst one wins a prize  (a goody bag of popcorn)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, Canute said:

Would using day-glo paints count?

Nah  we need to pinch our admirals nail  paints  (but even that has to be done carefuly)   and put back before they notice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

must build it blidfolded

How would you know? Most of my builds look like I built them blindfolded already! :(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

How would you know? Most of my builds look like I built them blindfolded already! :(

Not falling for that one Lou.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Methinks you may be being a bit hard on yourself Lou :P

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

18 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Methinks you may be being a bit hard on yourself

If anything it may be more like complimentary!  So much of the work you guys do here on this forum both in wood and plastic can be a bit humbling to us more mortal beings like me.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

just be like me Lou and thing of yourself as a contemporary  ;)   ........in an abstract way,  of course  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lou,

<obe wan voice on> Your fear is controlling you.  <obe wan voice off>   Seriously.  You shouldn't be intimidated as we're all modelers and at all levels.  Just do what you think is best and if you have questions.. you know the drill... ask.  We're a band of brothers, my friend.  Nothing to fear but fear itself.  <where have I heard that last bit before?>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No problem Mark. My skill level is what it is and I make no excuses for it. Of MUCH more importance is what seems to be my inability to get motivated lately. All of the other stuff seems to just take up so much time and effort that I have little interest in doing more, even stuff outside of modeling.

Then there is stuff like one of the things that needs doing is to return my modeling chair into the corner where I have my modeling stuff. I carried it out after my hip surgery as a possible alternative to sitting in my recliner for at least part of the day. It didn't work out all that well, as even after a half an hour or so I would be in pain again and have to go back to the recliner. Even getting from one chair to another was a struggle at that point in my recovery! Then I went and had all of the implant stuff and now I am not supposed to lift over 10 pounds and not allowed to raise my left arm over my head or into several other positions for a month! In order to get the chair back to where it belongs I would need to lift it high enough to clear other stuff to get into the corner and would exceed both the movement and weight restrictions. The alternative is to try and get one of my older kids to come by and do it for me. Harder than it sounds.

Well enough of the BooHoo stuff. I think I have made enough excuses for one day and will get my area set up enough for some modeling even if it is for short periods at a time. I have several things I could do but the one that makes the most sense is to continue with the Huey. There is still a lot to do but at the same time there is a lot that has already been done.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Not falling for that one Lou.

OC.

Me either....

8 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Methinks you may be being a bit hard on yourself Lou :P

Yeah we do get this way from time to time......

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

just be like me Lou and thing of yourself as a contemporary  ;)   ........in an abstract way,  of course  ;) 

WE are all in this boat together, that makes us contemporary.....

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Lou,

<obe wan voice on> Your fear is controlling you.  <obe wan voice off>   Seriously.  You shouldn't be intimidated as we're all modelers and at all levels.  Just do what you think is best and if you have questions.. you know the drill... ask.  We're a band of brothers, my friend.  Nothing to fear but fear itself.  <where have I heard that last bit before?>

I think this sometimes myself looking at what is produced here and there, but we are family..... and all we can do is the best we can.... so we build to our satisfaction, what works for me might not work for someone else but then I only have to satisfy myself...... If my work pleases others then that is a bonus.... The journey is what is most important and having friends along makes it even more enjoyable..... Then we all get to learn new things....

Modeling is a learning and doing process, kinda like what our whole lives have been..... Skill levels don't matter.... So whatever is done is a piece of us and here, amongst friends, is sincerely appreciated.....

Anything you do Lou is appreciated cause it is a piece of you that you so graciously offer us..... We would be at a loss without it....

We are all family....

Quote:

5 hours ago, Egilman said:

Skill levels don't matter....

This is so true.  In the past I've created things that I was proud of, as well as things I felt were complete rubbish.  The funny thing is that (for me), oftentimes when I would build, I used to wonder what some future viewer would think of my work, when there was a very high probability that there never would be a future viewer. The piece would eventually be lost, broken, discarded, etc.    

Someone on this forum once mentioned that we should really only build for ourselves; I wholeheartedly believe this, and if I make something that I'm proud of, I enjoy it myself, and don't think very much anymore about what someone else might think of it because I will in all likelihood be the only viewer. This also makes the build process much more enjoyable; although this mindset makes me feel a bit selfish, as I'm putting forth time and effort into something that is for me alone.  It's an interesting dynamic. 

Thanks for your service guys.  It's incredibly appreciated and inspiring.

Alan

Edited by knightyo
Posted too early in the morning and half of my post didn't make sense....

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

We are all family....

True, true brother 😉

1 hour ago, knightyo said:

This is so true.  In the past I've created things that I was proud of, as well as things I felt were complete rubbish.  The funny thing is that (for me), oftentimes when I'm building, I wonder what some future viewer will think of my work, when there is a very high probability that there never will be a future viewer. The piece will eventually be lost, broken, discarded, etc.    

Someone on this forum once mentioned that we should really only build for ourselves; I wholeheartedly believe this, and if I make something that I'm proud of, I enjoy it myself, and don't think very much anymore about what someone else might think of it because I will in all likelihood be the only viewer. This also makes the build process much more enjoyable; although this mindset makes me feel a bit selfish, as I'm putting forth time and effort into something that is for me alone.  It's an interesting dynamic. 

Thanks for your service guys.  It's incredibly appreciated and inspiring.

Alan

I agree wholeheartedly,  I build for the change of pace from real life also if it wasn't for you guys here nobody else would be at all interested in my efforts as my family think I'm crazy to spend time on "toy boats"!!🤪

They're only tolerated as it keeps me out the way;)

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Build to suit yourself, but don't have it consume you. Your best is your current best. Resolve to do it better next time. Don't worry about speed. For our art, nice is better than fast. Yeah, I still get razzed for playing with "electric trains". It's water off the duck's back. We all get this malaise from time to time. This too will pass, said somebody famous once. ;)

Ken

All this about "Toy boats" brings to mind some funny points back when I had to work for a living. Ever wonder what cops do when they are not out on the streets working? When I worked night shifts many of the officers would show up at briefing and while waiting for it to start would begin discussing the latest happenings on the current TV soap dramas! When your hours are all backwards and the only TV content is the afternoon dramas that are intended for the average housewife then that is what you watch. The same for swing shift that I worked all of the years I was on K-9. You get home about midnight after all the rest of the family is in bed and all there is to do is turn on all of the late night B movies from the 50s!

But the best of all was once a week four of us would meet up at one of the officers house in the morning that we all had common time off and play a few hours of Avalon Hill board games. Mostly Wooden Ships and Iron Men. This went on for years with the day of the week changing occasionally when shifts changed and such. Just imagine four grown men sitting around a board on the table yelling at each other when they had just received a stern rake from a range of two from your 64 gun Ship Of The Line! Sometimes it REALLY got wild when there would be as many as 20 or 24 ships in lines of battle on the board at once!

Not really related to the "Men and their toy boats" above but still kind of the same idea. Later in life I really did get into toy boats in the form of RC! Did that for years and years as well.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I guess it's because we never grow up as the women in our lives tell us..... often🤭

Current builds;

Completed: