HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Yeah, your right.  It's colder up here but it's a 'dry cold'.  Always feels like 75 F.  Hahahahahahahaha

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Andy,  I was folowing your log when the disaster occured, very glad to see it up and running again as it is helping me to get started on my own Pegasus,

As a newby I have found members logs very informative, I note your waist guns are fully rigged ? 2mm blocks ? tried working with these little blighters & found it very difficult not to split them with my finger nails slpping into the grooves. any tips? apart from cut nails?

Regards Frank

Trying to think back a couple months.... I basically had the overhand knot of the strop tied before I slipped it over the block. If you're having problems, tweezers and alligator clips are your best friends. See if you can locate a set of mounted alligator clips. They come in a set of at least two mounted to a pedestal, some even come with a built on magnifying glass.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Safe travels Andy. I look forward to seeing completion of Pegasus on your return.

Andy-  are you able to keep in touch while you're out?  Place just isn't the same without you.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm still keeping in touch.. been in Thunder Bay since yesterday noon (EDT). I'm relegated to working on 1:1 ships for the time being. I'll try and restart my old "Andy's Maritime Adventures" Thread from MSW 1.0 (with photos, of course)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Happy to hear that.

Have some heavy weather building through the mid US right now.  Looks like Spring is taking the slow boat in.  Hope you don't get hit up there.

Take care!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Andy,

You can handle the heavy weather?

Not seasick or something like that?

At the end of your post there are some coordinations…..is that where you are at the moment?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Me? Seasick? If I was I wouldn't be in this profession... 

Which co-ordinates are you talking about? In my Signature? the MIL TF D41*?

It Means "Make It Like The F***ing Diagram For Once" :D

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I always wondered what that was in youre signature........so cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I found out about a week ago that there where no 0.5 mm black thread supplied with my kit. No wonder I had a hard time labeling the different thicknesses(is that a word?)

Amati sent me 2 spools right away so now all the other spools makes much more sense.

Bummer!

Whoof..... hack... cough... :wacko:  thanks for cleaning the dust off my build log, but you really didn't have to ;)

I don't think I have that issue, I'm pretty certain I have the 0.5mm (atleast that's what I used for the hammock crane top lines).

I went over to www.agesofsail.com and bought a few spools to top up some other lines that appeared to be short. At least I know what sizes I ordered, so there's no confusion

Weird... with every kit it seems like a mystery what line is inculded or omited. Someone over at Amati better check in on the thread department. Of course it would help if they actually labelled their line. :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy,

If you not at home, stay away from your build log!!

This is not allowed.

Stay with your journey log.

You are confusing people and at there age it's not good :-)

Sjors

I suppose it makes a difference what extra work your putting into your build.   if it requires rigging,  your going to use thread that the kit doesn't supply.   that also goes for anything else in the kit.  embellishing on any aspect of the ship takes away from what the manufacturer intended.......parts might not fit as well,  or might not even be required.  it's all a matter of taste........I don't know.......I guess I'm one of those folks that can't seem to stick with an  'out of the box'  build.  :)

(just thought I'd blow a bit more dust off for you Andy}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Andy, checking in since I was in the neighborhood, the other thread of build logs. The last photographs look great, As I was perusing the image it occurred to me that I am not the only one who gets so wrapped up in the task at hand the the space on the dockyard gets smaller and smaller until there is no room to move. Then one makes a resolution to be better organized and......... well you know the rest of the story.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to assume the blue colour?

Trueline Trains BC Rail Blue

I know that probably doesn't mean anything to you, but it's a special colour mix done by Testors/Polyscale for a Canadian model train maker. I don't think you can get it overseas, but tou may be able to order direct from them http://www.truelinetrains.ca/paint-accessories/paints

As for the copper... I first marked the waterline,masked and painted the grey to it. There's no paint underneath, I just glued directly to the wood and right up to the waterline. It probably sounds scary, but very careful marking and cutting and I managed to get the plates to run cleanly along the very edge of the paint.

I found the best way for cutting plates was to first mark the start and end point of the cut with a couple of small ticks with a sharp #11 blade. Then put the plate flat on the cutting matt. With a stainless steel ruler, and a craft knife (you need a heavier blade than an exacto here), scribe a line between the 2 tick marks, run the knife only 2 or 3 times. The take some smooth jawed long nose pliers, line the plate up along the score line, holding the side you want to keep, and bend the plate along the score mark, it should just pop cleanly along the score line. The only thing I found, with longer sharper plates it helped to score right through at the point for about 5mm.

That's probably more than you needed to know... but you got me on the subject.. ;)

BTW.. for those interested.. I've not left yet.. but will be in a couple of hours.. home soon...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Not to worry.... I made it home safely ;)

Everything was just as I left it.... No signs of wabbits or popcorn....whew :P

A laundry list of things to do....building shall resume soon

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

well......it's about time you got home.........I've already drank a six-pack waiting for you!   so.......now to celebrate!.....another six-pack!  BURP!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: