HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Hi Andy,

Following on with the hand drill lathe mate here is a pic of one from the old MSW, I cant remember who posted it, hope they dont mind. I keep meaning to build it myself but just hav'nt gotten round to it yet.

I would make just one small modifiation which is to place a roller bearing to hold the dowel end, we dont want any fires do we. ^_^

I hope you dont mind me posting this to you but I thought it might help.

Have a great stay in the wild's mate and come back all refreshed and eager to get stuck in again. :cheers:

mobbsie

post-493-0-80838800-1367747495_thumb.jpg

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

take some time for your self.....you've been couped up on that ship........only to come home to find peg dripping at the bow for your touch.

Yepper!   get in some  'you'  time! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Haha.. Thanks Popeye ;)

The lake was still a bit on the "absolutely f****** frigid" side of things.... and due to some serious water miss-management on the Gull River system... 5 feet higher than normal... The back of our property is normally a fern swamp... this year it's what you may call "navigable" ...

Add to the fact that the prevailing winds and currents bring anything adrift in the lake our direction... Between us and the neighbours... We've got quite the collection of flotsam... Oh what fun...

Of course now that they've got everything opened up to allow the excess water upstream down, we're all hoping they don't forget and drain the lake altogether... Time will tell...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Back to model ship building...

First up... For Michael, a nice photo of the beast sitting in the shed (Never mind the golf cart in behind ;) )

As you can see.. it's missing more than a few parts..... and it's really more designed for heavy wood turning like furniture parts etc.

Started work on the main topmast today.. got about as far as you see in the photo... then the postman showed up and work was suspended... hopefully what showed up at the door will help in the long run.... :)

Andy

post-34-0-72539600-1367861010_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-18335000-1367861026_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-10113500-1367861029_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

That lathe is brilliant the headstock and tailstock have been made from a couple of engine pistons so it is homemade and would not take much to get it into a usable condition by the looks of it. a bit of a clean up and a motor A 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill chuck and you coul;d be in business soon enough.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm glad you see some potential in that thing... ;) There are rumours the missing pieces are somewhere in a box... Although given my recent experiences and Danny's advice... I'm going to stay away from drill chucks... :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

He my friend,

You are home again?

Hope you enjoy the stay with your friends…..

Question….you make that lathe by your self?

And the postman brings you a book….

Why can I not found those things over here.

Yesterday I have been one hour in a bookstore and I found really nothing!

Yeah, ships from this time but not the ships that we are looking for.

But I keep searching…..otherwise when you are away I bring your house a visit  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Who ever made that lathe... Made it a very long time ago... It belonged to my Grandfather.

And for the next few weeks, as long as the weather remains pleasant, I will be back and forth from the cottage with a fair degree of regularity.

As for the book, ordered it online two weeks ago... I can't find books like that in local bookstores around here either...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

If that can cheer you up about the weather: in Rome, rain all the week...

Congrat's on your new book: it's a treat! And nice job on the masts so far! I am a hand tools worshiper myself but... boys will be boys as they say! :D Enjoy your lathe learning ('carefull to!)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi Adeline, just missed you ;)

I'm going to end up finishing this build by hand.

Sorry to hear about the rain... But at least it's not snow :rolleyes:

From just a quick skim through the book, there is a lot of good info that will supplement the kit diagrams nicely. Just what I needed, I hope :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Now Ive seen everything. I think the piston lathe trumps my motorcraft 1 bbl carb lamp, hands down. What an ingenious Idea for a lathe bearing surface/support, 2 pistons. I may have a few laying around here some where also,....Hum....

And I still have 2 half HP motors I salvaged from old vacuum pumps in the lab.

Volume 4? Does that mean that you have the previous 3 volumes? David is around here somewhere; bet you could get him to sign it! Also, this book is focusing on what you call "the dark side" (I'd call it freedom!); does that mean that you're getting closer to the edge?

Tom

Actually I don't have the other volumes. I have built other wooden ship models in the past (don't ask), but never a full rigged ship. The more I looked at the "instructions", the more my eyes got crossed... And then I saw Gil's Victory... And my head started spinning a bit... So I thought that for the rigging I needed a little bit more help... And the rest is history...

I may yet go back and buy the other volumes, just to have as a reference.. You never know.... ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

Congrats on the TFFM book.  It's a beauty and has been a real help to me with my Vic, even though it's written around a much smaller ship.  The other volumes are well worth having as general reference books too.  Well written, well illustrated, and relatively easy to follow.

Just a quick update... Will have photos tomorrow... Got the mizzen top mast cut and shaped, just needs to be tapered. I've also decided, that for a change of pace, I'm going to finish up the detail work on the lower masts so I can start a bit of rigging. As much fun as making sawdust is, I need a bit of a breather...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Can't help on rigging......spiders all 'tied up'.  Check with you-know-who and his gnomes.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

This is starting to sound like Thelma and Louise, or would Salingers lemmings be a more appropriate analogy.

We'll show that cliff whose boss, game face time  :angry:

BTW, aren't lemmings rodents. what is it with Andy and rodents... first groundhound/woodchucks, then the Somerset Wabbit Webellion.....hum :huh:

lol - leave the Somerset wabbits out of it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin, please ensure your wabbits are in a safe location, I don't want any harm to come to them... I'm going to hire an exterminator... There are too many vermin (marginally, the 4 legged variety) running around here... I think it is due to Sjors leaving the popcorn machine running unattended...

:P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I knew it.............popcorn is evil :o ............children of the corn!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Can't help on rigging......spiders all 'tied up'.  Check with you-know-who and his gnomes.

Hey Augie, how do you tie up a spider ? :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

So the promised photos. ;)

The fore top painted. Made the bands around the mast out of some stripwood I had lying about.

The the mizzen top mast, shaped, but not yet tapered. And finally the main top mast all ready to go.

It was nice to break out the paint again and get some colour on things.

Still got a lot of tedious detail work to go on the other two masts and on the bowsprit.

Can anyone who's built this kit tell me what the six blocks under the fore and main tops are for and on which spreader arm they go? I want to at least get the eyebolts in place before the rigging starts... and the plans don't really make it clear what they are for and where exactly they go... (And I don't want to find out the hard way)

:huh:

Andy

post-34-0-33331100-1368025558_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-35069700-1368025560_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-18832200-1368025562_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy