HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Well Andy it depends in part whether you want to follow the kit plans No 7 and 8, or Sections 15.37 or 15.39 in your newly acquired Volume IV.

In terms of the kit plans for the Fore Top there are three block each side of the top both fore and aft to take the Spritsail Topsail braces, and bunt and leechlines. It looks to me that they intend the inner double block to take both the Spritsail and Spritsail topsail braces, the outer single block to take the leechlines, and the middle block to take the bunt lines.

On the Main top they are showing only two blocks beneath the top each side on the forward crosstree only. These appear to be for the Bunt and leechlines which are then carried directly to the deck without passing through a set of aft blocks.

I'll leave you to read the sections in Volume IV and decide which way you want to go.

B.E.

Now you've got me scaning along through the book as well :P

I think I'm starting to figure out what you're saying.. (Stop me if I'm wrong) if I follow the kit, using eyebolts hanging from the cross trees... The fore top has 12(?) underneath.. The 6 forward blocks for the sprit sail, and the 6 aft ones for the fore course.

The main top only has 6 on the aft cross tree for the main course...

I hope that sounds correct-ish..

Thanks for your help.. (If I haven't said so already)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Not quite Andy, all the lines pass thro' the blocks attached to the forward crosstrees on the Fore Top then thro' the equivalent blocks attached to the aft crosstrees, then down to the deck.

The Main top has only four beneath the top (two each side) attached to the forward crosstrees only, the lines pass thro' the blocks and then directly to the deck.

Well that's how  Chris Watton sees it.

B.E.

good to see your back at it Andy.....your masting looks very good :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy,

Looking good.  :)

Gonna be interesting to see what you do with the leeches and bunts..... :huh:

I understand that if you put salt on the leeches they will fall off, so be careful.... :P

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Andy,

Just to throw in my 2c, it seems a shame to have a resource like TFFM and not follow that advice - it is more likely to be accurate IMHO.

Thanks everyone :)

Grant, I know where you're coming from, I still haven't made any final decisions yet. From the sounds of things, most of those blocks will end up being vacant anyway (since I don't plan on adding sails)... I dunno I've got convincing arguments for both cases running around in my head.... It could go either way.. :rolleyes:

More updates of yesterday's progress coming soon....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Since Sjors is away for vaca....I will take over in his stead. WHERE ARE THE PICS? I WANNA SEE SOME PICS!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

OK, ok!... Don't get all bent out of shape... :P  ;)

I've got the battens done on the main top, next step will be to do the bands and cleats, then the main mast will get painted up.

Foremast all painted and the wooldings put on, I had to joggle the spacing a little bit, but it's not really noticeable unless you attack the thing with a ruler.

Also got the bowsprit all cleated and painted up, and yes according to the plans, those cleats are supposed to look like that.

And just for good measure, a couple of overall shots.... nevermind the mess on the workbench... the paint revolution has not yet come... :P

Now... is that better? :huh:

Andy

post-34-0-28746400-1368115606_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-21793400-1368115621_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-82115600-1368115634_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-11897400-1368115650_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-90322100-1368115653_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Ooohhh....aahhhh....VERY nice work, Andy!  Since you posted all of these today, what do you have left to post for pictures tomorrow?

"You Know Who" (and his evil twin "You Know Her") are gonna keep asking for more, you know...

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wow.....Pegasus is FLYING.

Nice work Andy.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Oh Dear,

i'm not gone yet and the moderator (You know her ) is do an hostile take over!

Can she not wait till I'm really gone??????

I was thinking a little about tomorrow….

Me, standing on the bridge….sailing into the sunset…to see that good old England, land of wind and rain.

I look back and see the port of Rotterdam, slowly moving out of my view.

My house a little further away…with my PC with the Internet.

Thinking at that wonderful site called MSW.

Where all my friends are in tears because I'm not there to cheer them up with al those difficult things like painting, rigging and spider training.

How do they survive without me…..

And then this…yippie he is away, I can call for pictures!

Another dream in pieces!

Thank you Robbyn!!!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I am satisfied, for a day or two at most...you know women, we are never truly satisfied lol.

Looks dang nice Andy, workspace mess and all, my focus was still on Peggy...I think she will be a real beauty!

Sjors, don't panic :o , no one can take your place :D . I just didn't want Andy to think he was going to get off easy just because you are going on vacation :P

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Looking great Andy! It always amazes me how even one addition to a build can bring it more to life...let alone all these additions! :) Keep up the good work!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Nice work, Andy.  If nothing else, if you don't add the blocks, you (and the rest of us) will know they're not there.  But presumably, we can keep this secret... or not.  But no pressure, no guilt.  :)

The pics were worth the wait.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

comming along great Andy.........ohhhh,  bow spirit.......you know what that means.   yepper,  limited range of movement....do be careful,  my friend.   I see there is one more step to go on the fore and main.......they look the nine!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Andy,

Short sleeve shirts only from now mate, that pointed sticky out thing in the front is just made for catching a shirt sleeve or jumper. :huh:

She's looking absolutely great mate, your doing a superb job, hope you know who has had his fix on the pics. :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I just have to echo everyone else's comments. Great work on your 'sleeve-catchers'! She's going to be tall too!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks everyone, for the continued positive feedback. I am fully aware of the snag hazard now presented, I guess having long-ish arms helps... And the warm weather will help keep sweaters away ;)

Today work will resume on the main mast, I'll try to get most of the detail work done on it...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

No sleeves, watches,  cigarettes or cats!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I hope you build one-handed.   Watch the watch!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have to be careful with my glasses....of all things! I was up close and personal with the masts and yards, while rigging my Mayflower, and hooked my glasses. I leaned back and my glasses were dangling from one of the blocks! :o Fortunately nothing was harmed, but I now know the potential for disaster. :mellow:

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower