HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

So after a marathon sleep, a small surprise at the door..... The FedEx man had a parcel for me from Model Expo... The square stock wood that I had ordered a little over a week ago showed up...

Sweet timing right?! :D

They didn't have any 6mm walnut, so I hesitatingly ordered the 6.5mm cherry instead.....big sigh of relief... Good decision.. The colour is not too far off the lighter walnut shades... So you really can't tell at a distance. Yay! :)

I'm waiting on one more package... (I'll share what that is if it arrives :P )

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So.. as promised.. and attempt at progress... sort of...

I got right down to working those nice square cherry strips... and learned a few lessons...

The first bit went ok.. got the section I cut for the fore topmast planed down to 6mm, easy. Got the doubled section filed down to 5mm... great... things where looking up at that stage... and then... I tried to turn down the rest of the mast... There is a lathe in the shed... but it's very old... I think it may date back to the 30s.. it's belt driven.... it's missing more parts than I can count.. and I don't think it runs.. So, I thought to myself... everyone else seems to be doing it, so why can't I use an electric drill instead. B)

So, game as a pebble, propped the dril up in the bench vice, chucked my nice piece of masting in and gave it a spin... and watched as that nice piece of cherry wobbled all over the place :o  (I think the radius of the wobble at the end was something like 4 inches). Stopped the drill... (obviously..duh :rolleyes: ) Thinking I may have inadvertently inserted the mast incorrectly, readjusted everything and tried again. Much better.. got the wobble down to 1/2". I thought.. "I can work with this"... :unsure:

Then I applied sand paper.... :wacko:  :blink:

(Keep in mind that up to this point there was no damage done...)

I think a rodeo cowbow has it easier trying to get on a bull.....

Well... I think the last two photos illustrate exactly where that little experiment went... :(

As for lessons learned...

Always buy more strip than you think you need (I figure I needed about 18", I did buy over 6 feet of 6.5mm cherry)

When you plane down a piece... plane the whole piece.. or at least enough to do a couple sections...

Buy a dang lathe and do it right... or find out from someone who's done it with a drill,how they did it...

So back to square one... oh well... better luck next time... :rolleyes:

Andy

post-34-0-93518700-1367346452_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-62283600-1367346455_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-31949500-1367346458_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-40967300-1367346460_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-14049300-1367346462_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-50891600-1367346464_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi, Andy, good work! Try to remove finally traces from laser are sharp at end faces of details (while it still can be made), under a finishing covering they are usually brightly shown.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

sounds like your not off to a good start........were you trying to round the corners?  the top looks nice though ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Welcome back to the shipyard mate.

I've used the old drill to taper round sticks but never to try rounding off a square one. Might work if you flattened those edges to an octagon first?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well I've got this down to two options:

1) Do all shaping and tapering by hand (most likely)

2) Buckle and purchase a hobby lathe (and really make a mess)....

BTW, there's still a shed load of work to do on the masts and tops.. Including paintwork... No laser char shall be seen by mortal eyes when I'm done....

And Augie...I don't think in my case it matters.... As I tried to allude to before... Even before I touched my file to the dowel.... Yikes...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Darn----even a file!  I'm astonished.  But never worked with cherry.

Oh....do it by hand.  If you buy a lathe, the next thing is I'll lose you to the dark side and your thread will trun into a tool review :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Andy,

The key is to use a very slow speed and to support the other end of the piece.  You'll need to clamp the drill down to something and then work on the other end.  Actually, about 1" in from the end of the piece.  You can put a block of wood (again clamped down) for that 1" or less bit at the end to spin in. 

Otherwise, grab some sandpaper, and rotate the wood in it by hand.  Slow going but you do other things, like sip a beverage, watch a movie, yell at the dog.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back to the shipyard mate.

I've used the old drill to taper round sticks but never to try rounding off a square one.

Hi Andy,

Were you trying to put a square peg in a round hole (or triangular to be more exact)? That's why us guys with lathes have a four-jaw chuck :D .

Might work if you flattened those edges to an octagon first?

Nope Augie - still the same deal, though to a slightly lesser extent. The three jaws of the chuck still won't seat properly.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks for that point Dan.  I haven't run a lathe since high school back in the 50's.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well I've never used a lathe...period... So this is all good info for me... :)

I think I'm going to at least try to do one by hand... Although Mark's suggestion of going slower might help.. I was using a regular plug-in drill.... maybe the battery has charged up on my cordless....

Agh...I dunno... Tomorrow's another day....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sometimes a good nites' sleep makes things work better.

Good luck!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I've never tried to do anything like that either.........I just use hardwood dowel.   it's a lot easier to square off.......but it can be just as much work ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well... a modicum of progress.. this time by hand alone...

Fore Topmast #3 (#1 The original made with kist supplied bits, #2 See Above) now squared down at the top and sanded down and rounded so the cap now slides all the way down to where it is supposed to sit. Next step, I'm going to take a file and turn down the mast to the diameter required below the hounds and taper to that point from both directions... sounds like not fun and a lot of dust... if I haven't made enough already...

and I have to do this how many more times?! :huh:

post-34-0-83118800-1367418674_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-87398100-1367418676_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Those look good, Andy.  One question - and I apologize up front if it is a silly one - most mast caps I have seen in various illustrations had a square hole for the lower mast and round for the top mast.  I notice yours are both round.  Is this something that was done differently in the 1770 timeframe?

Glad to see you back at it - can only imagine the frustration (consternation?) when your drill based lath became a type of visual art!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Way to go!  When all else fails we simply will the piece into submission.   My kinda guy :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Andy,

Looks Good!  :dancetl6:

I'll bet even the pain of mast making beats the alternative.......work!..... :D

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Wayne, I don't disagree about the mast caps.. Thing is.. I was relatively ignorant on the subject and had already assembled the lowers masts when I got that part figured out... So I'm going to be happy with what I've done and leave that part of the kit as is. It really does not bother me enough to change it. ;)

Augie... It is all a test who is more stubborn and hard headed.... Me or a piece of wood... The wood may put up a fight... But I've got all the tools with sharp pointy edges....

Jim, yes it is good to be back where all the frustration is entirely self generated.... ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

That looks very nice Andy,

I have to remember myself that i have to go to this build log and not that touristic part of yours  :D

Fine job!

Keep on going and let those pictures come!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

A bad day at a hobby is nearly always preferable to a good day at work.

So how long are you home for?

Glad to see you defeated the wood, it sure can put up a fight though. Have you considered that the paint bottle revolt had spread to the drill?

Tools and Supplies Unite!

Now that'd be scary.

Nice job on the mast work.

Ok.. show the wood the fireplace.  If that doesn't work, flick a lighter while talking to them.  Maybe have a chainsaw or a beaver next to you.  Mention that you have friends who wear flannel and are lumberjacks.   That should bring the wood in line. :)

As for the drill part... take some sandpaper and round the wood so it fits in the drill chuck.  My bad for not mentioning that in my previous post on this.   It won't be perfect and won't take a lot of rpms, but should (or not) be able to spin the wood.

Ooops... almost forgot... if the wood is not submitting, mention "woodchucks".  Scares the hell out of those stubborn pieces.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

How does this happen?!?!?!

from wiki: The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as a woodchuck, whistle-pig, or in some areas as a land-beaver

Man-o-man this may just be a woodchuck (AKA groundhog) uprising. I'll bet they popped all that popcorn and set your drill to revolt. I thought I saw a truckload of groundhogs parked outside the Andy's Maritime Adventures... Season II studios but didnt think anything about it, at the time. Maybe they heard the mean things you said about their weather forcasting. They sound like they have very sensitive feelings just like the Wabbits of Somerset. 

...and after the Wabbit twoubles....This may be a full on rodent Blitzkrieg. Becareful they may be planning a squirrel flanking attack from the left. Somehow it sounds like the rodents have formed an alliance with the wood and equipment. The Rodentia Revolt of 2013 is happening and all over a miscommunication... such sad goings on, what's a real working sailor to do. I think they may have gotten the drop on you by sitting and waiting for you to get home, then BAM!  I'd watch out for other boobey-traps, I'd hate to see this get ugly.

So how much wood could a wood chuck, chuck if he could chuck wood in a drill?

Edited by themadchemist