HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Heh heh.. Grant, you can up that score a little bit.. ;)

The third battle of the fore topmaest had been effectively won... I hope... just some finishing touches to smooth out a few nicks left over from my method of hand tapering. I don't like tapering blind, so at a couple of places along the length of the mast, I filed down "reference rings" to whatever diameter was needed at that point.. I find if keeps the taper from going "pear shaped".

After that I felt I needed a change of pace and went after the bowsprit... nothing like a change of pace :rolleyes: .

Getting that end bit for the bees was a challenge... carefull marking, sanding, carving... managed to make it through with all digits intact... and a lot of dust on the bench...

Still some work to do cleaning the last bits up, but overall I'm happy...

Next ship I'm definately getting a lathe and learning how to use it... <_<

(not on the ship of course.... :rolleyes: )

Andy

post-34-0-65125900-1367503966_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-06701500-1367504027_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-71496500-1367504028_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-59503000-1367504030_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

looking good Andy..........I knew you'd show that wood whose boss!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

He's a lumberjack and he's OK........

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Andy...gee I thought all those references in your other topic to getting home to Peggy meant the wife. Don't know if that was a post-127-0-79836200-1367519245.gif or a post-127-0-18348000-1367519271.gif But either way, I now stand corrected.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Well.. You can be forgiven for the confusion... ;)

But to set the record straight for everyone.. I have no admiralty to answer to... Mostly because my career doesn't allow for much of a social life... Not that I ever had much of one to begin with... But last I heard, what was left of mine checked in with the coroner's office sometime about 10 years ago and hasn't been seen since... :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice work on the bow sprit Andy. As for a lathe - all I can say is "go for it", you won't regret it. Model ship building is a great excuse for accumulating all sorts of really cool power toys, er, I mean tools. :D I can highly recommend the Sherline lathes (and Mills, hint, hint, ;) )

C'mon John nobody needs a lathe,  But they sure do help when it comes to roundy things :)

Nice going so far Andy.  Perhaps you could post a picture of the lathe that is in the shed, we might be able to help.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Andy,

Peggy is looking great!   I find that power tools don't always make it better... sometimes faster.  And then there's the times where it takes longer to set things up than do it by hand.  But tools are fun. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

But remember: Power tools also make your slips and errors faster much bigger – and so far I’m only talking about nicks in the wood. So, it’s your choice - do you want to live fast and furious or slow and gentle. B)

(OK, OK, there are more options - like slow and furious etc.)

Peter

Oh brother......I can't see it coming.  First the lathe, then a mill, then a thickness sander......etc.   Before you know it the thread is a tool review and the darkside comes into play.  :D  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie.... Unless someone comes out with a kit of HM Snow Ontario.... I am destined to go down that road anyway... ;)

In the mean time.... There are still a few kits out there that will require my....uh.... attention... :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Whew......that was close !!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Relax, Andy...it's just a bunch of those folks forming a Confederacy to try and entice others using the Syren call.  We know the force is strong in you...but, boy, new tools, a place to use them, the ability to really screw up in a more spectacular and rapid fashion!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

OUCH!    Ma...........get the bandaides!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

watch out for the black dot in the vortex!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Geez these guys are just as bad as Sjors, when it comes to tempting people to do things lol. Wayne, 42rocker and several others have been trying to lead me down that dark path too. Like you I know it is in  my future...but I wanna see that Confederacy FIRST!!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I think it boils down to the fact that the ultimate expression of this hobby, as far as intricacy and accuracy go, is the scratch built plank on frame model... So within those parameters... It is inevitable... It is unavoidable...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I think it boils down to the fact that the ultimate expression of this hobby, as far as intricacy and accuracy go, is the scratch built plank on frame model... So within those parameters... It is inevitable... It is unavoidable...

Andy

Yeah, I was the same way with aircraft.  Last 12 have all been scratched from plans.  But I aint gonna live long enough to do that with a ship.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Geez these guys are just as bad as Sjors, when it comes to tempting people to do things lol. Wayne, 42rocker and several others have been trying to lead me down that dark path too. Like you I know it is in  my future...but I wanna see that Confederacy FIRST!!!!

Thank you that you see me as a bad guy  :(

Love you to!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Andy 

Nice to see you back at the work bench, joking aside the build looks great, i promise, not to joke, be sarcastic, mention the W word, or generally say any thing that is not build related

LOL

so my next messages will be-at sometime in the future 

Nice

Very nice Andy

now this build is finished, what's next

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Not to worry... I've still got many things to get out of my system (read: kits) before I go down that road.. I also need to buy a few power tools.... And learn how to use them properly....

Anyway... Up at the cottage this weekend.. Given the nice weather (finally!!), couldn't pass up the chance...

Earliest opening day yet! Most years we wait for the May TwoFour weekend.

(Victoria day or whatever you call it in England or Oz... Ours boils down to a reference to a case of beer... And a general idea about what is done.... Head north with friends... Light a fire and sit around it late into the night drinking said beer and feeding black flies....)

So the long and the short of it is... A relaxing pause from the work bench... But I'll be back at 'er soon enough...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy