HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Sherry,

Was that a beer glass or a wine glass that was dangling? :P   I assume it was empty?.... :D

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Alright.. some more fodder for the photo hounds....

And to keep a certain You-Know-Who.. and a certain slave-driver of a moderator happy :P , or if not happy.. satisfied enough to lay off the whip for an hour or so... ;)

First bit of standing rigging... the gammoning. And this morning's progress on the bands on the top of the main mast.

Andy

post-34-0-42546200-1368196978_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-64143700-1368196980_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy -- I've been checking out your log surreptitiously and now I have to weigh in and say that your work looks good.  That gammoning is espcially nice.  I'll also be really interested to see which way you go on the bunt dilemma. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks guys, I've since given the gammoning a coat of clear matte acrylic, did a good job of handling the fuzzies (that you guys couldn't see ;) ), I'm probably going to use that throughout the rigging process.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

looks very neat and tidy Andy, I will have to try your trick to tame the fuzzies...beeswax just doesn't seem to suffice for me, I think I handle it too much.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

'looks all ship shape to me Andy! Good job!  B)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Andy,

Looking fine! :D

Excellent close -ups......

Your anti-fuzzy treatment sounds intriguing.  I've had problems with beeswax too.

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

looks very neat and tidy Andy, I will have to try your trick to tame the fuzzies...beeswax just doesn't seem to suffice for me, I think I handle it too much.

The nice thing about doing it the way I just did, you can get all the knot tying and glueing out of they way first, then come back and coat the lines. Next time I'm down at the hobby shop, I'm going to pick up a bottle of matte medium, same basic stuff, but a little cheaper by volume ;)

One thing I will mention, the rigging line supplied by Amati isn't too fuzzy to begin with, so results may vary based on the line supplied.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

very nice Andy - good god another post to you - without a mention of wabbits - ooooops

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Seems I read somewhere that beeswax is best if heated after applying. IIRC it was with a hair dryer or some such device, which helped melt the wax into the roping fibre. Of course this is from memory of something I've read, so dont hold me to it. Andy's method looks great, but again that could be related to how it started life, with or without fuzzies.

When in doubt, try everything and use what works best for your application. I've seen some pretty amazing things used in unexpected ways. For instance Dubz (Dirk), wax treenails. check post #19 out http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/75-hmc-sherbourne-by-dubz-pimp-my-sherbourne/page-2

I been coating my threads with diluted white glue.......and then pulling it taught to dry.   that works reasonably well.   I've also stained white thread {the Billing's stuff I have} with india ink.....than also works well with the fuzz control.   I'm not a real big fan of bees wax....not fond of how it collects on the deck while rigging.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I do have some wax, but seeing how well the matte acrylic worked, I don't think I'll be using it.

My next trick will be figuring out small scale serving (since I don't have a "machine").... I have done it in real life, and it wasn't that hard...

We shall see....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well.. before my mind goes numb, a quick little morning update..

The weekend is proving to have some good "indoor" weather...

So I've started the wooldings on the mainmast this morning. And you can see the mizzen all painted up. Doing the battens on the mizzen top was... well... let's call it amusing... :rolleyes:

I think I'm also going to make a few changes. On the mizzen the Amati kit says to use a piece of walnut and make some sort of vertical pinrail, which to my mind looks more than a little wonky. Looking at TFFM IV (especially the colour section in the back), it looks more like there are supposed to be actual cleats on the mast (at first I thought it was some kind of spider band, but no..), looks muck better to my eye.

That book is starting to open up a whole new can of worms... I may not follow it to the letter, but I can pick and choose the changes I feel I can make...

Andy

post-34-0-34793500-1368282031_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-28932000-1368282048_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

you really have my interest sparked on that book. I've not added to my library as yet as I'm torn between wood and books. but as a bookoholic I will soon need to start working on a library.

Interesting link I found searching for the book

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org/research/Masting_and_Rigging____the_whole_nine_yards__David_Antscherl__WSMC_E_2011.pdf?id_sma=0331SMA364077

Nicely done Andy. Of course, with such a great resource as TFFM, you will no doubt find that the more you "pick", the more you will "choose"! :D

Looking great, Andy! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Nicely done Andy..... the gammoning looks great.... are you going to paint the figure head?

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks, Ham (you don't mind Ham? :P ) and Frank. :)

Frank, the figurehead is already painted.. She was grey resin to begin with, I gave it a coat of white and then dry brushed and highlighted some of the details in black.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Oooooops!!   first my ----- went.....now my eyes are going!! :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

doing a swell job Andy......good to see you moving right along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch