F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

8 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

😃the metal finish looks stunning EG. 

I think the lack of notifications is due to the changes being made.

Keep up the brilliant work (🙄pun intended)

Thanks Ed... 

It's cool about the changes they need to keep their focus I understand that....

Gonna try to keep it up... but this is mee, I will flub something eventually...

Again Thanks, Much appreciated...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looking VERY good.

Thanks Lou. 

Just tryin' to get it right....

Appreciated my friend...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Nicely done with the metal process. The reflectivity is very good. I wouldn't expect mirror finishes on operational jets, unless they were going to an airshow and they'd buff up everything. Thank God for camouflage paint jobs; no shining that stuff up, unless you're the Thunderbirds/Blue Angels and similar demo teams.

Yeah, the frequent updates here in this sub-forum are crowding out the actual ship builds. You can't follow these builds on the front page. I'm OK with that. The techniques discussed here are applicable to most modeling disciplines working with styrene and other materials. Model on!

Thanks Ken, it's a different process for sure, but it can't be beaten in producing a polished or natural metal surface...  I've had the occasion to walk near BMF airplanes quite a bit  (brother in law in the AF for 20 prior to 911) no they are not mirrors but you can tell when someone is walking up behind you from the color reflection changes in the surface..... (and whether they are in uniform or not) From a distance they don't look all that polished, but up close it's a different experience that most photos just don't show.... There are some very nice painted aircraft, but nothing compares to standing next to a piece of jewelry that can move faster than a bullet.....

I understand they need to keep the focus on their main content and it's fine with me..... I'll get there eventually with a couple of ship builds but for now, I like the little corner we are in and appreciate the space to ply our brand of modeling.... My problem is when I do build a ship, having to put it in one of the other sections, you know, the road less traveled so to speak, kinda getting used to the place here.... (but it's a road I do have to go down)

Model On! Amen Brother!!

Quote:

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yea, the took this sub forum off the recent updates as Ken said.  Just go to the top of the log and click the follow button, set up notifications as you wish. I just click the "unread content I follow" button when I log in, takes right to all the updates here. 

BTW Great job on the painting. 

Thanks Jack!  I got the intakes mounted now and am going to throw up a couple of pics.... (then figure out how to mask them off) {chuckle}

It's appreciated my friend...

Quote:

Intakes mounted..... wanted to get a few shots in before I turn it all shiny black....

Personally I think they look the part...

Starboard side...

DCP_2685.JPG.91a7081aea4ce93e3e0caa3b1c5084f3.JPG

That crinkly look above the shock cone is actually in the plastic the kit is molded in... you can actually see how the plastic flowed through the mold..... Anyway, I think they look the part...

Port side...

DCP_2686.JPG.932c4ef52b19b323535f1df98ccda4d6.JPG

I definitely want to mask them suckas off before I do anything else... they sure look the part...

DCP_2687.JPG.98f210c54facf8669d11193d84e9dde2.JPG

Now comes the big step, repeating that on the entire fuselage.....

Time to go to work filling and prepping..........

EG

Quote:

Coming along nicely, EG. Don't rush it.😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

You have the potential for this to be a  Stunning  build   it will look a beauty.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Coming along nicely, EG. Don't rush it.😁

Thank you Ken, it's gonna take what it's gonna take, time is my friend here....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

You have the potential for this to be a  Stunning  build   it will look a beauty.

OC.

I hope so brother, this is the first model in a long time where I really don't know how it is going to turn out beforehand..... As a result, I'm being particularly careful, but the preliminary results are both impressively exhilarating and glaringly flashing worrisome warnings of have patience and go slow....  I REALLY don't want to muck this one up.....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Thank you Ken, it's gonna take what it's gonna take, time is my friend here....

Glad you are not running out of it!

Very nice result EG. I'll get my sunglasses out in preparation of the fuselage! I do wonder about the consistency over such a large area ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

14 hours ago, cog said:

Glad you are not running out of it!

Very nice result EG. I'll get my sunglasses out in preparation of the fuselage! I do wonder about the consistency over such a large area ...

Well I plan on being around long enough to finish the Bandit as long as the man above agrees...

It might be a few days yet for the eye protection. She is currently in grey primer, (drying) and shows some serious work still needing to be done to smooth everything out before I can put the base coat on.... I suspected that the intakes were going to be problematic from the way they were designed, I was right....

But other than that, the engineering is surprisingly good with everything joining and matching up very very well.... I'll post pics before I start sanding and shaping....

Thank you Carl....

Quote:

Next update...

Out of the paint shop and back on my bench... 

One coat of Tamiya fine grey primer, lets see how well I did filling the gaps....

Starboard side....

DCP_2688.JPG.13d95e5eae74c4907b2a470688d140e1.JPG

Bottom.....

DCP_2689.JPG.ebac73b3cb8c099e44202b72eeb0b465.JPG

Looks pretty good, most of the panel gaps are gone just a few minor fixes needed, that's what we primer for...

DCP_2690.JPG.a13a518a64b22e63e6e3236521cecf9a.JPG

Clearly there are issues with the intakes, I knew this was going to happen from the assembly process. It's just the way the parts are designed...

DCP_2691.JPG.760652d506e83cdcb4893fcf101f9870.JPG

Starboard intake...

DCP_2692.JPG.1e5264c644eabcf8cc5f0e37f9a113d4.JPG

Larboard intake....

DCP_2693.JPG.62e8acde04cedc4ca508ef52ff3d38e7.JPG

Fuzzy, but there is a ridge in the middle ahead of the canopy, small but noticeable...

DCP_2694.JPG.731f7713ee240eefbc8b7ef1bdc12622.JPG

The tail cone has a gap that I guess didn't completely fill....

DCP_2695.JPG.0bcb155649e013b6d0eea80d23ce7271.JPG

And the gun bay cover edges didn't completely fill either.....

DCP_2696.JPG.bfa3ec91041844a85f420361f502b138.JPG

Overall I would say she came out of the initial assembly in excellent shape.... a few minor issues to deal with and the worst one being a slight smoothing to a compound fuselage curve behind the intake plenums....

And the metal finish made it through the masking and spraying very well. I had to take off the masking to work the intakes cause I would have knocked it off anyway... Easy to re-mask when needed...

Coming along, initial assembly turned out better than I thought it would....

Onwards...

EG

Quote:

I do love that Tamiya surface primer rattle can.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I do love that Tamiya surface primer rattle can.

OC.

I do too brother, it's perfect for not only showing you where to fix but how your coming closer to fixing the problem....

I'm beginning to feel the same for Mr Surfacer as well... just paint it in, let it dry/cure and sand away.... makes an excellent shallow divot/dent/fine gap filler....

Starting the second application of Mr Surfacer......

DCP_2697.JPG.6a4866a99735bb3f0542215a0f8457fd.JPG

It fills the divot rather easily

DCP_2698.JPG.f351a7c306821e9b3da2d5f1e23d403a.JPG

A compound curve into an edge, the edge can't change as that is a landing gear well... One of the more difficult fills for putty... Mr Surfacer 500, no sweat...

DCP_2699.JPG.9e7da4c0de0267afe3104fe899791c68.JPG

Almost done on the port side, After this application, a re-spray with primer as a check for smoothness...

DCP_2700.JPG.1109e3b678edef9b2fbec3a274194d65.JPG

The top starboard side may be done next time around also.... the split off from the outside surface to the air ramp? no sweat, Putty would have been difficult to keep out of the gap between the splitter plate and fuselage.... Mr Surfacer as a liquid filler handles it easily....

I'm impressed... I'm used to products not being as advertised, and having to make them work or come up with an alternative, this just plain flat works.....

Simple and easy, even on the difficult spots...

That's what I like...

Onward....

EG

Quote:

EG, which blend are you using? I have some 500, but I think they have 1000 and 1200. They sure do fill the spaces nicely. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

2 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, which blend are you using? I have some 500, but I think they have 1000 and 1200. They sure do fill the spaces nicely. ;)

I'm using 500 for this Ken, straight out of the bottle. It is the thickest and has the body to stand up while if hardens. The others are too thin for this kind of work....

As it is it's going to take several applications before the surface is smooth......

But, I'm only going to have to wait an hour between fills, it dries to sandable that fast.....

The rest of the joints were paint it on, let it quick dry and use Mr Color leveling thinner on a q-tip to clean off the excess... Really a quite fast process....

I like it... (wish they had something like this 30 years ago)

EG

Quote:

Another filling update.... (moving towards a tastes better solution soon)

Port Side...

DCP_2701.JPG.2fb69a8a6ef889ca49b5170b7120d14d.JPG

Port Side bottom...

DCP_2702.JPG.78e9696b1c9334a3b56a1f554283ff31.JPG

That filled out nicely feels smooth to the fingers sliding over it... ready for a primer coat....

The Starboard side is a different story....

DCP_2703.JPG.ad0b05bde329e289fb98e493a7860518.JPG

The starboard bottom Clearly gonna need more fill here, it was a deep dislocation of part....

DCP_2704.JPG.7b6d804ad477e97dcb130337052be12d.JPG

Starboard Top.. I'm gonna wait for the next round of primer before I will say it's done.... But it looks good....

DCP_2705.JPG.d99dff48d43e8417e52e8ef0478158e8.JPG

The pic is a little grainy but you can still see the hump that needs to be reduced/built up..... Another application of Mr Surfacer....

One thing I REALLY REALLY like is the rapidity I can get to sanding with this stuff..... using putty, I would still be waiting for it to cure.... The difference? I'm almost done with filling long before I would be even able to give it a first sanding....

Mr Surfacer, A must have tool in the box IMHO.... (especially if your doing smooth compound curved surfaces like aircraft)

And the obligatory disclaimer, I get no recompense from Mr Hobby, this is just my individual opinion based upon the usage displayed above...

EG

Quote:

Can I give  a tip that I use for close up photos  - they  tend to focus behind what we want  (they find more detail and contrast there if there is lots of stuff in the background)   if you are not too close  for your min focus distance  - try focusing on something  slightly closer  by moving that focus box  in front of what you want to  be sharp, Not by much just a bit,    dont foreget that  fuselage is  detail - less  to the camera   but all those  bits in the background are interesting  for the camera and what it will try to  focus on.

Just what I have leaned over the years.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Can I give  a tip that I use for close up photos  - they  tend to focus behind what we want

If the camera has the "spot focus" feature, try using it.

EG, thanks for the info on the Mr Surfacer 500. I've been using Vallejo filler of late (marble dust in an acrylic medium, no odor). but it has a noticeable drying time. Works good, but takes time to dry. I like my Bondo Spot Putty, too. It has quite an odor, but it sets past and stays in place.

Ken

I'm still here......catching up on your exploits :)   very nice finish you've created.   should look sweet on this large scale model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm still here......catching up on your exploits :)   very nice finish you've created.   should look sweet on this large scale model :) 

I don't know about exploits my friend... thank you, it's my first BMF and I'm trying to get it right... I think it will look good...

I hope...

Quote:

Looking forward to more update bro   - loving what you have done so far.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

39 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking forward to more update bro   - loving what you have done so far.

OC.

I appreciate that OC, Thank you...

Quote:

Last update before first paint...

Starboard side looks pretty smooth...

DCP_2706.JPG.ad7fcfc94d564ca9011fd58c5174f6fe.JPG

Port side as well...

DCP_2707.JPG.91c900a5ab97185057b3d0d63502b5ef.JPG

Now to mask off the main landing gear bay........ 

DCP_2708.JPG.4f3b73abe66fb8ec236909a6c968a317.JPG

......and I'll be turning it shiny black.....

We are going to see how smooth I got it.......

EG

Quote:

That is looking really smooth  - you did really good with those intake joins.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is looking really smooth  - you did really good with those intake joins.

OC.

Thanks OC, I hope so, but the only way to really know is to put a shiny coat on it, if they aren't smooth they will appear as ripples in the surface.......

Got my fingers crossed... (off to paint)

EG

Quote:

EG, the primer looks very good. I suspect you may see a few minor blemishes, but you'll overcome them. :)👍

I've never attempted a BMF, although I have built up a few plated passenger cars.

Ken

3 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, the primer looks very good. I suspect you may see a few minor blemishes, but you'll overcome them. :)👍

I've never attempted a BMF, although I have built up a few plated passenger cars.

This is my first time also, and it's the first time for these powders as well, something completely new. 

I'm expecting some blemishes, too much primer over fill to be perfect. She is dressed in black now and just put the first clear high gloss sealer coat on the top...  My main fear is it orange peels rather than lays flat...

So at this point it is what it is... it either makes it or it doesn't...... 

Anyway, here are the shots, a long cool woman in a black dress.....

DCP_2709.JPG.20c5798d5f2bb1978133faa4b47e06fa.JPG

DCP_2710.JPG.76ba2607cdf1492f6ef89a71777c5728.JPG

DCP_2711.JPG.8db271967284b11d6f5df54a3587614a.JPG

The gloss coat takes a couple of hours to cure before I can flip her over and do the bottom, I won't know how it turned out till tonight....

EG

Quote:

Fingers crossed bro.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.