F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

2 hours ago, Canute said:

You have any Cook Outs? Grilled burgers with fresh ingredients. Made to order, so they are slow. .

My personal hamburger recipe is 2 lbs 80-20 ground beef, mix in 1 pkg of Lipton brand French Onion Soup mix, or their Beefy Onion soup mix,  in powder form, knead well,  shape into quarter pound patties and grill. The soup mix keeps the juices in so the burger stays moist. Great flavor. 

Oh ! Here in the "colonies" 80-20 ground beef means 80% lean beef and 20% fat (ground chuck).

10 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I hate anything and everything Diet xxxxxx.  Yuck !

My feelings exactly. Mostly coffee, tea, juice now and then if I think of it and water occasionally. I find my way to a mixed drink every few months or so but place almost all beers in the same category as diet anything for some reason.

We have a chain restaurant out here called "The Blazing Onion". Expensive but good! Only problem is that it is also noisy. At least it was before Covid. Haven't been out for a while I'm afraid.

For home I am like Jack. Juicy burger with plenty of onion, mushrooms, and green stuff. You can keep the katsup and tomato but I do like a number of different kinds of cheese  so long as it is not the "American" processed stuff.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 hours ago, cog said:

Don't indulge on the diet products (like diet sodas), neither your body nor your nervous system do respond to well to a lot of artificial sweetners. It actually is quite a list.

How is the last part of cleaning moving along?

Yep and Aspartame  is actually  not very good for you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, Egilman said:

and Americas favorite drink is Diet Coke and has been for at least two decades....

"favorite drink"...?????  Must be the younger generations doing it.  I'm cofffee and/or water all day and either a bit brandy, Irish Creme, or nice wine at night.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm cofffee and/or water all day and either a bit brandy

I'm with you on the coffee bit but I prefer dark rum or gin (not the latest fad types)

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I just spotted this build and was VERY happy that I did.   While I have not built a plane model in 60 years, it may be time again.  The reason for this is that your build brought back memories of Darryl Greenamyer (RIP) and his Red Baron 104.  (Darryl was also a test pilot for the SR71 at the Skunk Works), and flew all manner of planes from Mustangs to Bearcats.   I had the good fortune to meet him several times and worked with his team to provide the paint for the Red Baron as I worked for PPG at the time.   Even got a chance to sit in the cockpit for a minute.  Several of my coworkers and I  flew in to Tonopah and Mudd Lake for the four pass low altitude speed record run October 2, 1976 which the French officials messed up, but it was a thrill of a lifetime.    He did make another run later that they got right and the record still stands at 998 mph although the early run was a bit faster.    The heartbreak was when he had to ditch the plane after a test run for the altitude record for which the Red Baron was specially equipped on the nose with steering rockets.   Long story short, his gear did not come down and lock so could not land.   He was near Edwards at that time and they put him on a crash line and had him bail out.   

With all the talk of color schemes, if I do build a 104, the following is what I would go for having had a chance to be part of that little bit of history.  Below are pictures of Darryl and the RB and the RB itself.

Allan

US air racing pilot Darryl Greenamyer dies aged 82 | PilotAirborne 10.05.18: Toyota Flying Car, Darryl Greenamyer, Falcon 50 ...

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

That would be a cool tribute, Allan. Greenamyer was a hero of mine.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ken, If you have not already seen it, try to find the documentary they did with Darryl and his team in Greenland where they tried to resurrect the B-29 Kee Bird.   99.9% done when disaster struck.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

"favorite drink"...?????  Must be the younger generations doing it.  I'm cofffee and/or water all day and either a bit brandy, Irish Creme, or nice wine at night.

One cup of decaf coffee in the mornings, then water, iced tea during the day, an occasional glass of milk. No alcohol whatsoever except maybe a sip of something at New Year. 

That Red Baron paint scheme is outstanding. Wonder if anyone ever did a decal sheet for it? I'll bet someone did.

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

With all the talk of color schemes, if I do build a 104, the following is what I would go for having had a chance to be part of that little bit of history.  Below are pictures of Darryl and the RB and the RB itself.

Welcome to the build Allen....

That is a striking scheme, it is a beautiful airplane.... (in any color scheme) Darryl was one of the few civilians who had the privilege of being in the Mach II club.... an amazing man as well as airplane.....

The biggest privilege of being a model maker is being an inspiration to a fellow modeler... Thank you most deeply for your gracious compliment......

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

According to daily sales data Diet Coke surpasses the next nearest competitor by more than 2x..... Surpasses regular Coke by 50%...... It's what the people actually buy....

I drink predominantly Black coffee with a pass towards irish creme occasionally....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Ken, If you have not already seen it, try to find the documentary they did with Darryl and his team in Greenland where they tried to resurrect the B-29 Kee Bird.   99.9% done when disaster struck.   

Allan

And it shows what one little minute detail can do to such endeavours.... they forgot to secure a battery near the tail gunners compartment, in the rough ride to get to the improvised runway, it bounced out of it's bracket and threw a spark which ignited some flammables which quickly spread to the fresh paint.... It filled with smoke in seconds and was a smoking lump of melted aluminum in minutes.....

If it had a full crew it would have been saved..... but by the time the pilots realized they had a fire it was too late....

A real heartbreaker.....

Quote:

1 hour ago, CDW said:

One cup of decaf coffee in the mornings, then water, iced tea during the day, an occasional glass of milk. No alcohol whatsoever except maybe a sip of something at New Year. 

That Red Baron paint scheme is outstanding. Wonder if anyone ever did a decal sheet for it? I'll bet someone did.

Hasegawa did N104RB Red Baron in 1/48th back in 2007..

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-09749-f-104-starfighter-red-baron--101097

Esci did it in 1/72nd about '83 or so....

From what I can see there are no 1/32nd scale decals, although images of the Hase decals sheet are available if one wants to do it in paint.... (or duplicate, scale and print them in white decal paper for a red airplane)

Quote:

Allan and EG, I watched that video and almost cried when the "bird" caught fire.

There's a lake near Eielson AFB, near Fairbanks, AK with a B-29/50 in it. Or at least it was, back in the mid 90s, when I was on temporary duty up there.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Another interesting variant would be the North American Eagle Project. Another project with an unfortunate end.

image.jpeg.c733b5c70eaa1b09691ee059fb5985cc.jpeg

Fastest woman on four wheels, Jessi Combs, killed in record ...

image.jpeg.286b572c340bdd4ffe1665c2e34a7d4b.jpeg

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

32 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Another interesting variant would be the North American Eagle Project. Another project with an unfortunate end.

image.jpeg.c733b5c70eaa1b09691ee059fb5985cc.jpeg

Yep, she was shooting for the women's world land speed record of 512 mph....... 

She had made a previous high-speed run at 483.227 (good looker too)

She was my neighbor....

Fastest woman on wheels....

Rest in peace sweetheart....

Quote:

Ok, New paint test..... Testors Metalizer Rattlecan aluminum Plate (buffing)....

DCP_2741.JPG.f1535f5f01da7e43bb6fbc8632276260.JPG

I took the lower hull of my junk M-41 and prepared it for the buffing test this way...

On the left is an undercoat of Testors Ultra Gloss

To the right of it is bare plastic (green tamiya styrene)

To the right of that is Krylon Shortcuts Black (supposed to be gloss but is actually a semi gloss)

And on the right is a finely brushed coat of Future....

They are all oversprayed with metalizer buffing aluminium plate and the can directions say let it dry for an hour...  It has dried....

Time to do some buffing.....

EG

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Yep, she was shooting for the women's world land speed record of 512 mph....... 

She has been credited with the title at 522.783 MPH when she hit something probably on the course. I always wondered why they didn't fully check out the expected course for objects large enough to destroy the front wheel. Probably didn't need to be all that big at that speed, but still..................  The team considered the car was capable of  833 MPH if they lit the afterburner. Pretty good for a 1950s design rescued from a junk yard!

What are you using for buffing?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

38 minutes ago, lmagna said:

What are you using for buffing?

My hand and an old t-shirt.... thought about using the dremel but I think that would be too much. anyway, I don't seem to be getting the results they show on their pics.....

Quote:

Hand buffing isn't cutting it?  Hmm, try running the Dremel at its slowest speed?

Ken

Future or Ultra gloss as a topcoat? Some kind of ultra fine polishing compound?

https://www.novuspolish.com/products.html

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

36 minutes ago, Canute said:

Hand buffing isn't cutting it?  Hmm, try running the Dremel at its slowest speed?

Yeah I did, isn't cutting it either... and if you happen to hit an edge..... OUCH!

Quote:

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Future or Ultra gloss as a topcoat? Some kind of ultra fine polishing compound?

https://www.novuspolish.com/products.html

It looks like fine aluminum paint when it goes down, the can says let it dry for an hour then buff it... so when you buff it it lays down and starts to shine like polished metal, or is supposed to... Testors reccommends shooting it over bare plastic, forget that, doesn't work, just looks like blotchy paint... putting it down over ultra clear gets about half way to a NMF but it is still blotchy also, same with Future except more blotchy....

Over the gloss black paint, does nothing... except come off....

This isn't working at all....

I had better results with uschi powders over gloss red with a thin coat of future....

Now, it's becoming a real challenge....

Quote:

Have you thought about trying Chrome Rattle can sprays, I have heard some good results from them?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Here's a wild suggestion. Try the buffing rouge they use on a strop to fine polish the edge of woodcarving knives/gouges. Scrape some powder onto a piece of polishing cloth then use the cloth to polish the model. 

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Have you thought about trying Chrome Rattle can sprays, I have heard some good results from them?

OC.

Yes Brother, I've tried them and I call them false advertising....

They don't work, for anything...

Thanks for the suggestion...

Quote: