F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

11 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Here's a wild suggestion. Try the buffing rouge they use on a strop to fine polish the edge of woodcarving knives/gouges. Scrape some powder onto a piece of polishing cloth then use the cloth to polish the model. 

I tried that too, polishing rouge are powders are very very fine abrasives, they only work on very hard surfaces like steel, they strip painted surfaces....

Thanks for the suggestion Jack....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

10 hours ago, CDW said:

My old boss, the General, would say, "you are pole vaulting over mouse turds." Get a cheap airbrush and a bottle of AK Extreme Metal Aluminum paint and call it done. 🙂

You'll be glad you did. JMHO.

Yeah I know, I'm hearing ruminations from the Admiral along those same lines. But she doesn't understand what I'm trying to accomplish..... (and she knows that she doesn't understand)

It can be done..... I have photo proof...... Will post a series of what I'm trying to do on a model in a minute.... (it's been done before) 

Trying to replicate what someone else already did.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Ok maybe If I show my brothers what I'm trying to do with the finish on my zipper they will understand why airbrushing paint isn't going to cut it.......

1/32nd scale Hase F-104 C.....

102_001_fs.jpg.13d720312230f654ad0dc63a9bc929a7.jpg102_015_fs.jpg.c454099f1035af0f85357027e05389fa.jpg102_097_fs.jpg.d85b84b73e6a9fbc2670682d9afd6ea3.jpg102_134_fs.jpg.c0ce08311ca430e5c9fd752f89c13f70.jpg

And he replicated this finish on a Hase 1/32nd F-104G....

F104G_allemand_120_fs.jpg.c1edc5551b5dadf23324dfa259771536.jpgF104G23_fs.jpg.3ffbedcc21b4e80c662afff263d36ecc.jpgF104G_allemand_003_fs.jpg.b738cfae016612e512486eac33006f3b.jpgF104G_allemand_001_fs.jpg.c02127447c31882bcb2460761ceae1fc.jpgF104G25_fs.jpg.5249c1a09f00bc9e8084b5be60d91dd3.jpg

That's is what I'm trying to replicate and it ain't happening with paint.... that I already know.... there is a product out there that will put a polished metal finish on plastic that looks like real metal in scale and will take decals and finishing...

Uschi's powders come very very close to that.... but can't take decals or be finished.....

I've tried contacting the builder but he's fallen off the planet.... 

Now this is where a stubborn streak comes in, it's been done, I WILL find out what product or products do this finish on plastic.... 

There is no paint product that can match that....

EG

Quote:

5 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Ok maybe If I show my brothers what I'm trying to do with the finish on my zipper they will understand why airbrushing paint isn't going to cut it.......

1/32nd scale Hase F-104 C.....

And he replicated this finish on a Hase 1/32nd F-104G....

That's is what I'm trying to replicate and it ain't happening with paint.... that I already know.... there is a product out there that will put a polished metal finish on plastic that looks like real metal in scale and will take decals and finishing...

Uschi's powders come very very close to that.... but can't take decals or be finished.....

I've tried contacting the builder but he's fallen off the planet.... 

Now this is where a stubborn streak comes in, it's been done, I WILL find out what product or products do this finish on plastic.... 

There is no paint product that can match that....

EG

Share a link to this build, please. I find it hard to believe no airbrush work was done on this model.

32 minutes ago, CDW said:

Share a link to this build, please. I find it hard to believe no airbrush work was done on this model.

I found the source of the pics, it's a product called Rub-n-Buff......

I got the pics from a different site..... (but they are all here and more)

The builders name is Paul Coudeyrette and it was built back in 2009....

Hyperscale..... F-104C, and the F-104G

His claim is that it is entirely Rub-n-Buff....

I've got a tube of the silver and am about to test it....

EG

Quote:

Ok, I did a quick and dirty test just to see if it's as advertised.... (I've seen so many products that aren't over the last two weeks)

This is a pigment powder infused carnuba wax.... (the same stuff you wipe on and wipe off your car) The idea is to take a soft cloth, put a dab on the cloth and just polish the surface.....

I'm using the old M-41 turret upper, figured I would polish the sides....

Remember wipe on polish in....

DCP_2742.JPG.13fd95a5ab54ddf5216e346e0f7dd60e.JPG

DCP_2743.JPG.7e30a3e207ce327e8a607f5b277783b7.JPG

That took all of three minutes.....

Other side....

DCP_2744.JPG.bda3cea1a761de296e9e0984a95ee645.JPG

That took two minutes... It is hard shelled and will not wash off when completely dried.... No fingerprints either....  It should handle decals without problem...

So as a supreme test, I went and applied it to the unpainted insides of the turret, bare dirty green plastic....

DCP_2745.JPG.b119b0473d8a1b2c2f2ece7b1ac3a6c5.JPG

It went down there just as easy as the outer surfaces did... A little goes a LOOOng way...... 

Polished metal finish in a few minutes...

YES, It is this easy... (no it can't be that damned easy) YES, it is...

All it took was five minutes, no muss, no fuss as easy as polishing your silverware....

The amazing thing is this product has been around for decades all those years of fretting over BMF's, paint formulations, powders and chrome, and this product, which makes it super easy, has never really been seen.....

I only stumbled across the example pics in a generic web search for bare metal finishes.... 

Now I know what I'm doing.....

Thank you all for following along....

EG

I"ll do a more detailed test if anyone wishes it, but for me I'm done looking.... I've found it...

Quote:

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

You may be onto something with Rub N Buff. It's been so long since I used it, I had forgotten all about it. Have you tried clear coating it yet? Best I recall, it takes a clear coat very well.

Coudeyrette's work cannot be argued with, it's beautiful.

It was seeing Paul's work on that F-104C Craig that got me onto an accurate BMF... and I vowed I was going to duplicate it... 

His application is flawless in the pictures.... almost looks like a real aircraft, hard to tell the difference when compared to pics of the real thing...

I haven't tried clear coating it yet but my first test will be Future, and then maybe Testors ultra gloss.... Paul didn't clear coat his, (you can tell by the noticeable decal edges in one of the pics) but other than that gorgeous work... Those pics have been my inspiration..... And I have an F-100 in the stash as well.... now that I know how to do an accurate BMF........

Quote:

I'd totally forgotten about this stuff!  The clear coat then decaling will be the test. The finish looks good so far. I'd like to see what the range of colors might be available.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, Canute said:

I'd totally forgotten about this stuff!  The clear coat then decaling will be the test. The finish looks good so far. I'd like to see what the range of colors might be available.

Well it's made by Amaco (American Art & Clay Company) Rub & Buff there is supposed to be 12 colors and you can buy direct... Michaels only carries gold leaf, silver leaf and antique gold...

It's not that expensive and goes a long ways...

Again, no affiliation with the product in any way....

EG

Quote:

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Have you tried clear coating it yet? Best I recall, it takes a clear coat very well.

Yep I can now report that it takes a clear coat, both Future and Testors ultra clear very very well without lifting and no noticeable darkening... I can also report that it masks better than paint... the Future was brushed on in a very thin coat so even with the pressure of brush stroking it didn't lift... (after about three hours curing time allowing the wax to completely harden) If you apply it with a brush you can clean the brush with paint thinner Testors regular thinner/brush cleaner takes it right out of your brush with no residue.... (don't get it on your freshly buffed finish on the model though)

It's like this product was made for modeling BMF's on airplanes....

Quote:

I'm glad that Rub-n-Buff worked.  I was thinking toothpaste might do it, but the stuff you used looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

persistence has its rewards  ;) great job! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

persistence has its rewards  ;) great job! :) 

I was going to find it one way or the other.... In the end, it was finding the actual build report that did it. I was very happy that he posted what he used to do it...

This is the current state of the build.... 

DCP_2746.JPG.44caa451a070e97b377512bec7d0c0d6.JPG

Waiting on my care package for Microscale to arrive. I have the silver Rub-n-Buff and the pewter arrives today for the darker panels on the tail.....

I also have bought a few more decals for her, mostly the myriad stenciling that is all over the bird... that from viewing Pauls examples are readily distinguishable on the silver, you can't read them of course but they are seeable... They add a lot to the overall look...

So will be posting more shortly, after the supplies arrive and as soon as I can get the canopy masked and reinstalled. A light coat of primer and an application of polishing pads to smooth it all out and I should be on the road again....

Quote:

Glad to see your still on track bro,   she has so much potential .

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking nice. Of course you know that Italeri has a 1/32 104A/C!:D (Just in case you don't feel you have punished yourself enough already at 1/48th)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2504-f-104-a-c-starfighter--261431

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Just in case you don't feel you have punished yourself enough already at 1/48th

Hey brother, I think I've punished my self enough at 1/32nd scale.... {chuckle}

1/48th? although I've built many of them, I don't think I would put this much effort into them.....  They can be built into beautiful models though, don't ever believe anyone saying they can't...

Quote:

I forgot you put the month first over the pond🙄🙄 so:

:36:happy birthday EG:champagne:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

And from me Bro,  have a Great one  :cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Happy Birthday  ! :champagne:          :champagne-2:

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I forgot you put the month first over the pond🙄🙄 so:

:36:happy birthday EG:champagne:

48 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

And from me Bro,  have a Great one  :cheers:

OC.

Thank you all!! I had forgotten.... 

One more milage marker past..... they seem to be coming faster and faster.... 

Thank you very much....

Quote:

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Happy Birthday, brother!:champagne-2:

Thank you Ken....

Quote:

What, you have a birthday? I thought the 7-11 on your profile was where you like to hang out, (A convenience store for those outside the US)! It doesn't matter anyway unless you are older than me now! Well........................ I suppose you don't HAVE to be older than me, congratulations.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

What, you have a birthday? I thought the 7-11 on your profile was where you like to hang out, (A convenience store for those outside the US)! It doesn't matter anyway unless you are older than me now! Well........................ I suppose you don't HAVE to be older than me, congratulations.

I was wondering what that date was all over my records...  I guess that is it... Older? nah, you just have passed a few more mile markers than I Lou.... On a side note, I considered suing 7-11 for using my information as the name for their business till I found out that they have passed more markers than both of us..... {chuckle}

Thanks my friend..

Quote:

59 minutes ago, cog said:

Darn, and me thinking it was 7th November! Many happy returns of the day

Yeah I'm backwards half the time as it is myself so it's all good.....

Thanks Carl......

Quote:

Sorry I'm late to the party... looks like the cake is gone.   Hope you're having a great birthday.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Sorry I'm late to the party... looks like the cake is gone.   Hope you're having a great birthday.

14 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Just remember you`re not older,just more experienced:P.     :champagne-2:

Mark

Hi Mark, and thank you both....

Mark I saved you a piece pngguru_com.png.d780e291116b37b5757b69e273d91972.png

More experienced? That's what she said after the fact.....

Thank you my friends... It was a good day.... 

And the post office is going to grace me with a birthday present tomorrow, my supplies are supposed to arrive.... Yay!

Onward!!!

EG

Quote: