F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

3 hours ago, Canute said:

I flew with a guy who ejected at a  high rate of speed. He was grounded for months, but eventually did get to fly again. Multiple waivers for stuff, like the special boot for one leg shorter than the other. Great guy, too. I forget what he was flying when he bailed out, but I knew him at Eglin, in Phantoms.

The MB seat drogue chute was on top of the seat in the F-4 to slow and stabilize the seat. There was a barostat that senses a set altitude and we would separate from the seat with our seat kit and parachute. Think the altitude was 11,500'. Below that altitude, we just separated and the chute deployed. You guys are going to make me drag out my flight manual to check all this stuff. ;)

Yep  - any "Selfies"  would be good also😃

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

It's just part of the journey brother.... it's interesting to us non-stick and rudder fellas.... (but no requirement my friend, some L&D situations are difficult for some to recount, we understand) 

Just a reminder of what many put themselves at risk of for the rest of us..... Thank you sometimes is just not enough, but thank you anyways

Thank you, EG.  I just need the flight manual to keep the myriad of facts straight for y'all.  I'm pretty free with telling some combat stories, mostly the funny stuff. The serious stuff I only tell a very limited few folk. Flying stories are usually funny stuff. I was very fortunate flying, never jumped out of a jet for any reason. Broke a few, but made safe recoveries.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

OC, never was one for them. I gotta find a couple of pix of me or my jet. Maybe in my slide collection.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

In the Marine aviation, at electronics school of all places, we had to the "get out of the plane" drills.   Water drops into a tank in seat/fake cockpit, drops from a parachute simulator wearing the harness into water (and don't irritate the instructor or there will be wind gusts and you might get released upside down).  Didn't do bang seats but we did have to do a real drop by stepping out of a perfectly good airplane.   I never figured that training out as Marine aircraft at that time only had enlisted crews in helicopters and one never wanted to bail out of one of those since there was a meat grinder overhead.  

And then there was the "get off the sinking ship" training.  Stepping off  a 40 foot (seemed higher) tower into the water.

It did give insight to what the fixed wing pilots had to do.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok the base PE is on cockpit sides. this was critical cause they HAVE to fit...

Left side

DCP_2568.JPG.52837d601010ed945396b6305bf0e8fe.JPG

Right side

DCP_2569.JPG.02af77e1eed3f92fc61c40c8b09ec1a3.JPG

A total of five parts... bottom edge sits on the floor and top edge meets the corner of the side consoles... Perfect fit, I guess I got lucky for a change....

Painted....

DCP_2570.JPG.693725b139aa64b1ad075af82400bd62.JPG

I guess they are the first class magazine holders....

At this point I"m going to continue on with the PE and will post again when the tub is almost done. then we move on to the seat....

PS: I'll let you know when I find the ashtray and cup holders......

EG

DCP_2571.JPG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just now, mtaylor said:

And then there was the "get off the sinking ship" training.  Stepping off  a 40 foot (seemed higher) tower into the water.

When I was a kid, we had a 50 foot tower to dive/jump off into the water at a local lake we frequented. Like you said, it felt a lot higher than 50 feet when you stood on top of it to dive off, but it was darned good practice.

Well, part of the way done... 

Port and Starboard panels on throttle quadrant on and instrument panel mostly done...

DCP_2572.JPG.8c3589e7529a8103444e210327b5c118.JPG

A little closer.

I did the radar screen in gloss dark green, looked to be close to what I saw....

DCP_2573.JPG.e82435529e10e4d44ae2d40bb35fdd47.JPG

A few pull handles remain and a couple of switches but to be honest with ya, I can't see them. even in 1/32nd scale individual switches are so tiny you can hardly see them to install them much less photograph them....

Anyway I"m past the cockpit panels on to the seat and seatbelts.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Wouldn't surprise anyone if they had ashtrays in those older jets. They did in the transports I rode in. Cockpit's coming along nicely.

Ken

Sometimes I wonder if the designers who design these microscopic parts ever tried to glue them into position. 

It's bad enough with PE but some plastic parts on Joy-Yard's 1/350 Missouri I'm working on now are so  tiny

you can barely see them under magnification let alone clean off any flash.

Like you say, some times it's not worth the effort.

Outstanding technical job on your 104. Thanks for sharing the data you have gathered. 

Regards, Harley USAF F-86L & F-102A

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Coming on fine  can't beat those pre coloured  pe  pieces.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Wouldn't surprise anyone if they had ashtrays in those older jets. They did in the transports I rode in. Cockpit's coming along nicely.

Thanks Ken, (when I find the cupholders then I'll know I'm in first class)

The tiny tiny details are what's slowing me down, thankfully, they provide extras in the PE sheets, but when folded they look like black grains of sand, (yeah, they need to be folded as well) and against the black panels? I really don't know how much they add to the look. the pre-painted panels add a lot but the rest? I'm not so sure that it's worth the eye strain to add it all.... heck unless you got some super close up setup for your camera, it's plain not seeable.... And that is with the cockpit out of the airplane.... (in the airplane, you ain't seeing any of it)

Just a little advise to us half blind older modelers out there, you have to decide with some of this stuff if it is worth it..... to me IMHO? nope.... the panels are nice and add a lot to the look, but skip the 2 to 3 thousandths of an inch wide switches, knobs and lights... it just isn't worth the headache for what you can actually see. (and the color paint on them doesn't help, they are too small for the eye to pick it up)

EG

Quote:

4 hours ago, Tigerdvr said:

Sometimes I wonder if the designers who design these microscopic parts ever tried to glue them into position. 

It's bad enough with PE but some plastic parts on Joy-Yard's 1/350 Missouri I'm working on now are so  tiny

you can barely see them under magnification let alone clean off any flash.

Like you say, some times it's not worth the effort.

Outstanding technical job on your 104. Thanks for sharing the data you have gathered. 

Regards, Harley USAF F-86L & F-102A

I agree Harley, the technology of PE and Plastic Injection Molding has reached the point where what is the point? some of this is way past practical. But as long as people see a value in it, they will spend the bucks for it..... Great modelers don't need it and the average modeler can't install it... But, they sell the idea that you the average modeler can build the things you could only dream of before... and they get paid for hyping that dream...

Thank you re: the research, I do like accurate info even if I can't possibly model it all.....

EG

Quote:

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Coming on fine  can't beat those pre coloured  pe  pieces.

OC.

Hey brother, yeah they do make attractive cockpit panels, much better than I could paint and at least are laid out accurately for the most part... they do work...

Quote:

Too bad they don't supply well made vacuformed canopies to go along with these super detailed cockpit parts. That way you could still possibly actually see what was inside when all was done, especially if you treated it with something like Future to make it clearer. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Too bad they don't supply well made vacuformed canopies to go along with these super detailed cockpit parts. That way you could still possibly actually see what was inside when all was done, especially if you treated it with something like Future to make it clearer. 

Great idea Lou, That would be a great addition to aftermarket materials for modelers especially in the bigger scales, then the canopy PE would have a better scale appearance. But then there are techniques for working with ultra thin acrylic plastics that many modelers have tried and didn't do well... But it's like anything practice makes perfect....

Quote:

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Just a little advise to us half blind older modelers out there, you have to decide with some of this stuff if it is worth it..... to me IMHO? nope.... the panels are nice and add a lot to the look, but skip the 2 to 3 thousandths of an inch wide switches, knobs and lights... it just isn't worth the headache for what you can actually see. (and the color paint on them doesn't help, they are too small for the eye to pick it up)

Cockpit details an others are basically bragging points.  You know they're there.   It seems just a matter of personal choice for the builder. My personal choice in the CH-53 was "why bother" as I could barely see the dash panel parts out of the bird.  Once installed, couldn't even see the panel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Next step is the seat...

I have the Brassin seat from Eduard, it comes with decals and PE but it doesn't come with all the harnesses that were used on the Lockheed C-2 seat... For that I aquired the Eduard Super Fabric cause it gives you those harnesses. and along with it's own set of PE...

DCP_2574.JPG.85190aafc9a320e7aa914c562d483b91.JPG

Pretty much all the harnesses are included in brass in the brassin set  there is a couple of small PE details in the fabric set the brassin doesn't have along with the restraint netting... 

So, what I"m going to do it primarily use the Brassin PE (cause it is a complete kit and the parts just fit) and augment it with the Fabric set for those few parts missing.....

Anyway onward with the seat.... once this is done I can go back to the main aircraft, the Hase F-104C has the cockpit assembled as subassemblies which come together when the fuselage is assembled. So, as a result I won't be able to give a complete shot of the finished cockpit until it's in the aircraft..... Unfortunately that is the way it was manufactured....

Onwards...

Quote:

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Cockpit details an others are basically bragging points.  You know they're there.   It seems just a matter of personal choice for the builder.

I get that Mark, I know they are there, but to be honest, I won't go through the very real excedrin headaches of doing it again.. I reached my limit on how far I will go with this one....

Can I do it? yes.....

Will I do it again? emphatic NO....

Quote:

I am coming to the same conclusion after building a much less complicated cockpit on my F3F models.  But, was fun trying to prove to myself that I could do it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, lmagna said:

Squadron used to fill that niche of vacuformed canopies. They were cheap, too. Seems they went the way of the Dodo Bird.

Yep, cut 'em out, dip in Future/Pledge/whatever that stuff is called today, paint and install.

Ken

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Squadron used to fill that niche of vacuformed canopies. They were cheap, too. Seems they went the way of the Dodo Bird.

Yep, they were great, problem with them was two fold... making them for every kit that has been released in 4 different scales, and how many you had to go through before you learned to use them correctly.....

It was a full time job all by itself keeping up with the kits, modeler inexperience, and with prices to reflect what they are actually worth in materials and time and then make a profit? It doesn't surprise me that they went away.... Great idea, very practicable for the modeler, impracticable for a long run product....

In fact you see this market effect manifest itself in kit aftermarket products all the time. New kit, New PE & Resin, after the initial pressing run and sales the Aftermarket guru's are all over it until the sales slow down to normal and the aftermarket products for that kit start disappearing from the marketplace...... The old classic kits and the kits becoming classics remain covered but the initial runs fade away fairly quickly....  I still have resin parts for some tanks from companies that have been out of business for 20 years...

About 6 months to a year after a kit release the AM will have matured and that is the buy point. But, when you buy you buy it all, if you time it right you can get everything you need for about half the initial asking price. Take the Trumpeter Hornet for example, $225.00 when initially released, (I got mine as a christmas present from the Admiral she paid $205.00. I purchased enough b-25's to do a full flight deck and several AM sets for it for another 250 ish bucks... Today, you can get the kit for $85.00 and most of the aftermarket has gone away, just the essential PE sets remain.... I"m at 450ish for what I have and today you can purchase most of what I have for less than 200.00. Some of what I have you can't find anywhere.... or was produced by one company, they went out of business and is now made by another company (for a bunch more money)...

Like anything else sometimes it's just not worth buying early....

Of course some of us wind up doing what I'm doing here, converting a kit to use current AM... Not my first time, but I only do it with models I really want to look good....

Ah, the life of a modeler....

EG

Quote:

Ok an update, basic painting done..... 

DCP_2575.JPG.dc5845022792500272e8332230688cf4.JPG

As you can see the grey has taken on a bluish tint, that is cause when I started looking at colors I realized that the light aircraft grey was just too light, almost whitish in appearance. so I went and bought a bottle of plain aircraft grey, gloss and repainted, the gloss helps with the decals and is a much more accurate color and flattens out well... I used olive drab for the seat cover and dark euro green for the survival pack. the Red is Insignia Red slightly darkened....

Anyway, decals up next then the PE, then we get to figure out the paper retaining straps....

Onwards....

Quote:

Looking good mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good mate.

OC.

Thank you brother, I's working on it....

And an unplanned update. Sometimes despite all the research and effort that goes into making good accurate parts, they flub one...

Here they flubbed one....

DCP_2576.JPG.99ded0647a3a0e9e40ab7bd5a475e4fe.JPG

The seat on the left is an optional one in the Brassin kit for the Lockheed C-2 ejection seat and is untouched. It represents what they think it should look like... Except that the protrusion sticking up an 1/8th of an inch, (4 scale inches) doesn't exist on the real seat....

C2-1.jpg.880911c7c24416a3426ac9649bbd1c82.jpg.af98345af63b81955f48eb9aac77e96d.jpg

As you can clearly see , the emergency kit only rises to the height of the seat at the back end.......

So I had to modify the seat to be accurate...

DCP_2576.JPG.99ded0647a3a0e9e40ab7bd5a475e4fe.JPG

The seat on the right represents the corrected kit part.....

I figured I would post this for those that believe that the resin AM offerings are the end all and be all of accuracy, I say that although they usually are very accurate, sometimes they can be wrong in their representations.....  It pays to do your research I always say, this is a good example.....

The seat is now corrected to match the actual item.....

EG

Quote:

They are sometimes horribly over size also  especially  seats.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Always try to model from your pictures. Directions aren't always right. And the part molds/prints aren't always right, either.

Ken

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Always try to model from your pictures.

Amen Brother...

Quote:

Been kinda busy today, so I figure that I would sit down for a relaxing build session. Give her a bit of time....

Doin seat belts.... (relaxing, right)

DCP_2577.JPG.d424a13c6de79f1459a17fe80d30ff2c.JPG

That is six parts..... I think I lost the clasp for the right side three times before I finally got the strap through the buckles web loop...

And yeah, they had to be folded as well, no glue....

Now that they are done, they get glued to the seat.....

DCP_2578.JPG.ffa07387fbfeae3539df622afdac43f4.JPG

Give a new definition to relaxing.... a few seconds of absolute concentration, an instant of OH CRAP!, and 40 minutes of searching for this microscopic part of which there is no spare....

Now that we have defined relaxation, (modelers edition) we need to get a memo off to Webster's right away... (got to get it in the next edition)

But, I'm making progress....

EG

Quote:

Looking mighty fine bro,   those PE belts are fiddly little critters aren't they?   but they do look the "Dogs ....."   though.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.