F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yep that's my absolute last option fall back position although on a model this size it will be a very expensive thing to do... Bare Metal Foil isn't cheap.....

The price of it has gone up considerably in the past few years.

You can buy it here for 5.79 per sheet, and that's not too bad. One sheet will go a long way.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Bare_Metal_Foil/Decals_and_Surface_Detailing/browse.php?s=6&t=4&man=bmf

Thanks for the link Craig...

The model is almost 17" long that needs the foil treatment... (the fuselage mainly taking two full sheets)

At 6" x 11.5" I would need a minimum of three sheets, four if I expect errors and yeah being it's me doing it, I would expect errors....

So a three pack of base chrome and a single of matte aluminum... but they are out of matte..... then I would have to figure out if it needs a transparent filter coat to cut down the shiny to a scale appearance.....

More research needed......

Thank you....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Yes, the non-ship models were pulled from the Recent Posts for the reasons given above.   The easiest way to do it is just scroll down and open up the Non-kit area.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

21 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Yes, the non-ship models were pulled from the Recent Posts for the reasons given above.   The easiest way to do it is just scroll down and open up the Non-kit area.  

We are slowlyyyyyyy    getting the hang of it,  trouble with us old folk we like consistancy  and regularity,  change throws a spanner in the works.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

12 hours ago, Egilman said:

Best modeling site on the net I say..

Agreed!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael for stopping in here... It's appreciated.... Love your work btw....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Well it's time for another update... The ugly work of cleaning off past mistakes goes on.....

DCP_2739.JPG.0b4ae1a9aa1229b29f591c83f02876c9.JPG

Pretty much just the nose left, from here a light (very light) sanding and priming in the near future.....

DCP_2740.JPG.d898ca4fb091b5404c94e7e288717a0b.JPG

Thankfully the IPA doesn't really effect cured paint, (if you don't leave it too long) but it does take off/craze cured Testors high gloss lacquer somewhat and everything else....

It doesn't matter the brush has scratched the paint in a few places so a reprime is a requirement.....

I have acquired a rattle can of Testors aluminum plate metalizer, (two more on the way) so I will be testing that on another scrap part in a few to see if what I've been told by the experts is true........

More to come...

EG

Quote:

44 minutes ago, cog said:

By the way, what's that "Carl's" thing on your bench?

Looks like a Carl's Jr soda cup to me, they are a large Hamburger fast food chain, had one here but it closed.  Like Wendy's, Burger King and McDonalds

1 hour ago, cog said:

American Gourmet

https://www.carlsjr.com/en

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

29 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

It is edible ! 

You misunderstood the qualifier Jack, "American"! Other countries have higher standards applied to the term! :)

Actually I am waiting for dinner right now  and their menu is kind of looking pretty good. :huh:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Here in the Southeast, the outlets are Hardee's. Same company. Culver's is better.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, cog said:

I am curious as to how things will evolve EG

So am I....

It's a large pop cup from a local burger joint Carl.  I hear a lot of people like their stuff, I wouldn't know, I"ve only bought pop from them... Called Carls Jr......

I don't know why they call it that.....

Quote:

Hows it going bro?    saw your earlier update  - any news since?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Looks like a Carl's Jr soda cup to me, they are a large Hamburger fast food chain, had one here but it closed.  Like Wendy's, Burger King and McDonalds

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

American Gourmet

https://www.carlsjr.com/en

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

American - yes!  Gourmet - ah ???????  It is edible ! ;)

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

You misunderstood the qualifier Jack, "American"! Other countries have higher standards applied to the term! :)

Actually I am waiting for dinner right now  and their menu is kind of looking pretty good. :huh:

45 minutes ago, Canute said:

Here in the Southeast, the outlets are Hardee's. Same company. Culver's is better.

To me it is no better than Jack-in-the-box or Wendys, they all sell basically the same things....

Me? I'm a triple whopper kind of guy when there are no earthquakes to be had..... (fair only nowadays)

Quote:

Ah yes ! A glass of Coca-Cola aka Coke, for example,  is called "pop" in some parts of US and "soda" in other parts of US, Carl.  Gets really confusing.  

5 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hows it going bro?    saw your earlier update  - any news since?

OC.

Not right now, but then my blockage between the hours of 11:00 am and 6:00 pm here has come back. I did take my test piece out to the spray area and hit it with the metalizer over everything... tomorrow I'll be buffing it up over the various finishes and see what it does.... And yeah I made sure the recommended bare styrene was there....

Should have the rest of the stripping done tonight, then have to remask the canopy after I test some clear in super clean to see how it handles clear styrene.....

And RL is trying to make itself felt..... but it will pass as well...

Quote:

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

So am I....

It's a large pop cup from a local burger joint Carl.  I hear a lot of people like their stuff, I wouldn't know, I"ve only bought pop from them... Called Carls Jr......

Here's more than you'll ever want to know....   https://allthatsinteresting.com/fast-food-restaurants-founders/3

I am partial only to they're biscuit and gravy as unless I make it myself, I can't find any place that does a decent job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Called Carls Jr......

It's Wendy's boyfriend!:D (Sorry to those of you outside of the US. It's another burger chain.)

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 minutes ago, cog said:

You know you really confirm the established impression of Americans: You only eat burgers and drink coke ... ;)

Well that what my cardiologist tells me, all the red meat I can eat.... (although I do prefer a nice medium well 20 oz. sirloin, an earthquake will pass in a pinch) and Americas favorite drink is Diet Coke and has been for at least two decades....

Quote:

Don't indulge on the diet products (like diet sodas), neither your body nor your nervous system do respond to well to a lot of artificial sweetners. It actually is quite a list.

How is the last part of cleaning moving along?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

Americas favorite drink is Diet Coke

Guess I must not be American, cuz I hate anything and everything Diet xxxxxx.  Yuck !

28 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Guess I must not be American, cuz I hare anything and everything Diet xxxxxx.  Yuck !

Amen Jack, bring on the full fat, and tasty food and drink 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

If it tastes good, it must be bad for you. I'm with Carl on the Diet stuff. Too many chemicals that aren't good for us. Juices and water for me. With the occasional adult beverage as needed. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Haven't found a fast food burger joint around here that had a burger I liked.  Arby's had a great BBQ sauce roast beef sandwich but their franchisees don't last long in my area for some reason.  Carl's Jr opened a franchise here that closed 6 months later. 

You have any Cook Outs? Grilled burgers with fresh ingredients. Made to order, so they are slow. .

Ken

I look for the small 'Mom & Pops........some of the best food comes from them  ;) 

sorry to hear of the problems you've had with the finish.  I think it has a lot to do with the 'texture' of the finish........the powder may be weakening it.  so,  when you remove the masking,  it takes the surface along with it.   I wonder if there is a way it could be mixed........it would be a more uniformed paint.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch