F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

Respect to you bro  for doing these tests  - its will be of help not just to your own build but others  also.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I used Future on the F-84 it seemed to work well usually not a big fan of sealers for the reasons you speak of and the reason I don't play with powders as much I have a bottle of SNJ powder I use for touchups.I bought some of Alchald's clear light sheen in N.Orleans the other day just to see but even Testors Metalize Clear knocked the sheen down a bit hence why I backed off for the F84 I still/forgot the OD anti-glare panel also and decals are on the future should protect them.Will be watching to see your results. ;)

4 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, the black gloss or a dark grey gloss undercoat works well. I like the steel over black on the exhaust nozzle. Looks familiar to me. :)  Great job showing your testing, too. 👌

I have a train buddy who was a master at doing the various shading of natural metal finishes, when he was an IPMS maven. He liked working with the various Alclad shadings. I think you may need several shades of the paint Carl references and apply panel by panel to get the variations you seek. I've read this technique on several aircraft modeling sites. Carl, are these paints or dry pigments you apply over the base coat?

Ken, those are redy to spray paints. No pigments. The advantage is you can work layer into layer when still wet ... but then you need to use a brush (without the air)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, thanks. I ended up with a bottle of pigment for Burnt metal, because I didn't realize they made them as a paint and a pigment. Lesson learned.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ok finished the next test, powder over Testors high gloss....

Started with the darkened metal over the dark blue....

DCP_2620.JPG.d6ef89250d585d8271faad6cf406e432.JPG

I went right up the center of the front glacis plate, you can clearly see the sheen come right back, in fact it looks even better than the original application, it looks like polished metal...

The black end....

DCP_2621.JPG.55ec1aca4bf38cd200fa3d7ecc507fd1.JPG

Here you can see it even better I did the rear plate over the fuel tank and the sheen stands out very well I also did the rear half of the left muffler cover to illustrate the difference... this looks like polished aluminium! Very good... So a base coat of color, a gloss overcoat, and the application of metal powder gives the effect we want....

Flipping it over to check the future side....

DCP_2622.JPG.6c2324d769442f013ab5247d3ddb007b.JPG

I did all three applications that were darkened by the future but just half cause I wanted to show the difference... The red came out mirror finished very reflective.... you can clearly see the difference..

DCP_2623.JPG.178de422f67df5ab52bdca5436a70da9.JPG

On the grey section the luster came back even better than before but the color remained darkened.... definitely looks like polished steel....

DCP_2624.JPG.b96f02d36a7fd51b90ad70ca01e424b9.JPG

And the flat black at the bottom corner, looks almost identical to the gloss black side... you can see the difference from one end of the test section to the other... the sheen comes back....

So I now know how to get the effects I want, now to seal it so it doesn't get damaged....

Onward..... more to come...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

EG I don't know which part you are painting, because I am not savy about armour, besides there is a lot of reflected light on your test piece, or is it white paint? Furthermore, you turn the piece around a lot which makes it impossible to compare previous versions, as the light differs that way

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

EG I don't know which part you are painting, because I am not savy about armour, besides there is a lot of reflected light on your test piece, or is it white paint? Furthermore, you turn the piece around a lot which makes it impossible to compare previous versions, as the light differs that way

I'm sorry Carl,

I was just trying to get through it as fast as possible, then show the individual steps as I apply it to the model itself.....

Didn't mean to get less than scientific, or not take the time to spell out each individual test. Was just trying to get through the testing as fast as possible by combining as many different steps as possible Painting, application, overcoating, re-application and now at final overcoating..(I hope)

I"ll try and rearrange things and break it down more if you think it will help in understanding what I was doing....

Again my apologies for trying to get there as fast as I could and not being clear...

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Ok, gonna run another set of tests...  Liquitex high gloss acrylic varnish works to a charm in sealing the metal finish down.  So I have all the steps understood... 

1. Put your color down preferably gloss but it doesn't matter Dark for light colored metals, light for dark colored metals. (I haven't figured this one out yet, I guess it has to do with depth of color)

2. Seal the paint with a gloss overcoat

3. Apply your metal powders lightly buffing to your degree of shine.

4. Seal the powder with Liquitex high gloss varnish...

What I need to figure now is how generate the different shadings I will need for the BMF....

More fresh scrap parts from the M-41....

Turret Top, I'll be using the sides one color each side

DCP_2625.JPG.5edb80e102ef7488813193d15c467c65.JPG

DCP_2626.JPG.ae6db116018d04e9db95fba9f620d2fc.JPG

When discussing them they will be in this exact same position each time I take the picture, each step of the way....

And

Turret Bottom

DCP_2627.JPG.32f927eedd4a973db7a2751c86be1cbe.JPG

DCP_2628.JPG.73ff76d3963fe1c32d1c19299eed9090.JPG

Using both sides, top for one color bottom for the other color and different than the turret top.... I can test four colors and two different powders on each color by splitting them left and right giving me eight different combinations... And yes, I'm looking for the specific combinations I will be using on the fuselage. 1. for the overall polished metal and 2. for the darker panels around the tail area....

Once this is done and I have the two combinations, I'm figuring on doing a masking test to see how well they can be masked against each other.....

And one more note... Sometimes it seems like I always make myself more work.... but once done we will all know how to do a BMF without an airbrush....

Hopefully.....

EG

Quote:

Good luck. You are already leagues beyond anything I will ever be able to do!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

33 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Thank you Lou, I think I'm going to need it... I seldom go down the experimental lane in public so pardon me if I seem nervous... I've never done this before either...

But it is about the journey and expanding our horizons isn't it......

Well, on with the journey I say... (said as I go all in on something I haven't a clue about)

Quote:

Ok first step is preparation....

Materials and tools....

DCP_2633.JPG.6ba73728dd3425491424315f0dc3e5db.JPG

1. Uschi's metal polishing powders, Chrome on the left, Steel on the right

2. Cotton cleaning Swabs, pointed compressed on the left, standard on the right

3 Cotton Balls....

4. Several large paper towels, placed under the work area to catch excess powder as it falls off your parts while buffing....

Parts preparation...

Four colors Gloss Blue Angels Blue Testors rattle can, Gloss Black Krylon Shortcuts hobby paint rattle can, Flat Light Aircraft Grey Testors rattle can and Flat Black Krylon Shortcuts hobby paint rattle can.

Gloss parts have been overcoated with Testors Ultra Gloss rattle can. (I've left the flat parts uncoated otherwise the testing of flats would be pointless wouldn't it)

First Color Gloss Blue....

DCP_2629.JPG.3d1f35597b8f1039e8fb40254a642535.JPG

Second Color Gloss Black....

DCP_2630.JPG.155cdea6a0e13414bbba9f05da69e2d5.JPG

Third Color Flat Aircraft Grey....

DCP_2631.JPG.1c975c58c13e4bfe05b9760fc112f8df.JPG

Fourth Color Flat Black....

DCP_2632.JPG.cc6780e9964bcc38d35a287c61dd79b0.JPG

Now I think it is obvious as to why the turret top is divided into four sections, two metals, on two colors....

The turret botton with the flat paints will have an extra step the left side, (side facing us, front is on the left in the above picture, rear is on the right) will also get a coat of clear and a reapplication of the powder before finish coating... Cause I'm going to also explore the color shift when covering the metal with typical gloss overcoats..... I might have a shifted color that will also work well on the fuselage of the finished project and want to document how we got there.

Ok, enough prep, time to get to metalizing....

EG

Quote:

Ok second step metalizing the parts. Remember, Chrome is on the left, Steel is on the right....

First pic over Gloss Blue...

DCP_2634.JPG.485a5c204f9f665869bc9deb78c60624.JPG

Second Pic over Gloss Black...

DCP_2635.JPG.488ae7b99558711c13f9cd56a0a56433.JPG

Third Pic over Flat Light Aircraft Grey...

DCP_2636.JPG.54d48a8d298568ef2b82e8b6f6287ade.JPG

Fourth pic over Flat Black

DCP_2637.JPG.edb99dc71aad976d2ffd2d0e85e51240.JPG

First thing I see, chrome is shinier/lighter than steel, (about a half a shade I think) Gloss Black undercoat gives more depth of color than Gloss Blue

On the flat paint, there is no direct metallic shine, but there is a serious metallic luster/sheen, (think unpolished metals) also it takes more powder to cover light colors than dark colors.... the light color gives a more raw aluminium look using chrome powder and the steel well looks like raw steel..... The dark color give serious depth of color to the metal effect I think that the metal effect on flats would be sustained under Liquitex flat varnish but I don't have any to test...

Overall initial results are good definitely looks like polished metal on gloss paint raw metal on flat paint....

Next step hit them with Testors Ultra Gloss and see how the color changes.....

Onwards...

EG

Quote:

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

Not in my opinion, this is easily doable.... You are a lot better modeler than you think my friend...

Quote:

I like your testing, EG. The pictures are good examples. I've read of folks doing this, but they don't show enough examples.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I agree with Ken  bro,   your showing the stages  step by step  - thats a great help.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Canute said:

I like your testing, EG. The pictures are good examples. I've read of folks doing this, but they don't show enough examples.

Thank you Ken, Never done it this way before, but I can see Carl's point, makes it clearer as to what is actually happening each step of the way....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I agree with Ken  bro,   your showing the stages  step by step  - thats a great help.

OC.

Thanks OC, That's why I"m doing this, trying to help and get this out in a way that is clear and repeatable.... I've seen some fantastic stuff done with these powders, hopefully I can communicate this in a useable way.....

Quote:

Ok this is where a lot of people lose enthusiasm for this medium,. once you gloss coat them using typical overcoatings, they turn dark. not at all like a polished metal surface...

Examples ....

Gloss blue....

DCP_2638.JPG.303de341b38e1e95e6741028f94371cf.JPG

Gloss Black...

DCP_2639.JPG.d4185e4bcee7d56e751f4106406e4e0c.JPG

Flat Light Aircraft Grey

DCP_2640.JPG.2d71bf879c65372c9095f77806e5efe0.JPG

Flat Black...

DCP_2641.JPG.bf5205ee17f886a5c940618660a94ae8.JPG

It's hard to describe what is happening here. They have all lost there brilliance the Glosscoat keeps them shiny but it's a surface reflectivity not a real shine... Also the color does get darker and I think it is because the glosscoat eliminates the applied metal from reflecting anything so all you get is base color...

In the first pic you can see the blue tint underlying the greyed metal finish, it looks like a painted surface not a metal one. 

In the second pic you see the same thing except it is tinted towards the black closest thing I think it resembles are metalflake surfaces like the metal powders have been encapsulated in the gloss overcoat... It's a nice effect and in some ways better than metalflake paint. but it is a painted surface not polished metal....

In the third pic over the flat light grey the actual color deepens about four shades similar in effect to what happened above but much finer I suspect that is because of the flat retaining more of the powder on it's rougher surface than the gloss paint did less of it mixes with the overcoat so it retains some of it's sheen. But it still looks like paint. The overall effect is a lighter shade of steel and the metal luster is gone...

The Fourth pic is no different the luster is gone and it looks like dark steel paint....

So we can see what happens using typical transparent overcoats for models... it destroys the metal reflectivity rendering the final product much like metalized paint...

Next step, a second powdering on each section, same as the first powdering...

I believe this will restore the reflectivity of the metal and hopefully the deep depth of the polished metal look.....

Onward...

EG

Quote:

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

You are a lot better modeler than you think my friend...

I can assemble adequately, but I can see my limited painting skill level represented in my recent efforts and I need to go a long way in that area to even reach adequate. 😞 

In the mean time I will try and learn as much as I can by closely following works like this and others. I do not have any immediate need for a polished metal finish on anything but I do have a couple of kits in stash that could benefit from the technique if I ever got to the point of building them.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I can assemble adequately, but I can see my limited painting skill level represented in my recent efforts and I need to go a long way in that area to even reach adequate. 😞  

Hey brother, I don't buy it, I'm no artist, all I can do is replicate what others have done before me... you are no different, keep reading and practicing.... 

I used to look at those pics of the real great modelers and believed that I could never do that... I still can't in fact. so I just di what looks good to me and eventually others started saying that it looks nice...

That happens enough and you realize that you are getting better.... just keep hacking plastic and it will come. What I do today is absolute evidence of that being true.....

We all start somewhere and none of us were any good at it when we started.... 

I'll make a deal with ya, ten years from now when I hopefully get good at this, come back and tell me what you think then, and I'll do the same for you....

Like I said, your better at this than you think my friend.......

Quote:

44 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I'll make a deal with ya, ten years from now when I hopefully get good at this, come back and tell me what you think then, and I'll do the same for you....

That conversation may have to take the form of a seance at the rate I'm going! 😞

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Here we go... Ready for some magic? It was pretty disappointing to see the metalized finish go away in the last set of pics... But here is where it is all worthwhile....

Uschi's powders really shine in replicating polished metals....

Gloss Blue....

DCP_2642.JPG.7a97232a3121272619b568db9aa5cc23.JPG

The sheen is back! and the blue tint remains... (I'll have a follow up shot after the four main images)

Gloss Black...

DCP_2643.JPG.c4692a524b6e4f3263e500ab175df47b.JPG

Oh my, you can see the reflection in the chrome side and a hint of it in the steel side, I suspect lighting is going to have a huge effect on seeing this. but All I can tell you is it's spectacular.... DEFINITELY polished metal, no doubt about that...

Flat Light Grey....

DCP_2644.JPG.3d6825cfe2f4fa57e390289b00a04bee.JPG

Still darker than initially applied but the metal sheen has come back! you have to see it in real life it looks like freshly buffed metal on both sides....

Flat Black...

DCP_2645.JPG.c24a866cc7bc39daf7f7493223fca44d.JPG

This looks like freshly machined metal......

The second application of powder makes this stand out... A polished bare metal surface on plastic by hand using nothing but rattle cans and q-tips...

I'm amazed..... 

Ok I know the pics don't show it that well so I took a few oblique shots hoping to pick up some of the reflectiveness and shine of the surfaces....

Blue...

DCP_2646.JPG.39b6f6f490d30297346f924cf5cdbd5a.JPG

Black...

DCP_2647.JPG.509a53c76934e78355808f8a14a17ee8.JPG

This is it, this is the finish I'm going to use. A few more shots showing the reflectivity and sheen....

DCP_2649.JPG.020dbeb42ec8d17772fe163b5ff6bbcb.JPG

DCP_2650.JPG.1fc064f87ec226cb2ed2bc98abea2fa7.JPG

DCP_2651.JPG.d74bd50d3e49b70c10ee0c055289a990.JPG

It's got that deep reflective look I want highly polished aluminium..... Gloss black base coat.... Chrome powder..... double layered...

That's my overall finish, the steel panels on the tail are going to be flat light gray masked to the panel with steel powder.....

This is stunningly beautiful....

I have to sit for a few and get over my excitement....

BMF without an airbrush.... Now I've seen everything....

Quote:

I.m really impressed with how that has gone  - you can see how it has changed and how it has become a really shiny  - great stuff  bro.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Congratulations EG. Can't wait to see it applied to the 104. Should make it shine! (Pun intended) :D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

These picsies I can work wih EG. I think it is quite logical you loose the metal sheen when you cover it with lacquer. It's like modern car paints, you don't see a gloss lacquer, you see varnish. To me it seems you are comparing two different substances/materials. I don't think you will get the same lustre with pigments and clear gloss lacquer/varnish as you would with "metal" paint

Carl

24 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That conversation may have to take the form of a seance at the rate I'm going! 😞

Nah it won't take that long, we all know that RL interferes with modeling and that is normal. And some have more of it than others do.... (especially with our states predicament given the "disaster" declaration....

It will get back to normal my friend.... just not fast enough for some of us.... 

Quote:

27 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I.m really impressed with how that has gone  - you can see how it has changed and how it has become a really shiny  - great stuff  bro.

OC.

Thank you OC, I think it's going to work wonderful...

22 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Congratulations EG. Can't wait to see it applied to the 104. Should make it shine! (Pun intended) :D

Thanks Lou, I have to wait, I still have one more test, sealing it so finger oils don't destroy it....

22 minutes ago, cog said:

These picsies I can work wih EG. I think it is quite logical you loose the metal sheen when you cover it with lacquer. It's like modern car paints, you don't see a gloss lacquer, you see varnish. To me it seems you are comparing two different substances/materials. I don't think you will get the same lustre with pigments and clear gloss lacquer/varnish as you would with "metal" paint

Well we will see, the recommended sealing product is Liquitex high gloss clear varnish, I still have to apply it to these and wait for a couple of hours for it to cure..... My initial test shows that it doesn't discolor it anything like the model grade gloss clears. In fact I think if I went to an automotive grade gloss clear when sealing the paint and over the first application of powder the results would be even better...

But in a few hours we will know.....

I'm happy that the organization of this experiment showed you what you wanted to see..... Well I'm doing this one with Uschi's powders, and we have an F-86 BMF being done in Alclad, what we need is some enterprising soul to do a B-58 in Extreme Metal Color paints that would leave Bare Metal Foil as the only BMF technique not done here...

I've seen some very pretty aircraft done with the other systems but they all have one thing in common, they need an airbrush for best results...  This doesn't... Not that I'm against airbrushes or don't know how to use them, I've just never had the need sufficient to justify the extra expense.... everything I've done in modeling has been done the old fashioned way, rattle can and sable brush....

It's what I learned and what I know.... (really, what I'm most comfortable with)

Thanks Carl, I'll get the finish pics up when ready in the same layout so we can see how it finished off...... so far everything I"ve investigated and read about these powders has been true and accurate. I expect the final sealing to be the same.... (but we will see for ourselves, if I don't flub it up)

EG

Quote:

Ok now, final test, Sealing the metal finish off...

First up the gloss blue

I pulled the cross tape so you can see the original base paint coat....

DCP_2652.JPG.1b367f27fb8129e69b9e38a125aac36c.JPG

And the coloration and sheen are the same, no real perceivable difference....

Gloss Black base...

DCP_2653.JPG.b30106113a101287825bca3c0e014794.JPG

Oh Yeah! the sheen and reflectiveness is still there Yay!

Flat Light Grey...

DCP_2654.JPG.6542b2481797f88f9dc45535b9f37b68.JPG

I'm loving this, perfect!

Flat Black...

DCP_2655.JPG.8e6f955f9d68ae7a9add640e20db88df.JPG

Yep. the Liquitex clear varnish does not change the coloration...nor the depth..... I have a few more shots like before to see if we still have the depth in the shine...

DCP_2656.JPG.a40d0afbde5cf3ee10709c6a1d5a02af.JPG

YES!

DCP_2657.JPG.9c57eb29c9cb2260be49706853bdda0c.JPG

Now I"m pumped, It Works....

DCP_2658.JPG.412321942985fbd6096e5ae18a1c5d2a.JPG

Even the flat base sheen is there!...

DCP_2659.JPG.ca656c61bc2aebd172b75ff2523509c4.JPG

That perfect coloration for the aft steel panels...

This came out a lot better than I thought it was going to... You've all heard that some things are too good to believe? well for me this was one of them.

But, it turns out that it was true... You can put a polished metal finish on plastic without an expensive airbrush.....

There you go my friends.... Experiment over...

Next up finishing prepping the fuselage for paint...... Gloss Black 

EG

Quote:

So, Getting on with the build.... I've fitted the tail and am now starting on fitting all the various panels with canopy glue so when I paint this I get even coverage....

DCP_2660.JPG.9604a05bbe7a60daadacfac80646faeb.JPG

Fuselage laid out....

EG

Quote: