F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

So does that mean you are hanging up your white mad scientist lab coat?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

So does that mean you are hanging up your white mad scientist lab coat?

For the time being brother, at least until I have another problem to resolve.... {chuckle, besides I'm crazy enough already I don't need any more practice}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

8 hours ago, cog said:

Nice results EG. 

Thanks Carl, I tried real hard to make it clear for all to see... and show the steps...

Now I just have to do it for real....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

1 hour ago, cog said:

Piece of cake! (for you that is)

Fingers crossed, If there is a way to screw it up I will find it... (trust me)

Quote:

Today's update before a trip to the doc.... (nothing major)

Well getting the fuselage ready for paint I noticed something with the tail....2146782340_DCP_26614.JPG.f4a86987e83236eeedc871c135c96f5d.JPG

The base of the tail above the engine...

1198796801_DCP_26610.JPG.7ea8f7d585ae048f7072ea437e73099b.JPG

It doesn't look like that in real life I can tell you....

281517699_DCP_26611.jpg.ef59ce13f91bc972d6e8e2f6c15be09f.jpg1702054183_DCP_26612.jpg.5b6359664b49e6dc4820bfd38b7cc162.jpg1931698486_DCP_26613.jpg.60baf79b618ea5dd12cd2bf624ba6f66.jpg

Something we gotta fix...... It will show....

DCP_2662.JPG.38cbba02bef696df43495ba1be339ff7.JPG

DCP_2663.JPG.b35c3a857e73da3a3e6e01aea47d0f20.JPGDCP_2665.JPG.f2af37cda32d4b15c1d6853133685d98.JPG

Clamping in a piece of .010 plastic card to cover the hole...

DCP_2666.JPG.2612a7420ea3719d2a73e62a08299242.JPGDCP_2667.JPG.fd8105f4e8fb6e29d5d912f0f99a0319.JPG

Glued in and rough shaped.....

DCP_2668.JPG.2b6838a1720ea24b931eb5a5e3bba6dd.JPGDCP_2669.JPG.49aad666527a09c4b129a772ee7309b4.JPG

Sanded smooth.... 

DCP_2670.JPG.6a6c0499c482d3419343dfffb46606a0.JPG

Done, no more unsightly hole in the tail......

Little things like this, you would think that even for a 40+ year old kit, that was considered the top of the art when it was produced would get something this simple......

Any way getting closer to paint and finishing...

EG

Quote:

Nice catch with the void in the tail.That may have even been a section of titanium. Most jets, of slightly newer vintage in that era, and later, had some in those hot areas.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

17 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nice catch with the void in the tail.That may have even been a section of titanium. Most jets, of slightly newer vintage in that era, and later, had some in those hot areas.

Thanks Ken, the three pics I got are of museum aircraft so that section is cleaned up quite a bit. (you can easily see the dust layer inside the AB chambers)

The inflight pics I have all show it as black like the engine nozzle.... 

So what I think I"m going to do is color it the same as the engine nozzle... it is seeable but is not a huge noticeable feature

Quote:

Next decision... Wings..

DCP_2671.JPG.9c629d20c7c4a57f2caf43f1d0740c2d.JPG

Not a whole lot of wing there. there is some small gaps between the fuselage and wings, I"m debating on whether to glue the wings on now and mask them off for painting, this will allow me to fill the gaps with Mr Surfacer. Or, leave them off and deal with the gaps after painting....

The wings get painted pure white top and bottom on this bird.... (most standard USAF F-104's had whit wings on top and aircraft grey on the bottom, but for a short period they were white top and bottom...

Another question, when running and approaching take off or after landing, the flaps are always down, 45 degrees and at take off the slats are down 45 degrees also.... But when at rest on the tarmac they are both at zero.... (and locked that way) same thing with the airbrake panels, after landing they are out, when parked they are retracted.....

Any suggestions? the video of Blue Jay Four shows the aircraft moving on the ground with the brake panels extended. (which is a discontinuity in the episode, if the aircraft is being scrambled they wouldn't be extended, I don't think too many people knew the difference) 

EG

DCP_2672.JPG

DCP_2673.JPG

Quote:

As Nick wrote: Glue, fill, sand, prime, [correct, prime,] paint.

There is no way you'll be able to solve the gap problem without messing up your previous paint effort. My favourite youtube modeller (PLASMO) said in his Lamborghini Aventador build that he preferred to glue all parts of the body so he can avoid nasty gaps after painting and then glueing it together. It is nearly impossible to correct it afterwards. Incidentally, I have the same experience

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, fnick said:

Having run into problems on my last car build where I had to fill after painting... I would glue,fill,paint. 

My 1.6 pence worth

Nick

3 hours ago, cog said:

As Nick wrote: Glue, fill, sand, prime, [correct, prime,] paint.

There is no way you'll be able to solve the gap problem without messing up your previous paint effort. My favourite youtube modeller (PLASMO) said in his Lamborghini Aventador build that he preferred to glue all parts of the body so he can avoid nasty gaps after painting and then glueing it together. It is nearly impossible to correct it afterwards. Incidentally, I have the same experience

Thanks Nick,

Thanks Carl,

Right off the bat, that settles it for me... besides I can use the wings as handles when doing the very delicate metal powders...... I can see the high spots on the wing where they contact the fuselage so that will be my first step getting them to conform as much as possible... 

As far as the rest of the details the dropped flaps and extended speed brakes, I think I'm going to cut out the flaps and drop them as it looks better and is the look shown in the episode, which also means the brakes will be open... Otherwise it will look a bit plain....

Anyway, thank you gentlemen.... the course is now set...

EG

Quote:

Ok I"m fickle... I've changed my mind, I'm not going to cut the flaps out and I"m going to close the speed brakes, that is the natural way it would be sitting on the ramp. And that is how it would be sitting on my shelf..... I have yet to see an action pic with the doors open and the flaps not lowered. what I found is that unlike some other kits where you can just cut them out and reglue, there is a LOT more work to getting it to look right. The flaps are hinged within the wing trailing edge, which means that no gap shows when they are down. So that means not only cutting them off, relieving the trailing edge and changing the leading edge so the flap fits within the wing yet holds it's rotational position. With no gaps..... A lot more than I'm willing to put into this build at the current time. 

Like I've said before, I can easily create myself a lot more work...

Not this time already enough on my plate here....

EG

Quote:

I get you bro,   some flaps have actuation hinges also  - that in itself could be a headache   as they would be different from the in flight flush versions.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Ok I"m fickle... I've changed my mind, I'm not going to cut the flaps out and I"m going to close the speed brakes, that is the natural way it would be sitting on the ramp. And that is how it would be sitting on my shelf..... I have yet to see an action pic with the doors open and the flaps not lowered. what I found is that unlike some other kits where you can just cut them out and reglue, there is a LOT more work to getting it to look right. The flaps are hinged within the wing trailing edge, which means that no gap shows when they are down. So that means not only cutting them off, relieving the trailing edge and changing the leading edge so the flap fits within the wing yet holds it's rotational position. With no gaps..... A lot more than I'm willing to put into this build at the current time. 

Like I've said before, I can easily create myself a lot more work...

Not this time already enough on my plate here....

EG

Chickening out ... ?

(Let's see if EG goes for the bait)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

2 hours ago, cog said:

Chickening out ... ?

(Let's see if EG goes for the bait)

Wiggly worms on hooks is not my idea of a gourmet meal....

QUACK,  Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack................

It's too late anyway I've already glued the wings....

Quote:

6 hours ago, cog said:

The odd chicken ... (instead of the regular duck in the expression)

{chuckle} Enigmatic I say...

Quote:

Small update for today, Almost ready for Mr Surfacer and primer...

DCP_2674.JPG.bc53750db7974dce92531d479926ee92.JPG

And the undersides...

DCP_2675.JPG.6d1ee3d91d2bbc103844bd9bcc843eca.JPG

The front landing gear doors are only tacked on with canopy glue and I'm leaving the main gear doors off, there is too much surgery I would have to do with them to get them to sit flush so I'll do those separate from the fuselage....

The Radome gets painted Aircraft Grey with a black anti glare panel matched to the canopy line so it doesn't need to be mounted right now... as well as the wing tanks and horizontal live tail which will get the BMF treatment as well....

Onwards....

And thank you for all the likes and reparte' It's appreciated....

EG

Quote:

Been slow the last few days... Haven't  posted here since wednesday and today's friday.....

Well I have no pics today but I did work on the intakes. They have to be done first at least the insides do... they are BMF inside as well as outside... and they have one heck of a joint that is going to need filling where they attach to the fuselage. it will need to be fixed before I can do the fuselage...

So the intake insides get done first....

Tried it once already, stripped it off once already.... Trying again....

EG

Quote:

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Been slow the last few days... Haven't  posted here since wednesday and today's friday.....

Well I have no pics today but I did work on the intakes. They have to be done first at least the insides do... they are BMF inside as well as outside... and they have one heck of a joint that is going to need filling where they attach to the fuselage. it will need to be fixed before I can do the fuselage...

So the intake insides get done first....

Tried it once already, stripped it off once already.... Trying again....

EG

Keep up the good work brov, looking forward to seeing more progress pics.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

For some reason it seems like the site has not been showing all the updates on posts that I watch and it seems a lot has happened since Monday when I was last informed on this post

I personally think that if you have no intent of including the pilot, then the slats, flaps and brakes would all be in the home position. The slats and flaps would be used for takeoff and landings and the brakes on or after the wheels hit the runway to slow down as fast as possible. As far as I know the 105 had no reverse thrust clam shell or any other means of rapidly slowing the rather fast approach and touchdown speeds we all know they had. Once the aircraft slowed below a certain speed these surfaces would become fairly useless and would in all probability be retracted. All this would need a pilot in the front office.

I know you have gone well beyond this part now but I thought I would throw my 1.6 in as well. Probably only worth .95 now. Carry on!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou, yeah, I'm not getting my updates as well... Site seems a little slow the last few days also, no where near the activity there was a couple of days ago... I guess now that the covid chains are coming off and we are heading into summer it going to slow down a bit...

Yep, I reasoned it out a while back, when she was sitting still parked, everything was at zero position slats, flaps and brakes... no pilot and an open canopy.... everything is shut or neutral...

So that's how I'm building her besides I didn't need the extra work of making an accurate flap connection to the wing.......

Second stab at BMF on the shock cones, splitters and intake tunnels I need to finish them first cause once they are mounted to the fuselage I have no access to do it... Just the interiors mind you, I can stuff the openings and mask off the cones to keep paint from getting in there when I do the whole fuselage...

Some gloss black paint....

DCP_2678.JPG.0251fa921e53c20e4d6baf02ad084e1d.JPG

And some metal powder....

DCP_2679.JPG.af35e4654db923fc7cdc241370306af0.JPG

DCP_2680.JPG.d5682e255fb3bc03b97a0930ecfd28ca.JPG

Jeese louise! that looks like real polished metal...

Now I get to take them back out to the paint area and rattle can them with ultra gloss overcoat in prep for the second metal session....

More later....

EG

Quote:

Loving that metal finish   - gonna look swell with the paintwork.

I was thinking the same with it seeming really really quiet.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Ok I've done the steps, buffed them up, there isn't much to see looking down the intakes but a gleam.....

DCP_2681.JPG.0ffaf60889f2659df0716471c6dcb7d1.JPG

Now that is about what I see when I've had the chance to look down the throats of a zipper... You don't see much but a gleam.... maybe a few flashes from time to time.....

A couple of angled shots of the shock cones poking out of the intake plenum....

DCP_2682.JPG.0a3e008b044576894b24283ae10ea7c1.JPG

DCP_2683.JPG.a86533e1f0f33415e7e09dd501e60cd6.JPG

Not much, but they appear dark, the way they are supposed to when reflecting the interior of the intakes...

They weren't glued together yet cause I wanted to show you what this stuff looks like when done....

DCP_2684.JPG.c3f4764eb0c8177691c8ebb0a65e2912.JPG

Not reflective as in mirror, you can't see your face in them, but they do reflect colors as you can see and shine shine shine....

That's the polished metal look if I ever saw it...

Ok, time to put them together and mount them to the fuselage....

EG

Quote:

😃the metal finish looks stunning EG. 

I think the lack of notifications is due to the changes being made.

Keep up the brilliant work (🙄pun intended)

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looking VERY good.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nicely done with the metal process. The reflectivity is very good. I wouldn't expect mirror finishes on operational jets, unless they were going to an airshow and they'd buff up everything. Thank God for camouflage paint jobs; no shining that stuff up, unless you're the Thunderbirds/Blue Angels and similar demo teams.

Yeah, the frequent updates here in this sub-forum are crowding out the actual ship builds. You can't follow these builds on the front page. I'm OK with that. The techniques discussed here are applicable to most modeling disciplines working with styrene and other materials. Model on!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Yea, the took this sub forum off the recent updates as Ken said.  Just go to the top of the log and click the follow button, set up notifications as you wish. I just click the "unread content I follow" button when I log in, takes right to all the updates here. 

BTW Great job on the painting.