F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" by Egilman - Minicraft/Hasegawa - 1/32nd Scale

22 minutes ago, Canute said:

They include 2 seat kits for the 1 seat? I'm assuming the dark grey widget is the seat rail or some other cockpit details.

No Ken, it's one seat, the dark grey part is the vertical ejection rails in styrene. The brassin seat kit comes with a resin seat, resin cushions, (two options) and a styrene full rail piece then the photoetch.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

What I called the seat kit is the part you sit on in an ejection seat bird; you called it the cushion, with 2 options. Nomenclature.  The seat kit is the survival gear storage. That real "cushion" is about a foot deep with a 1 man raft and a bag holding all the rest of the gear. All tied to the pilot's harness via a big clasp.

You look like you have a jigsaw puzzle going on there, rearranging parts to build the cockpit.:D Ain't it fun.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

25 minutes ago, Canute said:

What I called the seat kit is the part you sit on in an ejection seat bird; you called it the cushion, with 2 options. Nomenclature.  The seat kit is the survival gear storage. That real "cushion" is about a foot deep with a 1 man raft and a bag holding all the rest of the gear. All tied to the pilot's harness via a big clasp.

You look like you have a jigsaw puzzle going on there, rearranging parts to build the cockpit.:D Ain't it fun.

Well, it does "act" like a cushion while the pilot is flyin, it's when he is in the air and ain't flyin that it functions in it's other role....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Believe me, it ain't no cushion. It;s a thin piece of cloth, usually nomex these days, over a fiberglass seat bottom. Sit on 1 for 8-10 hours and you're a cripple. :(

Much better seats in the Boeing tanker. Real cushions. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

18 minutes ago, Canute said:

Believe me, it ain't no cushion. It;s a thin piece of cloth, usually nomex these days, over a fiberglass seat bottom. Sit on 1 for 8-10 hours and you're a cripple. :(

Much better seats in the Boeing tanker. Real cushions. ;)

Oh I've had my share of what the government calls a cushion... I was just joshin.... 

You look like you have a jigsaw puzzle going on there, rearranging parts to build the cockpit.:D Ain't it fun.

Yeah, I could use four or five more....

Quote:

Ok, I've started hacking plastic.....

DCP_2550.JPG.2e90bad4e29b3f99184ecaf317f08062.JPG

Those two little nubbins got to go, they hold up the rudder pedals, not going to work with the PE.....

DCP_2551.JPG.3c7a659f4fff4244633a8da63f03acc0.JPG

Cutting the right side, I have to cut it along the floor cause I need to keep that slot on the back, it glues to the front wheel well to set it's location in the fuselage....

DCP_2552.JPG.8529c32d747038fd6b89708615c9106e.JPG

Cutting the left side.....

DCP_2553.JPG.81852699d79c8a1b0e2c9ad007624069.JPG

Completely separated now... I should be able to get some measurements on how much I need to add to the sides...

DCP_2556.JPG.ce887d491a6780b877a36c306a708f60.JPG

I know it's difficult to see but it measures a hair more than 1/8th of an inch. I think what I"m going to do is replace the floor with new rather than try and retain the old, this will give me a clean tub to work with and the seat was designed for a tub type cockpit.... the parts wall thickness is 46 thousandths so I will use 40 to make the sides, it will also allow me to create a crossbar support for the rudder pedals PE, then they will dangle like they are supposed to....

Quote:

When I saw the saw  excuse the pun,  I nearly hid under the bed   always one of those "hold your breath moments"

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

When I saw the saw  excuse the pun,  I nearly hid under the bed   always one of those "hold your breath moments"

OC

You get used to them my friend, and, they are an absolutely necessary tool if your going to work with resin.....

Quote:

So we started the process of deepening the cockpit tub by cutting off the bottom.....

Then we cut two pieces of plastic card to glue to the outsides of the side panels of the old cockpit....

DCP_2557.JPG.e14cd5e16f6b0da1f7db2422bbf8ab1e.JPG

Once glued, they are trimmed to length....

DCP_2558.JPG.d98b1a05b8aeb7c1947ae98e4e42b75c.JPG

then using the old base as a pattern we cut another piece of plastic card to represent the new floor....

DCP_2559.JPG.82728c8e6dc4aa59a09f166e96a02044.JPG

Rescaling is complete but we still need to fit it to the fuselage.......

DCP_2560.JPG.4b8ec0b3fc85f22f5b55a3d5d6aaaf37.JPG

Now fitted into the fuselage all that is left is to check the ejection seat for proper fit in the new extended tub....

DCP_2561.JPG.ee1ad1cf4e4aa26436348058b15edd1f.JPG

And finally the seat in proportion to the rebuilt cockpit tub... I still need to figure a way to locate and mount the rudder pedals, but the hard part is done....

DCP_2562.JPG.db38b2485c9743841b59abf90db7d46b.JPG

Now to sand off the side panels and check the stick position in relation to the instrument panel and we are good to go....

Next up final fitting....

EG

Quote:

Nice job on the cockpit rework. Just kill the white Evergreen styrene. It washes out the two shots fitting the cockpit to the fuselage. 👍

Ken

44 minutes ago, Canute said:

Nice job on the cockpit rework. Just kill the white Evergreen styrene. It washes out the two shots fitting the cockpit to the fuselage. 👍

Thank you Ken, not quite finished fitting yet, before I put any grey paint on it I need to finish with the plastic cutting and gluing... Still have the center doghouse to make and mount the rudder pedals... before I paint it...

I'll get up a shot when the conversion is all said an done before I fit it out with the PE...

Quote:

I thought that there was a lot of cutting and hacking in needed in my Huey First Class section to make it better it looks like you hold the trophy now. In addition your First Class section is smaller as well. Looking good.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

I thought that there was a lot of cutting and hacking in needed in my Huey First Class section to make it better it looks like you hold the trophy now. In addition your First Class section is smaller as well. Looking good.

Well Lou, if someone out there would help us out and make an aftermarket set for this venerable old bird, I wouldn't have this hacking problem....

Quote:

Man, this is going to be one tight fit.....

DCP_2563.JPG.cfc5f35e3364a684730266edcead1727.JPG

First class accomodations only I guess.....

Quote:

Looking good mate   - the cockpit is like the  Wok of the meal  - the more interesting detail you put in it  - the more tasty the meal will be.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

All too true, OC, but you must be able to see the goodies. At this and larger scales, we can see them. If you did this at 1/72, your sanity would be questioned.😉

Ken

Ok I think I'm ready for paint..... Light Aircraft Grey....

DCP_2564.JPG.9f982c00b5cd7a3e3a3b8bcb1c268c64.JPG

Yes the seat gets painted Grey also....

C2-1.jpg.880911c7c24416a3426ac9649bbd1c82.jpgC2-2.jpg.51069c51b84881de3cd77f3390732306.jpg

C2-3.jpg.905728290ea8f6e3bb6bc1d770d75648.jpg

C2-4.jpg.99ab3fca95a0501dab480565402598db.jpg

C2-5.jpg.56131fa724392938bc8d4e2a05bad4fb.jpgC2-6.jpg.2064a3295c7c48d299d50dba634a7692.jpg

C2-7.jpg.321a8188b1c01efff32def08bd78562e.jpgf104c2.jpg.568ee951b08e641ad089f4f8eef51b7d.jpg

The last three pics show the seat with the pilots parachute still attached, sometimes they would leave the chute in the airplane cockpit still attached to the seat....

Off to paint parts....

EG

Quote:

Those are great reference photos for the seats, EG. Just what you need for a project like this.

Just now, Canute said:

All too true, OC, but you must be able to see the goodies. At this and larger scales, we can see them. If you did this at 1/72, your sanity would be questioned.😉

Ken, what kind of training did you receive for the unfortunate event where you had to use the ejection seat? My brother in law told me some horror stories about pilots who ejected and suffered serious injuries and death. Was the training aircraft specific? I've also wondered how the readiness of the ejection system is checked and verified.

We had a T-33 seat we were strapped into, when I was in pilot training. It had a ballistic charge to propel us up some rails to about 50 feet or so. Got all hooked up, assumed the position with your helmet pressed into the headrest and pulled the side handle. POW up the rails and get lowered back down. That was it in 1970. I did para sailing, pulled behind a truck for land parachute training and an AF Twin Merc cruiser off an AF LCM in Biscayne Bay for water survival training.

We did a lot of other egress training, as it was termed, when we got into the Phantom. Yeah, it's very aircraft specific. Although, nowadays, at least, the ejection seat used by most of our jets is the ACES II. I flew that twice, about 40 years ago. Much easier to strap in due to no leg garters. I'll explain.

The Martin Baker seat required a number of connections via straps to the seat. Calf, thigh, butt(seat kit), lap-belt, parachute risers, plus comms, mask and g-suit. The leg stuff kept you from flailing legs, the butt clips were to keep you and the survival kit/one man raft connected. Since the "chute was built into the seat, you needed those. Proper upper body position was via the overhead handle rings or the one between your legs. Preferred was the one 'tween your legs, but on takeoff, that one would be hard to get at with the stick back into your lap. Again you had to assume the position. There is/was always a risk of compression injuries to the back, getting fired out of the cockpit. The seat started with ballistic charges sending you up the rails. A 6' lanyard, attached to the bottom of the seat, fired the rockets to shoot you up and way over the tail. I had one guy get a flail injury to his shoulder, due to his loose helmet coming off, flinging his arm back and chipping the end of his should bone. He was grounded about 3 months. The fatalities were usually due to ejecting outside the seat capability (too fast, too close to the ground in an unusual attitude).

The F-104 was designed as a high altitude interceptor and the seat fired down. I think the B-58 did a similar ejection envelope. I believe the first one the Europeans got had these seat and when the need to bail, since they were flying low... The G model they ended up with had  a normal upward firing seat.

Ken

4 hours ago, Canute said:

The F-104 was designed as a high altitude interceptor and the seat fired down. I think the B-58 did a similar ejection envelope. I believe the first one the Europeans got had these seat and when the need to bail, since they were flying low... The G model they ended up with had  a normal upward firing seat.

Your a stick and rudder guy so I'm not going to argue with actual experience and knowledge brother, Thank you for your service....

On the other hand facts are facts... The F-104 had a downward firing ejection seat when originally designed true, but, it didn't last long. (I think only the first 70 or so had them) The issue was the speed of the aircraft and not having a powerful enough catapult motor to clear the tail fin at the speeds the aircraft was capable of flying..... so downward was the order of the day... The evolution of the seat started with the Stanley "B" model, There is this story from a test pilot of an ejection from a YF-104 over Rodgers Dry Lake....

Anyway the entire history of the F-104's ejection seats is here.... (it's where I got the pics from)

The "C" model was the first model intentionally designed with an upward firing seat, ALL the "A" models were upgraded to the same seat the "C" model had the (Stanley designed/built) Lockheed C-2....

Chuck Yeager also describes his experience with the C-2 system during flight testing his YF-104A.....

The europeans didn't like the failure rate of the C-2 system so had a Martin Baker Seat system similar to your F-4 system retrofitted to the Lockheed rails....

Quote:

I stand corrected then, EG. Too many old war-stories about that jet. Thank you. ;)😀

Ken

Well parts are painted in light aircraft grey.... 

DCP_2565.JPG.cba4b059d8f10c9f5d5d9d9c1742b92a.JPG

I painted the upper surface of the wheel well (hidden when assembled) in light ghost grey to give the contrast of the two colors I have....

The issue is this, one seat I have pics of appears a very blueish grey, the other appears a neutral grey.....

C2-1.jpg.ed28881ffb59a530f1f2d5ac00f3b0d8.jpgC2-5.jpg.dd0827e79c32c63051121bd2be961390.jpg

Either color will work I suppose and of course the lighting on the two shots is completely different.... 

To me, the neutral gray seems to be the more natural color as the bluish tint comes from intense white light.... (learned that on the Bandit trailers grey paint) Intense white light flashes tends to show distance background detail in darkened backgrounds as well which you see in the blue tinted pic... Where in the "normal" light pic the backgrounds are just dark like they should be....

Any one else have an opinion? both pics look good.... and I know we have an airplane driver from this era here.... Suggestions?

I'm leaning towards the natural light neutral grey.......

EG

Quote:

The right hand picture looks better to my old Mark 1, Mod 1 eyes. The headrest is more brick red, the safety gear looks more correct red and the green gear looks right, too.

I can't believe the seat cushion is so fluffy, for lack of a better word. Every seat I ever sat on or looked at in a fighter was pretty hard. The seat kit, dark green box under the cushion, always amazed me how they stuffed a 1 man raft, with a gas inflation bottle, a ruck sack full of gear and an emergency locator beeper radio into it.

Ken

25 minutes ago, Canute said:

I stand corrected then, EG. Too many old war-stories about that jet. Thank you. ;)😀

Yeah there are a lot of them out there about our favorite aircraft.....  some of them are great, others stretch the truth a bit, but that's part of the fun of this. Drives me to learn more about it....

Quote:

4 minutes ago, Canute said:

The right hand picture looks better to my old Mark 1, Mod 1 eyes. The headrest is more brick red, the safety gear looks more correct red and the green gear looks right, too.

I can't believe the seat cushion is so fluffy, for lack of a better word. Every seat I ever sat on or looked at in a fighter was pretty hard. The seat kit, dark green box under the cushion, always amazed me how they stuffed a 1 man raft, with a gas inflation bottle, a ruck sack full of gear and an emergency locator beeper radio into it.

Yeah that's what I thought, the silvery green nylon of the chute, the kahki of the restraint net, all look like examples of military equipment in those materials I've seen with my Mk1 eyeballs also...

I think that "Cushion" was actually the drogue chute used to slow down the pilot after separation... but I could be wrong... Some of the stuff they could pack into relatively tiny compartments was amazing, just the material engineering boggles the mind......

Quote:

5 hours ago, Canute said:

I think the B-58 did a similar ejection envelope

The B-58 had ejection capsules.....

B-58_Escape_Capsule.jpg.ea76f8b550b4a59fe02a0c20a022bd79.jpg

Quote:

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

Ejection at supersonic speeds without a capsule would defeat the purpose, as it would almost certainly result in death.

As the two examples of a mach 1+ ejection from a starfighter proved...... But when your at the point of pulling that handle, it's the only path away from certain death.... last option type stuff. (and the F-104 got there very very quickly)

Quote:

I flew with a guy who ejected at a  high rate of speed. He was grounded for months, but eventually did get to fly again. Multiple waivers for stuff, like the special boot for one leg shorter than the other. Great guy, too. I forget what he was flying when he bailed out, but I knew him at Eglin, in Phantoms.

The MB seat drogue chute was on top of the seat in the F-4 to slow and stabilize the seat. There was a barostat that senses a set altitude and we would separate from the seat with our seat kit and parachute. Think the altitude was 11,500'. Below that altitude, we just separated and the chute deployed. You guys are going to make me drag out my flight manual to check all this stuff. ;)

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

You guys are going to make me drag out my flight manual to check all this stuff.

It's just part of the journey brother.... it's interesting to us non-stick and rudder fellas.... (but no requirement my friend, some L&D situations are difficult for some to recount, we understand) 

Just a reminder of what many put themselves at risk of for the rest of us..... Thank you sometimes is just not enough, but thank you anyways

Quote: