HMS Victory by Daveruss - Panart - 1/78 scale

Hi all,

New to this forum so please bare with me. I have just started building this Panart 1/78 scale version of HMS Victory and thought I would share my experiences here. I’m retired and live on a Scottish island and needed a new hobby, wooden ship building. Experienced I’m not I would call myself average.

This the third kit I have made the previous two both being Caldercraft, HMS Sherborne and HMAV Bounty. Caldercraft kits are great but wanted to build a decent size Victory that didn’t require a bank loan to purchase. 

Anyway, let’s see where this goes.

219F4E16-2DCA-4E42-979F-59DFB889522B.jpeg

The supplied manual in several languages appeared a little vague so I downloaded and printed the English instructions from the Mantua web site which were better but you still need the original booklet as it has photos that the downloaded version doesn’t have and visa versa.

First steps went well all parts fitted OK if just a little tight, instructions were adequate.503AA821-14C9-4AAF-BE9D-F218C307C940.thumb.jpeg.c61d31ebff02d34c81fb90154425631d.jpeg

Project is coming along with no major issues so far. Great care and strong clamps are required when bending the dummy gun decks at the bow. Take your time and be gentle with the pressure or you will crack or break them. I managed to get away with just a slight crack in one.

One thing I certainly didn’t expect with this kit is that all the main decks are now pre planked. Planking wood is supplied but not really required. The decks look OK to me and it would seem pointless to lay new decking on top.

One more update To follow them I’m up to speed with the current build progress.

BD39DFD6-3B42-466C-BFF7-4DF6F9538C1F.jpeg

As of Today this is the current build situation. Cabin area and steering went together quite well as did the poop deck. Only alteration and real work required was to the frames where the stern board fits. The edges need to be cut /trimmed at an angle so that it is possible to glue the board in place. Elastic bands did their job and it’s all good.

Next phase is to plank the inside of the stern board Then make a start on the first layer of hull planking.

6EB878F3-D85C-48AE-8486-25D147AF0371.jpeg

DFF430E2-5853-492C-AC0C-26B11D401A22.jpeg

E18939C5-4C74-4F08-ADB9-52512C110731.jpeg

it might be a good idea to plank the upper deck, the printed one is ok but certainly the wrong colour and very unrealistic, there are planty of victory logs on here, if you get chance check out the one by gil middleton 

file:///C:/Users/testuser/Downloads/Wooden Ships 6_15_2020 (1).pdf

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-finished-caldercraft-172/

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Daveruss,

I've just ordered the Panart kit, so I'll be reading your log with great interest. I know Arran well, I grew up in Ayr on the mainland, I've been to Arran a few times, when I was young. I'm retired now living in South Africa, thanks for taking the time to write the log.

Cheers,

Ross

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

She looks great, well done. You have bulk of the work done but once you start doing small things the effect will be amazing. I'm loving my build and each time I accomplish something it just looks spectacular. I can't get enough of it ;)

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

Latest update. Made the gun port lids and window shutters next step will be to mount them along with the cannons which I have started painting.

Have put the stern galleries on didn’t want to do it earlier as the instructions state to avoid damage. Bow is coming along nicely.

478C74FF-55CF-4B66-A853-E035841E1C27.jpeg

CC0CAA84-E7E1-42E8-AA97-CEA6E50E7490.jpeg

A8F0C2E3-4970-470C-978C-3FBF8B154554.jpeg

Getting on with the guns and lids etc but I have run out of eye pins and the instructions regards mounting the lids are appalling. Anyway I have managed to sort it out by using the supplied brass wire between the eye pins and then mounting the lids on this. Now waiting for additional eyes just hope they are the right sizes.

5482B594-ECEE-474C-802A-FE51E047C232.jpeg

BA057243-D42B-4C0C-933F-CCEFB695E793.jpeg

DD0300E3-890E-49DB-B414-44D18B583FD9.jpeg