Geoff

You are generaly right, my friend. Approaching 55+ we need as much physical activities as we can do. And office work is not in that direction. So, outside homeworks fit well. I like to work in a yard ... sometimes ... Honestly, considering I am living in a house near 30 years, today, if you put me to live in a flat, it is the same as put me in a cage. In my post was a little joke about spices (again - spice!) of marriage life - Me and Admiral have different sense WHEN something has to be done. That is only problem, if it is problem at all. Marriage diplomacy. Work "hard" befor dinner = leave me on my own after dinner. 

Bindy

I ordered from Hothead to project some bridge for you

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

And it is time to reap the benefits of succesfully finished homeworks

First finished main deck. Some grand canyons appears betwen strips, but I hope that sanding and next coat of paint + weathering will cover it on acceptable way. 

I have learned something, and of course, have to pay price of unexperience, and impatience. Nibbing must be done simetricaly, at same time at left and at right side, with measuring and shapeing pieces from bot sides to be simetrical. I didnt, and when I saw, it was to late. There is no way to do it third time. I think ( and hope) that all will be OK, considering in mind what I intend to do with two further layers of transparent acrylic

post-4738-0-68714600-1396211908_thumb.jpg

After I finished main deck richer for that experience, I climb careffuly on front deck, carefully and slowly planing each step

First, edge moldings

post-4738-0-93906100-1396211910_thumb.jpg

I do not think should especially note that on whole main deck, and even in this part of the fore deck, the fact minimal but present is the consequences of the lost hul adn deck lines, and mild asymmetry of bulwarks on the front deck. Curvatures at the aft edge of fore deck cant been corrected without loosing symetry of central plank line. You can see it reflecting by different height of veneer plank on the corner of the square cut. Fortunate is that there are a lot of interesting details to be mounted there admiring glances. And sails, of course

Another observation: really need to be a master modeler to cut and handle even single piece of veneer strips, to be exactly the same length and width. I am obviosly - not. Again old story: thick and thin 3 mm.

post-4738-0-93906100-1396211910_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-50835100-1396211912_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-66659500-1396211922_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-39726200-1396211925_thumb.jpg

Generaly, I am satisfied, it looks much better than main deck. It looks good, at all. Question stays forewer - if I could do it more precise and meticulous ?

But, it is done, and Her Majesty purrs like a kitten once again

Looking arround myself, I realised that whole four working hours whized away fast as F-16, and I have mounted only couple of strips... Whuh !

Time to join Admiral, and to think about (un)important question - to shave my beard or not
Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thank you, Bruce

I follow your work, and share with you love to the most beautifull things people make for sea in a whole lifetime of earth

No one and nothing can compare with full spread sails set on Her proudly riding the wind

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I think you are being too hard on yourself Nenad!

It looks great already, even in the harsh eyes of a close up camera, but it will look even better with your planned sanding and weathering.  I love it!!

It is evident that I am considerably hooked on ship modeling, and it will keep me as long as hands and eyes used to be usefull. From this point of view, sometimes I regret that I did 30 year break before returning. All generals are smart after battle. 

Throughout the process, I'm quite surprised at the relative speed of gaining experience, training and their application. To the devil, I feel I can do this much much better, only to find patience somewhere. And extra tools. And extra time. So, thinking: If I had  this mess 25 years above with some other model, I could make fine model 20 years ago, really nice model 15 years ago, some better models 10 and 5 years ago, and with Citty there will not be such a problems. And I am in love with Cutty Sark, dont you see ?

And a all presence feeling that you did something you can do better ... 

So, I am reading lessons to myself

To hard to myself ?

My life story. Whole life I am rideing on my shoulders, hammering spurs in flanks and twisting my ears to go on, to go fast, to go better and better

Last few years, after little a bit of medical problems ( nothing serious) I come to my mind, and often said to my self: Chill out, man, be cool, be cool be cool. You'll make it all, with or without anxiety, and better without. Be aware that somewhere around the corner waiting in ambush hearth attack or brain stroke, and you smoke so much ... 

But, human nature is human nature, and relicts of earlier habits stays, and sometimes jump on surface

Notices are reflection of this, and also reminder for me for next building, and warning for beginners not to do same things

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Searching for "coopering" solution - part No 1

While considering colour aspects, always is present problem discused earlier ( light conditions, settings of camera and monitor, etc etc.) Problem is more delicat when considering metalic colours,or colours of metal which reflect more outside influences

Analyzing pictures of CS, I concluded that colour of the coopering is rather something betwen gold and zync, mostly "hang" to something as dark dirty yellow gamut , as on pictures above

post-4738-0-16448400-1396293124_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-10665300-1396293137_thumb.jpg

I think that reddish shades and reflections which appear on some pictures, as on second photo are there as reflection of sunset or sunrise. So, my journey in searching for adequate material and colour was narrowed in two directions:

1 - I dont like colour of natural cooper whic can be ordered online, and I like it is not adequate to upper pictures. It must be something which more seem as zync

2 - such metal foils are very very hard to find to be possible to manipulate. I find something similar 0,1 mm thin, but so hard and solid and very difficult to work with. And solution must be some other material with adequate colour

And here is what I find

post-4738-0-08022300-1396293640_thumb.jpg

Colour matches, thin and easy to work with. And very cheap ( 1€ for 0,5 m2)

But, too much shiney and reflective

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Searching for "coopering" solution - part No 2

Next question is - how to do that, so I started with experiments, rather than finish planking 

Impatience thing, again

So, here are first tests, done on spray cover coloured with black acrylic. I am not sure about colours represented on pictures, they are not the same as in nature. HTC Wildfire camera in bad light conditions take what she wants and mix colours as she want, add to this reflections, and colours on pictures above are not accurate as in nature

post-4738-0-49271100-1396293977_thumb.jpg

Tile by the tile, reflection killed by ligh coat of thined glue. I do not like it, seems so messy

post-4738-0-36330800-1396293980_thumb.jpg

Same as No 1, but with light "redish" transparent layer. Also do not like it 

post-4738-0-10781800-1396293982_thumb.jpg

Maked as "molding", rivets signed from outside. Better, but to shiney. Vertical edges are not visible enough

post-4738-0-48450600-1396293983_thumb.jpg

Same as No 3, but with light "redish" transparent layer. 

post-4738-0-49719800-1396293985_thumb.jpg

Maked as "molding", rivets signed from inside, also vertical edges, this time visible. To much shiney

post-4738-0-17660100-1396293987_thumb.jpg

Same as No 5, but with light "redish" transparent layer. 

Obviosly, more tests must be done

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

Can you get a flat lacquer where you are?   Or a matte finish spray.... maybe from a craft store?  That might give you the finish you are seeking.  

As for life's philosophy, I think you've got it"  Chill out, man, be cool, be cool be cool. You'll make it all, with or without anxiety, and better without. Be aware that somewhere around the corner waiting in ambush hearth attack or brain stroke, and you smoke so much ...  It's just hard to change, isn't it?  I'm still trying to change some things.

Building ships is a good bit of that philosophy.  No stress, no anxiety, just thought, problem-solving, and art.  The spice must flow, but so must the creative part of us.  You are doing impressive work, my friend. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

... flat lacquer  ... matte finish spray....  

Mark, you are reading my mind. That are between options I am considering. But first I must bring decision about technique how to make strips. They have to be  narrow as much as possible in scale, with "edges" and "rivets" visible enough, but not too evident at the same time. Have some ideas ...

There is enough time for testing, in mean time I have to finish deck planking, make rudder, think about and make prepare for Her standing system - I am thinking about elegant version with two built-in thin stanchions in hull which must be done before "coopering"

Something like as on next picture , but not quite sure about that

post-4738-0-58493100-1396335569_thumb.jpg

Just try to think forward

Thanks for support and kind words

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Well ... what to say ?  

We all know that kind of feeling, when everything looks good, but ... something ... something is missing ... something is wrong ... something on whole picture is not adequate  ... and that sense last a while, and you do not know what is this

Starting on re-planking fore deck, whole time I had that feeling, and that bothered me ...

That was a reason I stopped re-planking, thinking that morning is smarter than evening

Not first morning, not second, and "wrong" feeling is still here

And finally I realised today, looking on photos of fore deck, and seeing something did not match. Asking myself - how will ladders be made, I realise .......

Quickly opened C-plans, and ...... BANG !!

My inpatinece - again, 101th anniversary time    :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Main mistake : I made second version of fore deck at september 14th. 2013, and I had at that time C-plans in digital , and ( WHY ? WHY ? WHY? ) I made this without consulting C-plans, going on TEHNODIDAKTA plans - I just do not know to explain. 

And this is what happened

post-4738-0-37192300-1396353447_thumb.jpg

Part "A" is too wide

Part "B" is too narrow

Part "C" must be deeper to the bow

I think I can fix this without deep surgery

Good thing: chance for meticulous planking  :P 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Speaking of devil ...

On C-plans, there are pinrails

On CS in Greenwich - ladders

Ha !

What to do ?

post-4738-0-27992500-1396355123_thumb.jpg

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Time to join Admiral, and to think about (un)important question - to shave my beard or not

Noooo ... the beard MUST stay !!!

Great work on your Cutty Sark, Nenad. I'll be following from here on.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Keep this up and you will be taken to the funny farm.  I do not wish that to happen.  As for your copering I like the way it is coming out.  And I would agree that a matte laquer or finsh will give you the effect you are looking for.

David B

Wellcome CaptanSteve. Beard was gone yesterday , but it grows everyday, and hope pirates will consider that when catch me

If they catch me

Admiral said I look much younger ( o-ho-ho !!! ) but less serious :(

Hmmmm ...

Anyway, first class comedian with my build, ready to go right in the movie, as David said

When I show to my crew last bo-boo, they said:

We dont see any difference
What does it matter ?
Hothead salted with words : you can play if you wish. Princese said - dad, you overheat over this. This is only model

WHAT DOES IT MATTER ???
ONLY MODEL ???

Whuh ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

it can be altered Nenad......elongate 'A' {your going to plank it over anyway}  and at the same time,  you can make the windlass space wider.   you can do it.......you've done so much..so far ;)   the main deck looks great!   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nenad;  I wouldn't worry about the majority of the small details;  in my build I will concentrate on one certain area (sometimes for months) and when I get back to another area, I will say "Whoa!  what was I thinking!!; and what have I learned!....  Just remember what I said from a previous post...

Mistakes?  You can:

Fix them. :dancetl6:

Hide them. B)

Ignore them. mellow.png

Pretend they're supposed to be there. :D

Blame it on someone else. :P

Whatever works, enjoy your builds!! :cheers:

Bob

Princese said - dad, you overheat over this. This is only model

WHAT DOES IT MATTER ???

ONLY MODEL ???

Whuh ...

Hmmph ... regular people !!!

They just don't understand us modellers.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

... regular people !!!

So, we are irregular people ?

I agree with that

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

OK, reparation time, make-up exam for fools

And as I am where I am, analyzing situation, I notices one detail which can be nice to add

Half round molding on the edge of the fore deck ....

post-4738-0-39901700-1396473623.jpg

But, there must be some order of moves

First, rip of all veneer moldings, and copy foredeck details for C-plans on trace papir

It obviosly will be much easier than I expect

post-4738-0-25810000-1396473519_thumb.jpg

Cutting excess parts of deck, sanding, little putty

post-4738-0-99710100-1396473521_thumb.jpg

And attempt with toothpicks cutted longitudinaly to half. Tomorrow after fine correcting, I ll decide if it stays or to make new one

post-4738-0-62622100-1396473523_thumb.jpg

Thats all for today

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Now that looks super good Nenad, great fix!  Love that half round moulding.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I like that molding.  It looks great.  Ignore the Princess as she's to young to understand.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I guess it wasn't too big of a problem..........look at how fast you fixed it  ;)   I think it looks great!   with the two lockers,  the windlass,  the pump and the railings.......it's all going to blend right in!   definitely a keeper!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Further carefull analyze of photos lead to two addditional conclusions

1. rounded molding has to be little wider verticaly

2. behind rounded molding, there is some kind of frame, made of molding which is a biit "older" than deck planking ( arrows on picture )

post-4738-0-42119800-1396560323.jpg

Rounded molding I did yesterday does not match, and , oh what a supprise , it was not glued properly

So, it had to be removed

And then start little conversation between me and me. I ask myself : can you do, or are you able to do something, at least try to do, to look as, at least to look like work of real master ? Another me didn`t know what to say, so first me decided to try

And here is result, after 3,5 hours of working, so I wait your opinion

post-4738-0-66865500-1396560319_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-30558700-1396560322_thumb.jpg

Colours are unadequate and dont match, and that will stay until whole decking get final colour

Maybe just a little bit of sanding ? Or it is only because macro photographing 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

YES !!!  That looks really good Nenad, just like a picture frame.  i wouldn't fret too much about the colors, you'll figure it out oaky after some more light sanding and match it with the deck or leave some contrast - - perhaps?

Isn't scratch building fun?  And talking to yourself too?  I do that all the time and even scolding myself when I have made a mistake  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I agree with Piet ... that looks fantastic !!

With both you and yourself working together on this, it's no wonder you are doing such a great job.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Looks great, Nenad.  No one ever will look at you funny for have a two-way conversation.  Just be careful about having a three-way conversation with yourself or someone will think you'll need to be under a doctor's care. 

When me, myself, and I have conversations and arguments, there's never a tie.  If I don't like what the other two say, I ignore them.   Sometimes....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice fitting of the trim Nenad

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.