Hmmmm, engineers making things complicated - - - 

To be honest, often engineers think that attorneys make things complicated ... 

And there is "dead race" between attorneys, engineers, doctors and economists who is smarter. Everybody declare " I am the smartest gay in universe"

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Looks pretty good, for an attorney,,,

:P

Bob, my best friend, and most educated and most interesting among all people I know is electro - engineer of high class ( electro projects and supervision of building of industrial objects about 500.000-1.000.000 m2). So, I was just joking

But, when he resolves some home installations in my office, I cut my veins ... Same thing he said when I work over his real estate documentation and trade contracts ...

B)

.... hope your cat doesn't end up getting shaved :P

It was close. As I mention earlier, He have picked up fleas somewhere, and ... whole house was upside down by disinsection, He was bathed couple of times, and He was lucky, if even one single flea remain, He would be shaved 

This days and couple of next days I shall not have any news for you about Her Majesty

On some way, moving is starting ...

But, to move in office to certain room in house, first I have to move out Hothead and his studio from this room

To move Hothead to his room, first we have to make desk for him

To make a desk for him, I first have to bring home two old desks from office and to separate all parts

And entertainment begins a week ago with endless projecting ...  ( engineers ...)

post-4738-0-14670300-1397463231_thumb.jpg

And endless discussing about project ... 

post-4738-0-86030900-1397463231_thumb.jpg

In Friday, project was finally done, and I started with demolition of furniture in one office room,... and moving it from down-town to  my home , and  and making space in Hothead`s room for new desk (including removing 5 wall shelves, rearranging furniture and installations, ......

Sunday, early went to carpenter to cut parts, and both try to understand cutting lists Hothead have made ( Hothead did not come with me, because political disagreement with carpenter - He did not learn still to separate politic and business) 

Ok, this was done, back to the garage,  first to rearrange desk to mount big vise, find somewhere my bench plane, then couple of hours banding 1000000 slices, and then join and glue them together, with several jumps to hardware for missing parts (which were not in project ... ;) )

post-4738-0-41984800-1397463233_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-59423800-1397463235_thumb.jpg

Bob, not bad for attorney, I think ...It is not my first furniture I made ... 

In the evening, went to mentioned friend to celebrate his daughters Master degree in Economic ( until 03:00 )

In the morning ... Admiral engaged bulldozer crane to get me from bed ... 

And then move this all to the second floor, then mounting, and here is first look at future desk studio

post-4738-0-15680400-1397463237_thumb.jpg

This is, as Hothead said,  the most important part ( ...) -  standing for mixing board. I screwed up cutting, so some modeller experiences must be applied (masking of mess I made)

post-4738-0-99760200-1397463229_thumb.jpg

Deadly tired after full two days of carpenter job. This morning, instead 06:30 I woke up at 09:30, even is a regular working day ... . Did not even hear two repeating alarms beneath my head ... Admiral was deep frozen too ( all day cutting grass from whole back and front yard ...)

What is youth ... Hothead works all day with me, and at the evening, simply went out with friends, while I was unconscious on couch watching TV ... "Star Trek - into darkness" begins, I watched first 10 minutes and insensibly fall to sleep ... Admiral waked me to move to my bed, where I couldn't sleep because so much tired ... 

And show has just started ...

So, Her Majesty must wait a while ... in workshop and in garage is complete chaos made from different tools, wooden parts, cables, jack screws, drills, grinder, sandpaper, glues, iron, hand tools, everywhere extension cords  ... as every time I work similar job ... and I need almost a hour to clean it up ... and carpenter works are far away to be finished ... 

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

all things in good time......you don't want to work on 'her majesty' when your tired ;) she looks really good.....the decks match up nicely. once you get your 'court' in order, you can make a motion to continue :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Holly cow !!!!

Future office room  was designated as home library and optionaly work-room, and most of the books are there

Today we start to empthy this room to free space for mounting new work desks for Admiral and me ... books are in whole house ( 2500-3000 pieces)

When books are in shelves, nobody think about how much space them need ....

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Furniture looks great, Nenad;  the last piece of furniture I built, was my first piece, in a woodworking class in high school at 16 years old... solid walnut desk... I wish I still had it (I'd tear it apart and use the walnut boards!) \

I donated alot of my books the last time I moved, (Im now in a much smaller place)  most I don't miss, some I do.  I keep core reference materials with me (Calculus does not change (much)) and I know the internet can "provide" all this knowledge; but remembering running your fingers along a bookshelf looking for the right book; and then finding it, and opening it up to the approximate page when you were 21, that's irreplaceable. 

Looking forward to Her Majesty's next step...

Your Friend,

~Bob

Bob

Just to mention, Admiral and I are "book freaks", and books, simply, do not go out from our place in any way

Before WWII, my grandfather ( senior civil servant) had over 5.000 books which were blasted during German bombing 1942.g. house they lived. About 1.000 leaves. Other grandfather ( doctor of medicine, graduated on Sorbone, Paris) had about 1000-1500 which were separated between his four sons ( all engineers) after his death, couple of hundred finished with me. My parents and Admiral`s parents are book freaks too

And two of us bye and read books continuosly. When time comes, I simply do not know where to place all this in house. To alienate them is out of question. And I am pretty proud of my existing and future library

Forunately, I we do not intend to move out from our house (own property), apartment has about 130 m2 with 5 rooms, and we`ll find some place ... kids plan to live and work somewhere in Europe or world ... But, life is strange kind of buddy, who knows what will bring future days and nights. Only 25 years ago, if somebody told me that I`ll live in country that will  have greatest hiperinflation ever, and survive, and after that civil war, and after that NATO bombing, if somebody tell me that I ll drive the same car (Yugo !!!) 16 years (1990-2006) and second car 8 years (2006 untill now), I`d probably tell him - why do you hate me so much ? What I have did to you to wish me such a black things ? All these things were presented in our lives, but life must go on in optimistic way

I ll put some pictures this days to ilustrate the curent state of chaos in my home. Her Majesty is quiet and peaceful in her living place, quiety grumbling something in her dark and silence ( when I pass by her living wall cabinet, I think I hear "Sound of silence" by Simon and Garfunkel ...) Her working place is demolished and complete occupeid by intruders, all shipyard workers are on unpaid leave ... calvary rescue troops are not present ... jet ... 

So, back to work ...  follow 4 non-working days of holiday ( Orthodox ) and I hope to finish "furniture job" ant to rescue Her from aliens

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

A big congrats on your daughter's Master's Degree!  And a congrats to you on making your very own Ikea desk!

But 2500 to 3000 books ?????????????   How on earth do you find time to build ships, work, look after your beautiful house and shave your cat?

A big congrats on your daughter's Master's Degree!  And a congrats to you on making your very own Ikea desk!

But 2500 to 3000 books ?????????????   How on earth do you find time to build ships, work, look after your beautiful house and shave your cat?

Thx Bindy, not mine, friends daughter finished Economy. Princess will be a doctor

Time ? I suppose I get used to me to be overload

For other things I do not know, but time for books ... normal people go to bed with his/her wife/husband. Unnormal (me) with book. Fortunately, one house, one job, one wife, one cat. If there are some more ( some more wife ...), I`ll probably shave house, cut wife instead grass, and build cat from scratch    :P

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad I think you have too many books you are starting to ramble.  I have the same problem.  I bought an ereader because of my current condition I cannot bring a lot from my library.  However my prize possesions have to be felt and opened.  Those I miss the most.

David B

Nenad, I love reading your posts. You talk about "Her Majesty", your Admiral, family life and all the curve balls that life throws at us from time to time. You weather the storms and keep a positive attitude. I love reading through your translations into english as it's more fun to me to get it "as you say it" rather than perfectly transcribed. Keep posting. You regularly make my day. :)

Nenad;  When I moved from Nebraska to Colorado 3.5 years ago, I donated most of my books, because moving them was very much a pain;  most all of my college texts, plus many purchased after college went bye-bye. ( I only had about 200-250, much less than you!)  However, I found replacing the ones I use for reference was easier than I thought. Here's a few...

This copy, (two texts in 1989 at $75 apiece, I found for $2.50 at a local thrift store).post-3909-0-86607400-1397805362_thumb.jpg

This one, a little beat up, was 10 cents. (Cents, not dollars, and $65 in 1987; college age kids say this text is over $200 now, with same material)post-3909-0-32606900-1397805379_thumb.jpg

Parents gave me a classic copy of Gray's Anatomy for Christmas when I was in fifth grade and wanted to be a doctor... It was held together with duct tape and was in many pieces; I sadly let it go...

(I switched to engineering in 7th grade) and this is my adult replacement... a very nice 1966 edition, that I paid $5 for...post-3909-0-10572700-1397805406_thumb.jpg.

And of course, this out-of-print G. Campbell; off of Ebay  $15  post-3909-0-56701600-1397805496_thumb.jpg

Library is much smaller now, but maybe higher quality..    I had alot of Microsoft texts that are worthless now; and most of the novels I owned were paperback, so not worth keeping for the move.  (The exception was a signed paperback from high school of "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, which my siblings may still have after my Mother's passing...)

Nice collection, Bob. In Belgrade there some "gold mines" with chip and (for me) valuable books. Couple of years ago, I was researching some questions about WW2, and Omaha beach landing, and , you can not believe : on a vegetable market, on one shelf, one man was selling old books ... there I find memoars of German generals , four for 3€ !!!! Retired army officer was selling his military library !!!

And there was a couple of such a "hits"

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

And, here are intruders and aliens on Her Majesty's workplace ...

Why every time I make furniture, I make this mountine of tools ???

post-4738-0-34550600-1397843002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

ohhhhh.....Nenad........you better get that cleaned up before her Majesty get back! your gonna be in deep doo doo!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sure Denis, when finish actual works. Plan is : tomorrow walls in office, and wall shelves, then until monday mounting work benches in office and fix and harden them with ... I do not know jet ... and makeing some "boxes" and masks for computers and jungle of wires, so from Thurstday to Friday to move and mount computers, establish network, and to move files and rest of furniture ... intend to sail in regular life to next weekend. I do not believe to have time for Her Majesty untill then

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Part of library occupied bedroom

post-4738-0-02130700-1397928988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I have the same problem.  However since I moved in with my sister I went out and bought a Galaxy Tab 3.8.  It is perfect for reading.  The battery life is not the same as a kindle but it is more versital.  As for my library at home I have to learn to control myself.  It is not easy at times though.

David B

Call me old fashioned; but there is no way I could read a novel using an electronic device; (laptop, notebook, kindle, etc.)  I will always enjoy the tactile feel of real paper and bound books..

The good thing is that it's becoming much easier to find a good book at a good price;  the bad thing is that 2 terabytes of written material in paper form takes up many square meters.. (Right, Nenad?) B)

Still drilling wholes on walls and making furniture ... and traditional wide family gathering day ...

Edit on april 22. 2014

Furniture is done, and I have terrible sore muscules. Whole day under the deck and in cabinets, mounting some closet shelves, aligning, fastening, remounting, correcting mistakes ( as on CS) , and mounting again, endless up and down from garrage to the floor

Party starts tomorrow when I must dive in a "cable job" - to reconnect  office network, to bring and to connect it to home network (all under working desk in office - 3 PC with monitors, mouses and keyboards +1 laptop, wireless router, two splliters ( one for ADSL another for network, 2 telephone lines, must change 2 cables from router to TV in main room, also must change 2 network cables in office and to make two new for children rooms in upper floor, two 2.1 speaker system with all their cables and transformers, printer cables, telephony bases cables and transformers, fax machine, 2 table lamps, USB hub and additional USB cables) and the lighting of office. Only network cables are long more than 50 m

It is not my first time to do this, but it`s so easy to make complete mess if you do not care which cable you unplug from which socket, and if you do not pack them orderly and with patience

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Office is finally moved and established and fully functional. There are still some jobs to be done, but main fire is turned off .

Full two weeks I didnt worked on Her. Think that this weekend I'll call for cavalery rescue squad to beat and get out intruders and alliens from Her working place, and to continue with Her Majesty

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Phew !!! That's a lot of hard work. I was working up a sweat just reading about all your work.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Cable job ....

Before

post-4738-0-42531700-1398523871_thumb.jpg

And after five hours under table

post-4738-0-80538200-1398523890_thumb.jpg

and Admiral is not satisfied  ... "I do not want to see any cable "

$"$"%$"#$%

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

$"$"%$"#$%

Enough of that sort of language, Nenad ... make it like the Admiral wants it, or you'll be in trouble.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

When in doubt, cheat.  Hang a piece of painted wood in front of the cabling.  Hides the cable, makes the Admiral happy.. and it's relatively easy and cheap.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She got card panel dressed in same wallpaper as on walls above deck, she is happy and made my birthday cake.

post-4738-0-52909500-1398620823_thumb.jpg

In meantime, downstairs, intruders and alliens go wild ...

post-4738-0-10620500-1398542612_thumb.jpg

This make me angry, declared war to them, and after two hours of hard bloody battle, I win, and retake workplace for Her Majesty, and improve it a little

post-4738-0-00349600-1398542969_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I can finnaly keep on forward and make some sand dust

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: