Newbie needing model recommendations

JonSnow

Hi all, I'm completely new to this hobby, though I've always been interested in it. I was watching TV with my dad a few weeks ago and on the set was a model ship. He mentioned he's always wanted one, so I thought it'd be cool to try and build him one as a gift. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that's good for a novice? Definitely doesn't need to be the best, biggest, and definitely not complicated. I just want it to look cool and to be able to put it together. Thoughts? Many thanks!

Welcome!  You might try this link as well as exploring the many build logs here if you are interested in a particular ship/boat. For whatever you choose you can begin a build log of your own to show off your work, ask questions, and enjoy this wonderful community

56 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Definitely doesn't need to be the best, biggest, and definitely not complicated. I just want it to look cool and to be able to put it together. Thoughts?

Are you okay with a sailboat (no guns)? If so I might recommend searching eBay for a Midwest kit like the Sharpie Schooner or other Midwest kits as a relatively easy entry. Alternatively if you like the look of a working boat and are up for the challenge of planking then maybe take a look at Vanguard models Fifie or Zulu model. If you are thinking about a warship then there are many options but I would recommend sticking to a single masted vessel.

Hi Jon.  My first ship model was the Virginia 1819 by Artesania Latina.  There are a lot of build logs for it and many of us did it as a first wooden ship model.  It has the big advantage of being double planked, which makes it much easier to get a good looking hull.  If you read through those build logs, you’ll see that it takes six months to a year to build.  So keep that in mind with your gifting plan.  Whatever you choose, read as many build logs for that kit as you can find.  I would never have finished without the things I learned on this site.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

The phrase "model ship" is a little vague -- the kind of model ship your dad saw may help determine what sort of model would best suit your purpose. Can you tell us more about what you're looking for?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

One of the most basic questions to answer is your skill level at assembling models and what materials you want to work with. Your phrasing "put together" implies a pretty basic model, based on assembling pre-made parts with glue, which suggests a simple plastic model. For example, a couple Revell sailing ships (Bounty and Charles Morgan whaling ship) were my first entry into ship kits and look reasonably cool without needing more skills than basic gluing and painting. In contrast, most wood-based kits are not going to be "put together" because almost all require more work shaping the parts first and this can quickly get challenging if you aren't aware of what you're getting into. BlueJacket makes a whole series of intro-level wood kits that look nice and are meant for beginners. I strongly recommend reading the link Meddo gave above.

But it would help to know some basic ground rules for type. Tugboat? Canoe? Sailing vessel? Battleship?

Hi Jon,

The others have provided excellent advice about your question so I'll just say "Welcome to MSW".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!  Model expo has some nice beginner models and a great selection overall...best of luck!

Just to add  to what others have said  - if you can get an idea  what sort of ship your dad likes - then we can start form there  and find a  kit  similar to that  or similar  - it will simply be better that way  as there are  hundreads of different ship/boat kits  out there.

Hope this helps.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me