USS Gwin (DD-433) by Egilman - DML/Dragon - 1/350th scale - PLASTIC

3 hours ago, Canute said:

A wide old modeler told me, many moons ago, to take some time to kick back a while, then just build something for yourself, without trying to to build the world's best "whatchamacallit". Gotta recharge the modeler's batteries, mate.

Yeah, I surely got to do some recharging brother it's wise advice.... Last three either haven't been finished or failed.....

The next few days the wife is priority one though... So I'll probably be off line for a bit while we get that sorted..... Been kinda a roller coaster the last few months....

Too many issues going on right now brother making demands on my life.... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

EG, sorry to hear of your frustration.  I have walked away from models before to start a different project.  When my head clears and my temperature comes back down to earth, I'll sometimes return to it and find it much easier than I had expected.  Sometimes the subconscious figures things out when the conscious can't seem to.

I struggled with PE in the beginning, but eventually you find a way that works for you - tools, adhesives, technique, etc.  So stick with it, it will get easier and be more like second nature.  I'm flying along on my 1/350 destroyer at the moment, having run through the PE learning curve gauntlet on the 1/700.  That being said, I think buying resin or plastic deck items like the Veteran Models set you have is a very good solution.  For me, the trickiest PE items were the deck items like the rangefinders, guns, etc.  Much easier to just cut the piece off the resin plug and glue it on than have to do a million intricate folds for a PE item.

Selfishly, I'm hoping you come back to this one as I always learn a ton from your posts.  Every update is like class is in session, Professor EG is at the lectern.  So, take some time off and hopefully you will regain the desire to pick this up again.  If I can help out in any way to walk you through how I approach PE, I'm more than happy to, just let me know.  I owe you a lot for all the help you have given on my builds, so it's the least I can do.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

EG, family first, man.  Take care of your lady. We'll be rooting around here, thrashing thru our various builds. Be well, my friend.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Take care and give a holler if you need anything. I'm just a little ways up the road.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

As Ken said, family first, and don't worry 'bout us, we will still be here for you👍

Edited by Edwardkenway
Important missing word "don't"

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Same as all the other brothers have said   - take care of yourself and your lady wife.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Real life takes priority, Egilman.  And burnout is an issue in both real life and model building and cross-over is common.  Do what has to be done first and then as you feel up to it, fiddle with the model.  Eventually, things come back and fall into place.  

Meantime, we'll all just keep the faith and hope to see you soon.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

here to echo what all has said.......I've had burn out issues too,  as well as projects that get my goat ;)   sorry to hear your admiral has issues as well......I wish you well in that regard.  take care of things man........look'in forward to seeing you continue  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 3/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

EG, sorry to hear of your frustration.  I have walked away from models before to start a different project.  When my head clears and my temperature comes back down to earth, I'll sometimes return to it and find it much easier than I had expected.  Sometimes the subconscious figures things out when the conscious can't seem to.

Yeah it's something we all run into at some point, and yes I've been there where a solution to a problem will just jump into my head outta nowhere, it's really amazing how that happens..... but not until you have rested and slept on it a while...

I struggled with PE in the beginning, but eventually you find a way that works for you - tools, adhesives, technique, etc.  So stick with it, it will get easier and be more like second nature.  I'm flying along on my 1/350 destroyer at the moment, having run through the PE learning curve gauntlet on the 1/700.  That being said, I think buying resin or plastic deck items like the Veteran Models set you have is a very good solution.  For me, the trickiest PE items were the deck items like the rangefinders, guns, etc.  Much easier to just cut the piece off the resin plug and glue it on than have to do a million intricate folds for a PE item.

Oh I'll get the hang of it, eventually... the size is mainly the issue just not used to working that small.... and some of it is pointless as well, I guess I forgot that from doing my F-104 cockpit, sometimes we have to relearn the lessons....

Selfishly, I'm hoping you come back to this one as I always learn a ton from your posts.  Every update is like class is in session, Professor EG is at the lectern.  So, take some time off and hopefully you will regain the desire to pick this up again.  If I can help out in any way to walk you through how I approach PE, I'm more than happy to, just let me know.  I owe you a lot for all the help you have given on my builds, so it's the least I can do.

Oh I will come back to it, TF 18 has been a long term dream of mine, I'm going to finish it before I leave this world.... (as far as being the professor, there are people here who forgotten more than I know {chuckle})

I appreciate the offer to help, offered freely of course, you own me nothing brother..... If I have helped you in your modeling endeavors, I'm very happy....

Thanks my friend....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 3/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, Canute said:

EG, family first, man.  Take care of your lady. We'll be rooting around here, thrashing thru our various builds. Be well, my friend.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:41 AM, Edwardkenway said:

As Ken said, family first, and don't worry 'bout us, we will still be here for you👍

On 3/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Same as all the other brothers have said   - take care of yourself and your lady wife.

OC.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, mtaylor said:

Real life takes priority, Egilman.  And burnout is an issue in both real life and model building and cross-over is common.  Do what has to be done first and then as you feel up to it, fiddle with the model.  Eventually, things come back and fall into place.  

Meantime, we'll all just keep the faith and hope to see you soon.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, popeye the sailor said:

here to echo what all has said.......I've had burn out issues too,  as well as projects that get my goat ;)   sorry to hear your admiral has issues as well......I wish you well in that regard.  take care of things man........look'in forward to seeing you continue  :) 

What do I say to you all..... Thank you it is GREATLY appreciated.....

The Admiral is fine, and it did my heart good to see the hospital get a dose of the war department for once..... (but that's what you get when your doctors are a bunch of arrogant gods who know everything and nothing at the same time)

Anyways, she is much much better and is her old self now..... Me, it's getting hard to be a care giver and a model builder at the same time, the demands get too heavy at times, so you have to drop one or the other and family come first as you all understand.... But I'm not giving up, just need something a bit less intense at this point, allowing a little more leeway in build tasks for interruptions.....

I'll get it sorted my friends....

Being the young guy on the block here, it means a lot..... I can't tell you how much.......

Quote:

On 3/26/2021 at 9:19 PM, lmagna said:

Take care and give a holler if you need anything. I'm just a little ways up the road.

Wow! Thank you brother..... Very kind, gracious and generous of you..... 

THANK YOU!!!!

EG

Quote:

Ok, after a couple of days working this out I've decided to temporarily suspend this one... A good chunk of my time has to be devoted elsewhere.... I can't give it the attention it deserves and rather than do a half-assed job of it I'll wait till I can do it justice....

Not abandoning it, just putting it on hold till life gets stabilized a bit....

Thank you for all the likes and vibrant discussions... More coming in the future..... but right now I need to concentrate on smaller quicker projects.... Not what I really want but life will have it's way, nothing I can do about it but roll with the flow.....

Sincerely thank you....

EG

Quote:

Glad to hear your wife is doing better.  That's the most important thing :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Definitely good news your good lady is well and that you still building even if it ain't  your USS Gwin.

Good luck for your future builds brother!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Good news on your lady.  No rush on the build. When the time is right, you'll know it and jump right back in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And you know  We are here for you anytime you need us  "Just shout"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1