USS Gwin (DD-433) by Egilman - DML/Dragon - 1/350th scale - PLASTIC

Thats looking really nice brother  - that paint went down nice a smooth  - brushing can be a headache  - ask me how I know.........as he  leads  you to his Warspite Build.😉

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice work!  Good to see the brass going on.  

Yep, first piece had to go on early because of the priming and initial camo.... I assure you more will be coming brother....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thats looking really nice brother  - that paint went down nice a smooth  - brushing can be a headache  - ask me how I know.........as he  leads  you to his Warspite Build.😉

OC.

Thanks OC,

That's just the primer brother, ultra thin, I expected it to go down smooth.... The camo that goes over it will take at least two coats given the process I'm using.... Examples below....

DCP_2910.JPG.a28a7f2b1c0e829cc361a7bbbd6c42f3.JPG

DCP_2911.JPG.4145ad6925aa7aedbf05bffc8d68a8ad.JPG

The 5-H Haze Grey blows out under the flash and looks almost white, while the first coat of the 5-O Ocean Grey isn't yet thick enough to completely cover the lighter stuff underneath yet....

And the 20B deck needs another thin coat as well...

Letting it dry now hence I"m not trying to take a nice picture yet... Just showing the process.... Still gots a ways to go....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Ok, a tad bit of eye candy.....

DCP_2913.JPG.1a981f6cfd21f26dbeecd92a539bf94c.JPG

Like I said not done with the paint yet, but this is the look I'm kinda shooting for.....

Quote:

Looks awesome man.  That camo scheme is complicated but really stands out, nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 2/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, RGL said:

Such busy ships too, so much kit on them. I can’t imagine how beaten up they would have been by 1945 in the tropics. 

Yeah, the hulls could if they had a long period between yard availabilities.... For example....

https://fb.watch/3FYXWQWb7j/

You see CV-9 the USS Essex up front after 14 months at sea, behind it is CV-10 the USS Yorktown another Essex class carrier four months out of the yard and behind her CV-6 the USS Enterprise fresh out of the yard gives a good comparison of the wear and tear they took in service.... All are in Ms. 21 overall navy blue scheme.... (the video is from Majuro anchorage about March '44)

The condition of the Essex's paint is highly unusual, (she was too desperately needed for operations during early '43) She will shortly go back for her first yard availability and will receive her Measure 32 "Dazzle" camo...

When operational needs dictated they could get to looking pretty razzy, (at least the hull) But as you can see from the two carriers in the background, they weren't allowed to get that bad as a general rule....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 2/13/2021 at 9:54 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks awesome man.  That camo scheme is complicated but really stands out, nice job!

Thank's brother... I've a few new pics after the second coat of 5-O and a coat of 20B on the upper decks and gunhouse tops... Will be posting them in a bit....

Quote:

Ok as promised, a little more paint....

Starboard side....

DCP_2914.JPG.c4e968b0243b32d612d66b0dac1969a4.JPG

Port Side....

DCP_2915.JPG.fabefee1f92b838faa8ba82e2627d998.JPG

Port side bow & stern.... 

DCP_2916.JPG.b852a02e0cf65682dffe31ff01e68695.JPGDCP_2917.JPG.c5ba7f45715e3e4387cfe6d2f093cca1.JPG

And two overheads from slightly different angles.....

DCP_2918.JPG.81b59012ee531ccab8cd2e298b2b918f.JPGDCP_2919.JPG.16dc2b1989cc6688afc87030a0a7f4f6.JPG

Still need a bit of Navy Blue on the bottom of the forward stack, but she is looking like she is supposed to......

More to come....

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh lookie at what came in the mail today......

DCP_2920.JPG.cf7965b30c57c8e6ec0ba0c050acc17f.JPG

That is an Iron Shipwrights 4-053 USS Nashville CL-43 in 1/350th scale.... Look at the size difference between a Brooklyn class Light Cruiser and a Gleaves class Destroyer!!!! About 21" long.... Shouldn't be too difficult to back-date her to April 1942....

She goes on the back burner for future work...... All I have left is to figure out my USS Cimarron AO-22 build.... (probably doing to have to be a scratch project)

Anyway, Onwards....

Quote:

54 minutes ago, Egilman said:

USS Cimarron AO-22

Why the Cimarron? 

Not exactly the same but possibly could be a basis to start from:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/lindberg-navy-tanker-plastic-model-military-ship-kit-1:520-scale-hl438-12?source=froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldWGqg4pc3smgcermTzcl7ZMUtEfBJbHRmAyt5kG_xRfTfWfJ11NX7oaAgSqEALw_wcB

Or possibly the almost exact but normally considered inferior 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MISB-REVELL-USS-MISSION-CAPISTRANO-FLEET-OILER-/303857713892?hash=item46bf54c2e4%3Ag%3Ae-EAAOSweAlfyTmn&nma=true&si=5UfrHRb3SAVqgNx3kIne3ly%2B3Mk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you want to spend A LOT more money and still need to do some major scratch building to retrofit back to a tanker you could get the Sangamon instead.

http://ironshipwrights.com/pages/sangamon.html

Probably be easier to scratch build.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Why the Cimarron? 

Probably be easier to scratch build.

The Cimarron was the fleet oiler assigned to the USS Hornet and Task Force 18, when they left Norfolk in March for the Doolittle Raid.... 

The Lindberg Kennebec class tanker in 1/525th scale was a T-2 class tanker and was considerably different than a Cimarron class ship...

The Revell Mission Capistrano (AO‑112) in 1/400 scale is also a T-2 type tanker as well, so it wouldn't work either....

The Sangamon initially started out as AO-28 built as the Esso Trenton under the maritime administration contract to subsidize the improvements the navy needed for underway replenishment oilers... Commissioned in 1940 she was delivering oil to our new ex British Caribbean bases when we entered the war..... The ISW Sangamon is in the right scale, (1/350th) but the only thing usable in that kit would be the hull, the hull is the easiest thing to scratch build.....

I do have her BoGP for the decks and superstructures and her hull lines, so it shouldn't be too difficult a scratch build....

I agree brother, Scratch building her is probably the way to go..... (highly unlikely anyone is going to do a kit of her in the near future)

Quote:

Looking really great EG.  That Nashville looks like a really nice kit.  Hadn't heard of Iron Shipwrights before, but I'm trying to be a good boy and not spend too much time on that site :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

your progress look super.......and YEA....the Nashville kit looks really good.  I'll go one better Mike.......I won't go to that site,  knowing how gullible I am  ;) {the admiral would kill me}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

20 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

but I'm trying to be a good boy and not spend too much time on that site :) 

I already got bit there once, (Houston) and have been trying to resist two more for at least two or three years now. It's horrible when there is only one option for something you would really like to do, and it is the most expensive!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I already got bit there once, (Houston) and have been trying to resist two more for at least two or three years now. It's horrible when there is only one option for something you would really like to do, and it is the most expensive!:(

Isn't that always how it is?  Every time my wife picks out the one thing she likes best out of a set of potential options, I don't even bother asking anymore because I know it will be the most expensive.

Mike

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I don't even bother asking anymore because I know it will be the most expensive.

Hey brother, when the official requisition comes down from the admiralty these days I don't even bother to look at the bottom line anymore...... I just fill the requisition, it's no use doing anything else....

Quote:

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

AMEN!

I've been resisting this one for 5 years now, (not really, was waiting on a BWN USS Brooklyn, (easier to convert) Nary a sign of one for 5 years now so I finally broke down and bought ISW)

And yeah, it's like they are deliberately leaving the Brooklyn's behind, working up everything else though even if the Brooklyn's are the more historically important models.... They were the forerunners of every modern cruiser built for the US Navy....

Quote:

Well, frustration with photoetch....

Sky Lookouts..... The Gwin had them still installed until after Midway, they were removed after as they were effectively useless compared to radar detection. Radar was capable of locating and vectoring aircraft before they ever got in range of the binoculars of the sky lookouts....

So, what is a sky lookout?

DCP_2920.JPG.6b321dd30a767794cf35d985e22c99b4.JPGDCP_2921.JPG.fe0dc83b469928196debfe9273dd4369.JPGDCP_2924.JPG.689e6fe9ef2107c4b929bd0ee0d4e895.JPG

They are binoculars mounted to a swiveling rotating frame so they can track aircraft and ascertain position angles on them relative to the ship for antiaircraft purposes.... AS you can see from the pics they consist of a pedestal with a bearing angle indicator, a U shaped base frame which swivels around the indicator for direction, and a second frame mounted to the first frame to indicate elevation angles which has a pair of binoculars mounted to them.... The third pic is the kits pedestal parts, so small I can't even get the camera to focus on them..... The two U shaped parts are Photo Etch and needed to be bent into their shaped before being glued to the pedestal.....  I was bending the last binocular mount and sproing! It decided to go walkabout... I think it finally found where the carpet monster resides....

One second it was there in the jaws of my pliers the next, right before my eyes, it disappeared...

The size of these parts.... Smaller than the wire I'm going to use for rigging......

Unfortunately, Dragon didn't give any spares, so she won't have her sky lookouts in place....

Well, I know that after her return from Midway, They were removed from atop the pilot house when they installed her 9 20mm guns... I do still have the pedestals and windshields so unless you know what your looking at it will appear that something is there.... Even if it didn't disappear, you would still need a 3.5x magnifier to see them....

This is becoming a frustrating learning experience.......

Quote:

Hang in there!  I’ve heard the dreaded ping off the tweezers too many times.  Not fun at all!

Mike

On 3/2/2021 at 10:55 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Hang in there!  I’ve heard the dreaded ping off the tweezers too many times.  Not fun at all!

Yeah, I'm learning brother....

I went ahead and look for some replacements for the Sky Lookout equipment on chance that one of the AM companies would make a replacement....

I found one, the only one.....

vtmw35006_0.jpg.5c91dd90ca45446b09055a3d15909665.jpg

And it's only available from Hobbylink Japan....

But from looking at it they are much nicer than the original Dragon design and more accurate to boot.... And it gives me 10 of them which I will need for several of my TF-18 builds.... And I get the early war target designators and closed pelorus's as well....

Will take a couple of weeks to get here, but at least I have a solution.....

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...

It just stands to reason, when you start talking about building something else, (M1A1 Abrams) Parts you are waiting patiently for, arrive faster......

It's majik I tell ya...

DCP_2929.JPG.33a9ddaefccd5ef6872f51844db238b9.JPG

Now to get my brain wrapped around this one again, I need to get it done in prep for the GB coming up, (chuckle, need to file that away for future reference)

Quote:

5 hours ago, RGL said:

I’ve never seen this set, fantastic stuff. 

I didn't either till on a lark I went and searched for Sky Lookouts....

The set is mostly resin with PE for three of them the sky lookouts, the open pelorus which would be good for LST's or Destroyer Escorts approaching a beach drawing fire away from the LC's, and the Mk 57 gun director good for late war or Korean war AA guns...

The closed Pelorus is good for almost any US warship from 32 or so on and the binnacle further back than that.....

And it gives you enough spares to do several ships.... I'm very pleased with it... Unfortunately it is only available at Hobby Link Japan, (where I found it) The Veteran Models website show them as not in stock....

I was lucky in finding it....

Quote:

I wish I had of know about it when I did mine. There is a RN bridge set which is basically not available anywhere in the world from North Star models which is a great company (great products) but super unreliable. The last time I ordered something it took 5 weeks to clear the Latvian customs, and now they won’t ship to Oz as PayPal keeps slapping them for poor service. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

Just a note to let everyone know, I've suspended this build for the foreseeable future... When it gets frustrating it's not fun anymore....

I must confront the fact that my modeling dreams do not match modeling reality, and today's reality with plastic ship models is that they require the skills of a surgeon and the patience of a saint....

You cannot build one that looks good without photoetch in today's modeling environment...

And I just don't have those skills.....

Sorry...

Quote:

2 minutes ago, RGL said:

Nope, don’t give up,

I second this, perhaps just short sessions along side an amour build or maybe another piece of towed artillery or support vehicle.

You can do it brother!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

A wide old modeler told me, many moons ago, to take some time to kick back a while, then just build something for yourself, without trying to to build the world's best "whatchamacallit". Gotta recharge the modeler's batteries, mate.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, RGL said:

Nope, don’t give up, just start in a small bit. I’ve just found nearly all my CA has gone off and is pretty much useless, so I’m taking the weekend off awaiting new CA and having a few beers. You can do this. 

5 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I second this, perhaps just short sessions along side an amour build or maybe another piece of towed artillery or support vehicle.

You can do it brother!

I'm not giving up, just very frustrated right now... And real life just jumped up in a big way.....

I will be back....

Thank Ed, Greg for your support and understanding...

Edited by Egilman

Quote: