The Walled Harbour of Wilberton - Diorama - Aedes Ars - 1/87 - by Kevin - December 2020

Kevin

52 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have to ask  (can not help myself)   are you going to do some figures?

OC.

It is addictive, have the last 15 townspeople to paint and tempted to outsource them to O.C. given the results he gets.  Looking forward to seeing what you are planning as I am still battling through my cloisters.

1 hour ago, Waitoa said:

It is addictive, have the last 15 townspeople to paint and tempted to outsource them to O.C. given the results he gets.  Looking forward to seeing what you are planning as I am still battling through my cloisters.

Would do them with my pleasure  - dont know how they would get here and back though.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

With the river valley there is scope for watchtowers, a mill maybe a small boat yard

These kits definitely stimulate the imagination. I plan to upgrade the harbour part of the Rochelle Towers with an attempt at water effect rather than using the blue paint provided in the kit. Then a couple of boats under sail. I was thinking today about trying to retrieve the illumination plan. Maybe it would be possible to snake some fibre optics through the card formers.

everything on the board to the left of the city wall will be raised by about an inch to allow some depth of the river, 

the wall along to back and right side will be wide enough for troops and cruise ship passengers of the future,

some electrics depending on time,

i will be able to extend the river to allow a port and fields, however i am also aware just how much  work one building will take, never mind the 1000's of bricks just for the city wall, here in the UK, it is cheaper, just to buy the kits for the bricks rather than sourcing them  from Spain 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

This sounds like how my last model railroad layout went. Wife allowed me to start with a simple 4x8 sheet of plywood and a simple oval track. Over the following 10 years, it grew into a horseshoe shape covering the entire 14 x 24 basement room until we moved. She is being much more cautious on what she approves for my new train layout. 🤣

Looking forward to seeing this evolve as I love dioramas and I think you have a good plan to get started.  I would suggest that besides raising the entire land area the inch for the water beds, you slope the entire land area from the castle to the water, to give a more noticeable elevation change and most castle would be built upon higher land than the surrounding village. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

17 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

This sounds like how my last model railroad layout went. Wife allowed me to start with a simple 4x8 sheet of plywood and a simple oval track. Over the following 10 years, it grew into a horseshoe shape covering the entire 14 x 24 basement room until we moved. She is being much more cautious on what she approves for my new train layout. 🤣

Looking forward to seeing this evolve as I love dioramas and I think you have a good plan to get started.  I would suggest that besides raising the entire land area the inch for the water beds, you slope the entire land area from the castle to the water, to give a more noticeable elevation change and most castle would be built upon higher land than the surrounding village. 

great idea on the gentle slope

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Uh-oh, Kevin.  Looks like you took a look into the rabbit hole and fell in.  It's a long way down from which coming back will be hard.:D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i was pushed in,  by him over there, the one wearing the face covering

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes

day 2 after reset

well i made a start , i wanted to incorporate the bridge, as it was 99% complete, the base from the kit was stored away for another day, and another one built in its place

i am working in scale 1/160 to 1/180 

1/160= N scale and 1 foot=1.9mm if im correct the new wall is 41 feet high

once this corner is sorted (not necessary complete) i will have a good idea on a how things are going to work

IMG_8384.JPG

IMG_8385.JPG

IMG_8386.JPG

IMG_8387.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

IMG_8389.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

IMG_8392.JPG

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8398.JPG

IMG_8399.JPG

IMG_8400.JPG

IMG_8401.JPG

IMG_8402.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8404.JPG

IMG_8405.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

18 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Uh-oh, Kevin.  Looks like you took a look into the rabbit hole and fell in.  It's a long way down from which coming back will be hard.:D

16 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i was pushed in,  by him over there, the one wearing the face covering

I'm feelin' for him, I'll throw him a Jacobs ladder, if I can find one long enough.....

But I will advise, If I can find it, don't be surprised if he chooses not to use it.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

So much work involved in this  - hope I can do mine justice  when I start.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Send Alice and the March Hare down there, too, while you're at it.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Send Alice and the March Hare down there, too, while you're at it.

allice can come if she makes a nice korma curry, and willing to clean up after me, 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

you don't want 'little fingers' in there......do you?!?!?   he blossomed from a brothel owner to a major villain!  so good to see him get his just deserves! ;) 

Arya was my sweetheart :wub:  I haven't found her yet.

207239054_JohnDaenerys.jpg.1f633eb9aad21ddc75d4d26bf858924e.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

you don't want 'little fingers' in there......do you?!?!?   he blossomed from a brothel owner to a major villain!  so good to see him get his just deserves! ;) 

Arya was my sweetheart :wub:  I haven't found her yet.

207239054_JohnDaenerys.jpg.1f633eb9aad21ddc75d4d26bf858924e.jpg

i not only found her, i married her, wish she would house train the dam dragon

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

day 3 since restart

the left side of the river bridge is complete for now, i bulked out the base of the span to look a little more realistic

IMG_8407.thumb.JPG.ae6409809b6a469cd85e3abacb6d79c2.JPG

the city entrance wall is on the table now, with two arch entries, and will be defended by watch towers on either side

the base carcase is balsa covered with card inside the arches is wood, for a contrast as i only have 20,000 grey bricks, i need to find out if they can re coloured/stained

IMG_8408.thumb.JPG.2ed49cacc1b916e3200e1f6bb340fd69.JPGIMG_8409.thumb.JPG.1bc250b584c521658d83e68d4683f6c0.JPGIMG_8410.thumb.JPG.7e6ad345768595eb901b8555e8dc929d.JPGIMG_8411.thumb.JPG.68f0fe824380793803f11f8d0dbfd19d.JPGIMG_8412.thumb.JPG.5f5624e6f1ba19566029a2ad99d6e047.JPGIMG_8413.thumb.JPG.b04231d7fa8a58e22dcf89421583e4ed.JPGIMG_8414.thumb.JPG.2d613daa23f9182d5b62505a900591ff.JPG

helpoort-or-hells-gate-is-part-of-the-old-city-wall-in-maastricht-louise-heusinkveld.jpg.1bbd54f598be555283acb1f894c3afef.jpg

178237938_download(9).jpeg.9071d50da521c29a1c975464ce48f45f.jpegone-of-only-three-medieval-city-gates-still-standing-the-spalentor-G7KF46.thumb.jpg.d823e2ae3577035d2bc7698a6a35ee8a.jpg

178237938_download(9).jpeg.9071d50da521c29a1c975464ce48f45f.jpeg

IMG_8407.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

Day 4 city gates

im still experimenting and try to see what works for me, i appreciate this is a model ship site not kevin's do anything site, but as i am allowed i want to keep my followers  interested, and I am accepting helpful advice and ideas

the large gates are 25' x 25' each, i will put wooden gates in and portcullis later on, not sure what to do with the long white wall to the left  it looks a bit bear at present, 

IMG_8415.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8424.JPG

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8428.JPG

a quick tidy up to see what i have achieved 

IMG_8435.thumb.JPG.f1911c6132052e80d1d20888350bc9be.JPGIMG_8436.thumb.JPG.fdf0f465c570b9cf35563dcefa15acb1.JPGIMG_8429.thumb.JPG.2459fa8fe069cba5ddd7866d02fdb056.JPGIMG_8430.thumb.JPG.60b8e65a8e1b9fff42e4b6bbaeadc570.JPGIMG_8431.thumb.JPG.2d1ebd682db996d053a9b44014bb2a48.JPGIMG_8432.thumb.JPG.d4e02f5e995e3fad26aafa07946a4aa9.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Would the waterway  be  fortified I wonder?   how about some ramparts?   I would imagine most castles and fortified  areas close to the castle would be so, infact I have seen that myself  on some of our old hols.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

For your arches, you may want to make a row of stones that follows the curvature, like the big bridge in the kit. Otherwise, in reality, your stones cannot hold in suspension. I think the aesthetics of your city entrance arches would benefit a lot. Don't you think so? 😀

If I were in your place, along the wall on the left, I would make wooden warehouses and a repair shipyard for example...

Edited by Ekis

I agree with Ekis on the arch stones, follow the curvature with a single large keystone top centre

image.png.0f1d792a97cde436fe1b1d382eb9a44d.png

Photo from internet 

I think perhaps that you might need a gate house much like the York bar type

micbar1.jpg.f7f71b9d1b072415101ce45cd06fa87d.jpg

Pic from net

A good example is Micklegate Bar.

I'll stop now and get my coat😂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Dont know if this will help much Kevin,  its  from Pembroke in Wales  I took the photo  - it shows the town  fortification wall that extended out from the castle and wrapped around the town  giving the people some defence.

OC.

Castle_.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks guys, that was certainly a school boy error with the arch stones, i was thinking about a gate house prior to the arches, but to make space for the river and roads i may have to alter the wall, perhaps move the arches more towards the bridge

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

up in the computer room at present thinking whats wrong with the build,  

possibly a rethink time, i may swing the whole bridge assembly around and have the river passing through along the back, by doing so i will loose space but bring in another idea of the London bridge housing scheme

123686463_10157540139711587_5315103414754804618_n.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

decided i didnt like the current layout, the river was to tight a bend and i was already thinking about addon boards, which should not be necessary on day 3/4

so i moved the bridge over  and placed a shipyard in, and boat traffic passengers  the base board will be water height, and the waterside river gates are being revamped to include towers

from this

IMG_8436.thumb.JPG.d11b768e3a0e65a3e121168b4fb22ae8.JPG

to this 

IMG_8437.thumb.JPG.03d125e1e972aa9593c5afdf7aded2b1.JPGIMG_8438.thumb.JPG.096f11e3e798a5db2e804828aac7d81e.JPGIMG_8439.thumb.JPG.463f03988e15b0f8f3423ca5842b6910.JPGIMG_8440.thumb.JPG.325ac123eb68af453a8d9dd8355dd3b6.JPGIMG_8441.thumb.JPG.dd03cac3fc213001e1c5c6c3e501ca60.JPGIMG_8442.thumb.JPG.11732f31d10d2869bbcc9da6dc02a149.JPGIMG_8443.thumb.JPG.10c4e1b52b7681dc51a9f3f959b491fe.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

day 5 complete layout change, and revamp river entrance

after the mistake made yesterday with the arch supports, and struggling how to get the river to flow with purpose  i made the decision to do a complete layout change, and now much happier with the way things are going, the river is just  a channel now feeding the shipyard and passengers to the city by boat

the 2nd arch has gone, although i might keep both open on the other side for something, light a medieval Eastenders under bridge garage

IMG_8443.thumb.JPG.a8ea58ea3ea3fd25a464140e8c98a155.JPGIMG_8444.thumb.JPG.3ff2dc5118307232224a90c606662e71.JPGIMG_8445.thumb.JPG.3e6802060df29f3655d68af7f409fd31.JPGIMG_8448.thumb.JPG.3310432134aa3a0953d607c027cd5302.JPGIMG_8450.thumb.JPG.4a0bc7b0dabdb3b5aaa55021b732e0ad.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

day 7 since restart, now changed scale to 1/87

having made the decision to up the scale, everything will now have to be scratched, 

so i made a start, and decided like others to start on a church

the card i am using is to thin for this project, and i have not dressed my tiles very well, but, nothing i wasted if i redo it again, i may try and cleans the tiles up with filler first before binning it, 

googled a English medieval church with square tower, 1000's to choose from and all different picked some of the bits i could copy and went for it

IMG_8454.thumb.JPG.c51188eab243f1c5c3039e478a4b770e.JPGIMG_8455.thumb.JPG.7dbbc07dbe9cf356f9e2376b37f04478.JPGIMG_8456.thumb.JPG.05dc1ab8dbc0d1241dc85adae695b58d.JPGIMG_8457.thumb.JPG.21b5e04dad6bd058ecf10139e1446d88.JPGIMG_8458.thumb.JPG.236a6fa6eac37b97d0be2a0f286a1721.JPGIMG_8459.thumb.JPG.3b10c189eace2de543e1af5357359dea.JPGIMG_8460.thumb.JPG.378bafd8e242694f844fcb272502697a.JPGIMG_8461.thumb.JPG.fe59ae5ed255a6346ad10b6df63a1983.JPGIMG_8462.thumb.JPG.5cfe1799be2c7848e69b3d551b504142.JPGIMG_8463.thumb.JPG.0dc0bbf8a5840cac0687d69a9804b896.JPGIMG_8464.thumb.JPG.4021cfa3ca8bf1d97231b43773e85886.JPGIMG_8465.thumb.JPG.f38a38a62eb95481b7c8b67f71583205.JPGIMG_8466.thumb.JPG.6fcc69e8cd2cef5d93ab2753acf35e7d.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Using similar card and my suggestion is to use internal bracing as I have a lot of bowing in the walls which makes it hard to get things level and looking dressed.  I now use the dust created from sanding and basically brush it into any gaps I see and the either wet it lightly to make it return to clay and leave it to dry or in some cases use a Matt varnish to hold it into place.  This doesn’t remove the gaps but lessens how much it stands out when you look at it and seems to work well.

1 minute ago, Waitoa said:

Using similar card and my suggestion is to use internal bracing as I have a lot of bowing in the walls which makes it hard to get things level and looking dressed.  I now use the dust created from sanding and basically brush it into any gaps I see and the either wet it lightly to make it return to clay and leave it to dry or in some cases use a Matt varnish to hold it into place.  This doesn’t remove the gaps but lessens how much it stands out when you look at it and seems to work well.

i have tried several ways now, with varying results, there is certainly a fine line between how mine looks and the dressed version, and i think you said in one of your post, there are certainly builds that dont suit the fine finish, this is one of them

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I save the dust and mix it with diluted white glue and use it to fill gaps or build up low spots. Just a variation. I brushed dust into the gaps of the watchtower before dealing it with matte varnish.

I think resizing to 1/87 is a great idea. The construction and the block sizes then fit into scale. I'm realizing that with my 1/200 Towers of Rochelle I'm going to end up with a recognizable model of the real thing but it won't pass close scrutiny for detail. 

5 hours ago, king derelict said:

I save the dust and mix it with diluted white glue and use it to fill gaps or build up low spots. Just a variation. I brushed dust into the gaps of the watchtower before dealing it with matte varnish.

I think resizing to 1/87 is a great idea. The construction and the block sizes then fit into scale. I'm realizing that with my 1/200 Towers of Rochelle I'm going to end up with a recognizable model of the real thing but it won't pass close scrutiny for detail. 

agreed, to build a one off kit in 1/180 was fine, but to put a collection together, wasnt going to work for me because of the lack of detail,  however, lol i rescaled  my 1/150  Bodiam castle kit to 1/87, and it is to big for my table as it measures 900x650

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/model-kits/architectural-brick-model-kits/aedes-ars-bodiam-castle-model-kit-architectural-model-kit

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished