Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc by Lt. Biggles - Hasegawa - 1/48

So decided to take you guys up on your invite to join you down the back here!

im just a few weeks away from finishing my ship so was starting to wonder what I’d do once complete. Needed something smaller and fun after the investment of time in a ship build.

Ordered the kit and just a few extras so far like seat belt and canopy masking. Won’t do any open hatches or internals apart from the cockpit and that I may enhance slightly but will see what the kit one looks like.

E23E82AB-0DBD-4C1A-8D90-CEB52DF86A52.jpeg.a8c0fefb90aab56ea1b77936fca4a28a.jpeg

This is my idea which I did back to front really. I don’t want to just make the plane from the box I want to find a real pilot and remake their plane at least for a guide. As I’m from New Zealand I’ve been doing some research on people in the RNZAF who flew the Hurricane Mk II and if I can find anyone from around my area “east coast of the North Island” then that will be my pick! If I can’t find one then just a fellow Kiwi who flew preferably in the European theatre. I just like it when there is more meaning behind a project. 

Feel free to chat all over over this log and help me out. I work as a pilot so at least I should know what most of the things do on an aircraft unlike my knowledge of ships haha, but I’ll not start this build until my ship is complete so a few weeks away yet I’d say.

I'm in, I'll get a chair instead of rafter hanging😄, nice idea of doing a local pilot!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm in, grabbing the middle easy chair before anyone else does....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'll ease on in to the front row for this one.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Move over chaps  - I'm here also  - can't sit at the back not tall enough.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm here tootrtrtttttttt { pizza sauce on the keys.....:blush: }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

9 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'll get a chair instead of rafter hanging😄

Coward!:D............. Looks like I'm up here all by my lonesome this time. Let me know and I can help hold the light for you.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Possibly a little batty in my advanced years. But it is seldom I get to look down on anyone these days.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Possibly a little batty in my advanced years. But it is seldom I get to look down on anyone these days.

Get some high heel boots lou.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good grief OC!!!😆

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

You could join this forum and ask for some assistance in locating a Kiwi Hurricane pilot. http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/forum.php The guys there are very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge between them all.

Rick

This is certainly the best place to be hanging out! 😂 While you have been all fighting over the seats I’ve been learning a lot while I try and work out what aircraft I’ll be building. Happy to have you all along for the ride!

For now I’ll just be thinking out loud on here and can summarise what I learn about New Zealand’s part in the RAF as we tend to “slide under the radar” due to our small size and just tagged along and helped support all the major nations operations.

In almost all the RAF squadrons there was a kiwi flying at some point during the war.

I'll join lou in the cheap seats in the balcony.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 11/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, Edwardkenway said:

Good grief OC!!!😆

I should have worded that better  - I meant the 70s style boots with  big heals  - good for extra hight.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

42 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'll join lou in the cheap seats in the balcony.  

How you gonna moderate from all the way up there  - hope you have one of those long pointing sticks.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

hope you have one of those long pointing sticks.

I'm sure he does, probably one of those long rulers as well, but I don't know how well practiced he is in using one.... {chuckle}

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Best behaviour from now on then😁

Current builds;

Completed:

I will lend Mark one of the high powered Nerf guns my grand kids have laying around here from years of filling Christmas lists. The Barrett .50 sniper rifle will fire a Nerf dart so hard that it can sting on bare skin at 25 feet!

THAT should keep all of you in check................ Well at least part of the time! If that doesn't work then I also have a Nerf mortar that the youngest got last year. He spent a week making a mortar from an old mailing tube I gave him and stuff he had laying around in his room. Even though it would not really fire he had a lot of fun with it so I found the Nerf style mortar that actually fires rockets across the room. They don't hit all that hard but still get your attention when they drop on your head!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ever build a potato/tennis ball cannon? My nosegunner and I built one in Thailand and we'd shoot tennis balls at the dart board in our hooch bar. We were a touch too rowdy for the O Club, if you can imagine that. Shot our squadron commander in the chest when he entered the bar as he jinked into our line of fire. Chased us around the outside of the  hooch bar for a few laps and we all went back in for beers.

We had a bell hanging in front of the door under a 4-5 foot Phantom. Intended to Remind people to remove their hats as they entered the bar. Guys could jink left or right , but that night was a big poker game so jinking left was not an option. He popped into our line of fire as I put the match to the  firing hole. Too late, frontseater was dead on the center of the dart board and the CO's chest. It wasn't much of a welt.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Best behaviour from now on then😁

All of us?   wonder who the cheeky one is?😃☺️

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

42 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I will lend Mark one of the high powered Nerf guns my grand kids have laying around here from years of filling Christmas lists. The Barrett .50 sniper rifle will fire a Nerf dart so hard that it can sting on bare skin at 25 feet!

THAT should keep all of you in check................ Well at least part of the time! If that doesn't work then I also have a Nerf mortar that the youngest got last year. He spent a week making a mortar from an old mailing tube I gave him and stuff he had laying around in his room. Even though it would not really fire he had a lot of fun with it so I found the Nerf style mortar that actually fires rockets across the room. They don't hit all that hard but still get your attention when they drop on your head!:D

Blimy Lou  - can imagine you lot playing  - play battle in your house with Nerf guns and mortars   - bet your admiral would be pleased walking into the house - Full on battle  of Lou's Land.😊

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

30 minutes ago, Canute said:

Ever build a potato/tennis ball cannon? My nosegunner and I built one in Thailand and we'd shoot tennis balls at the dart board in our hooch bar. We were a touch too rowdy for the O Club, if you can imagine that. Shot our squadron commander in the chest when he entered the bar as he jinked into our line of fire. Chased us around the outside of the  hooch bar for a few laps and we all went back in for beers.

We had a bell hanging in front of the door under a 4-5 foot Phantom. Intended to Remind people to remove their hats as they entered the bar. Guys could jink left or right , but that night was a big poker game so jinking left was not an option. He popped into our line of fire as I put the match to the  firing hole. Too late, frontseater was dead on the center of the dart board and the CO's chest. It wasn't much of a welt.

Between you and Lou  - "Blimy"   can imagine a Full on play mayhem  Nerfs and potato/tennis balls going everywere.😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

play battle in your house with Nerf guns and mortars   - bet your admiral would be pleased walking into the house

Oh what a reminder.... 10-11 years old, spring loaded shotguns firing ping-pong balls for christmas, my brother and I.... bunch of little paper targets came with them... but never even got assembled...

We would have shooting battles all over the house much to mothers trepidation.... but she tolerated it.... they didn't hit hard enough to break anything, but could reach across a 25'room with some fair accuracy.... Until one day she was turning a corner into the direct line of fire.....

She would never tell who was the cuplrit, but the ping pong ball that hit her in the backside did it for the spring-loaded shotguns... within two days they disappeared while we were at school, we were smart enough then not to ask..... 

She would always get a chuckle out of us retelling that story 40 years later... (she even giggled herself at the retelling even though it wasn't very funny to her at the time)

Quote:

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

How you gonna moderate from all the way up there  - hope you have one of those long pointing sticks.

OC.

Oh... I'm supposed to moderate instead of tend to the popcorn machine????   Damn, no one told me.    No pointing sticks, long rulers, potato guns (yeah.. I've done those), nope... nada.  You're on your best behavior and if you lot aren't, I'll take the popcorn machine away.   nootjes_en_popcorn_31.gif.0e04af434e793fc3f95aa1e530bf574b.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ever build a potato/tennis ball cannon?

Yes, but the best in my opinion is the ping pong ball gun we still have around here somewhere. They really move out but still won't brake the windows.

We were a touch too rowdy for the O Club, if you can imagine that.

No I can't. I have been taken in as a guest a number of times and on some nights "rowdy" was nowhere near descriptive enough.

bet your admiral would be pleased walking into the house

My wife has raised three sons and two grandsons to date for a total of just over 50 years of uninterrupted boys. (She has always wanted a girl but with her luck she would have been a Tom Boy) Our only two girls are our grand daughters who live two rather large US states away. There is not much "Boy" stuff my wife has not experienced, and once in a great while, participated in.

6 hours ago, Canute said:

Shot our squadron commander in the chest

If your O club was as small as ours was then your CO must have been one tough dude to take a potato point blank in the chest and still be able to chase you guys around the club. I bet I know who had to buy a few rounds that night!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, it was a tennis ball and it did raise some welt. And the room was about 20 feet long. Must have hurt like heck, too. Hence the rat race around the hooches. We ducked out the storeroom door and ran snickering around back. He followed and we all ended up out on the grassy area in front of the bar, laughing at the faux pas. The CO was a good guy, who we'd fly thru heck for.  We were in our squadron area, nowhere near the O Club. We could only eat there; the bar was off limits for my squadron at various times. :rolleyes:

Ken