1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Stock Car - AMT - 1:25 Scale

1 hour ago, CDW said:

This idea of leaving a package beside your mailbox at the roadside is ridiculous and can easily result in a lost package.

More like GUARANTEED lost package, At least in my city anymore. Over the last couple of years especially since the election of the new mayor porch pirate activity has escalated tremendously. People even get pictures of the thief in the act with their porch cameras but it seems there is no follow up. 

On the other hand, a more affluent city down by Seattle has started putting trackers in selected bait packages and other methods to start catching these people and prosecuting them.

I had a package carrier, (Amazon) just throw a package over the fence next to the sidewalk once and I spent quite some time on the phone with Amazon giving them a piece of my mind about it. I didn't really expect anything but being retired I have time to do things like that. Surprisingly the person on the phone said that they would put a note on delivery instructions to my address that items are only to be left on the porch next to the front door. Have not had a problem with Amazon since so maybe they were telling the truth and it worked. Like you say though, none of them knock or ring  the doorbell either. But I have that sometimes covered by owning a little yappy dog that goes crazy at the front door if he hears them.

I have not had a problem with the other carriers, other than to have them say the package was out for delivery and it does not come until the next day or Monday.  Knock on wood! I suppose it is only a matter of time as the entire package delivery system depends on part time people who either work the season and are gone, or in the case of USPS go to work as part time, hoping to become full time and get ignored and over worked for a year or two without benefits and quit. They have the attitude that this method works fine and there are always more waiting to come to work for USPS. For those few who make it, in many cases it is a lifetime of gravy train and benefits with little fear of being fired.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, CDW said:

My route mail carrier is great. He never fails to bring my packages to the door, but when he's off or on vacation, all bets are off.

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Same here

I used to have one like that as well, until covid hit and she disappeared, USPS hasn't come to the door since..... (they don't even get out of the truck if they can avoid it)

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Have not had a problem with Amazon since so maybe they were telling the truth and it worked.

Me too, and FedEx at least still comes to the door, none of them ring anymore and I'm beginning to wonder about FedEx..... What I really hate, is Amazon using the USPS on Sundays.... The Mail people really hate it as well, according to the ones I've talked with, they don't get paid extra for working sundays delivering packages.....

Anyway, deliver us some 427 goodness brother, and we can at least know we have been delivered something worth the wait....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

they don't get paid extra for working sundays delivering packages.....

That is because the PO uses the new hires and temps for this work and as they are non union part time, they don't have to be paid other than normal hours. USPS gets paid by Amazon but they keep as much as possible for the PO not the employee.

It funny about the knocking part. I no sooner brought it up today that they no longer knock, and the UPS driver knocked on the door today for the first time in like forever. He must have been listening!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

30 minutes ago, CDW said:

Good photos of an original 1966 Ford 427 SOHC crate engine.

Makes our hobby look downright affordable!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

37 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That is because the PO uses the new hires and temps for this work and as they are non union part time, they don't have to be paid other than normal hours. USPS gets paid by Amazon but they keep as much as possible for the PO not the employee.

It funny about the knocking part. I no sooner brought it up today that they no longer knock, and the UPS driver knocked on the door today for the first time in like forever. He must have been listening!

Waiting for his Christmas tip.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I used to leave a Christmas present in the mailbox for my mailman back in the day when I had the same person all year long and even knew him by name. Now days I am lucky if I get the same person three days in a row and they have no idea who even lives in my house. I get mail sometimes for people who have not lived at this address for over twenty years. I also get mail that was supposed to be dropped of at my neighbors.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I used to leave a Christmas present in the mailbox for my mailman back in the day when I had the same person all year long and even knew him by name. Now days I am lucky if I get the same person three days in a row and they have no idea who even lives in my house. I get mail sometimes for people who have not lived at this address for over twenty years. I also get mail that was supposed to be dropped of at my neighbors.

Same here sometime Lou,   the postal service can be all over the place  - as long as they dont leave it in the only covered thing outdoors   - our bin  on bin empty day,       they have been known to put it in there.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have an order that I'm waiting on.......the witcher,  season 1,  DVD........one of the admiral's Christmas presents.  I ordered it back at the beginning of Nov.....heard nothing until the other day,  when I sent an email to the guy asking if it had been shipped.  took him a day,  but he replied,  supplying a tracking number and the date he mailed it.  for now,  it is in transit from N.Y..  I had another one......a conversion set for the B 25 {to replace the piece I lost},  that Lou had suggested to me.  it was coming from China.......they cancelled the order and put the money back into my account,  stating that they cannot ship due to covid,  at this point in time.  I tried to fins another place to get the part,  but I wasn't successful.   I'll look into when things get better I guess.

I had a Ford Galaxy 500 convertible,   when I was a young lad.   the rag was pretty worn and the rear window was all cloudy and fogged.  I had a bumper sticker on the back that said " don't laugh mister,  your daughter might be in here!"  it had a 289 with auto trans.  the valve seals were worn,  so it smoked a bit.......brought it back from the dead a couple of times ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Good photos of an original 1966 Ford 427 SOHC crate engine.

I know where there is one of those sitting on a shelf right now.... Not for sale of course..... Owner has plans for it.... (but that's what he's been saying now for 30 years)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

26 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

it had a 289 with auto trans.  the valve seals were worn,  so it smoked a bit.......brought it back from the dead a couple of times

Yep, the old C-4 single band tranny...... Rebuilt a lot of them along with 283's with Powerslides....... Some tough little motors those were...

Quote:

when I first got the car.......the bracket for the left side traction bar had rotted out.   my dad and I measured and welded a new box in there.....bolted up like a charm ;)    the right side went bad some time later......we just welded some metal in there to hold it.  I lost the gas tank in it one winter morning......I had just filled it up.  the last hurrah was getting pulled over in Derry N.H. by the police........the smoke was a little too much for them  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

They didn't believe you were spraying for mosquitoes? ;):D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 12/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, CDW said:

Have done some basic things to start off the build sequence for this model...removed molded on chrome trim, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, painted, then sanded some more on the car body. The color scheme is quite simple, a white body with a red top. The headlight and tail light covers will also be red. The steel wheels will be black. The decal scheme will be for the Harvest Ford, #41, driven by Curtis Turner. The decal sheet is on order and I am at the mercy of the post office. They will hopefully arrive in another week.

IMG_1294.thumb.jpg.b5f5cfcc7e33e60905d55963e32a5312.jpgIMG_1295.thumb.jpg.312ce2035c3c7ece5aab960782d77aa6.jpgIMG_1296.thumb.jpg.d42ff5f8a77432569997e551876ba959.jpg

This is how I wire a distributor. Just drill out the distributor cap and super glue pre-colored wiring in place.

IMG_1290.thumb.jpg.074a91f391a66d473c8bccc7686eca25.jpgIMG_1291.thumb.jpg.7ba3087df26b5d6e0c84d28fcc36254e.jpg

Here is the massive Ford 427 cubic inch single overhead cam racing engine. A huge black air filter/breather will sit on top of the manifold/carburetor. 

IMG_1292.thumb.jpg.fd4040c0d745e110385ac7841a9a686d.jpgIMG_1293.thumb.jpg.e1df24fc3d3f61fcdc3b0f7afb513e78.jpg

That's all for now.  

Now that definitely is one motor that never came through the machine shop lots of talk about it even that one was still sat  in a crate at Big Daddy's in FL but again it was 1985 20 years after the beast inception.Now you know why I do not do cars after 40 years in the industry but I still luv upgrades just hate repair.Lets see what you can do to that 427cid beast Craig will be looking in.;)

3 hours ago, Javlin said:

Now that definitely is one motor that never came through the machine shop lots of talk about it even that one was still sat  in a crate at Big Daddy's in FL but again it was 1985 20 years after the beast inception.Now you know why I do not do cars after 40 years in the industry but I still luv upgrades just hate repair.Lets see what you can do to that 427cid beast Craig will be looking in.;)

I highly recommend stopping by Big Daddy Don Garlit's museum if any of you are ever travelling south down I-75 through Florida. There is so much history and beautiful machines in there. Bring a good camera with lots of memory because you will want to take a ton of photos.

Just a few dry fit photos with the interior tub, engine bay (not complete), and the chassis all fitted to the body. 

I had forgotten how simplistic these old kits were made. Not too great details, this one even has the old steel axles so kids could roll them on the floor after they were assembled. The body car itself is fairly well done so at the least one can get a decent looking race car replica out of it when it's finished. 

Once I receive those decals I ordered, it won't take long at all to finish this old model. Maybe I should have added a little crash/road rash damage to it to make it look more authentic? 

In the meantime, I may start another kit while I wait on the decals to finish this one.

IMG_1302.thumb.jpg.662bcc98ab947d3bc0f669643882a512.jpgIMG_1303.thumb.jpg.fd0aa3a5b23db2df19e0983d9ce39bf3.jpgIMG_1304.thumb.jpg.5022b2d85561999b80667ad0146f93b6.jpgIMG_1306.thumb.jpg.bf57b4c715031c7fd2c429b4c7f080f7.jpgIMG_1300.thumb.jpg.71259d618a16cbaf8e423df350c0a7ea.jpg

On 12/10/2020 at 5:39 PM, Old Collingwood said:

they have been known to put it in there.

If my postman did that he would have to go to the back yard where it is located. Then I would be a little upset. I know that sometimes my buying choices can be a bit on the trashy side but who is he to decide?

On 12/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, popeye the sailor said:

a conversion set for the B 25 {to replace the piece I lost}

That's too bad Denis. It looked almost perfect for your problem.  At least he returned your money. If you had known, another set that may have worked sole on eBay for a little less than $18 a few days ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-B-25J-by-Monogram-for-parts-or-restore-/333816413906?hash=item4db9023ed2%3Ag%3AMWQAAOSwtYNfzYPr&nma=true&si=5UfrHRb3SAVqgNx3kIne3ly%2B3Mk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe you can get lucky and find what you need a little closer to home and less expensive.

That huge engine looks so bare just sitting there Craig!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That huge engine looks so bare just sitting there Craig!

There is so much under the hood that's less than an authentic race car equipped engine bay. One could spend a lot of time scratch building all the details that should be under the hood. But that's not something I care to do at this time. Once I put this all together, the hood will remain in place and the only thing people who see it will notice is the finished model with the hood closed. 

The blond haired boy you see in this photo is my son who is now 40 years old. I'm guessing the photo was taken around or about 1994 or '95. 

I bought the pair of 1969 Chevelles you see in the photos for $1,200 back then, and used the junker for a parts car to restore the better looking one.

It was the last American muscle car I owned after a long string of them over the previous years. Still regret selling this one. A friend sold me a Buick 455 cubic inch V-8 that I rebuilt and installed in the Chevelle along with a turbo 400 automatic tranny.

img050.jpg.df8b1dd9030e70690a8056284954468b.jpg  

The perfect sleeper.....

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

The perfect sleeper.....

Oh man, it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. The exotic car crowd would get pissed when I would blow their doors off with this thing. A lot of people didn't know how good those Buick 455's were. A much different engine than the Oldsmobile 455's and different than the Chevy 454's, too. A better bore-stroke combination in my opinion. Over 400 HP and gobs of torque.

The other car I had lots of fun with was a '66 4 door Biscayne that ran a real hot 400 cubic inch small block Chevy engine a friend built for me. Wasn't quite as fast as the Chevelle, but caught a lot more people by surprise. It was a real runner.

Yep a 400 stroker, lose a little in the top end but almost double the torque.... (ie. never get beat off the line) Most races are won at the start..... That would surprise a lot of people....

Mine was a '73 C-10, Edlebrock tuned CJC 350 with 2.02 heads, hooker tuned headers, 4" collectors, packs, in an old grey primered forest service long bed stepside.. Was loud until the cops gave me a noise ticket... Then hung 3.5" turbo mufflers behind the packs, noiseless at normal throttle after that... 5.72 in the rear end, beat everyone to the 1/8th pole....  pull anything anywhere.....

Put your foot in it sounded like SIR on race day.... That was a fun truck....

Everything was tucked up next to the frame rails so you couldn't see the 4" pipes ducking out from under the bed step.....

The hot cars were the 350 ci monte's around here, with everyone thinking they were Big Daddy, or Don Pru.... they would throw an RV cam and dual exhaust in them with racing tires on cragars and think they had something special.... Took a lot of money off those boys till they learned.... Don't mess with the junky old chevy pickup......

Those were the days my friend.... 

Quote:

My late farther used to buy  cheap old UK Fords  Like the  Cortina  mk 2   and mk 3, he used to get them  dirt cheap  second hand  and do them up as good as he could  including  brush painting both of them   - I helped him hand paint the mk3  with Tekaloid paint he got from his works  - he had it made up in his works paint  shop,    I remember  we would mask up an area at a time with newspaper  then paint  say a whole wing  then rear  wing  - doors  bonnet  - boot   - roof   etc   not the best  in the summer with all those flies and nats in the  out doors.

I also remember us doing a top end referb  putting new  guides in and piston seals.

Like these pics off the net.

OC.

mk3.jpg

Mk2.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

My late farther used to buy  cheap old UK Fords  Like the  Cortina  mk 2   and mk 3, he used to get them  dirt cheap  second hand  and do them up as good as he could  including  brush painting both of them   -

My brother and I restored an old English Ford one time. Came out great and was lots of fun to drive. it was a much earlier model than the ones in your photos. If I remember correctly, an early 60's model, like a '62 or maybe earlier, I don't recall. It had a small, but common 4 cylinder inline engine that was found in many English cars in that day. Might have been a Ford engine in fact, license built.

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

My brother and I restored an old English Ford one time. Came out great and was lots of fun to drive. it was a much earlier model than the ones in your photos. If I remember correctly, an early 60's model, like a '62 or maybe earlier, I don't recall. It had a small, but common 4 cylinder inline engine that was found in many English cars in that day. Might have been a Ford engine in fact, license built.

Great cars for the money and  tons and tons of spares back then  - but  "Wow"    was they rust buckets.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just like the model, the massive 427 SOHC Ford engine completely filled the engine compartments of the cars equipped with it.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/cammer-the-real-story-of-the-legendary-ford-427-sohc-v8/

Reminds me of a time when I was 16 and found a big Chrysler Hemi engine in a scrap pile. Could have had the engine and transmission for free, but it was so big and heavy, I had to way to load or move it and gave up on that idea. Would have probably cost more to restore than I could ever afford at that time. Small block Chevy's have always been the most economical V-8's to restore or hot rod. The Ford parts cost more and Mopar was out of this world. So were Buick, Olds, and Pontiac parts when compared to Chevy's.

Edited by CDW

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Small block Chevy's have always been the most economical V-8's to restore or hot rod. The Ford parts cost more and Mopar was out of this world. So were Buick, Olds, and Pontiac parts when compared to Chevy's.

Yep, back in the day that is.. you could walk into any parts store and turn your 350 caprice station wagon engine into a 600 hp monster right over the counter..... (with a little creative machining, and knowing what you were looking for) I ran exclusively quadrajets on my chevy's, but then I knew what I was doing...... While the street racers were pumping holly double pumpers for their gassers, I was running a 1200 cfm quad......

For about two years Quadrajet built carbs for Ford who was fitting them for the 427 cobrajet..... It was worth 40 more HP when mounted to a throated and polished highrise 350....  Then there was the little application of a pair of waterpump pliers to a standard vacuum secondary quad to make it a mechanical constant opening secondary 4 bbl carb.... Nothing like twice as much gas into the intakes whenever you touch the pedal.... Back in my hotrodding days Smokey Yunnick was my hero....

Quote:

25 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Smokey Yunnick was my hero....

I still remember his big crash in qualifying. Atlanta '68?

EDIT: Googled it. It was '67 and Curtis Turner was driving Smokey's 'cheater' Chevelle. He walked away without a scratch.

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

I still remember his crash in qualifying at Atlanta. '68?

Hi Bruce,

It was qualifying for the '67 Atlanta 500, he was the car owner/builder which was being driven by Curtis Turner... the #13 Chevelle.....

As a driver he won 18 Stock Car/Grand National races A total of 57 wins, (mostly as a car builder/owner/crew chief) including and an indy race in '60, his driving career ended in '63.....

Other little tidbits, he flew with the Flying Tigers in china, and piloted 52 mission over Germany in a B-17 during WWII..... He was a certified aeronautical engineer and held 9 patents for racing engine improvements...... He was a real down home country boy, but if you wanted to build a fast car, he was one of the few who actually knew what he was talking about....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

In that great comedy 'Days of Thunder' the Robert Duvall character Harry Hogge must have been an homage to Smokey.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold