Orca by FlyingFish – FINISHED - Scale 1:20 - from the movie Jaws.

Perfection.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

4 hours ago, Redwine said:

This may be the vessel to rival Erik Hollander’s

Well that is high praise indeed, thank you Redwine!

I'll be posting some pictures of the forward deck soon. I want to finish by posting some pictures of the whole boat, but I'm waiting for a window in the weather to do some natural daylight photography. I think one of the reason Eric's boat stands out is that he is clearly a skilled photographer, and was able to get some brilliant lighting to highlight his skilled modelling. 

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Foredeck

Pulpit with coxcoamed rails attached, anchor, chain and rope fabricated, barrels fitted in place. floats, netting and storage box. The latter was made as a red plastic crate full of stores, and cover made from rolled flat ‘green stuff’.  Port pilot house window fitted part open to aid visibility of interior.

I have included the occasionally seen canvas covered box on the port forward locker deck, and an upside down ‘Ocean Institute’ box I saw in a photo of Hoopers kit that never made it into the film.

Again thanks to Holden8702 for supplying the resin barrels, four of which feature, and my best attempts at a turned and carved hardwood barrel make the fifth.

The lockers all open, and I’ve taken a guess at the contents on the one that is open in the photo. I’ve added some extra ropes and chain, jerry cans for fuel, and miscellaneous stores for effects. I hope Joe Alves would approve of the extra details.

Rigging attachments fitted to hull, and all weathered for effect.

The parallax of close up photography makes comparison shots difficult, and I really need to learn a lot more about this in the future.

Waterline and finished full boat shots to follow, when I can get my head around the Admirals digital camera!

P1020819_1280.JPG.65ceb6d53cf7a4f0e3fc3e01115ddb8d.JPG

fd7_1280.JPG.310850026650395d9e84088310c0b4d1.JPG

fd5_1280.JPG.d2486ce879bd366b4eb87e2c6120b324.JPG

P1020804_1280.JPG.04205c9133a258a5414f40b8b687847c.JPG

P1020800_1280.thumb.JPG.dc55a2b7139d37f2b48fe260f360c286.JPG

IMG_9773_1280.JPG.a0de641100bc87bffcc95a432ffe82d3.JPG

IMG_9771_1280.JPG.60b937f40d6dcbd40a4a95a676404a7e.JPG

P1020720_1280.JPG.a8faed90da44087cfde526d9c01ac4dd.JPG

Andy

Deceptive use of actors will confuse many to think it is the real thing. I assume it is the model I'm looking at??????

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

3 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Deceptive use of actors will confuse many to think it is the real thing. I assume it is the model I'm looking at??????

Add in the background and I had to scratch my brain... is it the real one or the model?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 12:25 PM, FlyingFish said:

I think one of the reason Eric's boat stands out is that he is clearly a skilled photographer, and was able to get some brilliant lighting to highlight his skilled modelling. 

I actually built that Orca of Erics and sold it to him back in 2012.I wasnt a fan of the hull shape,etc..so I didnt put alot of effort into finishing it. Eric did an AMAZING repaint and added several details and took some stellar photos, (he's a professional photographer,from what Ive heard) making it into an awesome Orca.But I will say yours is much more accurate as far as the overall design,etc..I look forward to seeing it complete.Great work.

10 hours ago, jlt13th said:

I wasnt a fan of the hull shape

Thanks for kind comments. Yes it's some way from your black and white photo of the hull in the sling you posted.... I sort of figured the rest out from Eric's comments on his site! Between you both you did a great job!

Andy

On 12/23/2021 at 8:19 AM, FlyingFish said:

Thanks for kind comments. Yes it's some way from your black and white photo of the hull in the sling you posted.... I sort of figured the rest out from Eric's comments on his site! Between you both you did a great job!

Its been a fun build to watch.I like the fact you did the lower cabin.In all the Orca's Ive built,I only did that once,and that was a half hull Orca.It wasnt great,as it was from about 12+ years ago.

Well, I think this project is complete, although I will build a permanent display stand and clear case to display Orca eventually. 

I think this could be the first ‘public’ Orca model to be built true to the traditional method for Novi lobster boat construction using frames; ribbands; ribs and planks, with a keel close to the original, and modelling the engine, and other below decks parts; pilot house as well as the lower trunk deck details, and all the film props. If I was to do this again there are still a few mistakes I would correct, as some dimensions and proportions had to be ‘guestimated’.

It’s been an interesting project, and I have learnt a lot, with help from many members, of course. Including the research and plan drawing there are hundreds of hours in the build. If there had to be a pandemic lockdown, it was not a bad way to pass the time.

Thanks for the 14K+ views and many thumbs up and comments, and the helpful information and advice - it is appreciated and has significantly improved the final model.

So, here’s some final pictures of the complete boat including one showing the decks removed to reveal the interior. 

image.thumb.png.58c1b460863c63746239fa18b3fd8870.png

starboard.thumb.jpg.9b79d00a6146dea97e8c582e8dc862c3.jpg

Port.jpg.e119ed4988e02eaba8ac1f039db963c0.jpg

image.thumb.png.88b619c9e588a4eb09c1ffa294e4683a.png

1998084564_forwardquarter.thumb.jpg.33ba6f945f2688e0db4375aaf5248145.jpg

image.thumb.png.ff622c8450beb0167c5878ae4df98ea5.png

Top.jpg.9b3097247bacc808a4880939282e4705.jpg

topreveal.jpg.aedc6fc4f3e9306da429421647cb9b3d.jpg

I have an idea for a fun follow-up build, which may appear in 2022. Watch this space.

Until then, I’ve taken the actors back to their barge, filming is wrapped, and I’d better take this old girl back to Amity before she sinks.

Farewell and adieu!

image.png.7b66e949106d01181e2dace6bd129cd5.png

Andy

1 hour ago, FlyingFish said:

Well, I think this project is complete, although I will build a permanent display stand and clear case to display Orca eventually. 

I think this could be the first ‘public’ Orca model to be built true to the traditional method for Novi lobster boat construction using frames; ribbands; ribs and planks, with a keel close to the original, and modelling the engine, and other below decks parts; pilot house as well as the lower trunk deck details, and all the film props. If I was to do this again there are still a few mistakes I would correct, as some dimensions and proportions had to be ‘guestimated’.

It’s been an interesting project, and I have learnt a lot, with help from many members, of course. Including the research and plan drawing there are hundreds of hours in the build. If there had to be a pandemic lockdown, it was not a bad way to pass the time.

Thanks for the 14K+ views and many thumbs up and comments, and the helpful information and advice - it is appreciated and has significantly improved the final model.

So, here’s some final pictures of the complete boat including one showing the decks removed to reveal the interior.

Great job! Turned out really nice!

What a great build and a great log.   Thanks for sharing it with us.   BTW,  I hope you'll put your finished build pics in the Gallery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

FlyingFish,

The final pic, of you standing at the door, is a real keeper.

I'm amazed at how some people have the persistance and skills to keep hammering away at the all superbly crafted fine details till the project is complete.

Awfully well done.

Richard

Congratulations!  Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Beautifully done, quite sad to see it finished. What next?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thanks to all for comments. 

On 1/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, mtaylor said:

I hope you'll put your finished build pics in the Gallery

Done!

22 hours ago, KeithAug said:

What next

A pause to replenish the trout fly boxes; make a garden bird table in the shape of the Parthenon (yes really); and sundry household jobs. Then I have a shortlist of projects to select a candidate for the next build.... à bientôt!

Andy

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I must admit I am a little late to this post but I only discovered it this week as I am constructing a CG version of ORCA myself at this time.

But I have to say this is an incredible build and superb build!!! Absolutely stunning and amazing work!!!! Also the way you have documented and shared your process is also so impressive. Thank you!

I have been working on my model and looking at the film frame by frame to find the various models of the items in the boat such as first aid kits, fish finders, fire extinguishers etc. and the construction methods of traditional Novi boats etc. too and feel like I know almost every inch of the orca and it was great to see every detail added in there on each new page!

Congratulations and such a fantastic model!

2 hours ago, VFX_Chris said:

I must admit I am a little late to this post but I only discovered it this week as I am constructing a CG version of ORCA myself at this time.

But I have to say this is an incredible build and superb build!!! Absolutely stunning and amazing work!!!! Also the way you have documented and shared your process is also so impressive. Thank you!

I have been working on my model and looking at the film frame by frame to find the various models of the items in the boat such as first aid kits, fish finders, fire extinguishers etc. and the construction methods of traditional Novi boats etc. too and feel like I know almost every inch of the orca and it was great to see every detail added in there on each new page!

Congratulations and such a fantastic model!

Welcome to MSW @VFX_Chris please start a build log and show us all your work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 7/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, VFX_Chris said:

I am constructing a CG version of ORCA myself at this time.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. Look forward to seeing your build - you'll find plenty of support from the community here if you choose to post a log. Good luck!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

You are very talented and i must say the attention to detail is far and above any ORCA model ive ever seen. To do all that by hand is truly a gift. 

One thing I was always amazed at was how much equipment we can see on the boat throughout the movie. Especially when the shark jumps on the stern and you see equipment falling left and right, granted it's a movie and I'm sure a lot of that was added for effect. 

I was always curious with the lower cabin and sleeping quarters looked like on the real ORCA. How did you find or design the lower cabin and V berth? Were there any pictures ever of the real boats interior design? ORCA, not the original Warlock...

On 8/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Mark B said:

Were there any pictures ever of the real boats interior design

Yes, I've referenced some in the build, but most came from the movie. You may find this helpful https://movie-screencaps.com/jaws-1975/.

Andy

As this log continues to have folks viewing it, I thought I'd post a link to the Louis Sauzedde 'Tips from a Shipwright' channel. He has begun the build of a full size replica of Orca, with a new post today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYuVwXPwcy0&ab_channel=TipsfromaShipwright

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Andy, I saw some activity at this thread, so I stopped in to see what was going on.  I have been watching Louis Sauzedde for a long time and have spent countless hours watching his videos on boat building.  What a master he is - from selecting wood to the fit and finish, such detailed information.  I didn't realize he was starting an Orca build, so thanks for the heads-up.  I will definitely follow that.

Waiting for your next build, soon I hope - done with the Parthenon?

Gary   

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 1 month later...

Wonderful build! Truly a work of art.  Love the painstaking detail. I can appreciate that as I myself am building a 1:1 scale of the interior cabin only. I’ll be posting short videos on YouTube soon and will try to post info in this website if it is allowed/appropriate. 

Edited by Cort

• 8 months later...

Hey Flying Fish,

I wanted to drop you a note and thank you for the effort you put into the model of the ORCA. Your process was exacting, fun and a genuine sharing of your patience, knowledge and range of creativity.  You have created an extraordinary piece of archival history and it probably belongs in the Smithsonian, or that movie museum out in LA. 

As a wee bit of history- when we rebuilt ORCA I and built ORCA II in the bay next to where we lofted it was a New York 30, BANZAI, owned by Jon Hall and being rebuilt largely by the knowledgeable wooden boat builder, Nat Benjamin.  Nat is now running Gannon and Benjamin, a wooden boat building business, on Vineyard Haven harbor. He helped us get the build right back then. Your effort reminded me of him and how he thinks. (This is a GIGANTIC compliment to you!)

Having worked on both the ORCA I and ORCA II I took an easy trip down memory lane as you recreated much of the labor and parts that I and my crew built and assembled way back in '74. Some of them have passed away, and many I'm still in touch with. Your attention to extreme detail on every item, imaginary and real, is the mark of an historic model maker and I ABSOLUTELY love your photography and running narrative. Your final shot, framed at sea on your model is a classic photograph. I truly love it! (Do you mind if I post it online?)

I feel your effort captured the spirit of the heart of my best carpenters and myself when we made the originals. 

You're Part of the JAWS Crew now! 

Marty Milner, Tallahassee, Fl. 

So again, thank you.

jawsediting.webp