Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/48 scale - POB

Wonderfully done !

The talent around here never ceases to amaze me.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam:

Thanks. I wish I had the talent many of these modelers here have. Maybe one day. :)

Russ

David:

Thanks. With a little luck, I might be able to show some work on the cleats later this evening. Fingers crossed.

Russ

Sherry:

Thanks for dropping in. I appreciate the compliment. :)

Russ

I got in an entire hour in the shop. I made and installed the cleats on the bulwarks.

Here is a photo of what they actually looked like on a schooner. This is a small part of a larger photo, but I am pretty sure this is the deck of the Julia Delacruz, built in 1924.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

Bulwark cleat.jpg

Bulwark cleat port.jpg

stern cleats.jpg

Edited by russ

Beautiful work, Russ, and your research and source material access is fantastic! Really am happy for you that you're getting some time in to work on your build--must feel good getting back into your shop.

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Jay:

Yes, it is a really good feeling to be able to get in there and just make something. I blew an hour and hardly noticed it. :)

I am a research hound so it is easy for me to get lost in research, but I am always glad to be able to apply what I find to my models.

Russ

Russ, I know how you feel these last few days. Nice work on the cleats.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks. I feel so much better when I get into the shop and make some progress. It really calms me and helps me focus.

Russ

John:

Thanks for the kind words.

I have been VERY fortunate in my research on these schooners to have access to local contemporary photos. That is where I get so much good information.

Russ

Russ,

The only comment I can make is a low whistle followed by a soft "wow!".   Looks wonderful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

Thanks. I am really happy with the cleats. Those fastenings will make sure they do not go flying down the road. :)

Russ

The cleats look good.  I've just started noticing this type of cleat on ships.  I suspect it was used more than we know.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks.

In these work boats, they used what they had. The cleats were just really just boards nailed onto the stanchions. In that photo I posted, you can see another thing they did. There is a piece of iron bar through another stanchion up forward, almost like a belaying pin , but it is horizontal rather than vertical.

Russ

Cleaver, those fishermen.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

A most interesting log Russ that clearly demonstrates your approach to the build, to the great benefit of us all.

Beautiful hull lines you have achieved, I think your client will be well pleased.

I find it's always a bad sign when those words I am going to live with it for a few days and then see what I think creep into my mind, more often than not I end up not being able to live with it. :( 

Needs careful consideration before action tho' presumably the starboard hawse hole is slightly larger than the Port, and there's always the risk of making things worse.Those lips look tricky little beggars to make.

Regards,

B.E.

Tough decision. but we make them all the time.  A lot depends on the chains.  You'll make the right choice.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Russ,

It's my experience that if I don't fix it, whenever I look at that boat the error is all I see.

Bob

B.E.:

Thanks for the kind words.

The hawse lips are carved from boxwood. Not that difficult to make once you get the hang of it, but I sized the port side lips a little better. I may change the starboard side lips, but I will look at it later to day and see what I think. The difference is not that much unless you are looking at it under magnification.

Russ

Bob:

99% of the time, I agree. There will be so much going on up in the bow that these lips may not even be seen once they are painted, the anchor chain installed and so forth. I am weighing it today to decide.

Russ