Brunelrussell here, on my third iteration of the funnels (smokestacks) of the Great Eastern.  I recently realized that the two round forward funnels as originally built were slightly smaller than the seven foot longitudinal dimension of the aft ones.  K&S doesn't make most of their larger diameter brass tubes any more, and an inquiry to the company concerning any pieces left in their warehouse got only a 3 foot piece for $100 which, seeing that I only need about 8 inches, seemed a bit steep.  I'm inquiring if anybody out there might have some left over in their scrap bin; I only need about 8 inches.  I will of course pay for materials and your trouble.  Oh, shoot I didn't give the diameter!  It's 13/16ths.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, I should add that two four inch pieces would be fine.

There must surely be other suppliers of brass tube online, brunelrussell. I checked my own stash and the largest I have is only ⅝". On the other hand, does this have to be brass? Rolling a long strip of paper around a mandrel of suitable diameter (spray glued) and painted does the job nicely.

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Your technique of 'rolling your own' will work on the new OcCre Endurance model ... instead of using solid wood dowel with glued-on rings of brass (formed on the same dowel).  Photos of the original stack show flat bands (as you have added of thick stock) - with eyes where 4 guy wires (wire rope, more likely) attach.  Thanks for the tip!

Smooth sailing ...  Johnny

BTW, I found an image of me in costume taken at a US Civil War re-enactment by an Ambrotype artist, and a portion of it is now my Avitar in this forum.  That was years ago before my beard went white.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Mr. L  has given a good source.  There are several options for 7/8" OD brass tubing at McMaster Carr including the heavy one with 0.065 wall thickness.  If you have one, you can take off .03 on a lathe and you will be right at 13/16.    https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing/brass-tubing/

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Precision Scale Model Engineering - PSME - has brass tubing 13/16 OD, 0.753 ID with 0.025 wall, 12 inches long, #TT-2826. 

PSME does not have a web catalog.  There is a web site - PSMESCALE.COM.  Send $12.00 to PSME, 33 Harding St., Milford, MA 01757-2215 and you will receive a print catalog.  I suggest you take the time and money to do this.  As a source for raw-material, hand tools, power tools and tooling, miniature parts, miniature fasteners - anything relating to modeling - it can't be beat.  In comparison, Micro Mark, Model Expo et al.  are junior-league wanna be's.

I mentioned PSME once before and was fairly beat down for suggesting sending money in the mail for a print catalog.  Yet, PSME has exactly what you are looking for.

The catalog's cost is refundable with the first order.

Edited by Charles Green
Additional Information

4 hours ago, Charles Green said:

Precision Scale Model Engineering - PSME - has brass tubing 13/16 OD, 0.753 ID with 0.025 wall, 12 inches long, #TT-2826. 

PSME does not have a web catalog.  There is a web site - PSMESCALE.COM.  Send $12.00 to PSME, 33 Harding St., Milford, MA 01757-2215 and you will receive a print catalog.  I suggest you take the time and money to do this.  As a source for raw-material, hand tools, power tools and tooling, miniature parts, miniature fasteners - anything relating to modeling - it can't be beat.  In comparison, Micro Mark, Model Expo et al.  are junior-league wanna be's.

I mentioned PSME once before and was fairly beat down for suggesting sending money in the mail for a print catalog.  Yet, PSME has exactly what you are looking for.

The catalog's cost is refundable with the first order.

Over the course of many years, I've heard good things about PSME, but have never sprung for a catalog. Can you comment on their pricing, compared to MicroMark and others? 

I wish I could provide specifics to your question.  The pricing is fair but PSME is not a place to shop for bargains.  Most tooling is industrial quality, many items are identified by brand name.  Speaking to the cost and utility of good tools, people involved in the foreign manufacture of cheap tools are said to say that only Americans can afford to buy what they make. 

Far beyond tooling and, what to me is an unbelievable range of raw material, is the fact you can call the owner (508 - 478 - 3148) and inquire with questions on anything he sells.  I needed very small, flanged, sealed ball bearings of a size not listed.  I called him, he called his supplier and I got what I needed.  They offer custom designed, miniature, electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems and custom machining services.  I don't know of any better, single supply source for modelers.    

I contacted PSME and received the following response in less than an hour.

Thanks for the inquiry, and please accept our sincere apologies.

We are out of our printed catalog and will no longer publish a print version.  Currently we are working on a new web site and a web based catalog with no anticipated issue date at this time. PSME is a supplier of tools, materials, hardware, and components for the scale model builder, restorer and detailer, to the electronics technician, the mini/micro mechanical technician and to the robotics field. To assist you with your modeling/robotics pursuits we do have copies of many of our supplier's catalogs for distribution and/or we can send you an e-mail with an attachment of selected products and sections of our "on-line catalog in progress" for your information and use in ordering. Just let us know your area(s) of interest and we will e-mail you the current information. Currently we stock more than 65,000 line items dedicated to the scale model-maker, robotics, electro-mechanics, and related craft fields. Please use our web site ( www.psmescale.com ) as a guide to the types of products we stock to request info on the product areas you are interested in, and feel free to contact us regarding your specific requirements via E-mail ( psme@psmescale.com ) or by phone ( 508-478-3148 ) or FAX (508 478 3590). We look forward to hearing from you and to being of service and assistance. 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...

No luck in finding 13/16 metal tube; hardly anyone has it.  The PMSE web site doesn't provide any means of actually buying anything.  I'm having a helluva time trying to cut my 5/8 inch aluminum in half longitudinally; I thought aluminum was supposed to be relatively soft; must be an alloy.  If I can't 'do' the funnels I can't do the boat.  Frustrating much!

Why do they have to be metal?

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Do you have a Dremel type tool?  If so go to any Hardware Store or Home Improvement Store and buy some abrasive cutting discs and a mandrel.  The Discs that I am suggesting are about 1” in diameter and quite thin.  They are fragile and wear down quick so you’ll need more than one.  They come in a little can and one can should be enough.  It would help to rig up a little guide.

Roger

What about cooper sheet/foil?

https://www.quickshipmetals.com/copper/copper.html

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Back in my RC days I had good luck using Galvanized Flashing. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-6-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Roll-Flashing/3020245

It is even less expensive in sheet form

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-6-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Roll-Flashing/3020245

Use a wooden dowel to roll it to the required diameter and then solder the seam.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey