Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

thank you Pete,

the Progress is not going on so fast in the Moment, because many details are not taken directly from the Amati plan

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hee......hee...........I can visualize you balling up the plans and tossing them behind you   :D   plans are useless when scratch takes over!

looking  great Nils!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

very well spoken, and thanks Popeye,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I think this Version for the swivelgun handles will do...

post-3445-0-76345400-1400874157_thumb.jpg

I am using the 15 mm Long gunbarrels from RB Models web-shop with a little updating. The Pivot boring is predrilled by RB already, with 0,5mm boring in about 1 mm depth only (not through), and the Little hole at the barrel-end is made with aid of a small gig, the handle is soldered in 0,8mm brass wire and a small metal bead is slipped onto the wire and AC glued at the end

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Richard,

thanks very much for your appreciation

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very nice work Nils , I think The swivelguns look great . I like how you have put this build together

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hello Nils, very nice progress but I think the eyelets slightly too large for this scale aren't they????

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comment,

I know eyelets could be much smaller, I`m taking that in account, regardless to the scale in this case, probably it is from the experience with the rigging of the recent built tallships where there was quite some tension on all eyelets for steelwire shrouds, stays, backstays, yardlifts, etc, and what I would`nt want at all is a self opening eyelet from tension in a Position I have no more access to afterwards. Of course with this ship there are no steel wires to strumm, it`s just to be on the safe side for forestanding reasons. Once the eyelets are tackled permanently they will be closed by bending the Loop as Close as possible.

Would gladly hear of experience made by others regarding safe anchoring points

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thanks Tom,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

today doing the roughtree rails

post-3445-0-53567600-1401112933_thumb.jpg

the ends made in metal

post-3445-0-16347500-1401112937_thumb.jpg

hight check is OK

post-3445-0-88139900-1401112939_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-16394000-1401112942_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful workmanship Nils!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael,

those gunposts were always Standing around the Quarterdeck, and I was anxoius I would knock against something by mistake and break them off, now that seems under control

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looking good Nils, I love all the detail work that you have done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Thank you Pete,

As you have seen I do`nt necessarily Need to stick 100% to the plan with this scratch build..

Cheers

Nils

Hi Nigel,

yes, you`re right some of the ideas come like a Flash and may even be changed whilst doing in order to suit better. For example I did`nt like those belaying Pins on the lower quarter rail cut out of plank, now they are made from round, it gave me a little bit the Impression of a jawbone of a potwhale, with the ivory teeth. The use of unpainted brass along with the Wood tones is obligatory for my optical appeal system

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Aft supports for the roughtree rail and belaying pin racks

post-3445-0-82366800-1401193516_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80933300-1401193519_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-31957400-1401193522_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13155600-1401193525_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

looking pretty sweet Nils!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Nils -- At long last I've come across your log, and have to say that you're building a beautiful ship.  The detail is lovely.

Martin

Hello Martin,

thank you for visiting my log.

At the beginning of my own decision for a "Swan Class vessel making" (Fly or Pegasus)I was also a bit irritated by the Amati kit contents such as castings for quarterbadge and sternplate. After asking the Amati dealer, I was told that the Pegusus had no metal castings but layer photo-etched brass sheets that would give a halfway 3D effect. I found this very interesting, because never seen before, and the result from MSW fellow builders Pictures encouraged me then to purchase the Pegasus plan together with these etched parts and to do a scratch-build Version. What I like with some of the HMS Fly Models displayed, is the creme-White Sub waterline paint finish. Maybe yours shall show this as well.

Wish you ongoing good success with yours and much fun as I am having in setting her together, also getting all this inspitation that MSW comunity provides...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

looking pretty sweet Nils!   ;)

Thank you Popeye,

I hope that I can get the forecastle deckrails (without a roughtree rail) done in the same way, but would have to Change some of the already neat Fitting glued on parts (hopefully without destroying anything else in doing so)

I`m glad I did`nt fit the catbeams and the upper bow rails yet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

Once again I just had an (imaginary) stroll through your amazing Pegasus. Wonderful!

By the way – what are your plans for the rigging? None, plain or with sails?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

nice to hear from you again, and thanks for your words...

I had really planed to do full rigged sails, always hoping that the one or other of the fellow builder would set sails to a good breeze well ahead of me, so I can see what it Looks like. In my mind I see a White swan blustering its feathers a bit, drifting over the lake in a gentle wind. I also remember That Danny (his wonderfull Vulture 1:48) once mentioned that too many sails would hinder the sight into the outcut hull and -decks and I share his opinion there.

For the standing and possibly the running rigging I trust and hope there shall be some very well done presentations on the Swan Classes rigging on MSW in due time, and last not least with aid of the Amati plan. When the time for rigging is reached, I will have to groove myself in first anyhow. I think Glen Barlow once mentioned that he spent so much accureness and functioning ropes into the running rigging Detail, that the ship could be sailed if magnified to actual size.

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much for your words Geoff,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

Yes, I think we all like those … swans. A noble cloud of sails sure must be a glorious sight, but Danny certainly is right as well.

A possible solution could be to set not all of the sails, the swan not blustering all of its feathers, so to speak. Depending on the situation you decide to show your Pegasus in, there are almost unlimited combinations of sails set, hauled up or furled possible. You just have to choose one, where you have a good view of the decks and still a pleasantly balanced arrangement of sails. An example could be that picture (from Peeter Goodwins The Ships of Trafalgar) showing Thunderer hove to.

I’m looking forward to your solution of that tricky problem. ;)

Cheers

Peter

post-504-0-95552200-1401359565_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Peter,

you are reflecting exactly my thoughts I have in mind....., thats a nice Picture resembling a great Inspiration for sail Setting on a model, probably I´ll go for a good compromize solution like that. Your own rigging with partial furled and hauled up sails is also a good Version for orientation...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Today the Access ladder to the forecastle deck is fitted for Position check

I know this may not be historicly wise correct, but I just could`nt mount those Little "pigeon-ladders" the way the plan shows. Leaving awy the forecastle bulkhead anyhow, the underneath area would be open, and the captain claimed a propper stair there after slipping off the foreseen ladder of the plan several times

The ladder now neatly fits in between the first and the second starboard gun, without hindering the tackles there

post-3445-0-70267100-1401457508_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-97292000-1401457511_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-40482900-1401457514_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The ladder looks great , Good job Nils

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member :