HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Hi Doris,

many thanks for your appreciative words, its great to find you back at the Forum...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hallo Nils

About ship modeling being an art form: Yes. Maybe a bit less if you just put a kit together as an exact copy of 200 similar models but then again it will never be an exact copy and always show traces of your individual style, your artistic skills.

I like the definition of art according to the German Wikipedia which supports a more general understanding of what it is: 

‘Das Wort Kunst bezeichnet im weitesten Sinne jede entwickelte Tätigkeit, die auf Wissen, Übung, Wahrnehmung, Vorstellung und Intuition gegründet ist.‘

That roughly translates as:

Art describes in the broadest sense every advanced activity which is based on knowledge, practice, cognition, imagination and intuition.

Yes, Nils, you are definitely an artist.

I read about your intention to rig a full set of sails – great, this will certainly improve your artistic skills even further. Adding the details of the rigging with the same meticulousness you already demonstrated will make your Pegasus a really outstanding object of art – and will be quite a challenge requiring all your knowledge, practice, cognition, imagination and intuition.

Cheers

(Just asking myself if thoughtfully and carefully drinking a cool, fine beer with all the practice you have and the entire appraisal the brewer deserves could be defined as art?) :cheers:

Peter

Peter,

Thank you very much for your kind and appreciative words.

Agree with the praise of the beer brewer when a nice cool beer hisses down after work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Build log part 53

Still doing the masting, top platforms and started tackling the bowsprit

post-3445-0-27715500-1407845649_thumb.jpg

self made "heart blocks" for the stays and violin block

post-3445-0-86242400-1407845651_thumb.jpg

All blocks put on

post-3445-0-61110300-1407845653_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-25011700-1407845657_thumb.jpg

The Standing rigging for the bowsprit can be put on...

post-3445-0-64589900-1407845660_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-07216100-1407845663_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32942300-1407845666_thumb.jpg

lazy day at the Fitting out shipyard

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lovely work, Nils.  What wood did you use to carve the heart blocks?  They look spot on -- consistently shaped, smooth, and detailed.  Your seizing is also to be commended for its tightness and consistency.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Some great shots Nils, its been a while since we've seen the overall effect, shes looking very nice indeed. I especially like the deck shot, seems to come alive with the figures.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Martin,

the heart blocks are made of brass, I can do them faster than from Wood, and because I had some suitable profiles at Hand. The wooden heart blocks looked too clumsy for my eye, and the Profile takes the stay rope safe and secure.

Here a Little Hand scetch to explain how I did it...

post-3445-0-70035900-1407851618_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Jason,

I trust the rigging in total shall be quite challanging to do, especially when the sails are also rigged, all the upper Yards with their sails will have to be hoisted to a higher Level. The more I study the Amati plan, the more I find on foreseen running rigging lines, etc....

For example rigging and setting the bowlines only makes sense when the sails are set and the ship is on high course to the wind (Amati shows the bowline running rigging as well !)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

David,

its an older digitable Casio camera type Exilim, EX-Z60, with 6 Megapixels, which has been accompaning me reliably all these years already

I am missing a feature fo macro shots but would have to invest much more for including that.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

super shots of the overall ship Nils........your setting your self up for some mighty fine rigging ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

I`m trying to follow and understand the function of every rigging line (Standing and running) in order to put them on as realistic as possible. I am intending to brace the sails nearly to the shrouds and hope that the foreseen belaying Points will allow to do so without major changes to the plan

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The more I study the Amati plan, the more I find on foreseen running rigging lines, etc....

For example rigging and setting the bowlines only makes sense when the sails are set and the ship is on high course to the wind (Amati shows the bowline running rigging as well !)

Nils

I suspect plans are all similarly limited, even from the better kit providers.  Certainly on the Snake plans, I found it very difficult to figure out what was really going on and what had been simplified, but maybe that is just down to my inexperience.  I found using a reference book like Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models"  and Lever's "Young Sea Officers sheet achor" very helpful to translate the lines and 'blobs' on the plan into something visual.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Nice work on the rigging details Nils.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful work Nils, The masting looks fantastic, Incredible

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

plans can sometimes be confusing as to where a line originates and where it terminates. most of them are mainly the simplified rigging schematics. I've also found a few sites online that show some really neat stuff.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Jason,

I`ll be on the watch for Petersson`s books, found some Details on the web from www.all-model.com/rigging

Michael,

Thanks for your words, I invested into a set of blocks from Chuck`s Syren shop. For the different diam. ropes I`ll stay with Polyester thread in appropriate dimensions, as I experienced that the (better looking ropes) from natural threads are too elastic for stays and shrouds...

Pete,

Thanks for your appreciative comment,

its my first 18th century ship, so I hope There wo`nt be too much done wrong

Popeye,

I can share your experience on the sometimes confusing line-start and where it is leading to.... Once the function is understood ist a lot easier

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great looking work on the bowsprit and masts Nils. Vol.4 of TFFM is as complete a source for the rigging of a Swan class as you can get. It's well worth the investment.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for your tip with Antscherls Vol. 4.

I just had a look at your 1:48 Kingfisher again, it is so wonderful, what a treat !

BTW. just a question..., perhaps Bob you may know, Thanks in advance

I noticed that on the plan there are no precautions for rigging any Stay- or jib-sails, is this a swan class own speciality, to sail without ?.

For example here enclosed a scetch I borrowed from the web, showing a 3 mast frigate , I mean the sails # R,O,U,S,P,M,T,Q,N

Would all These triangle have to be rigged as well when doing a full set of sails ?

I have never seen a Picture showing a swan class with full sails, what does Vol. 4 say ?

post-3445-0-33105100-1407866111_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Pete,

Thanks for your appreciative comment,

its my first 18th century ship, so I hope There wo`nt be too much done wrong

Nils

Hi Nils,  I would have never guessed this is your first 18th century ship , nothing will go wrong , you have this dialed in

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Love those full shots of your Pegasus Nils, she is an impressive build.

Interesting comment of yours re use of polyester thread. I have a full set of Morope lines which have great definition but I find them more elastic than natural fibre lines. Because I like to impart some sag into certain lines, something almost impossible to do with polyester I will probably revert to the natural stuff when I get around the rigging business.

I find a well stretched natural line is easier to handle, and will take a natural looking sag, imparting a weightiness to lines such as the Main Stay and braces.

Regards,

B.E.

Thanks Crackers,

yes, Doris`s approval is always very encouraging, she is utmost knowlegable, as can be seen on her models

Bob,

many thanks, I trust that book will be one of my next Investments. At least I already know that I shall have to face the rigging of jib- and stay sails as well..., this means many more lines, belaying Points and block tackles than the Amati plan shows

Omega,

thank you for your appreciative words I like very much...

Pete,

without owning any of these obviously fantastic naval constructing books that some of you fellow builders are Holding I probably will be missing details I did`nt even know that they should / could be made and integrated

B.E.

agree, the weight related sag of lines, orientated on the actual ship rigging is probably "the dot on the i" for an authentic model. (high skill Level !)

I love to go into your Pegasus log now and then for studying various Details, like open heart collars for slipping back the jib-boom, flagpole on the spritboom cap, rudder coat, Z-form joining on the outer top platform supports, woolding below the outer cheeks , etc,...

I have too Little experience on 18th century ships and their rigging myself to know what "backstage" can and should be considered to put on a model, other than the plan Shows (although I am quite impressed of Chris Watton`s Amati plan Quality and drawing details)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, I only have 2 books on Boat building ( It's all I ever needed )

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-34793200-1407944301.jpg

post-7445-0-68345000-1407944322.jpg

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Pete,

you`re a lucky guy if you can do without more books...

many queries can be settled on this Forum, and besides that there still is the web with many answers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, those are the only 2 books that I have ever needed , everything else I have found on the net, and right here on this forum , and now we will have access to the NRG. so we are in a good spot

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

I suspect plans are all similarly limited, even from the better kit providers.  Certainly on the Snake plans, I found it very difficult to figure out what was really going on and what had been simplified, but maybe that is just down to my inexperience.  I found using a reference book like Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models"  and Lever's "Young Sea Officers sheet achor" very helpful to translate the lines and 'blobs' on the plan into something visual.

Hi Jason,

today I found and ordered the edition: Petersson's "Rigging Period Ship Models" from a reasonable offer at Ebay, hope that shall bring some more detailed knowledge for my rigging process when the post arrives from the UK next week, thanks again for your tip

I would have liked to find a priceworthy second Hand David Antscherl`s Volume 4, like Bob suggested but there are only new books that come round about 90 USD incl. postage to Europe

Bow sprit rigging is nearly completed...

post-3445-0-03260200-1408106665_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-27322600-1408106704_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed